Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cheesy Baked Pumpkin Pasta With Kale

I made this today. It's still cooling. It was a LOT of work. It BETTER be good. I'm going to cut it up into four or five portions, wrap each portion in aluminum foil and freeze them. I will eat one portion every other week. I want be eating the first portion until a week from Tuesday. I will let the datalounge know at that time if it was good. I fucked up one thing. I forgot to put in the vegetable broth. I bought a whole container of it at Trader Joe's. So that was a waste of money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2023 6:58 PM

I think some prunes would be an excellent addition to this recipe. The contrast of color.

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2023 12:33 AM

Are they dollops of cream in the picture?

Is cream suitable for freezing?

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2023 12:38 AM

R2- I forgot to do that. I just mixed the ricotta in with everything else- the pumpkin mixture and the grated cheese, but once the casserole was assembled I sprinkled plenty of the parmesan, fontina and gruyere cheese on top before putting it in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2023 12:42 AM

It looks good, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2023 12:44 AM

The OP has a closed link.

I wonder if the pumpkin is cut into small pieces before baking.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2023 12:58 AM

Why don't you enjoy the vegetable broth for a different meal. Why a waste?

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2023 1:02 AM

R5- You use canned pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2023 2:12 AM

R7 is me OP

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2023 2:12 AM

-Arguably one of the coziest autumnal dishes you can make in under an hour, this cheesy pumpkin pasta doesn’t rely on a roux. Instead, the sauce is made simply by blending canned pumpkin, cream and vegetable stock. And because the pasta bakes in a flash — just 10 to 15 minutes at 500 degrees — the most time-consuming part of the entire recipe is grating all that cheese.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2023 2:12 AM

-Butter, for greasing the pan 1 pound medium pasta shells or tubes, like conchiglie rigate or penne 1 bunch kale (about 1 pound), ribs removed, chopped into bite-size pieces ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes 1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish 1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish About 1 heaping cup coarsely grated Parmesan About 1 heaping cup coarsely grated Gruyère About 1 heaping cup coarsely grated Fontina or mozzarella 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée 2 garlic cloves, peeled 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for pasta water ½ teaspoon black pepper ½ cup heavy cream

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2023 2:13 AM

-¼ cup vegetable broth ½ cup whole-milk ricotta.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2023 2:14 AM

-Heat oven to 500 degrees and butter a shallow 2-quart/9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Step 2 Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 4 minutes, adding the kale for the last minute. Drain the pasta and kale, rinse under cold water, then transfer to a large bowl along with the red-pepper flakes and the chopped herbs.

Step 3 In a blender, add the pumpkin, garlic, salt, pepper, cream and vegetable broth. Blend until smooth. (If you don’t want to use a blender, add the pumpkin, salt and pepper to a large bowl and use a spoon to break it up into a smooth mixture. Slowly whisk in the cream and vegetable broth until mixture is smooth, then grate in the garlic.) Add the sauce to the bowl with the pasta. Add in most of the grated cheese, reserving about ½ cup, and stir to coat.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2023 2:14 AM

-Transfer the pasta into the baking dish, then dollop the ricotta over top and sprinkle remaining grated cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until brown and bubbly. If you want the pasta really browned, broil it for 3 to 5 minutes, watching carefully. Allow the dish to cool for 5 to 10 minutes, and garnish with additional chopped herbs before serving.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2023 2:14 AM

R5- There you go. The entire NYT recipe for Cheesy Baked Pumpkin Pasta With Kale

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2023 2:15 AM

45 minutes? Can’t I just buy it in a store somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2023 2:17 AM

I know nothing of cooking, but 500 degrees seems a bit high for what sounds like a casserole. The burning splatter in the oven would probably set off my smoke detector.

Also, with 3 heaping cups of cheese, you'd better have a side of Metamucil.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2023 2:27 AM

R15- It is a LOT of work to prepare. One of the FRAUS wrote a letter under the recipe saying that all the effort was not worth the end result after she tasted it - not her exact words bit a similar sentiment.

