Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FINAL RULING: Televisions mounted over the fireplace:

I hate it, but I realize in some floor plans (especially new, “open concept”) it is the only option if you must have a tv in your public areas.

by Anonymousreply 51January 22, 2023 9:22 PM

I am afraid I am not very interested.

by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2023 8:38 PM

Mounting your tv above your fireplace positiions it at a much too high viewing angle.

Just say "no" to the whole proposition.

by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2023 8:43 PM

No. The look screams FIRE HAZARD.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2023 8:44 PM

I don’t approve of a television in the living room.

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2023 9:05 PM

R4 watches tv in the yard.

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2023 9:07 PM

I can't imagine caring where someone hangs their TV (and I don't even have a fireplace!)

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2023 9:10 PM

You have to look so H I G H. I like the screen more on my own site level when I am sitting on my couch.

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2023 9:12 PM

It seems very "1984" - Big Brother to me, having a massive screen in a dominant place in the room.

by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2023 9:14 PM

R5 So facetious!

You probably have your TV hogging up a whole wall in your tiny overpriced studio apartment. Tacky!

by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2023 9:26 PM

My TV is 32 inches and IT IS NOT LARGE ENOUGH FOR MY VIEWING PLEASURES.

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2023 9:34 PM

Pure trash. Televisions don’t even belong in the living room, you tacky fuks.

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2023 9:36 PM

Agree that it's too high. I'd rather put a couple / few beautiful tchotchkes (not an overwhelming amount) on the mantelpiece.

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2023 9:41 PM

It is never the only option and it is ALWAYS too high.

by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2023 9:43 PM

My TV is in my home theater which is part of my basement.

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2023 9:45 PM

Buck would never mount a television over his fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2023 10:17 PM

Buck mounted me. I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2023 10:19 PM

A neighbor has his inside a fireplace that was sealed when didn't buy the co-op.

by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2023 10:30 PM

A TV set is not a picture or a mirror. It does not belong over a mantelpiece.

However I'm not against a TV in the living room if you have an apartment or small house, because...that's where you relax and spend your time. I remember back in the day, it was fine to have a TV in your living room, but not in the bedroom, that was "too much TV watching" and sort of desperate. And the kitchen, even more excessive.

by Anonymousreply 18January 20, 2023 10:31 PM

TV in the kitchen is the best. Its one of life's pleasures to putz around the kitchen half watching good trash, and comfort content.

by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2023 10:37 PM

The sight lines are always horrible. Plus it’s a lazy cliche.

by Anonymousreply 20January 20, 2023 10:39 PM

I never had a TV since I moved out, many moons ago; but I am now considering getting one for in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2023 10:42 PM

I never thought I’d see a group of people get so upset by the idea of multipurpose rooms in other peoples houses lol. But here we are. Thread after thread of the same “the dreaded open concept bla bla bla” comment terminally repeated, it’s wild!

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2023 10:42 PM

Stick it in your rumpus room.

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2023 10:55 PM

Have your fireplace room be a spot if gathering, conversing, reading. Put the tv in the family room,

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2023 11:02 PM

The issue is some people think it's low-class to even have a TV in your living room, not taking into account that some people live in small apartments and don't have an extra room to turn into a sitting parlor with no TV. This is also not a discussion about open-concept kitchen/dining/living rooms.

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2023 11:03 PM

R12 has lots of Hummel figurines.

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2023 11:04 PM

Or maybe a precious dildo or two from the Reagan era. Fond memories!

by Anonymousreply 27January 20, 2023 11:07 PM

I’d rather have it over the living room fireplace than in my bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2023 11:23 PM

[quote] one of life's pleasures to putz around the kitchen half watching

That's why so much TV is so much trash nowdays as it's meant to appeal to those using half their brain.

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2023 11:36 PM

It's tacky.

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2023 11:59 PM

R29 your theory is optimistic and generous. In fact, much worthless trash TV appeals to dump people who use ALL their brain to consume it.

