Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People should drink less coffee to combat climate change, study says

Canadian researchers analyzed coffee’s “contribution to climate change” in a piece published in early January and suggested people moderate their consumption of the popular drink as a part of the solution.

Researchers Luciano Rodrigues Viana, Charles Marty, Jean-François Boucher and Pierre-Luc Dessureault wrote in an analysis published in The Conversation that pollution from preparing coffee was “just the tip of the iceberg.”

“Limiting your contribution to climate change requires an adapted diet, and coffee is no exception. Choosing a mode of coffee preparation that emits less GHGs (greenhouse gases) and moderating your consumption are part of the solution,” the researchers at the University of Quebec at Chicoutimi wrote.

The study also found that using coffee pods to brew coffee contributed less to the carbon footprint than brewing coffee with a traditional filter.

“Our analysis clearly showed that traditional filter coffee has the highest carbon footprint, mainly because a greater quantity of coffee powder is used to produce the amount of coffee. This process also consumes more electricity to heat the water and keep it warm,” the researchers wrote.

The researchers compared brewing with coffee pods, brewing coffee the traditional way in a coffee maker, brewing coffee with a French press and using instant coffee.

“Our analysis clearly showed that traditional filter coffee has the highest carbon footprint, mainly because a greater quantity of coffee powder is used to produce the amount of coffee. This process also consumes more electricity to heat the water and keep it warm,” the researchers wrote.

They found that instant coffee was the most environmentally sound.

Coffee production contributed more to total emissions than coffee preparation, according to the analysis.

“This mechanization, irrigation and use of nitrous oxide-emitting fertilizers — the production of which requires large quantities of natural gas — greatly contribute to coffee’s carbon footprint,” the researchers said.

The researchers also added that the convenience of coffee pods might lead people to double their coffee consumption and in turn make the environmental advantage “redundant.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2023 12:21 PM

Coffee is the only think that keeps me from cutting a bitch in the mornings, for the betterment of society yall better have my coffee

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2023 6:21 PM

Come for my coffee. C’mon, come for it.

See what happens to yo ass!

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2023 6:32 PM

I should think all agriculture contributes to it, so it would be smarter to stick to crops with actual survival value. But that would be shockingly anti-capitalist.

by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2023 6:33 PM

I call BS on filter coffee having a larger footprint than the pods and French press. French press coffee uses up a ton of coffee (low extraction rate). Pods are generally plastic. Filters are usually paper.

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2023 6:38 PM

If people were serious about fighting global warming they would ban beer. The fermentation process released billions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere and murders the poor polar bears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2023 7:20 PM

These study people need to kiss my ass. Turn around, Conchita.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2023 7:29 PM

"People should" "Do better" "Reduce Reuse Recycle"

That's right peons --- dammit you'd better recycle and use cloth bags and paper straws and cut down on coffee and red meat and ... and ... and... and everything else you're doing that triggered the climate!

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2023 7:43 PM

God damn they’re coming after everything.

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2023 7:46 PM

[quote] God damn they’re coming after everything.

Not 𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑡𝑒 everything peasant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2023 7:53 PM

Truth is that there are too many people on the planet now and they don’t know what to do anymore. There are more people than ways to feed them these days. The way the world keeps growing, we won’t have much left for long.

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2023 7:54 PM

It’s not too hard to grow tea under a grow light. Keep it inside in winter and grow it outside in spring and summer. Learn to process black tea .

by Anonymousreply 11January 21, 2023 8:12 PM

Fuck that shit!

I’ll drink as much coffee as I want

by Anonymousreply 12January 21, 2023 8:13 PM

Shave your hairy pussy!

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2023 8:14 PM

[quote]It’s not too hard to grow tea under a grow light.

What am I, a caveman?!

by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2023 8:40 PM

[quote]Truth is that there are too many people on the planet now and they don’t know what to do anymore.

Hey! Don’t blame me, I tried.

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2023 8:40 PM

[quote]Learn to process black tea .

Watching you now, Bub. I’ve got my good eye on you.

by Anonymousreply 16January 21, 2023 8:41 PM

I live in an apartment built 120 years ago and walk to work. I’m drinking as much coffee as I damn well please.

by Anonymousreply 17January 21, 2023 8:52 PM

I hunk studies like op are shit. Butt out of my life!

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2023 9:48 PM

Cows passing wind are causing climate change. Cows should be eliminated from the planet. Along with people who drink coffee.

