Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Intentionally Bad Art

Jean Luc Godard made the film “Contempt” purposefully bad to fuck over the studio funding it

Cole Porter wrote the notoriously awful “Bianca” in “Kiss Me Kate” because he was pissed that the actor who had to sing the song had fucked him to get the part, then dumped him.

Then, of course, there were the Dadaists of the 1910s, openly mocking art by displaying a urinal and calling it “Fountain”

Any other examples when an artist intentionally made crappy art to screw someone over or insult someone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2023 4:41 PM

Madonna released an album called "American Life" just to punish everyone for the disappointments in her life.

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2023 11:11 PM

The movie Glitter

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2023 11:16 PM

Was Glitter intentionally bad?

This thread is just going to become people listing movies they hate, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2023 11:21 PM

[quote] when an artist intentionally made crappy art to screw someone over or insult someone?

That describes most art since Picasso started making money by putting three eyes on the side of a face. His sneering joke on the world of highbrow art.

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2023 11:25 PM

I blame Warhol, not Picasso

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2023 11:26 PM

Phil Spector was mad at a business partner whom he owed one more song. He wrote a purposely bad gimmick dance song called "Dance the Screw" knowing it could never get played on the radio. He even "sang" on the record. The original is worth a lot of money now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2023 11:29 PM

Not bad as such but Rossini wrote an Ave Maria On Two Notes. There is whole lot going on harmonically to distract from the fact that it's only.... Two notes. To my knowledge, he didn't wrote it as a jab at singers with a very limited range. It pokes fun though at compository staples to elcit emotion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2023 11:32 PM

It’s not intentionally bad, in fact it’s damn good, but Pink Floyd wrote Wish You Were Here as a direct insult to their record company

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2023 11:39 PM

Cole Porter's song "I Love You" - intentional parody of generic love song lyrics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2023 12:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2023 12:26 AM

No serious artist flippantly makes bad art. Where are you coming from with this? Sure, an artist may go do far as to hold a turd up in front of your face, but only to make a larger point about society or for some kind of change for the better. Most artists are beautiful souls.

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2023 12:33 AM

[quote]Most artists are beautiful souls.

MARY!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2023 12:47 AM

I will further add, R12, they are often physically beautiful. Visit openings of young artists and see if I'm lying ;)

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2023 12:50 AM

"Young" is probably the operative word.

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2023 12:55 AM

Not always!

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2023 12:56 AM

Marvin Gay owed his ex wife the proceeds from his next album, and made “Here, My Dear,” an intended failure that tanked.

by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2023 1:23 AM

Jonathan and Darlene Edwards (a.k.a. Paul Weston and Jo Stafford)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2023 1:29 AM

[quote] No serious artist flippantly makes bad art.

Godard was not a serious artist? Or Marvin Gaye? Or Phil Spector? Or Cole Porter?

by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2023 1:50 AM

Jo Stafford again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 22, 2023 1:58 AM

Cocktails for Two was NOT a bad piece of music. Originally it was an ode to the repeal of Prohibition.

Stafford then was doing a series of comedy numbers but several years earlier Spike Jones already had permanently changed the tune into a parody

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2023 2:13 AM

Harold Lang sang the song Bianca in Kiss Me, Kate (originally). Is that story really true? It seems weird that a major composer would deliberately put a "bad" song in his musical masterpiece. I mean if it was so bad, wouldn't it have been cut as soon as someone other than Harold Lang was performing it?

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2023 2:26 AM

It’s still in the score, and it’s still embarrassingly terrible, r21

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2023 2:28 AM

Howard Hawks bet Hemingway he could make a profitable movie out of his worst story, which was how "To have and Have Not" was made.

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2023 2:30 AM

R23 But he made a great movie out of it, so it wasn't intentionally bad art.

by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2023 2:32 AM

More Jonathan and Darlene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2023 2:47 AM

R17 One reason why the Darlene Edwards recordings were so funny is because Jo Stafford had incredibly good pitch when she sang. Her voice didn't have a lot of coloration, and she used vibrato sparingly, but that made it so clear that Stafford was dead-on in pitch all the time. She claimed she didn't have perfect pitch, but she surely had excellent relative pitch: when she sang with The Pied Pipers earlier in her career, their complex harmonies had to be sung strictly in tune to not sound "sour." When Stafford deliberately sang intentionally out of tune as Darlene Edwards, she sang wrong notes "perfectly" wrong.

by Anonymousreply 26January 22, 2023 5:16 AM

i feel this song shows Darlene Edwards’ finest work:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2023 5:54 AM

[quote]Cole Porter wrote the notoriously awful “Bianca” in “Kiss Me Kate” because he was pissed that the actor who had to sing the song had fucked him to get the part, then dumped him.

Harold Lang was about 28 when the play opened, Cole Porter was 30-ish years older at about 58.

If near 60 year old Coley thought a 28 year old actor/dancer was fucking him for anything BUT career movies, he's a dimwit. Just enjoy that tight body and blowjobs lips that you'd never get otherwise. it's a win-win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2023 6:34 AM

Cole knew why he was getting cock. He just didn’t appreciate it going away as soon as the contract was signed. Very rude.

by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2023 6:37 AM

Modern woke TV and movies.

The creators despise the fan base. Henry Cavil left The Witcher because the producers, writers, and directors opening stated that they despise the original fanbase, had no intention of staying true to the characters, and only made it to impress their SJW friends in LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2023 8:01 AM

My very favorite Darlene Edwards performance. It gets funnier as it goes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2023 4:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!