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2023 2:28 AM

R16-When I have a portion for lunch a week from Tuesday I will be eating a large salad ( LOTS of fiber) before I dig into the casserole.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2023 2:29 AM

R18= Me (OP)

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2023 2:29 AM

It’d be better with pumpkin spice.

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2023 2:39 AM

R20 = (OP) Me

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2023 3:07 AM

I make a sumptuous cheesy baked pumpkin pasta with kale that even diabetics will risk going into shock for!

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2023 3:21 AM

NYT recipes SUCK.

They’re on par with Martha Stewart recipes, which is only to say that they’re for the viewing pleasure of people who don’t cook at all.

I got suckered by four of their recipes—they’re always labor intensive with little return on investment.

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2023 3:22 AM

Canned pumpkin is cheating.

It is chockfull of emulsifiers, sugar, salts and other secret ingredients and well as the ecologically-indefensible single-use packaging which goes straight to landfill.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2023 3:36 AM

Well gee, aren't you just that little sunbeam Jesus wanted, r24.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2023 5:18 AM

[quote] that little sunbeam Jesus wanted

I am Greta Thunberg.

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2023 5:38 AM

I think someone is confusing canned pumpkin with pumpkin pie filling. Canned pumpkin is actually squash that is cooked and pureed. Foods do not lose fiber in the pureeing process. I have baked and pureed pumpkin and found it a lot of work for not much payoff.

This pumpkin pasta recipe approximates macaroni and cheese without cheddar. I don't think the kale is a great choice because, once again, a lot of prep work for something that's too fibrous to be tasty.

I've attached an easier pumpkin pasta sauce. Add parm and sausage. Veggies on the side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2023 5:46 AM

I'm with R24, slap me now.... but canned pumpkin is rubbish. Just tray bake the pumpkin in a hot oven first so that it gets some flavor on it.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2023 6:30 AM

I made a small pasta casserole today with penne, yellow squash, zucchini, spinach, yellow/orange bell pepp (all fresh), italian sausage, a jar of arrabiata sauce, onion/garlic/shallots, grated parmesan and fennel seed/dried basil all topped with mozzarella and a sprinkle of dried rosemary from the garden.

Sweated the onions/garlic/shallots, added it sausage until not pink, dumped in bell peppers until slightly softened then added arrabiatta. Started with a layer of sauce mixture, then layered dried pasta, more sauce, then squash pieces and topped with spinach and sprinkle of parmesan (2 layers like this), ended with a layer of sauce and a little less than 1/4 c. water for the pasta, then mozz slices and dried rosemary over all. Baked about an hour and a half.

Very hearty, came out okay, but next time I'd definitely use fresh basil but didn't have any and maybe another link of it sausage to make it more meaty (or sliced mushrooms instead). I would not use slices of mozz and would grate instead because I found it to be too cheesy on top. Over all though, pretty good and I'll freeze separate portions of leftovers. Glad to not have to boil pasta separately and it came out the perfect consistency.

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2023 6:55 AM

Some people don't realize you can make either sweet potato or pumpkin gnocchi - and either way is just as delicious if not more delicious than plain white potato gnocchi. Very easy to make.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2023 9:26 AM

and here's pumpkin using canned pumpkin, but there are many versions starting with baking pumpkin or squash from the store

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2023 9:29 AM

That's so pretentious R31.

by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2023 9:33 AM

I used canned pumpkin 🎃 which is organic with no sugar or salt added- it’s just plain puréed pumpkin.

and R21 is not me. The NYT recipe does not call for pumpkin spice and I did not put it in the casserole 🥘.

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2023 11:55 AM

Datalounge people I finally ate a portion of this for lunch today. I was concerned it would be a bit dried out. It was not dry at all. It was quite tasty but I'm not sure I would bother to make it again. It was a LOT of work and the end result was good but probably not worth going to the trouble of making again. I'm the same person who posted in December or November a thread for a NYT recipe for Lasagne with Roasted Eggplant and Marinara Sauce- that was especially tasty and I am going to make that dish again in a few weeks for my friends.

by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2023 6:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!