Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever worked with or under an opioid abuser/addict?

It’s fucked up, right?

The mood swings. The long monologues when they’re high. Watching them literally nod out in front of you while they’re discussing department objectives & goals. The horrible halitosis from them having an unhealthy gut.

Ugh!

I suspect my boss had a real physical injury at one point, that they still struggle with. I see this person in actual, physical pain, when they think I’m not looking. I see the pain. I catch glimpses of it.

But I also see the hardcore addiction.

The jones.

The joy when they copped their shit during lunch.

The tiny pupils once they down their pills with a cup of coffee.

The heavy, almost red and inflamed eyelids, that start draping over two thirds of the eyes.

This person is so awesome in so many ways, but the pills have completely changed this person.

This person is turning into a little monster, and it’s none of my fucking business.

I’ve seen it all before.

Oh well. 😌

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 1:38 PM

Sorry to hear that OP. The Sackler family have a lot to answer for.

I'm surprised anyone can get addictive painkillers any more actually.

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2023 4:21 AM

They can and they do, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2023 4:22 AM

I know they do R2.

According to the CDC, "From 1999–2020, more than 564,000 people died from opioid overdose" and "The drug overdose epidemic continues to worsen in the United States".

That's from the CDC. Very bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2023 4:25 AM

It’s depressing to be around.

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2023 4:33 AM

They will go to outrageous lengths for a hit. One guy I had just met lived in another state and when I told him I had left over percodon from a recent dental surgery he immediately booked a flight for the coming weekend. Once he got to my place he went straight to my medicine cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2023 5:10 AM

R4, yes, it is. And it’s also a career ender for the underlings, if it’s a part of the corporate culture, within any company one ends up working for.

That’s OK by me.

I was never planning on staying much too long, anyhow.

This situation just reinforces within me, what needs to be done to become even more self reliant, while underscoring what I need to do for myself, to become financially secure, in a reasonable and realistic way, where I am not subjected to people who cannot hold their mud under pressure.

I’ve done so much & I’ve seen so much. And that’s a good thing.

I’ve managed to retain my empathy for others, while FINALLY understanding that I ALSO need to have empathy for myself & also protect myself.

Sometimes we get a 2nd wind, and in some cases? Even a 3rd wind.

The 3rd wind is where I believe I’m at.

Farts aside, I’m not necessarily willing to live the last 20-40 years of my life, (the women in my family tend to live very long), in the hands of some kid, who nods put HARD every few days.

The game ain’t over until it’s over.

I’m still here, and I’m gonna play!

by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Yes, I have. She was an attractive woman in her mid-20s. When I knew her, she got pregnant and gave birth twice. She had 3 kids, total. The 1st one, she lost custody of. The 2nd one went into foster custody and she was trying to get custody back. The 3rd one, I'm guessing, went into foster custody, as well. I blame the men (who impregnated her) as well. She's obviously fucked up, nodding off, hugely pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2023 5:14 AM

Oops!

“nods out hard” ^

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2023 5:15 AM

I work with a guy who behaves like an addict but in a different way. He’s competent sometimes for weeks at a time but then it always happens. Hell walk in looking like death and randomly miss days and have to leave early suddenly. He acts like he’s in a mental fig. He won’t understand anything. He also gets super irritable and behaves like an asshole. Also they sometimes run to the washroom and puke.

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2023 5:36 AM

Are you in Ohio or West Virginia, OP?

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2023 5:38 AM

[quote]He acts like he’s in a mental fig.

fugue?

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 7:22 AM

fog …?

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 8:32 AM

There was a lady I know of at a doctor friend’s office. She stole his script pad and went to the pharmacy. What an idiot, she didn’t think that he would notice somehow. She was stopped in the parking lot by the police, and then she was called back into work, confronted and fired..

There’s a guy in a university where I worked that would go into the controlled substance logged drugs, and steal them, and we finally found them doing it one day. It was scary because we thought he was going to be violent, but he wasn’t..he got fired

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 8:33 AM

It's more likely to be fog - the letter i is right next to the letter o on QWERTY keyboards.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 8:48 AM

fug …?

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 8:54 AM

Fag?

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2023 9:02 AM

He acts like he’s in a mental fug.

He acts like he’s in a mental fag.

Nah, they don't make sense guys! ;)

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2023 9:10 AM

R9, yeah. Interestingly enough, there are others in the company that come in high AF on the opiates, as well.

It’s a little group of them, & they all hang out together or are “friends”.

I believe there’s one particular person in the group who is very well connected, & this person supplies the others with their dope.

I’ve walked in at 7:30 or 8:00 am, and they’re all sitting at their desks, nodding out HARD. I’m talking the full on nod. Right there, in the office.

It concerns me, because obviously, there’s a huge possibility that one of them could OD.

There’s one in the group, who is just such a decent, compassionate and a very, very smart person. I genuinely like this person. I have not one bad thing to say about them, and sadly, they appear to be the one most affected by the addiction.

I’d love to see this person get well, as I believe this person is pretty special.

What I see and think matters not.

It’s none of my business, so I just take a step back & keep my distance.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2023 12:10 PM

Wish I had a plug at work.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 1:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!