Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you let your pets sleep with you?

Both my cat and dog sleep with me. Warm, cuddly bliss.

by Anonymousreply 169January 31, 2023 12:00 AM

Yes. Cats breathing softly and purring puts me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2023 12:27 AM

Are they rescue dogs and cats?

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2023 12:32 AM

I don't have any pets, so no. But dogs are smelly and cats are always plotting to do you harm, so I can't imagine wanting them in my bed.

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2023 12:33 AM

of course I do. Waking up and he's so happy is the highlight of my day, every day.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2023 12:34 AM

My dog sleeps on her bed, which is on my bed.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2023 12:41 AM

R2, I adopted my dog, a shihpoo, from a breeder. He is as hypoallergenic as you can get in a dog (I have allergies, but he doesn’t have that “dog smell”).

My cat was adopted from a shelter.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2023 12:43 AM

I would be insulted if my dog *didn't* want to sleep with me.

I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He's 13 years old and has lost a lot of function in his rear legs over the past 7 months, so quite often drags himself around unless he gets himself running in his lame gait manner. I help him into bed as he is a small dog and can't really get himself up his steps anymore (although he's figured out how to drag himself down the steps and out of the bed). He is fine in all other ways, although he does have a cataract in at least one eye.

He will sleep with me until his last day on this earth.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2023 12:44 AM

Yes. When he wants to. Sometimes he shares my bed, sometimes he sleeps on his own bed. I’ve no idea what goes on his mind. But at some point during the night, he wakes me up by hoisting his ass on my bed, and he’s always next to me when the alarm goes off.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2023 12:49 AM

Every time my cat hears me constantly scream at the hook-up to ‘Fuck my pussy’, she runs from the bed.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2023 12:52 AM

In the cold months all 3 of my cats usually end up in bed with me. I build them a nest out of a folded comforter behind me and they snuggle down into it. My cats are a mama and her son & daughter, so they are very loving toward each other and love to sleep closely together.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2023 12:53 AM

One of my rescue dogs sleeps with me every night. It’s the best. If I awaken during the night, I always reach an empty over to touch him. Very calming.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2023 1:00 AM

God no

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2023 1:04 AM

R11 "I always reach an empty over to touch him"

That sounds disturbing

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2023 1:04 AM

Our 2 dogs and 1 cat sleep with my partner and I every night. Wouldn't have it any other way.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2023 1:07 AM

I like that your cats are from the same family, r10. The way that kittens are usually separated from mother and siblings at an early age when adopted out bothers me

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2023 1:07 AM

You don't "adopt" a pet from a breeder, you _buy_ one. One shouldn't lay claim to a decent act one didn't do.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2023 1:09 AM

YES! My dog is a Shorkie and also hypoallergenic . He cuddles up on top of the blanket on my left hand side, next to me. I wouldn't be able to fall asleep at night if he wasn't next to me.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2023 1:11 AM

Yes. We got our boy when he was8 weeks and made sure he slept in his crate - which was next to our bed, but as soon as he was potty trained he was allowed in the bed with us. He will actually try to get our attention to tell us he's ready for bed. He won't lay in it alone.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2023 1:15 AM

R16 thank you for your correction it means so much to me

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2023 1:18 AM

'Twas for R6.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2023 1:24 AM

[quote] I like that your cats are from the same family, [R10]

My 3 babies in the bed from a few nights ago. Mama Myrtle on the left, her daughter Millie cuddled up to her, and son Billy in the back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2023 1:25 AM

Looking forward to comments from TheFabulousMissLucy and Cosmo.

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2023 1:29 AM

It's actually where the phrases 2 dog night/ 3 dog night came from. They're meant to sleep in our beds even if we do have central heating.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2023 1:29 AM

Not only does my cat sleep with me, she'll sleep on me all day long if I stay still. I like it because I love her and she's very small, but it does get a little burdensome.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2023 1:33 AM

Yep, my dog loves sleeping on my legs or feet. She always has to be on top of me in some way.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2023 1:35 AM

All of my dogs slept in my bed, though the greyhounds tended to leave after a bit to stretch out in the office. I refused to give up more than 2/3 of the queen- sized bed to them, so I guess I was a big meanie. The little dogs tended to sleep under the covers or on the pillows.

Since I traveled with work so much, I haven't had a dog in the past eight years. The cats rule, so they sleep where they please. Both usually end up on the bed somewhere by morning.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2023 1:35 AM

Ok, R16.

I paid $400 when I bought my dog from the breeder. He was “on sale.”

Did I miss anything?

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2023 2:00 AM

I sleep with my pet. She allows me about one-fourth of the bed. Yorkie.

