Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tom Hanks nominated for three 'Razzies'

His recent hit film "Elvis" is an Oscars frontrunner, but Tom Hanks was left all shook up Monday as he earned three nominations from the Razzies, which "celebrate" the year's worst films.

Hanks was short-listed by the tongue-in-cheek awards for his roles as Presley's manager in rock 'n' roll biopic "Elvis," and Geppetto in Disney's critically slated live-action "Pinocchio" remake.

A press release from organizers of the Razzies dubbed Hanks' "Elvis" role as "2022's most widely derided performance," and piled on a further nomination for "worst screen couple" to "Tom Hanks & His Latex-Laden Face (and Ludicrous Accent)."

While "Elvis" and its star Austin Butler have generally received acclaim, Hanks' appearance as his exploitative manager Colonel Tom Parker was panned by many critics.

A New York Times review said Hanks appears "with a mountain of prosthetic goo, a bizarre accent and a yes-it's-really-me twinkle in his eyes," and portrays Parker as "part small-time grifter, part full-blown Mephistopheles."

"Disney's Pinocchio" was among five "worst picture" nominees for the annual Golden Raspberry -- or Razzie -- awards, as was the controversial Marilyn Monroe biopic "Blonde."

Also in the running were regular Razzies punching bag Jared Leto, and his Spider-Man spinoff "Morbius."

Just last year, Leto was named worst supporting actor for his flamboyant performance -- complete with a campy Italian accent and heavy prosthetics -- in "House of Gucci."

The Razzies are usually announced the day before the Oscars, serving to mock the following night's self-congratulatory Tinseltown back-slapping.

But last year, the Razzies themselves were left embarrassed, after jokingly creating a new category labelled "Worst Performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 Movie" to accommodate all of the former "Die Hard" star's questionable output.

Organizers rescinded the prize after his family revealed Willis suffered from a cognitive illness called aphasia.

Nominations for this year's Academy Awards will be announced on Tuesday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 4:54 AM

Finally some awards nominations I can get behind.

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2023 5:07 PM

He forgot how to act or something, because he has delivered terrible performances for the last decade or so. He's become a parody of himself.

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2023 5:27 PM

I never found him a good actor. He started doing mostly undemanding comedies, and then began winning awards with horrible overacting. And, of course, Forrest Gump.

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2023 7:08 PM

Do the Razzies hand out lifetime achievement awards? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2023 7:17 PM

R4 You made me laugh out loud at my desk and I'm sure my coworkers think I'm a weirdo now, but it's worth it. Thank you for that.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2023 7:25 PM

He's a frontrunner for this one. It's the worst performance of his entire career, and it's not even close. He ruined the film.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2023 7:28 PM

Tom Hanks made three good movies.

Bachelor Party.

The Money Pit.

Big.

It was all downhill after that.

He really should stick to comedy.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2023 10:04 PM

Weird, usually the Razzies are more interested in hating women.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2023 10:26 PM

I would add That Thing You Do to R7's list.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2023 10:37 PM

I like the one about the crashed plane and the soccer ball.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2023 10:51 PM

It doesn't make it better, it actually makes it worse on the part of Hanks, but I think he didn't have the balls to play Parker as Parker was presented in the screenplay - as just a straight-up very bad person.

I think playing an outright villain was beyond Hanks' skill set, and comfort zone, given his nice-guy public image.

(And, as an aside, Parker's portrayal in the "Elvis" screenplay as a super-villain didn't sit well with people who actually knew Parker and Presley. People who knew both say that their partnership was on a more equal footing that what the "Elvis" screenplay portrays.)

So, Hanks concocted an over-the-top performance so he could wink at his audience and save his nice-guy image.

I can't think of any other explanation for his Snidely Whiplash impersonation.

And Luhrmann himself didn't have the balls to rein his superstar in, when maybe he wanted to,

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2023 11:38 PM

[quote] And, as an aside, Parker's portrayal in the "Elvis" screenplay as a super-villain didn't sit well with people who actually knew Parker and Presley. People who knew both say that their partnership was on a more equal footing that what the "Elvis" screenplay portrays.

This is 100% correct. Some people love to portray managers and agents as these evil super controlling masterminds, and maybe some are but what's forgotten for the most part is they work for the artist not the other way around. I watched an interview with the real Parker and he said explicitly that nobody told Presley what to do, that he picked his own songs, and Parker wasn't even allowed in the studio when songs were being recorded. I believe this because it matched other corroborating stories from the entourage that surrounded him 24/7. The colonel had the industry connections elvis did not and elvis had the talent that the colonel did not so it was a fair trade. Also, watching the interview Tom Hanks totally fucked up on the voice and mannerisms and the overall demeanor of the colonel so much so that it looks like Tom did no research for the part, which is shocking because he's obviously no rookie in the business. I think when artists die prematurely the public looks for someone to blame which is typically the mangers, but they have less of a say about the day to day activities than people think. Fame makes these people think they are gods and they behave like it as well. The truth is elvis died because of his over the top lifestyle, his poor eating habits, and his drug use. It was nobody else's fault.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 4:38 AM

He’s the most overexposed actor ever.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 4:42 AM

[quote] Tom Hanks totally fucked up on the voice and mannerisms and the overall demeanor of the colonel so much so that it looks like Tom did no research for the part, which is shocking because he's obviously no rookie in the business

I think he was doing his ridiculous accent from the The Ladykillers.

He probably thought he could phone in the performance and just re-create that accent for Col. Parker.

Obviously, he was wrong about that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 4:46 AM

They can spin it all they want, but Otto looks like a turd with a capital T!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 4:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!