Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Dean grabbed Carroll Baker in the crotch during a scene in Giant

Excerpts from Baby Doll : An Autobiography by Carroll Baker

The most important scene we had together was filmed in Hollywood. It was the one in which the older Jett Rink proposes marriage to the now grown-up Luz Benedict II. We did that one scene, take after take, for three entire days! It was incredible. George Stevens believed in extensive coverage, but no other scene had gone on that long. The repetition wasn't because of mistakes, because as far as I could see, there were none. Jimmy and I had rehearsed and were both word perfect. Because we were competitive, there wasn't one take in which either of us was anything less than concentrated and intense; there were no tech- nical hitches because the camera set-ups were simple (the action of the scene took place in a booth of a deserted restaurant in Jett's about-to-be inaugurated hotel). Later I discovered that George Stevens had deliberately allowed can after can of film to be used to record what he was quoted as having called "a great boxing match between actors." George kept the outtakes and played them at home for his friends.

It went something like this: Jimmy sat back in the booth ... I stretched forward, I sat back . . . Jimmy slumped to one side, I sipped my drink . . . Jimmy rolled his cigarette, Jimmy tossed his head ... I took the rose out of the vase and twirled it . . . and on, and on, and on, take after take, during twenty-one hours of filming!

Jimmy and I didn't break the mood between the rounds. The challenge was far too exhilarating to deaden with small talk. While the camera reloaded, we each retired to our own corners.

We were well into the third day of this acting marathon when Jimmy suddenly made a foul play. He hit me below the belt, so to speak. He slid one of his hands under the table. He clamped that hand right up between my legs and squeezed with all his mighty strength.

He didn't remove his hand or loosen his grip. He also didn't miss a beat of the scene.

And what did I do? I was so shocked and embarrassed, I didn't know what to do. I gasped. I wiped the tears of pain and humilia- tion from my glazed eyes. I looked at George Stevens for his help as referee, and when he made no sign to intercede, I finished the scene.

Previously George had praised both Jimmy and me after each take. This time he ignored Jimmy and praised only me. When I was settled into my chair, a few tense moments passed in silence. Then Jimmy walked from his corner over to mine. He threw his arms around my neck and clung tightly to me in a long, sad embrace. I patted his back. No words were necessary. Be- cause it was Jimmy, I could forgive him anything.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2023 8:54 PM

I’ve read a lot of books about James Dean and there’s a lot of unpleasant stories in them. Still like him tho.

by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2023 9:02 PM

A movie star molested me seventy years ago.

For one whole minute!

I can't tell you any details yet because I'm waiting for a publisher to pay me money.

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2023 9:11 PM

When Trump talked about grabbing women by the pussy I didn’t realize it was actually a thing. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2023 9:14 PM

I was molested!

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2023 9:18 PM

One in the pink, two in the stink.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2023 9:19 PM

Not to excuse it, but I saw an interview with Carroll where she talked about this and she said she thinks James did this to “throw her into the scene.” Method actor shit basically.

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2023 9:19 PM

James Dean finger-banged me too!

He said I had the most amazing bussy ever!

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2023 9:28 PM

Carroll Baker couldn't act. It took three days because she couldn't get it right. So Stevens must have had Jimmy do that to get some real emotion out of her.

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2023 9:34 PM

R I was molested, too.

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2023 9:46 PM

Whats the issue?

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2023 11:30 PM

I agree with R8. This sounds like something JD took no pleasure in and felt sorry for after--as if the director put him up to it. Also, the director was collecting ALL the film, suck fuchk.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2023 6:13 AM

Why was she even an actress? Was she supposed to be The New Kim Novak?

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2023 8:50 AM

James Dean's asshole behavior was explained that he was in his early 20s and desperate for stardom and wanted to stand out and prove himself. He was insecure about being a country boy in Hollywood and having an eccentric personality. The elitists in the industry looked down on him for wanting to do his own thing. People who got to know him personally said he was much more bookish, shy and meek than his public image portrayed.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2023 10:54 AM

R13 I would have saved him had I been around!

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2023 10:56 AM

This site just loves to ignore and excuse sexual assault.

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2023 11:06 AM

R15 It hardly gets ignored

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2023 11:08 AM

James Dean himself was a victim of sexual assault and was said to be haunted by it, so I don’t think he did this to Carroll out of malice. He was an obnoxious method actor tho and occasionally crossed boundaries with his costars and probably felt he was justified in doing this since he was playing the sleazy Jett Rink. It’s obvious still not right tho. If he did this today people would be pissed and demand he be canceled. Carroll doesn’t seem to have hard feelings towards him tho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2023 11:19 AM

In The Mutant King a friend of Dean’s alleged he was abusive towards Pier Angeli when he was drunk. Not sure how true it is.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2023 11:23 AM

Carroll Baker defended Bill Cosby a few years ago so I doubt she still cares about James grabbing her in the crotch.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2023 11:29 AM

More recent interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2023 11:32 AM

R7- It’s Finger FUCK not finger bang.

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2023 12:10 PM

I like James Dean a lot, as an actor, but having read a lot about him, he was obviously a mixed bag, nice to some people, not to others. Elia Kazan, who gave him his big break in East Of Eden, didn't like him. He'd gotten ahead by living with Rogers Brackett, an ad exec who produced TV shows (as ad execs did then, if the shows were sponsored by their clients) 15 years older than Dean, who was 20 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2023 3:04 PM

R20- It's hard to believe how beautiful she once was.

Now she looks like someone who'd appear on an episode of HOARDERS.

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2023 3:33 PM

The more I read about Jimmy. The more you see he was just a very passionate person with strong beliefs that made him unpopular in an industry of sycophants. He was smart and I think he got sick of Hollywood and wanted to move behind the camera. He sabotaged a lot of the PR stunts, the studios and agents wanted him to do. He had a very small group of friends who were like-minded and into art, jazz and philosophy. He was burnout by the time of Rebel and Giant. I think the industry got sick of his antics too and would have blackballed him.

I think his early death cemented his legacy as he was kinda like a modern Adonis or Orpheus, a young hot guy who died young and tragically. Who knows where he would have gone. He seemed like he was just trying to find himself anyway, more than he wanted to be a celebrity. His mother's death, being molested, moving around a lot and his distant father created insecure attachment and identity issues in him

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2023 7:59 PM

This half-minute rape from 60 years ago doesn't concern me as these rapes happening now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2023 8:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!