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2023 2:20 AM

Sleep with my three kitties, 1-3 at any given time. They’re like little furnaces in the winter and their contented biscuit-making puts me to sleep. A big happy family are we.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2023 2:23 AM

No, I love my dogs and they're allowed in my bedroom but they're not allowed on the bed. The only time they are is at the end of the week, in the morning as I'll be changing the bed sheets.

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2023 2:26 AM

I don’t have a dog 🐕 or a cat 🐱 now, but when I did, yes they were always allowed on the bed. That’s part of the point. They’re family.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2023 2:28 AM

My Jack Russell always slept on the bed, under a blanket. If I forgot to put a blanket on top of the comforter, he burrowed under the sheets and blanket. Now that he is geriatric, blind, mostly deaf, and cannot go up and down the stairs, I carry him upstairs at bedtime and lay him down and cover him up with his blanket. At sixteen year old, he does not have much time left, so I am not going to banish him from the bed. Occasionally he gets up to move around, loses his balance, and falls off of the (tall) bed. Usually he finds his way to my pillow and I wake up smelling his old dog breath. I wouldn't have it any other way and I will miss him tremendously.

by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2023 2:29 AM

Yes, two large dogs and two very old cats.

I’ve slept with animals in my bed since I was a child.

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2023 2:34 AM

Yes, both of my dogs sleep with me. One by my head and one at my feet (they decided that, not me).

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2023 2:38 AM

I have the solution for those of you with smelly dogs who therefore are not allowed in bed. Give them a bath.

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2023 2:44 AM

I put a bath sheet on his side of the bed over the bottom sheet.

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2023 3:12 AM

Of course! Mine has slept with me since I adopted her 13 years ago. Now I can't imagine sleeping without her snuggled next to me.

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2023 3:35 AM

I have a Golden Retriever I adopted from a family member who couldn’t keep him. He is welcome to sleep in my bed but doesn’t. He has his bed in the corner of my room. He puts himself to bed at 10:00 every night. Occasionally I will catch him during the day napping with the cat in the sun on my bed. The cat sleeps with me and always has. She lets me rub her belly until I fall asleep and then during the night moves down by my feet.

The cat belly rubbing thing only started a year ago after my other cat died. He never slept with me, he had a favorite chair in the living room and if I stayed up too late or God forbid someone was sitting in his chair, her would get anxious and start pacing because he wanted to go to bed. After he died my other cat became much more affectionate and cuddly and still remains so.

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2023 3:37 AM

Here's my 13 year old, as a 3 month old and now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2023 3:48 AM

Dollface thread!

by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2023 3:52 AM

The big cat sleeps with me all night but the older, little one stays on his big fluffy pillow on the living room chair. I leave TCM on mute for him all night.

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2023 4:25 AM

Yes 🙌🏼

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2023 4:59 AM

[quote]R16 You don't "adopt" a pet from a breeder, you _buy_ one.

And yet you can. My sister’s cat ended up being a partially curly haired Persian with an odd tail that they couldn’t sell because… all that doesn’t fit into the breed’s profile, or whatever. I think the owner had put out an ad or something that the little runt was available.

All he does is purr all day and try to get in her lap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2023 5:43 AM

Of course.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2023 6:28 AM

23,000 years of this can't be wrong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2023 7:02 AM

sweetest thing in the world, havin my pup next to me......!!!!

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2023 7:26 AM

[quote] Waking up and he's so happy is the highlight of my day, every day.

That’s so depressing / embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2023 8:26 AM

[quote]Do you let your pets sleep with you?

No way I'm sleeping with that guy. He snores like a sawmill.

I do, however, appreciate the treats and tuna.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2023 8:35 AM

R25, I've dated bottoms like your dog. They must be attached to me somehow.

It's kinda nice actually.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2023 8:35 AM

My cat likes to hold paws. It's so nice usually but hard to text or surf with one hand.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2023 3:42 PM

That’s sweet r50. I love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2023 4:06 PM

I would love to, but have a pet parrot. I don't want to crush her. I let her sleep on me during MY waking hours if she feels inclined to droop, but it's not safe to sleep with a pet bird.

I have napped with her cage in my room and her in it. Overall, she's very particular about her bedtime and "VANTS TO BE ALONE"

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2023 4:08 PM

[quote] Our 2 dogs and 1 cat sleep with my partner and I every night.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2023 4:29 PM

My tortie cat loves to sit on my lap when I watch TV and cuddle next to me when I go to bed. But I'm a restless sleeper and often turn from side to side. She doesn't like that.

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2023 10:43 PM

Yes; two Labradors. It's why I usually wake up clinging to the gimp of the mattress.

