Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I feel intense schadenfreude over heterosexual divorce.

Not every divorce or couple, mind you, just the ones who were ostentatious with their engagement, pre-wedding events, and wedding. Bridezillas and groomzillas especially. A couple I know are getting divorced. Both of them were so pretentious from the proposal to the wedding and beyond. Acted as though the world should stop spinning for their wedding. Now it’s over after less than 5 years. I’m so happy I want to celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2023 3:28 PM

I love the smell of acrimony in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2023 4:17 PM

Even heterosexuals feel that way, OP!

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2023 10:25 PM

It's all about the $$$ and attention

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2023 11:21 PM

We all feel that way. It’s hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 12:42 AM

Well, it IS a sick and twisted life.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 12:50 AM

They're not even nice to each other's families at the really big events. The brides in particular are just "ME, ME, ME". And all the petty score-setttling the happy couple dish out by excluding family members fron the official photos, refusing to have their photos taken with certain family members (in one case the family member asking had terminal cancer, FGS), and seating people in awkward arrangements because they want to separate certain people from each other.

The last one I went to put me off weddings for life, not that I've ever liked them. There was hardly any food, despite promises of a decent meal, and it was made very clear no gifts were wanted, just money. Having been quite generous with the amount of cash I'd given, I felt like taking it back after we were served tiny morsels of food. Quite a few people spoke out loud the same sentiments. I kept quiet on that subject, but if we'd been asked to hand over the gift cards filled with cash after being served, I doubt much would have been given. Everyone commented that they were starving and it was noticed those seated at the bridal table got huge amounts of food. Everyone else: not much at all.

We'd all travelled several hours by car to be there, had to pay for a hotel suite, and all that went on was petty BS and family squabbles, a lot of it initiated by the bride. I've never looked at the bride and groom the same. They won't divorce, though. They've each been dumped so many times previously.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 5:59 AM

I am the same way with gay couples.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 6:01 AM

Actually I hate weddings because of the chance of drama. Last one I went to was a wedding of a veterinarian and she was revealed to be a mean drunk. Her father (also a veterinarian) showed up late and also drunk after she got more and more drunk and enraged waiting for him. She had a huge fight with he dad and ended up getting someone else to walk her down the aisle. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2023 8:51 AM

R6, Italian wedding, eh?

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2023 9:05 AM

If it's over before 5 years then they have been unhappy for a while I should imagine. Probably from almost the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2023 9:06 AM

R9, one of the few decent weddings I've been to was Italian. No noticeable drama and way too much food and good wine.

The really bad wedding was between two Australians, third or fourth generation at least on each side.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 10:31 AM

An Italian wedding without enough food? Not highly likely.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 10:39 AM

It almost seems like the ones that make a huge deal about it are the most likely to divorce. I suppose because they're the ones who buy into a dramatic romance or social showing while the ones most likely to last are simply best friends and/or share the same values, not likely to throw a lot of money at a wedding.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 10:43 AM

I have the reverse reaction to OP's. I am even more incensed when people who demanded I pay heaps of money and vastly more attention than it warranted to their stupid wedding give up five minutes later. They weren't ever interested in the marriage, only in the attention a wedding would bring.

Whatever you do, don't give them attention for the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 10:55 AM

As a single person that struggles at times to get by, I inwardly smile when I see a couple divorce that consistently lived large, bragged about how much they spent and on what and generally assumed a smug, self-righteous attitude towards others. I don't care whether their relationship lasts or not, but just that their idea that without warning, they too can find themselves with less money, no big house, no new car and expensive vacations.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 11:06 AM

These often sound from the get go like horrible people. Why do you go to their weddings in the first place? Sounds like you deserve what you get.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2023 11:20 AM

Yeah I never get the people who complain about these weddings. Why do you go in the first place? Even if they are relatives you don't sound very close to them to make it worth spending the time and money.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2023 3:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!