Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How close do you live to where you were born?

Just curious. I live within 50 miles of my birthplace. But I love where I was born, and just moved from the suburbs to the city starting at college.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2023 11:46 PM

576 miles, according to Google Maps

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2023 6:33 PM

I ended up in the city of my birth by complete coincidence. I was born on the West Coast, and we moved when I was two and I grew up in the Midwest. I went to the East Coast for college and graduate school, and then got my first job in the South, but I've moved back to the West Coast city of my birth simply because I happened to get a job here.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2023 6:39 PM

4000-something miles. But then I grew up in an ugly place of small minds and fat people bent on doing their feeble best to argue that it was the rest of the world that was always wrong while they were always right (you know, the "common sense" thing.)

I moved away to college at the first opportunity and never moved back, living in big cities and finally travelling to very different places in other countries. Now I live outside my birth country and have citizenship in 3 countries.

I tell young people to make travel and the challenge of new places and situations a priority, to make a break with the familiar, the expected path.

In part, it's easy to admire people who take over the houses of their parents, who live near family and friends they've known all their lives, who have a good history and affection for a place, but inevitably these people have moved away, have seen the world, and found that there was something compelling back where they started. Good for them. It's a nice thing, but I think that element of decision --not simply comfort-- is key.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2023 7:04 PM

I clicked one mile but it's more like 2.5. However I was born in a major city and lived elsewhere in my 20s and early 30s. I voluntarily "moved back home" when my parents were getting older. Now I'm 55and they're gone, but I'm pretty settled here with a partner, career and seep social connections. No regrets.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2023 7:10 PM

*deep social connections.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2023 7:10 PM

Three subway stops.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2023 7:13 PM

I went from the Eastern time zone to the Pacific. I have maybe 100 or so miles to go before I hit water.

Apparently my hometown and current town are just shy of 2,400 miles apart.

I did live, on and off, until my early thirties in the nearest big city near my hometown. But it was a place that was deeply provincial and resistant to change, not much of an improvement from my three-stoplight town, best known for a place where two highways intersected. So yeah, once I went West I just kept going. Have lived in all 4 US time zones now.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2023 7:17 PM

I grew up in the middle of Long island and now I live 35 miles away in Queens, on the same damned island.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2023 7:18 PM

I was born in Cleveland, OH and I live in Rome, Italy. I am 4,579 miles away from home.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2023 7:28 PM

I live about 2 miles from where my father was born and about 12 miles from where my mother was born.

No, it’s not Chipping Cleghorn.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2023 7:33 PM

A map showing relative stability/movement in U.S. states and European, roughly showing 70% and higher average stability in Europe and in the U.S. more mobility, with the stability rate varying by state up to 70%. (See link at R3 to study that showed increasing stabilty and that "over all, the median distance Americans live from their mother is 18 miles, and only 20 percent live more than a couple of hours’ drive from their parents.")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2023 10:23 AM

I was born in Fort Worth, TX and live in New York City, so a long way.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2023 1:14 PM

Toity one if I take the parkway. Toity tree on the turnpike.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2023 1:27 PM

R3 How did you wind up with citizenship in three countries? I have friends living in Denmark and England (Americans) and they are having the hardest time getting citizenship. One is a neurologist and the other is a professor. One is married to a permanent resident and the other is married to a citizen. Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2023 4:26 PM

Born at Presbyterian Hospital (now part of NY Presbyterian Hospital) on 168th, and live near 66th Street and West End Ave in NYC ! Haven’t gotten far!

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2023 5:09 PM

49 miles from my house to the hospital where I was born. I live on the other side of the metro area where I grew up.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2023 5:13 PM

400 miles currently. I’m amazed at how many classmates are still there. I couldn’t wait to leave the day I graduated high school. I have no family there, so I haven’t been back in 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2023 5:19 PM

2,393 miles. Born in Hawaii (military Dad), live in CA now (growing up and for most of my life). Lived in NY for over a decade+ at one point, so that would have been 4,682 miles.

I think traveling is extremely important to expand one's life experience and viewpoints, to experience what life is like outside of your own backyard. If you decide you love where you were born/raised and want to live there still, that's a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2023 5:25 PM

2700km…. Perth -> Melbourne

Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2023 5:31 PM

I left for my career, then retired to my hometown. I have kinfolks in most of the city cemeteries.

Much cheaper to live here than where I was so my retirement $$$ goes farther.

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2023 5:36 PM

About 530 miles from where I was born, 700 miles from where I grew up.

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2023 5:43 PM

R14, by good luck. Country 1 by birth; Country 2 by grandparents; Country 3 by making it my residence for 2 years (the process speeded and smoothed by a passport from Country 2 and marriage to a national of Country 3.)

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2023 6:56 PM

OP does realize that if you live within 1 mile, you also live within 25 miles, 100 miles and 3000 miles, right?

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2023 7:14 PM

For 35 years 3000 miles away. Last 3 years 150 miles away.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2023 7:28 PM

R22 Makes sense. Neither of them have European relatives. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2023 9:35 PM

I’m sitting in my birth recliner

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2023 9:50 PM

I was born in NYC, moved to New Mexico, got tired of the desert and wound up in Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2023 9:54 PM

400 miles.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2023 11:19 PM

2.9 miles from the hospital where I was born.

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2023 11:23 PM

I've never really thought about it. According to Mapquest, it is 468 miles.

I've not been back to that town in nearly 50 years when my family drove through it to point out the hospital. I have no real reason to go there. I have relatives planted in the Quaker cemetery in the next county, but the place holds no ties whatsoever. My parents moved to another state when I was 8 days old.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2023 11:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!