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2023 11:39 PM

It makes me laugh when pets hog the bed and blankets.

by Anonymousreply 56January 20, 2023 12:10 AM

Yes. My cat likes to sleep next to me in bed. I find it so comforting.

by Anonymousreply 57January 20, 2023 12:24 AM

Yes. 2 of three cats take opposite ends at the foot of the bed. The third sleeps in the hallway for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 58January 20, 2023 12:48 AM

My dog won't sleep on the bed with me. She doesn't like me :(

by Anonymousreply 59January 20, 2023 1:00 AM

Petless now, but I loved having the animals in bed with me.

Airedales always put me to bed, and then would slink off to the coldest entryway in the house.

Dachshunds always focussed their weight against, making me move away from the warm spot.

Tabbies slept on my neck.

Tuxedos usually slept on a pillow where they could stare at me.

My siamese - they always saw me to bed, slapped the shit out of all the other pets, and then served as designated alarm clock/face slapper in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 60January 20, 2023 1:01 AM

I have an all-indoor cat who’s on Revolution all year round and gets regular wellness visits. She grooms herself constantly like most cats do and I give her a thorough comb-out every day. I keep her litter boxes scrupulously clean. So she’s perfectly hygienic and okay to sleep anywhere she likes.

by Anonymousreply 61January 20, 2023 1:13 AM

The funny thing about having a pet cuddled in bed with me is it’s nice for about 30 mins. but then I feel like I can’t move lest I disturb them.

Which is of course their plan all along.

by Anonymousreply 62January 20, 2023 1:32 AM

Petless now, too, but I usually liked it when other people's big dogs would sleep with me, but as a novelty -- a few were exhausting. When I've had dogs they've been big ones and they were in the habit of sleeping in their own beds which made sense to me in the long term given their size and habits

Cats have always sleep with me. I sleep still as a corpse, or almost, so even fussy cats will sleep with me or on my side of the bed. Some slept at my feet, or my side, atop my chest, or curled around my head, at their most relaxed because they felt protected.

by Anonymousreply 63January 20, 2023 1:33 AM

R3 spoken by someone who is ignorant of the subject and likely devoid of love.

by Anonymousreply 64January 20, 2023 1:37 AM

Cats sleep near your head because they love all the heat emitting from your face and head. Interesting animals who are covered in fur and love being warm.

by Anonymousreply 65January 20, 2023 1:39 AM

Yes, I love that they sleep with me.

by Anonymousreply 66January 20, 2023 2:35 AM

Mr Grumpy Pantaloons graces me with his furry presence for a few minutes every night at bedtime, then retires to his room (he has a bed in the walk in closet).

by Anonymousreply 67January 20, 2023 2:35 AM

Mr. Grumpy Pantaloons strikes me as the type of cat that would wear a dressing gown.

(And for that alone I love him!)

by Anonymousreply 68January 20, 2023 2:37 AM

Mini caftan, r68.

by Anonymousreply 69January 20, 2023 2:40 AM

I live with a Norwegian Forest Cat/Maine Coon/whatever else. She is a big girl with pantaloons. I've always thought a caftan would suit her.

by Anonymousreply 70January 20, 2023 2:41 AM

I can't imagine not. I can't imagine having pets and then getting all bitter about them being on the bed or couches or whatever. I can't deal with the whole crate culture, either, although I know that is actually well intentioned. I still just can't.

by Anonymousreply 71January 20, 2023 2:46 AM

i bought a crate for my 13 year old pug a year ago and he's never spent a minute in it. I just can't make him do it.

So the crate just exists. It takes up space. And that's all it does.

by Anonymousreply 72January 20, 2023 3:50 AM

Been six years since the last of my three Eldercats passed. Every single night I think about her cuddling closely and purring intensely as I would fall asleep. When the two boys (who became grumpy old men) were around, the three of them would all assume their same strategic positions in bed on or next to me after I got into bed. I'd pet each of their heads for a moment to start their engines, then fall asleep to a Symphony of purring. I live in a small, loft style house with no door to the bedroom, so I had no choice but to let them sleep in my bed. If I had a door, they'd have screamed, cried, complained, and clawed through it, anyway.

When I was essentially bedridden for months with cancer, the strangest things happened. The two males who would always rudely awaken me at 5:00am to be fed and then let outside for all day to patrol the hood stayed in bed with me all day. The three of them, who did not like to be close to each other, all took a position at the top of and both sides of my head, whereas they used to sleep closer to my legs and opposite each other, with the extra clingy Princess always snuggled between my legs. I was sort of in and out of consciousness. I'd wake up in the middle of the day to three cats who didn't like each other much, all just staring into my eyes, purring. Miss them.