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2023 11:45 PM

I don't have kids and don't drive. You'll take my Cafe Bustelo out of my cold, dead hands! All these studies reference not doing this or starting to do that to reduce climate change, but the biggest impact is humans, especially Western ones, because we consume, consume, consume. So the honest answer to climate change is fewer people, but that fucks with the money that is the Ponzi scheme way social programs work, so they throw this kind of dumb stuff out there instead to make it look as though they're making an effort to address it.

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2023 12:01 AM

Haha if they saw how much coffee I have in my apartment alone they would hate me 💀

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2023 12:01 AM

Who is the poster on here always mentioning Cafe Bustelo? I bet he’s a blancito too.

Stick to your Folgers buddy lmao

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2023 12:01 AM

Nobody talks about disposable diapers and their contents.

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2023 12:07 AM

I've been hearing doomsday news since the mid-1950s (all my life). Let the shitstorm ensue. We're 30 million years overdue a for a mass extinction event. I am not giving up my fucking coffee.

by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2023 12:24 AM

oh hell no. I'm going to be cradling to the grave with a hearty fair trade brand, freshly ground and brewed, in a raku mug.

by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2023 2:31 AM

A. Not everyone drinks coffee, and most people who do aren’t even drinking coffee these days. It’s mostly sugar and cream. Look at how Starbucks makes their drinks.

All these people claim they love coffee but they drink it like candy.

However, coffee is bad for you. Most Doctors say people should drink tea instead.

by Anonymousreply 26January 22, 2023 2:37 AM

American coffee teeth disgusts us

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2023 2:57 AM

That's going to be a tough sell. You thought gas stoves were getting panties in a twist? You ain't seen nothing of you go for coffee.

by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2023 3:09 AM

I’ve given up my private planes! What more do you want, goddamned climate!

by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2023 3:15 AM

Baileys in your mug. Nuke 30 seconds. ☕️

by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2023 3:20 AM

Or maybe we should focus on global legislation that will actually be enforced on the 100 companies that make 70% of the pollution.

by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2023 3:22 AM

When they come for my weed and cigarettes then I'll really be worried.

by Anonymousreply 32January 22, 2023 3:41 AM

@ R26

Coffee is not bad for you

“The overall evidence has been pretty convincing that coffee has been more healthful than harmful in terms of health outcomes,” said Frank Hu, chair of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, in an April 5, 2021, article in Discover. “For most people, moderate coffee consumption can be incorporated into a healthy diet.”

Hu said that moderate coffee intake—about 2–5 cups a day—is linked to a lower likelihood of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, liver and endometrial cancers, Parkinson’s disease, and depression. It’s even possible that people who drink coffee can reduce their risk of early death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 22, 2023 4:45 AM

R33 that is modern science. Coffee has always been bad for your heart. Always. NOW they claim it’s good. Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 34January 22, 2023 4:56 AM

Drinking 2-5 cups of coffee a day is literally asking for a heart attack at some point.

by Anonymousreply 35January 22, 2023 4:59 AM

Stay home and drink Postum, folks! ☕️

by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2023 5:02 AM

I'm having my second coffee.

by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2023 2:40 PM

Take a step back and think about this article. What is the point of it? Who wrote it and why did the tabloid of poor taste print it? And, of course, the question that usually reveals more about the topic than the article about which it is written: follow the money.

The comments here reveal the rationale behind this article: piss off coffee drinkers. 75% of Americans drink coffee and more than half drink it every day. They want to elicit the exact responses here, summed up by the first thought I had: they'll pry my cup of coffee from my cold, dead hands. The point is to make you feel that they're coming for everything and particularly the little things that make life bearable, so just give up all of your environmental efforts now because there is no point.

Don't fall for this crap. And you know it's crap because it was published by the NY Post and the byline is someone at Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2023 3:01 PM

R38 take a step back and think about what you just wrote… the person who wrote the article has nothing to do with what the researchers and scientists are saying. He didn’t orchestrate the study. He is a journalist writing about what Canadian researchers and scientists are saying. Understand???

by Anonymousreply 39January 22, 2023 3:12 PM

You've never heard of groups like ALEC that coordinate the conduct and publishing of studies for nefarious political purposes, R39?

And you made me laugh when you call anyone with a byline from Fox New a "journalist".

Follow. The. Money.

by Anonymousreply 40January 22, 2023 3:20 PM

[quote] writing about what Canadian researchers and scientists are saying

Typical Canadian nanny-staters. Nobody has to orchestrate them

by Anonymousreply 41January 22, 2023 9:40 PM

Coffee doesnt wake you up. Caffeine does. We should normalize caffeine pills.

by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2023 2:15 AM

r34 is living in the past.

by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2023 12:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!