Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Streisand's memorable movie theme songs

I'm not a gung-ho Streisand stan, but she really did have a few songs that were, to use an overused term, iconic for their time.

Some artists get one or two if they're lucky (unless your name is Judy Garland, of course) but I'd argue she had three.

(And I'm talking about songs written for her and/or the movie - Hello Dolly was iconic, too, but for Carol Channing and others.)

These three really seem to be memorable standards even years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2023 9:54 PM

I liked “The Main Event”.

by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2023 12:37 AM

I liked this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2023 12:41 AM

Barbra always sings like she's on a Broadway stage. She seems to always be belting out the songs.

This is why I'm not a Streisand Stan Fred or fan.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2023 12:43 AM

What about the Love Theme from What's up Doc?

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2023 12:50 AM

what movie was Evergreen from?

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2023 12:55 AM

R5 A Star is Born

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2023 12:57 AM

Very funny, R4. I actually love that love theme. When I saw it in the movie theater, most of the very large audience sat and listened to it. It wasn't a credit reading crowd so they were staying for the song.

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2023 12:59 AM

[quote] what movie was Evergreen from?

A Star is Born (1976)

by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2023 12:59 AM

The version of the Way We Were over the film titles is sublime. The tempo is quicker than the hit version and her vocal quality is at her peak. Much better arrangement too.

by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2023 4:24 AM

Where's the option for Ethel singing "Shortnin' Bread"? Or "Lily of the Valley"?

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2023 4:25 AM

R7, You're the Top is not a "love theme."

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2023 12:55 PM

R11, I think R4 was making a pretty funny little joke. You sound like an insufferable, humorless bottom.

- R7

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2023 12:26 PM

I think the only individual for whom the song “Hello Dolly” is iconic for is a Louis Armstrong.

That said, The Way We’re Were.

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2023 6:16 PM

I agree that You’re the Too should be at the top of this list- she sings the hell out of it- definitive.

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2023 7:36 PM

R11, neither is The Eyes of Laura Mars. If I remember correctly, it's about a serial killer or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2023 9:45 PM

Clear day...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2023 9:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!