Can't have pets at the moment but am looking forward to retirement soon and living in a larger house in a more suburban area that will be more conducive to being able to take care of pets. They will certainly be allowed on the bed!

BTW, as I type, have been watching a mouse run around my house, ignoring the eight baited traps I set. Caught two last week, but this one is smart. This was NEVER the case when the cats were around. Sometimes I'd get an undead rodent delivered to me, but they were easy enough to capture and flush. Usually they were fully killed rats or mice gifted to me at my door step outside.

by Anonymousreply 73January 20, 2023 4:42 AM

My dog sleeps on his own blanket on the bed. If I come to bed late and toss and turn a bit before I get to sleep, he will give a tortured sigh to show I'm disturbing him.

by Anonymousreply 74January 20, 2023 1:06 PM

Two of the males, Cash and Dax, sleep at the foot of the bed, and sometimes will cuddle together. The Siamese boy, Koh, loves to snuggle with humans, and he especially likes to get under the blankets.

Miss Lucy makes her bed in an armchair and I keep a blanket there for her use.

The other two girls are hardcore. Molly, an ex-stray sleeps on top of the kitty condo, and isn't terribly fond of the other cats, except for Dax, whom she adores, Peggy was a feral cat, and is still rather aloof. I keep a blanket for her in the back hallway.

by Anonymousreply 75January 20, 2023 2:02 PM

Yes, and she's the sweetest to go to bed with and wake up with. When i first got her, Id put her little donut bed on my bed, but the donuts stay on the floor so wherever Im doing something she has a place to curl up. She has her own blanket but when I put my head on the pillow she curls up to my chest putting her head on the pillow too. She's a tiny yorkie and is very much a little lady, knows better than to try to stand on the pillows.

by Anonymousreply 76January 20, 2023 4:07 PM

My beloved late Cosmo used to make his own bed. Cats like to perch in high places, and/or on top of things, like their ancestral tigers in trees, perhaps. I have a Club chair with a lumbar support pillow and a folded throw blanket over the back. Cosmo used to jump on the chair, knock the pillow over so that it was on the seat, and then he'd pull the throw blanket down, very deliberately, so that it was over the pillow. Then he'd curl up on top of his new bed and stare and purr at me as if an invitation to join him.

by Anonymousreply 77January 20, 2023 11:59 PM

Sometimes my cat sleeps with me. But I get hot. Plus, the cat wakes me up in middle of the night.

by Anonymousreply 78January 21, 2023 1:35 AM

These are nice stories.

I have a Lab. She divides her time between the bed and her bed. As someone said upthread, I have no idea what her mind is up to when she switches it up.

by Anonymousreply 79January 21, 2023 1:45 AM

My dog sleeps on my bed at times during the day, but won't sleep on it when I'm in it. He heads directly for his bed, which is at the foot of mine. However, as soon as he detects I'm awake in the morning, he's right up on the bed trying to lick my face. Weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 80January 21, 2023 2:25 AM

R77 Cosmo, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 81January 21, 2023 2:33 AM

My husky was very sweet and good company. She was always in the house with us when we were home but stayed outside and in her dog house when we were at work during the day.

On really cold winter days in the morning she would hide in the office hoping we would forget and let her stay inside!! We would call.and call her, eventually peeling into the office.

She would acknowledge with a big flappy tail and look up at us with big blue eyes. Never moved until we cajoled her to go out. She was fine outside! But obviously the house was preferable.

by Anonymousreply 82January 21, 2023 7:13 AM

r81, JFC!! Didn't get the reference, Googled it, and came up with a 3 minute clip of "Moonstruck" which featured two of my favorite people on the planet -- Olympia Dukakis (a dead ringer for my mother) and Cher. Never saw it. Going to watch it soon, lest I lose my gay card.

Note that I inherited "Cosmo," a gigantic, affectionate, smart, and demanding orange tabby from my crazy cat lady Greek mother, who worked at City Hall in a small town in N. CA. When she heard a cat crying in the 100' Redwood tree in her yard, she called the fire department crew (all of them friends and the station was 3 blocks from the house), they came with a big ladder rig truck and snagged him, straight out of a freakin Norman Rockwell painting. The story made the local news. She named him Cosmos, because he came from the sky/heavens. In Greek, they don't pronounce the "s" at the end of a name, so he became "Cosmo". No idea why, but my own name is a similar case.

