Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is there any remedy for under eye bags?

This has probably been discussed on DL before but I did a search and nothing came up.

I've had some perfectly normal wrinkles under my eyes since I hit my 60s but suddenly now, as I'm turning 70 (please be kind!), my wrinkles have morphed into what look like puffy bags, as if they've been injected with serum. Frankly, I'd prefer the usual wrinkling.

Has anyone else suffered with this? Short of plastic surgery, is there any remedy of reducing the puffiness, even for just a few hours? TIA!

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2023 2:31 AM

"Short of plastic surgery"

Nope

by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2023 2:38 PM

Preparation H

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2023 2:39 PM

Old wives' tale, R2

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2023 2:41 PM

I had blepharoplasty a few years ago. I went to a plastic surgeon who is also an ophthalmologist specializing in the eye area. I had both lower and upper areas addressed, but went conservative on the upper. I’m very happy with the results. It’s not obvious and I look rested without the baggage. Products are a waste of money as they don’t work in this area and I had concerns about fillers. I wish I would have done this earlier.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2023 2:55 PM

r4 how much did it cost?

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2023 3:35 PM

What R1 and R4 said. Anything topical does not work.

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2023 3:37 PM

Research vit k2

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2023 3:39 PM

R5, I don't exactly remember, but I think around $4K.

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2023 4:07 PM

Duct tape

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2023 4:25 PM

The bags are fat deposits. Unfortunately, losing weight won't reduce them.

The only real cure would be surgery.

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2023 4:29 PM

Take Vitamin K supplement and soak undereye area gently with bags of black tea..

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2023 4:50 PM

One more vote for R1, R4, and R6… oculoplasty is the only remedy. Go conservative and select a talented ophthalmologist. Also, set expectations appropriately. Aging alone doesn’t cause the problem. You may be very pleased with the result ~2 weeks following surgery, but lifestyle can’t be ignored in causing poor aging, especially insufficient liver and kidney function which are the leading cause of excessive fluid around the ocular cavity. The visible effects will return.

Sun damage, chronic dehydration and alcohol and drug use, current or past, cause metabolic and physiological alterations from organ damage which can’t be corrected. Poor sleep habits as a result of lifestyle, stress, drugs/alcohol, psychological/emotional perturbation, have a cumulative effect.

Following surgery, drink lots of water, moisturize with eye cream, and try to examine/re-examine any of the other causalities, should you have any. You’ll be happier from the lifestyle changes irrespective of the surgery.

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2023 4:55 PM

Cosmetics companies will constantly lie to you about some miracle serum or other but nothing works except surgery (injections with medical gel can kind of work but they are temporary)

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2023 4:56 PM

[Quote] Take Vitamin K supplement and soak undereye area gently with bags of black tea..

And then watch while nothing changes

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2023 4:57 PM

Be careful with heavy eye cream because it can give you milium - which are also gross.

To be fair OP - you are likely 100 times more aware of the eye bags than anyone else who sees you.

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2023 5:00 PM

OP, you are getting accurate info here. I’m 50, and while I can go a little longer without surgery, I am Polish and have my grandmother’s peasant stock with lovely fat deposits under my eyes that continue to sag. I just use regular moisturizer (and hyaluronic acid) around my eyes which helps with fine lines, but don’t bother with pricey eye creams. Sometimes an aging face has only droopy skin without the fat. My husband has that, and he has slightly dark circles that are under those bags. He could benefit from a filler to smooth that indent out and then it wouldn’t look like dark circles. But at your age, I feel confident only surgery would help you. Look around, be conservative. Best of luck, tell us what you learn here!

by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2023 5:03 PM

I use simple caffeine serum for puffiness when I don't get enough sleep, and it works well for me. But I dont have bags otherwise, yet.

IMO women get way better results from eye surgery then men do. I think most surgeons proceed with a man's face the same way they do for a woman, which is not good. If you have a very masculine face you need to go really conservative or you'll end up looking like Wayne Newton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2023 5:11 PM

Does caffeine even penetrate the skin? None of the creases actually do.

If I drop coffee on my neck, will the wrinkles go away?

by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2023 5:17 PM

^creases = creams

by Anonymousreply 19January 22, 2023 5:18 PM

r18 that product does, you feel it working. My eyelids and undereyes are less sore a few minutes after applying. I dont think it will help reduce appearance of fat deposits, but if you have additional puffiness due to lack of sleep or fluid retention it helps. I dont think it will help reduce appearance of wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid is better for that.

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2023 5:27 PM

[quote]Following surgery, drink lots of water, moisturize with eye cream, and try to examine/re-examine any of the other causalities, should you have any.

Also cut the salt in your diet to virtually nothing.

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2023 5:29 PM

For under eye surgery does one see an ophthalmologist or a plastic surgeon? Or is the former a plastic surgeon for the eyes? Does one begin the process by getting a referral from their regular optician?

OP, here. Thanks for all the advice.

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2023 5:31 PM

Taking a minute to slather your face with leftover coffee a couple times a week will not hurt you but may help you.

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2023 5:31 PM

There are ophthalmologists who specialize in eyelid plastic surgery

by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2023 5:32 PM

^ they’re called oculoplastic surgeons

by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2023 5:33 PM

R24 Finally, you’ve arrived.

by Anonymousreply 26January 22, 2023 5:34 PM

For a couple hours, to bring down puffiness: place two metal spoons in the freezer for at least 20/30 minutes then apply the curved OUT sides under your eyes to the eye bags.

I used to use this after a heavy night of drinking to bring down the eye bags. I don't drink anymore.

Prep H is also supposedly used by makeup artists to temporarily reduce eye bags. Think about it: Prep H reduces swelling.

by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2023 5:35 PM

You have to get Prep H that is Canadian, the US version is different.

by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2023 6:40 PM

Not surprising r28; apparently Canadian Tiger Balm is different as well.

But then again, the wheat/flour we get in this country is sub-par and wouldn't be sold in other countries either, so...

by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2023 6:41 PM

I had lower eye surgery and was concerned about visible scarring. My work was done by a facial and cosmetic surgeon and cost about 3K. He was careful to explain how the healing process would work, and what I should do to reduce any visible scarring. Bottom line: the surgery worked, and even now, it's almost impossible to see where the suture lines were. I wish I had done it 10 years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2023 8:03 PM

my sis got insurance to pay for upper eyelids by saying it obstructed her vision. it didn't.

by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2023 9:00 PM

I had the upper eyelid surgery and also submitted it for insurance with the same reasoning but never got repaid, r31. But I'm so happy with the results I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 32January 22, 2023 9:03 PM

Surgery is the only way

And R32 is a nice reminder to always make sure your approval for a procedure went through before having it. Or you can be on the line for the bill. Glad R32 could afford it and is happy with results

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2023 2:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!