Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Maya Hawke (daughter of Ethan/Uma) is speaking out about being a nepotism baby

Maya Hawke said that having famous parents comes with "massive advantages in life," but that she works hard and doesn't take the chances that she gets for granted.

The actor and musician, who is the daughter of actors Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman, said that she has "no idea" who she would be were she not the daughter of two celebrities. However, she told Rolling Stone that she's aware of the privileges that she's been afforded.

"I feel like the only way to handle the nepotism thing — which definitely gives you massive advantages in this life — is, you will get chances for free, but the chances will not be infinite," Hawke told Rolling Stone. "So you have to keep working and do a good job. If you do a bad job, the chances will stop. That's my ethos."

Hawke stars as Robin on the Netflix series "Stranger Things," which she joined during its third season in 2019.

Now, on the heels of the show's fourth season that concluded in July, Hawke is gearing up to release her next album "Moss" on September 23.

Her comments echo those that she made in a 2020 Nylon profile, where she said that she will "try as hard as I can to be brilliant" in the opportunities that she receives, because they'll stop "if I suck enough."

The actor told Rolling Stone that she deals with criticism related to nepotism by not interacting with "either the haters or the complimenters" regularly.

"I love this piece of advice I've gotten, which is that if you read the good reviews, they're partly true, and if you read the bad things that people say, they're also partly true," Hawke said. "You're not God's gift to humanity, nor are you a little dirty garbage wrap. You're neither and you're both."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2023 9:14 PM

To be fair, this is the one topic that lots of celebrities probably do have somewhat valid opinions on.

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2023 7:57 PM

Oh please stfu. Gtfoh. Enough already with these privileged bitches talking rubbish

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2023 8:10 PM

Christ she's homely. Weird how two very attractive people can produce a fuggo kid.

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2023 8:30 PM

Maya answered the questions correctly. Leave out the "but" next time and the response is perfect.

Good looks are not a requirement for any performer, but it helps. Good looks are an advantage just as having family in the industry is an advantage.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2023 8:38 PM

She sounds reasonable and intelligent. She's very cute, too; has her mother's mouth. Her father needs to trim that fucking scraggly, grizzled beard, though.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2023 9:08 PM

The nepo babies now lack talent. They’re just TikTok trash.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2023 9:10 PM

I'm sick of nepo babies, I want them to go away and be SILENT for a while, or forever.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2023 9:14 PM

Oh please. All the whiners here complaining about "nepo babies" would literally drop dead from overwhelming excitement if they ever met their idol, Liza Minelli. The OG nepo baby.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2023 9:50 PM

Liza Minnelli is one of a handful of people who would've made it on their own. She was too unique and talented to go unnoticed.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2023 9:52 PM

For every one genuine talent like Liza Minnelli you get ten Kate Hudsons.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2023 9:52 PM

While I'm glad this convo happened, I'm wondering if any of these celebrities actually believe theit "humble" responses.

I'm glad this happened anyway because these celebs live in a bubble and I think they believe that they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps all by themselves with no help anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2023 9:58 PM

Back in the 70's and 80's Hollywood nepo babies weren't as disliked as they are today. There were not as many of them and they had to possess some talent or else they no longer were cast in productions As well, people like John Travolta, Tom Cruise, and Brad Pitt could still become stars despite their non-glamourous backgrounds. Now it seems like most young stars are either nepo babies or they came up through the Disney system.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2023 10:28 PM

She isn’t more than a “meh”…….

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2023 10:42 PM

She look like Dakota Johnson less attractive sister if that’s at all possible

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2023 10:43 PM

I like her, and enjoy her as an actress. I hope she sticks around.

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2023 11:16 PM

I like this kid. She was excellent as Jo March in the television miniseries. Her Jo was much better than Saoirse Ronan's version.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2023 11:26 PM

Another benefit of being a nepo baby… dad just cast her in the movie he’s making.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2023 11:40 PM

Spoken like a true Legacy.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2023 11:45 PM

Nothing special about her, nobody would hire her if she didn't have famous parents.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2023 11:51 PM

That’s the case of most nepo babies. If only more were like Jane Fonda, who openly acknowledges she is privileged and has a career because she was was the daughter of Henry Fonda

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2023 11:56 PM

Jane Fonda also would've made it on her own. She had real talent and she was also gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2023 12:02 AM

R22 talent doesn’t equal success buddy.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2023 12:05 AM

r22 Jane Fonda would've made it on her own. So would Liza and probably Michael Douglas.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2023 12:31 AM

R23 again. There’s no telling because talent doesn’t equal success. You seem stupid.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2023 12:38 AM

r24 anybody would tell you Jane would've made it. She just had "it." Just because someone has a famous parent doesn't mean you can automatically write them off. Granted, most of them are not talented but Jane is one of a few examples of someone who was.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2023 12:42 AM

Again. We don’t know that.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2023 1:17 AM

r26 it's been said by people many times. Anyone who is familiar with Jane's work would pretty much agree.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2023 1:19 AM

R27. It can be said over and over. No one knows that.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2023 1:21 AM

Well r28 I guess you don't pay attention to what experts say. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2023 1:22 AM

Links r29?

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2023 1:23 AM

r30 there could be a hundred testimonies and you'd never believe them anyway so whatever.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2023 1:26 AM

Links???

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2023 3:18 AM

Whenever I see an ugly person on the screen, I think to myself, "now who is this humunculous related to?" On the Mansfield to Mamet scale, she's closer to Mamet

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2023 3:26 AM

Ethan looks like shit

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2023 11:21 AM

I think Jane Fonda would have made it IF she got a break in something which led to her getting a decent agent which led to her getting into auditions for bigger parts which led to a juicy part which led to some director seeing her and calling her in for a major feature…..

There’s so many things that have to line up. I think Jane had/had “it” and I think she’s a talent but it’s just as likely that she would have landed into town, worked in a coffee shop, sent out her resume, gone to class and never got before anyone who could give her a break.

That’s why people hate nepo babies. They all seem to miss that getting a first part or a good agent is 99% of the battle. 99% do not get that far including graduates of the most prestigious acting schools. Decent B list agents gets hundreds of headshots from stunners - they don’t call any of them and the A list agencies don’t develop talent - unless they are already repping your parent or attending their dinner parties!

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2023 9:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!