Long story short, Cosmo was flown to SFO on a small feeder airline subsidiary of United on a tiny plane, now appearing to me from The Friendly Skies. This was pre-9/11, and I met him on the tarmac. Cosmo soon became The Boss of my block in San Francisco. Everyone knew him. He'd follow neighbors walking home from the BART station after work -- expecting to be fed, which often they did -- when I was late. Wish I knew how to post a pic of his regal majesty here. Cosmo liked to sleep next to my left leg at night in bed, away from my other two cats, with his domineering, baritone, alpha male purr. Given the year that he was rescued from my Mom's tree, we figure that he had to have been over an astonishing 23 years old when I finally had to put the old man down. We were both dealing with cancer at the time, but I had better health insurance coverage.

This was maybe seven years ago, still talking about my dead cats, and am in serious need of therapy, heavy meds, or maybe just get some goddamned needy, high-maintenance, bossy, adorable replacement cats and deal with the inevitable fleas, vet bills, cat boxes, hauling bags of food, used and fresh cat litter up and down the 37 stairs to get to my house from the street in my old age?

by Anonymousreply 83January 21, 2023 8:07 AM

You made your dog stay outside "on really cold winter days," r82?

by Anonymousreply 84January 21, 2023 2:15 PM

R83 I am so glad to hear from you but am also sorry your Cosmo is no longer with us. Thank you for the history; he sounds like quite the character.

by Anonymousreply 85January 21, 2023 2:19 PM

Two Cosmos

by Anonymousreply 86January 21, 2023 2:49 PM

Clearly your husky didn't want to spend the day outside on really cold winter days. You sound like an asshole R82 and a terrible pet owner.

by Anonymousreply 87January 21, 2023 3:23 PM

I've had more than one vet tell me the Lab's resilience against extreme cold weather has long been bred out of them given the popularity of the breed as a pet, so I don't let mine swim in open water from Nov. to early May.

by Anonymousreply 88January 21, 2023 3:25 PM

When the dog is telling you I don't want to go outside, you listen to the dog, even if you think it's a breed suited to this or that.

by Anonymousreply 89January 21, 2023 3:25 PM

Cats love sleep, and sleeping with their owner in bed is major bonding behavior. In my entire life, all the cats slept with me and no one else.

by Anonymousreply 90January 21, 2023 3:57 PM

Also, as a foster - all my foster dogs have been required to sleep in my bed. That's 6-8 hours of trust building time. They learn to trust it's ok to relax around people and I trust them not to eat my face.

by Anonymousreply 91January 21, 2023 4:29 PM

Yes to my 2 cats 🐈 😻

by Anonymousreply 92January 21, 2023 4:32 PM

Cats purr to heal their bodies. When you were ill and your cats declared an amnesty to sleep together with you in your bed, they were healing you!

by Anonymousreply 93January 21, 2023 4:49 PM

Rescue Chick, 😂

by Anonymousreply 94January 21, 2023 5:20 PM

r93 that, if true, is such a wonderful thought.

by Anonymousreply 95January 21, 2023 5:21 PM

Yes, my sweet chihuahua sleeps next to my legs

by Anonymousreply 96January 21, 2023 5:21 PM

Is that what you kids call it nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 97January 21, 2023 5:33 PM

I loved the annoyed look on the other animals’ faces as my airedale Pheobe marched around the bed claiming bed rights.

She jostled everyone on the bed, would finally rest and give everyone fifteen minutes of peace, and then the bitch would get up, jump off the bed, and go down to the back porch entry to cool off.

“Why do you let that stinky cunt up here?” Was a nightly question from at least two cats and a dachshund. Because that’s my baby.

by Anonymousreply 98January 21, 2023 6:52 PM

Not only in my bed, but on my pillow. She is a small dog, but pushes me on the edge of the pillow.

by Anonymousreply 99January 21, 2023 8:05 PM

After seeing the hearts you guys have in this thread, I’m getting turned on.

A lot of you are husband material.

by Anonymousreply 100January 21, 2023 8:22 PM

Many years ago when I had several cats (all homeless and adopted), I woke up under the covers. Looked, and two of my cats - altered four year old male and three month old female cat he looked after - sprawled in the same position on my pillow. They loved the pillow like R99. Ten years later cat #1 had his own pillow on my bed. I had moved and found cat #2 a new home.

by Anonymousreply 101January 21, 2023 8:49 PM

[quote]Cats purr to heal their bodies.

R93 Never heard that before; any proof? I know my cat likes to be close to me and purrs but I never heard that they purr to heal themselves. I thought purring was instinctive - to show affection.

by Anonymousreply 102January 21, 2023 8:50 PM

Never heard it either, R93/R102. I think it's bull.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 21, 2023 8:52 PM

Cats do purr when they are ill or unwell too, supposedly to help the healing process.

by Anonymousreply 104January 21, 2023 8:59 PM

One of the reasons can be to heal and relieve pain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 21, 2023 9:02 PM

One would always sleep with me.