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2023 12:09 AM

Advertising wants the alter spot in your home.

by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2023 12:15 AM

Altar spot.

But, yes, I occasionally think that some programs are assembled to merely keep us interested until the next ad break— which invariably seems to last 3 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2023 12:26 AM

[quote] In fact, much worthless trash TV appeals to dump people who use ALL their brain to consume it.

Maybe that be cause you ain’t got no one to conversate with in the day. I’ll borrow you my TV so you can watch.

by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2023 12:44 AM

[quote]I like the screen more on my own site level

R7? While you're browsing the websights?

by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2023 12:57 AM

LOL.....my first Oh Dear of the New Year. Thank you R35. Well phrased!

by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2023 2:54 AM

I had a 55” tv installed in my TV room, which has 10’ ceilings. The bottom of the tv is 32” off the floor. I thought it looked too low but it’s actually the perfect height. I wouldn’t want to have to look up to watch.

I have a 32” tv in the living room in a cabinet with doors that close. I tend to watch that one more if I am doing other things while watching tv and/or want to have a fire going. If I lived in a space where I could only have a tv in the living room I wouldn’t have a 55” screen.

by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2023 3:55 AM

In the early 00s - when flat screen tvs were still expensive and a bit of a novelty there were credenza like pieces of furniture sold that had a top that opened and lift inside to raise the tv up for viewing. I still think it’s a great solution because I don’t run the tv constantly as background filler - that’s what news radio is for. When I want to watch something there’s a tv in the room - otherwise there isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2023 4:09 AM

Above a mantel is really not good for the neck.

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2023 4:17 AM

The last movie I saw in a theater pre-COVID I had to sit in the front row and it fucked my neck up for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2023 4:23 AM

Thank you r39! That’s the real issue here, in fact there’s an entire subreddit devoted specifically to the subject.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2023 4:41 AM

Over the past year, when I’ve been doing leisurely weekend cooking in the kitchen I’ve been slowly working my way through every series of The Golden Girls, using an iPad to stream the show and also display the recipe.

As R19 noted, it’s one of life’s pleasures. My Golden Girls cooking has brought me more constant and easy comforting joy over the past twelve months than almost anything else.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2023 4:58 AM

I'm old but never watch TV on a TV. My laptop is good enough for what I watch. And yes, it's great to have news or interviews or series that don't require a lot of attention on while I cook.

When I watch TV with my ancient parents, it's so jarring to see everything so huge. That's fine for quality movies, but I don't need to see every pore of Rachel Maddow's face.

Final ruling: no to televisions mounted over the fireplace, and no to enormous televisions that overpower the living room.

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2023 5:18 AM

I was going to have my TV over the fireplace but it could only be seen by those on the couch in that position. I bought an older house and it wouldn’t have worked.

by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2023 5:38 AM

I had a small TV in my kitchen. Now, I have an iPad propped up on the counter.

It is enjoyable to cut up onions, etc., while watching something on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2023 6:28 PM

So many of you sound so unfuckable.

by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2023 6:44 PM

You, on the other hand, sound like sex on legs, R46

by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2023 7:52 PM

It depends on whether it goes well with the decor, the height. and the distance of the viewers from the television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2023 10:25 PM

[quote]It depends on whether it goes well with the decor, the height. and the distance of the viewers from the television.

And whether you have a tiny little faux fireplace, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2023 10:27 PM

That is a horrible placement r48. Would be better to move the one couch off the blue wall, put the tv on a long low stand against that wall and have the couch facing across from it.

The way it currently is set up the best viewing is from the sofa facing it but the screen is small and the couch kind of far. And unless you are lying down and looking up from the other sofa it would be very uncomfortable to watch TV from sitting on that sofa.

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2023 10:53 PM

Seconding r50. That television at that distance is too small.

There is something else, IMO, besides neck and spine issues, wrong with that placement, devised by interior decorators to save floor space; to wit:

The excessive spatial distance in all directions makes it easy to ignore, or at least not feel connected to, the on-screen action and actors.

by Anonymousreply 51January 22, 2023 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!