Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does Anyone Remember Jack Lord, Kent McCord or Mike Connors?

3 of the dullest, colorless actors who ever got a very lucky show biz SAG break. God does work in mysterious ways

by Anonymousreply 47January 22, 2023 6:30 AM

All three perfect in their most well known roles. Someone got it right.

by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2023 5:04 PM

All three of them had a *look*. You, OP, you don't have a *look*.

by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2023 5:11 PM

Yes.

R1 is a fool because Jack Lord was a skeletal-mask no-talent who spent so much time with his eye makeup and multi-color wigs that it was left to the rest of the cast to try to piece a plot together from the wreckage of his miscasting.

Personality-free, arrogant and a terrible actor.

Kent McCord at least was hot and Mike Connors had experience and a good sense of timing and humor. He was Holland Taylor's big-dicked fuck in that nasty Sheen show, after all.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2023 5:12 PM

I would add Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) to the list.

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2023 5:20 PM

R3 cunts right out of the gate. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2023 5:31 PM

I remember from MST3K that Mike Connors was once known as "Touch" Connors.

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2023 6:13 PM

Kent McCord......I wanted to have his baby.....and now according to a thread here on DL - I can!

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2023 7:00 PM

This still makes me laugh.

So - how about it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2023 7:05 PM

R7, what do you mean? What thread?

by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2023 7:17 PM

Funny stuff, R8. I forgot how hot Kent McCord was! I remember I really wanted to be his friend as a young boy. I didn’t know why that was at the time. Now I know that he must’ve been my very first attraction to a man!

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2023 7:35 PM

Jack Lord was perfect in the Steve McGarrett role. I forgot who said it (I'm sorry), but in an interview, someone said that everybody (original Hawaii 5-0) knew it was camp, except for Jack Lord.

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2023 7:40 PM

Mike Connors was from Fresno and was born Krikor Ohanian. He was the pride of the town when Mannix was on.

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2023 7:52 PM

Thread closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2023 7:54 PM

Fhjkk

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2023 7:55 PM

QB Tom Brady always looks like Kent McCord to me. Same chin, dimple, smile...I'd like to blow the both of them.

by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2023 7:57 PM

Their lucky break had a name: Henry Willson.

by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2023 8:15 PM

r13 Mannix was produced by Desilu.

by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2023 8:43 PM

[quote]Mike Connors was from Fresno and was born Krikor Ohanian. He was the pride of the town when Mannix was on.

And then, several decades later, "In the Heat of the Night's" Alan Autry became Fresno's mayor for two terms.

by Anonymousreply 18January 20, 2023 8:45 PM

Touch in tights...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2023 8:49 PM

R7 there's a thread here titled A MAN CAN HAVE A BABY!

by Anonymousreply 20January 20, 2023 9:16 PM

Mannix, starring Mike Connors was on TV for eight years! Is that because there were only 3 networks or was there something about the actor and the program? The program is available on the FETV channel through my cable system and it's not bad. He's good in the role. The show was cutting edge at the time too - Mannix's secretary is a black woman, who has an actual role on the show (well, it's small, but he trets her like an equal, she has an actual life) and it's very violent - he shoots a lot of bad guys and I read that over the course of the show, he's shot 20 times!

If you get to see the show's first season, it's very, very different. Mannix works for a large investigative corporation, Intellitect. They used computers to solve cases... this is when the show was produced by Desilu. All of that changed in subsequent seasons.

by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2023 9:19 PM

Neither Lord nor McCord (McWhirter) were represented by Henry Willson.

I don't know about Touch Connors, was represented by Willson early in his acting career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2023 9:24 PM

Strike "I don't Know" - from that sentence. Sloppy editing.

Touch Connors got his nickname from the way he handled the basketball at UCLA.....so they say.

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2023 9:26 PM

Hey, bub @ r21, I won an Emmy *and I was kidnapped in one of the episodes!

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2023 9:27 PM

Henry Willson repping Mike Conners? No way. Mike Conners wasn't a fruit! Though TOUCH Conners sounds like a name Willson would come up with, and ..... Touch???!!!......Hmmmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2023 11:17 PM

yea, yea, yea, Gail (Peggy Fair)... sorry your so thin-skinned, even from the grave. Anyone think there should be a Mannix reboot? I mean, if Hawaii 5-0 can get seasons on CSB...

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2023 1:11 AM

[quote] sorry your so thin-skinned,

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2023 1:18 AM

I always thought that Peggy had the goods on Mannix

by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2023 1:21 AM

oh no! - I've been appropriately spanked here in DL-land

CORRECTION: "sorry you're so thin-skinned..."