The next would sleep until I fell asleep and find her own place.

The next large one did for a bit but does sleep by my bed.

His "sister" used to but is a little chubby now and can't make the jump. She will sleep under the bed by her brother, but many times is on "her" couch.

by Anonymousreply 106January 21, 2023 9:04 PM

[quote]His "sister" used to but is a little chubby now and can't make the jump.

Have you thought about getting those pet steps for the cute little chunkster?

by Anonymousreply 107January 21, 2023 9:06 PM

We've always slept w/ our animals - cats and dogs (together almost 30 years, we've had a few).

Now we have an old dog, a puppy, and a cat. The cat will sleep with the old dog, but doesn't trust the puppy. The old dog's behavior has changed a bit - now when I get up in the middle of the night (if you're young, you don't understand this yet). Recently the old dog has taken the "warm spot" left when I get up. He won't move when I get back. I push, shove, pull... but he's like a tank. He refuses to move. So I align my body along the few inches at the edge of the bed he's left me. My partner just harrumphs unhappily at the noise. The old cranky fart (the partner, not the dog, who is sweet as sugar).

by Anonymousreply 108January 21, 2023 9:21 PM

You’re sweet too, r108!

You really are.

by Anonymousreply 109January 21, 2023 9:22 PM

r106 here.

she likes her couch the best.

i've put her on the bed but she will not stay and usually is on the couch.

by Anonymousreply 110January 21, 2023 9:34 PM

You links? cunts can fuck off and stay fucked off.

by Anonymousreply 111January 21, 2023 9:42 PM

My animals know I'm their boss, so when I say move, they move. Same when I see them switching dinner plates - one snap of my finger and they go back to their own.

I've had nine cats in my life - ALL of them purr when content. You can read all this stuff on the internet, but 99.9% of the time a cat purrs when they're happy.

by Anonymousreply 112January 21, 2023 10:32 PM

I love you R7 - you are a sweet sweet soul. We have two smallish rescue dogs and they both sleep with us.

by Anonymousreply 113January 21, 2023 11:40 PM

Animals who sleep with you detest it when a hookup is over

by Anonymousreply 114January 22, 2023 5:29 PM

Then why do they watch, t14?

by Anonymousreply 115January 22, 2023 5:34 PM

Let them sleep with me? Try stopping them, lol.

by Anonymousreply 116January 22, 2023 6:07 PM

I want most of the people on this thread in a biblical way.

by Anonymousreply 117January 22, 2023 6:12 PM

R117- 😘

by Anonymousreply 118January 22, 2023 7:46 PM

r117, lol! I considered proposing marriage to rescue-chick, but have a fear of rejection, as well as fear and ignorance of female anatomy. And would need to include ElderLez as a throuple to complicate things because she's so wonderful and I like complicated things.

by Anonymousreply 119January 24, 2023 1:27 AM

r119, do you have a nice big... 401k?

by Anonymousreply 120January 24, 2023 2:34 AM

No. My dog gets too annoyed with me for moving around while I sleep.

by Anonymousreply 121January 24, 2023 2:40 AM

She's a mini doodle and sleeping against me now. I'm the cliche. I never had kids of my own so she is my baby. I love her so much that I hate leaving her even for a night. We have sitters come stay with her but I worry myself too much that she will think I've abandoned her when we go away for a week this Spring. She brings me more joy than I ever knew possible for this cranky old queen.

by Anonymousreply 122January 24, 2023 3:03 AM

Also, I have refused to go out with someone when he made a derisive remark about me "allowing" my dog on my couch.

by Anonymousreply 123January 24, 2023 3:06 AM

It never could have worked out anyway, R123. Just as well you found out early.

by Anonymousreply 124January 24, 2023 11:42 AM

[quote] Do you let your pets sleep with you?

No. They would have to buy me a nice dinner first, and my pets don't have any money.

by Anonymousreply 125January 24, 2023 11:45 AM

He's too small to hop up on the bed and will meow angrily until I pull him up. Then he meows angrily while I pet him, and also meows angrily when I stop.

If I go to bed late (weekends) he will demand-meow until I retire to the bedroom. If I ignore him, he waits for me, with this waiting scowl.

He's a weirdo, but he's my weirdo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 24, 2023 3:19 PM

^^Cute af!

by Anonymousreply 127January 24, 2023 3:56 PM

I know what you mean, r119.

