Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker

Has anyone watched the Netflix documentary?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2023 7:12 AM

Shows how blind / asleep I am - my brain somehow thought Teri Hatcher was involved.

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2023 2:55 PM

He's staying in my basement.

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2023 2:56 PM

I did. Obviously he is severely mentally ill however, there was some serious fuckery with the prosecution of him. I was disappointed that I had to go to the internet to get more information about the murder and prosecution. They spent very little time on it in the documentary. maybe it would have been better served to spend less time with the tv personalities and more time with the murder.

by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2023 3:32 PM

I tried to watch it but the personalities involved were very grating.

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2023 3:39 PM

I thought it was incredibly interesting. But I agree, it also didn’t finish strong. I also felt like there was not a real ending…..or a message. Is the message that he’s a fucked up crazy person? Yes. But I might have enjoyed a more high level view, like talking more about how mentally ill live, our broken incarceration system, stuff like that. They missed a real opportunity to comment on the state of affairs in this country.

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2023 3:48 PM

r5 and gloss over how he was tweaker no doubt...

and how this incident led to another wave of predatory gay stories involving rough trade as his age got reported younger and younger.... gay panic defenses were in vogue once again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2023 3:59 PM

He was about 25 when this all happened, right?

The documentary didn't do a great job helping us know anyone including Kai.

Was he hustling gays for years? Was he gay for pay, or gay gay? Besides a drinker was he an addict? Besides being nuts as well. He was cute but the kind of guy you know to keep far away.

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2023 7:49 PM

My mom was just telling me about the documentary. I haven't watched yet, but I did look up articles about it because I remember hearing he ended up killing someone, but never knew what the circumstances were. He looks less nuts without the crazy hair, but then again, face tattoo, so yikes.

I don't know a lot about it to give a good opinion about his incarceration, but I did get the feeling they threw the book at him from what I read. I think I saw 57 years and when they looked at his case in 2021, they didn't budge. Send like he had rough life. I'm curious to see what other people think about his story and that harsh sentence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2023 12:38 AM

Need the chop-chop 'fore the yum-yum eatum up.

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2023 12:44 AM

My interpretation of his story was that he was definitely selling his ass to older men. Whether he was gay or not is unknown. He was probably molested when he was very young. The documentary talks about how crazy he was at a young age, which many times stems from a traumatic event such as molestation.

He became a prostitute out of necessity and had a deep hatred for the johns. As with the murder, he would always claim that he was raped, either because he was ashamed of being a prostitute or because he was clever enough to know claiming to be a victim was his only defense.

Anybody with a brain, even a horny 74 year old, should have known to stay the fuck away from that guy.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2023 6:07 PM

I just watched it. My first takeaway is that stoner/surfer Kai looked completely different than haircut/face tattoo Kai. Same for Jessob the reporter, who was a tubby young Home Depot dad ten years ago and is much hotter today.

The documentary didn't so much end as just stop. At the beginning, Jessob got a call from Kai while he was being interviewed, ten years after the conviction. And they never followed up on that?

It was hilarious that the Kardashians producer or whoever she was saw him as a personality to be packaged.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2023 7:53 PM

At certain angles, his face reminded me of Napolean Dynamite.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2023 7:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!