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2023 1:22 AM

[quote]sorry your so thin-skinned, even from the grave.

I'm a zombie, so...

by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2023 1:24 AM

I watched Mannix because yeah there were only three networks at the time and the other two must’ve been showing something I wanted to watch even less.

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2023 2:02 AM

Jack Lord started out making industrial videos.

by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2023 2:39 AM

R22 my link at R22 lists Connors as among Willson's clients. I couldn't believe it either.

And even though Desilu produced only the first season of Mannix - it really was a Desilu production because Paramount had purchased Desilu and folded their productions into Paramount Television.

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2023 2:51 AM

[quote]I forgot how hot Kent McCord was!

Forget about Kent. Martin Milner could have fucked me every day and twice on Sundays. Do you think George Maharis ever got to ride Marty's cock?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2023 3:09 AM

Jack Lord was such a pompous asshole. He had to be the center of every scene he was in. He read poetry on set. It must have been miserable to work with him. He did love the arts so its sorta tragic that the last years of his life he was lost in Alzheimer's disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2023 4:39 AM

I'm not the butler, Neely!

by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2023 5:22 PM

Kent McCord was a god. And frankly, he's still a damn fine looking man.

by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2023 5:42 PM

I loved Mannix and bought the entire series on dvd. Mike Connors had something, charisma or whatever. Great voice, and since there were very few love interests for Mannix, I probably imagined he could be gay.

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2023 7:03 PM

If he wasnt getting any from Peggy the secretary then he had to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2023 7:50 PM

I don’t give it up to just anyone.

I’m no whore.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2023 8:07 PM

Mike Connors, Alejandro Rey and Bobby Sherman were my earliest crushes.

Three different types, but all very appealing to this gayling.

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2023 8:41 PM

Gail Fisher was on Celebrity Jeopardy once during the run of Mannix and she was one of the dumbest contestants ever.

She couldn't remember to phrase her answer as a question.....but her replies were so dumb, Alex finally just started saying "No" when she finally rang in and said something. She ended up in the minus column by several hundred dollars.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2023 10:31 PM

I can vouch that Kent McCord is still a fox. I met him at a convention several years ago and boy, what a fine silver daddy. Big hands, too. I can still feel his handshake.

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2023 10:50 PM

r42 Alex Trebek didn't start hosting Jeopardy until 1984, a decade after "Mannix" ended.

by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2023 3:26 AM

Classic '70s movie-of-the-week starring Mike Connors, Cloris Leachman & Stephanie Zimbalist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2023 4:50 AM

Ah.....it must have been Art Fleming then......sorry.

by Anonymousreply 46January 22, 2023 5:44 AM

[quote]Mannix, starring Mike Connors was on TV for eight years! Is that because there were only 3 networks or was there something about the actor and the program?

It was actually expected to be renewed for a ninth season but was canceled unexpectedly. Per Wikipedia:

[quote]Mannix finished its eighth season in the top 20 in the Nielsen ratings and plans were made for a ninth season. Mike Connors said that he had been told at a CBS network party the week before the network was to release its 1975 fall schedule that the show was a certain pickup. However, something out of Connors' control left him without a job shortly thereafter.

[quote]The incident did not involve primetime programming at CBS, but instead involved the late-night network offerings of the other two major networks at the time. The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson was the overwhelming ratings leader in the period for NBC. ABC had been a distant third in the battle during the 1970s after replacing The Dick Cavett Show with a wheel series referred to as Wide World of Entertainment. Looking to improve its ratings against Carson and The CBS Late Movie, which CBS was airing at the time, ABC began contacting production companies in an attempt to purchase rebroadcast rights for various series.

[quote]At the time, ABC and Paramount had a fairly successful relationship that was starting to build. ABC took advantage of that and approached Paramount with an offer to purchase the rights to rebroadcast older episodes of Mannix as part of their late-night lineup, which they agreed to do.

[quote]CBS was unhappy with the move, as Paramount had not informed them of what they were planning to do. The idea of having one of their series airing on a competing network, even if it was only in reruns, turned the tide of opinion against Mannix, as CBS felt viewers would stay away from the newer episodes airing on their network since they could watch the series on a competitor. Thus, when CBS released its schedule a few days later, Mannix was not a part of it. Connors found out about the cancellation through a phone call, with a reporter contacting him asking for comment. Connors said in a later interview, "I felt so lost when it was over."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 22, 2023 6:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!