Maybe you and me, and ElderLez and rescue-chick should get together and form two lavender marriages. I definitely have a non-sexual crush on ElderLez, and you can only imagine my excitement when I recently found out she lives very close to me.

by Anonymousreply 128January 24, 2023 3:58 PM

This should be cross-referenced with the "How often do you change your bed linens?" thread.

by Anonymousreply 129January 24, 2023 4:03 PM

I had a retired racing greyhound who never slept on my bed. Sometimes he'd jump up in it while playing around and then jump right back off. His large dog bed was three feet away and we'd sleep on our own beds pretty much facing each other. He could only sleep if he could see me from wherever his bed was or he'd cry. He was a very dear and sweet dog.

by Anonymousreply 130January 24, 2023 5:18 PM

R126 = The White Devil

by Anonymousreply 131January 24, 2023 9:57 PM

For those of whose pets can’t make it up onto the bed, there are pet stairs. You can find inexpensive foam stairs which are great for little dogs or elderly cats at TJMaxx, Marshall’s and HomeGoods. The ones at pet stores are more expensive but they do have a selection of sturdier steps and ramps for bigger dogs. When I had two elderly cats who couldn’t jump up onto the bed or couch my house looked like a feline nursing home with little foam stairs leading to all the furniture.

by Anonymousreply 132January 25, 2023 12:00 AM

I have a giant, sturdy ottoman for my big guy to use to get on the bed.

by Anonymousreply 133January 25, 2023 12:03 AM

R32 here. My old guy is no longer with us. He stirred early this morning and, uncharacteristically, started whimpering. I took him downstairs and he went outside and peed, like normal. He came inside and poked around at his food, but went back outside and started "crying" and baying in a "voice" I had never heard. He was inconsolable and did not want to be touched.

Coincidentally I already had a vet appointment scheduled for later today, but called to bring him in right away. They sedated him upon arrival to ease whatever pain he was in. The vet offered to do testing to determine whether he was a candidate for pain meds, but he also said that pain management does not cure the underlying source of pain. That's no life, IMO.

I will eventually remember only the fantastic things and get past the grief of today. But I am happy that he is no longer in pain.

by Anonymousreply 134January 27, 2023 2:54 AM

R134, my heart is broken for you.

Know that we’re here for you and we love you just as much as he did. I know he thanked you for giving him such a wonderful life.

I am literally (not DL-style) crying as I type. I’m so sorry for your loss.

by Anonymousreply 135January 27, 2023 3:02 AM

I am so sorry for your loss, r32/rr134

by Anonymousreply 136January 27, 2023 4:24 AM

Likewise, R32. I have an elderly dog too and I dread the hole he will leave in my life, so I truly sympathise. Your boy had a great long life, though, with a speedy ending. You nurtured him lovingly through the inconveniences of old age and ensured he wasn't allowed to be in pain, so you have much to console yourself with. He was very probably better cared for than you are. I know that's not much use right now, but hopefully it will be as the days go by.

by Anonymousreply 137January 27, 2023 5:29 AM

R134 Ah, they take a part of our hearts with them with they leave. It's so hard to lose a long time companion. Peace to you.

by Anonymousreply 138January 27, 2023 4:24 PM

r134, I am so sorry

by Anonymousreply 139January 27, 2023 4:42 PM

[quote]Do you let your pets sleep with you?

Only in the bathtub.

by Anonymousreply 140January 27, 2023 4:43 PM

I love my Cavalier to death, but he snores, farts and stinks. And yes, we do give him a bath, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 141January 27, 2023 6:01 PM

R134, I am so sad to hear about your beloved dog.

“With great love comes great loss” is so true.

by Anonymousreply 142January 27, 2023 7:00 PM

My heart aches for and with you, R134.

The DL pet community has been so supportive in times of sorrow; many of us have experienced the pain firsthand while others know it is only a matter of time. All that to say take especially good care of yourself over the coming days, and know that he loved you to the last beat of his little heart - and knew that you loved him with equal devotion.

We are here for you. Just reach out.

by Anonymousreply 143January 27, 2023 7:05 PM

R32 / r134, I am thinking of you this morning and wishing you comfort and hope.

by Anonymousreply 144January 28, 2023 11:52 AM

Our two parrots sleep with us every night.

The birdshit gets a bit much after four hours, but we put up with it all night.

Mornings we head straight for the shower

by Anonymousreply 145January 28, 2023 12:08 PM

No, too much farting in bed. My old dog won't stand for it.

by Anonymousreply 146January 28, 2023 12:24 PM

I love when cats do that kneading before settling down!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147January 28, 2023 5:15 PM

R145, I would love to keep a bird, but not in a cage. So how much do they crap if left to fly freely?

by Anonymousreply 148January 28, 2023 5:16 PM

R148, I am not r145, who I think is pulling your leg, but I do have birds.

