Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Foods you hated as a kid but love as an adult

For me, it is pickles. I didn't like sweet, sour, dill or relish as a kid. But now, I love them. Especially, pickled onions and pickled eggs. I now make my own with cider vinegar and maple syrup. Yum! Perhaps, it is because I lived for ten years in England, but I eat them everyday and right out of the jar.

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2023 11:48 PM

Asparagus and Brussels sprouts - hated them both as a kid, now love them! (except for the smelly urine afterward)

by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2023 1:33 PM

For some reason as a child I was also grossed out by mashed potatoes - maybe the consistency. I enjoy them now.

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2023 1:33 PM

Avocado. Not until my 30's did I begin to enjoy the creamy subtle nutty flavor. Simple avocado toast and roasted tomatoes: heaven.

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2023 1:37 PM

Fish. Couldn’t even stand the smell as a kid, love it now.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2023 1:38 PM

Prunes. Didn't even know what they were and certainly would never eat one. However, as an Eldergay, I have grown accustomed to their taste and love how they make me regular.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2023 1:43 PM

Okra.

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2023 1:44 PM

Fascinating, OP.

Just imagine.

Your tastes changed when you aged.

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2023 1:49 PM

Avocado and lobster. I think it was a texture thing.

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2023 1:54 PM

Well, ElderLez. you palate has certain come to the gourmet taste. Well done!

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2023 2:02 PM

Seafood. My parents both came from a low income background and because we don't live beside the ocean seafood is expensive here. They never ate it or knew how to prepare it.

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2023 2:03 PM

Mayonnaise. I didn’t want it on anything and now I want it on everything.

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2023 2:04 PM

Cum.

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2023 2:07 PM

^ Well, it is a protein!

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2023 2:12 PM

Pickled beets, pickled eggs, pickled pigs feet.

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2023 3:46 PM

Beets that came out of a can and Brussels sprouts which were boiled to death and made the whole house smell like farts.

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2023 4:15 PM

Collard greens or really greens of any sort. Like 'em now.

by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2023 4:22 PM

Brussels sprouts. My mother, who is an excellent cook, never prepared this vegetable well and I grew up avoiding the vegetable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2023 4:26 PM

Egg salad

Fish

Cottage cheese

Sauerkraut

Sweet pickles, butter pickles and gherkins

Cooked carrots

Rare or medium beef

by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2023 4:29 PM

Broccoli.

by Anonymousreply 19January 22, 2023 4:43 PM

Tuna fish salad (made with mayonnaise. Cream cheese. Tomatoes.

Love them all now.

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2023 4:57 PM

Feta.

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2023 5:07 PM

Hmm. I was a good eater, as a kid. Only thing that I gagged on was escargots, which was more of a mental thing. I can eat escargots now, but don't get the opportunity.

Dill / sour pickles (Klausen), I loved as a kid. Now, I don't buy them or eat them.

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2023 5:16 PM

Beer, wine and hard liquor I couldn't stand as a child. Then I learned to love it too much and ended up in AA.

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2023 5:44 PM

I never liked the taste of beer that much. Good for you, R23, that you managed to quit.

by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2023 5:46 PM

Raw onions. But I think when you're a kid, your taste buds are probably the sharpest they're going to be and for me, onions stung my tongue. I could eat other spicy things as we ate Mexican food (with jalapenos) once a week, but onions were a bridge too far.

Of course, now I put them in most things. As an adult, I notice that kids tend to not like onions either. So I do believe it's a taste bud thing.

by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2023 5:49 PM

Chili / chile peppers. I wasn't interested in hot sauces and pickled peppers at all. Now, almost everything I eat needs hot sauce and/or crushed red pepper flakes.

by Anonymousreply 26January 22, 2023 5:54 PM

^^^ Sweetie, try pickled onions. Nary an onion enters my home that I don't pickle in something. They are great to eat raw, fried or condiments.

by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2023 5:55 PM

l love picked onions, OP. Especially with Mediterranean food. But I love raw onions (now) as well, and have all different varieties depending on what dish I'm making.

by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2023 5:57 PM

R11 you can also use mayonnaise instead of butter to grill the bread for a grilled cheese sandwich. It’s delicious!

by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2023 5:59 PM

Beets.

by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2023 6:00 PM

I hate beets.

by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2023 6:03 PM

Tomatoes. I didn’t hate the taste, exactly, but I could not eat a sliced tomato — which looked like some animal innards. I remember when I first experienced a cherry tomato, it was so revelatory, because you didn’t have to look at it (the innards).

Now, I can’t imagine it. Have tomatoes nearly every day.

by Anonymousreply 32January 22, 2023 6:13 PM

R22 I LOVED escargot as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 33January 22, 2023 8:22 PM

[quote] Egg salad Fish Cottage cheese Sauerkraut Sweet pickles, butter pickles and gherkins Cooked carrots

Rare or medium beef

R18 So what did you eat? Spaghetti and hotdogs?

by Anonymousreply 34January 22, 2023 8:44 PM

We had a lot of casseroles when I was a kid. Pork chops, swiss steak (ugh), chop suey, yes spaghetti and hot dogs, baked chicken, hard shell taco night. Hamburger helper or burgers. Peanut butter and jelly. Cereal.

by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2023 4:42 PM

Yogurt. I was horrified as a child that blueberry yogurt didn’t really taste like blueberries (too sour!) but now I love most kinds.

Greek honey from Trader Joe’s is the best.

by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2023 4:58 PM

Peanut butter and pasta.

I also hated nuts and raisins in baked good even though I would eat them separately. Now I prefer baked goods with nuts and raisins in them.

by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2023 5:18 PM

Cauliflower. Tasteless boiled mush back then, delicious roasted now.

by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2023 5:23 PM

I am more of a 'things from your childhood that you will never eat again (whether you liked them as a child or not)' but the one thing is olives. Hated them- green olives I mean. I didn't hear about black olives until I was an adult and ate them in something. When I asked what they were because I loved them I gave green olives another chance and loved them too.

by Anonymousreply 39January 23, 2023 6:15 PM

Olives. My sister used to alternate black and green ones on her finger tips and gobbled them down. I would gag violently. I now love olives of all varieties. I also hated brussels sprouts too, mainly because my parents would simply boil them vs. roast them in the oven. I like them now but NOT reheated in the microwave. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2023 6:47 PM

Pizza. I was born with a bland Midwestern palate and couldn’t tolerate anything even remotely “spicy” which apparently included pizza sauce. Thank god I overcame that and now, like r26, I love spice in everything

by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2023 7:11 PM

Meatloaf. I'd hide in the garage when my mom made that shit. I called it muttloaf.

by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2023 7:23 PM

horseradish sauce

by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2023 7:41 PM

Uni (sea urchin) was something I didn't like, but now I do like it. It's highly perishable, so I think people have often eaten uni that's "turned." (Including me.) If it's fresh, though, it's delicious, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2023 9:01 PM

Where's "Darfur Orphanage" on this one???

by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2023 9:05 PM

Dirt

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2023 11:11 PM

I loved eating liver with onions as a kid but I can't eat that mess now. I do have cravings for this dish served with mashed potatoes and real brown gravy.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2023 11:15 PM

I was a picky eater as a kid, and I like the same foods as an adult.

Nothing much has changed.

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2023 11:19 PM

Cottage cheese. Now I'll eat it with black pepper and salt.

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2023 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!