Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tarzan’s Johnny Weissmuller

Hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2023 9:55 AM

Uncut?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2023 1:16 AM

Yum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2023 1:16 AM

Drool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2023 1:17 AM

Older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2023 1:17 AM

During Lupe Velez' marriage to actor Johnny Weissmuller, stories of their frequent physical fights were regularly reported in the press. As with Gary Cooper, Vélez reportedly inflicted scratches, bruises and hickeys on Weissmuller during their fights and "passionate lovemaking".

He also had affairs with Garbo, Tallulah Bankhead, and Jean Harlow. But then who didn't.

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2023 2:07 AM

According to the Esther Williams autobiography, he was a total pussyhound and H-U-G-E.

by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2023 2:10 AM

Pretty.

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2023 2:35 AM

That’s a pretty risqué costume for the time.

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2023 3:00 AM

I always watched the movies on Saturday afternoon hoping to see his butt - there were some nice shots....

Although usually I had to settle for Johnny Sheffield.

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2023 3:04 AM

I can't think of him without thinking of the way Maureen Sullivan pronounces his character's name: "TAR-zan," with the stress on the first syllable. It always annoyed me.

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2023 3:38 AM

Before the Hayes Code Jane's costume was skimpier and they even had some nude shots.

by Anonymousreply 11January 21, 2023 2:08 PM

In all those years Johnny was contracted to MGM, did he ever make any non-Tarzan films? Or any films for any other studios? I seem to remember him as the lead in a TV series called....maybe....Jungle Jim....when I was a child, that would be on Saturday mornings.

by Anonymousreply 12January 21, 2023 2:23 PM

[quote]Although usually I had to settle for Johnny Sheffield.

Are you Brian Singer?

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2023 2:26 PM

[quote] I can't think of him without thinking of the way Maureen Sullivan pronounces his character's name: "TAR-zan," with the stress on the first syllable. It always annoyed me.

Maureen as Jane. You sound like Dan Aykroyd, ready to scream “Jane, you ignorant slut!”

by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2023 2:40 PM

I used to watch the Johnny Weissmuller movies on Saturday afternoons. They’d be paired with other series like Ma and Pa Kettle, which I enjoyed a bit more.

Mainly because I was saving all my Tarzan enthusiasm for Sunday morning when the Ron Ely series ran. Thank you, KPLR-TV St. Louis, from the 1970s gayling enthralled by that lanky, handsome, barely clothed beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2023 2:46 PM

[quote] I can't think of him without thinking of the way Maureen Sullivan pronounces his character's name: "TAR-zan," with the stress on the first syllable. It always annoyed me.

Were you expecting “tar-ZAN”? The first syllable is supposed to be stressed.

by Anonymousreply 16January 21, 2023 2:48 PM

[quote] I can't think of him without thinking of the way Maureen Sullivan pronounces his character's name: "TAR-zan," with the stress on the first syllable.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 17January 21, 2023 3:56 PM

I think what R10 means is how Maureen's mid-Atlantic accent not so much emphasized the first syllable, but sort of swallowed the second: "TAAAH-zhn." In the South, we said, "TAUR-zay-un."

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2023 4:41 PM

I thought Maureen was English?

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2023 4:48 PM

I'm with you, R15.

Then...Mike Henry came along!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2023 4:50 PM

She's Irish, R19, but you're closer to correct than I. I always confuse her and Maureen O'Hara, and even though they were both Irish I always think one of them was raised in America, when actually neither of them were. Thanks for correcting my error.

by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2023 4:57 PM

Hurrell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2023 5:00 PM

[quote]In the South, we said, "TAUR-zay-un."

Speak for yourself, Chee-TUH.

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2023 5:03 PM

Supposedly, Lupe would leave scratches on his back that they'd have to cover with make-up. She was such a spitfire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2023 5:04 PM

Johnny and the Tarzan franchise moved to RKO in the late 1940's and we got a series of different Janes.

Jungle Jim was filmed in the 1950's when Johnny's physique made covering him up the only decent thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2023 5:07 PM

I wonder if Johnny had already left MGM by 1946 as he's not in that famous anniversary celebration photo of all of their contract stars.

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2023 5:12 PM

Preferred Buster Crabbe to Johnny Weissmuller:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2023 5:13 PM

Lupe sounded like an unstable bipolar hot mess. A gf once told me that scratching a guy's back is great for faking orgasms along with screaming.

by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2023 5:14 PM

[quote] Were you expecting “tar-ZAN”? The first syllable is supposed to be stressed.

Most people (including Weissmuller himself) put more or less equal stress on both syllables: "TAR-ZAN."

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2023 5:21 PM

[quote] Maureen Sullivan

'O' dear.

by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2023 5:21 PM

He could bust ta this crab anyday of the week. Youuushar

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2023 5:39 PM

Johnny & George

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2023 5:43 PM

r1...looks uncut to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2023 5:46 PM

Johnny W. used to train in the pool at the Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2023 5:58 PM

Pic with Duke Kamehameha. Nice outline (have to click on it)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2023 9:49 PM

[quote]According to the Esther Williams autobiography, he was a total pussyhound and H-U-G-E.

It's a shame that Johnny didn't pose for naked cock photos like Yul Brynner & Burt Lancaster did.

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2023 8:23 AM

R29, that's the pronunciation I've always heard, but there's still a slightly greater stress on the first syllable. The second syllable is usually given a full "a" rather the schwa sound - "TAR-zan", not "TARZ-'n" - which makes the stress sound more equal, but the first syllable is still primary.

Dictionary.com agrees but, strangely, thinks the schwa pronunciation is more common.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2023 9:51 AM

R8: A little risqué, but it’s surprising how much bulge can be seen in pictures of men in old-fashioned bathing suits if they were one-piece suits. The top half would pull up the bottom half, like a wrestling singlet. There was no Spandex or any other support, just woven wool or cotton, so whatever he had, he showed. Once men started wearing topless trunks cinched at the waist, the suits could sag down a little and were cut in a baggier way, so there were fewer revealing bulges.

by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2023 9:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!