I keep them confined to a single room. I’m one of the gays upthread with cats and dogs, who would absolutely not be compatible with birds, but they’d be in a single room anyway because of the shit, and also because they get into everything and can be rather destructive with chewing, foraging, and even digging (in houseplants).

They sleep in their cages at night and come out during the day. There is plenty of poop to clean up. I laid down vinyl plank flooring over the original hardwood so that I can scrub it more easily.

I have kept birds off and on since I was a kid (now an eldergay), and I really enjoy their intelligence and inquisitiveness, as well as their beauty, but I’d be lying if I claimed that keeping them as pets doesn’t cause me guilt. They are somewhat tame but not domesticated, and I know that they’d be much happier flying free in Australia and Papua New Guinea rather than trapped in a closed-off room in Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 149January 29, 2023 12:04 AM

[quote]and Papua New Guinea

It’s Italian, you racist!

by Anonymousreply 150January 29, 2023 12:07 AM

[quote] Our two parrots sleep with us every night. The birdshit gets a bit much after four hours, but we put up with it all night. Mornings we head straight for the shower

Ewwwwwww !!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 151January 29, 2023 12:11 AM

Yesterday I woke up lying on my side, and the very first thing I saw was the kitten lying a few inches away on the pillows. He was gazing lovingly into my eyes, and started to purr like a chainsaw the moment he realized I was awake. Then, he began to link my nose.

A couple of months ago he was a starving stray, so I think this is working out for both of us.

by Anonymousreply 152January 29, 2023 1:11 AM

^^Awwwwwwwwwwww.

by Anonymousreply 153January 29, 2023 2:02 AM

I let my rescue dog sleep with me, but I also encourage him to explore experiences with other partners.

by Anonymousreply 154January 29, 2023 2:04 AM

Aw, an open relationship with a rescue dog!

by Anonymousreply 155January 29, 2023 2:09 AM

R154, you’re encouraging him to be a whore?

by Anonymousreply 156January 29, 2023 2:11 AM

R134, how you doin, hun?

by Anonymousreply 157January 29, 2023 2:11 AM

r156, the truth is that he has needs I am not comfortable fulfilling.

by Anonymousreply 158January 29, 2023 2:56 PM

There is nothing like feeling your pet plop in bed right next to you because it wants to sleep close to you. And nothing quite like seeing them stretch in the morning and give you lots of good morning kisses.

Quite literally, people who dont let their dogs sleep in the same bed are sociopaths. Period.

by Anonymousreply 159January 29, 2023 3:14 PM

Today, I dropped an olive, and the kitten who was starving to death on the streets a couple of months agohas been playing with it all afternoon. He only interrupts his game to eat, or to climb on my shoulder to purr at me.

Seriously, I'd rather sleep with him than a human man who snores. He's nicer.

by Anonymousreply 160January 30, 2023 12:19 AM

I had a cat who LOVED olives, r160.

If she heard the jar open, she’d come running from wherever she was and come skidding into the kitchen. She would play with it for a bit and then eat it. She absolutely went crazy over them. Only cat I’ve ever had that wanted to eat olives.

by Anonymousreply 161January 30, 2023 12:25 AM

R157 It's been three days, and time does heal. I miss him, of course. My tween daughter was distraught for two days and even she is doing better today. Thank you for asking.

by Anonymousreply 162January 30, 2023 1:11 AM

To those who are complaining about their dogs farting, that's mostly your fault. If you feed them processed food, they fart a lot and offensively. If you feed them human-grade meat or mince with grains and veggies added, if they fart at all you don't even notice.

by Anonymousreply 163January 30, 2023 3:33 AM

R163 Tallulah feeds raw. I’m the one feeding my CKCS kibble and mine rarely farts. I think a dog’s individual digestive system role plays a big role, which isn’t to say food doesn’t matter, but it isn’t everything.

R134 my condolences to you and your family.

by Anonymousreply 164January 30, 2023 11:15 AM

Cats should not be fed olives whether they love them or not.

by Anonymousreply 165January 30, 2023 4:17 PM

Damn R134. I am so sorry.

by Anonymousreply 166January 30, 2023 6:04 PM

My heart aches for you R134.

I am so, SO sorry.

by Anonymousreply 167January 30, 2023 6:24 PM

My sympathies, R134, I lost my old guy in November, and he was the best kitty ever! And the most devoted, he was my comfort and joy through two years of sheer hell, working in a COVID ICU and having a health crisis of my own, and the old fella didn't leave me until the worst times were over. All I could do in return was show him I loved him, and make sure he didn't suffer in the end.

by Anonymousreply 168January 30, 2023 9:11 PM

Introducing our very own fart sommelier at r163.

by Anonymousreply 169January 31, 2023 12:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!