Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Magda Gabor's former Palm Springs home is on the market

In the Gabor family since 1968, it first sold again in in 1998 for $440,000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2023 12:02 AM

Interesting article about the home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2023 3:57 AM

I read that Magda Goebbels.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2023 3:59 AM

What a magnificent view

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2023 4:00 AM

Phew!

For a second there, I was afraid it would look like a bordello!

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2023 4:01 AM

Interesting layout, seems perfect for a diva. Huge primary suite.

I hate the interior flagstone floors. Love the flagstone outside but's it's too unforgiving for indoors. Hard and irregular surface.

The decor is over the top but there are elements I like. The article at R2 says there were many star-studded parties held there, fashion shoots, too.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2023 4:10 AM

Makeover? It’s horrific. But $150,000 in painting and cosmetic updating, and it could be great. The Gabor sisters, LOL —syphilis-riddled whores with good hair colorists. NOT a marketing plus for a R/E listing..

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2023 4:15 AM

[quote]syphilis-riddled whores with good hair colorists

😹

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2023 4:28 AM

The Gabor sisters' hair outlives them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2023 4:30 AM

The fabulous Gabor sisters. They were all froth, frivolity, and glamor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2023 4:37 AM

A while back this Zsa Zsa interview showed in my suggestions on YouTube - not sure exactly what prompted it, but it's quite funny. Zsa Zsa is very charming and almost captivating. A funny story about Eva "Eva is a little bitch, though" made me laugh. It's around the 18:35 mark if you're interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2023 10:25 AM

Looks like a house for WHORES.

I’ll take it.

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2023 11:01 AM

440,000 in 98? And 3 million now. This is a big jump. Rip off and devaluation of American dollars

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2023 11:22 AM

Rip off indeed. But it seems like a fun house AND it has high ceilings to allow those large chandeliers. I do like a Marie Therese.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2023 11:41 AM

The Gabor gals were a wild bunch. Bi-polar Zsa Zsa persuaded her ex husband of 20 year prior (George Sanders) to marry poor old half brain dead Magda after she'd had a stroke and was a total invalid "just to keep him in the family". According to ZZ's daughter Francesca, Eva was a secret lesbo (she softened the claim with "bi-sexual) who had a sordid affair with Dietrich, among others, before bearding for her old friend Merv Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2023 11:52 AM

So, that's what they're calling "glamorous" in Palm Springs these days? Good God!

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2023 11:55 AM

It's an interesting house, more for its possibilities than for its reality. The exterior is a bit unfortunate; it reads more as a country club restaurant...I expected uniformed valet parking staff in front in Mexican Pink uniforms.

Agree with the earlier poster's concerns about the flag floor which is visibly irregular in surface -- and a lot of surface. Still, I'd keep it and the plan intact, losing some of the Hollywood Regency cabinetry with the applied moldings -- or put a giant gilt bronze door pull in the center on each: Family Affair style. I'd de-ZsaZsa the decor otherwise and go for MCM, which I only like from afar but would look good there. Nice to see high ceilings.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2023 11:58 AM

What can you even do with those flagstone floors? Can you sand them, or grind them down to a flat finish?

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2023 6:16 AM

Somewhere out there, a sugar daddums needs to make his squooshy-wooshy drag queen babycakes a very happy girl.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2023 6:43 AM

Ugly as sin. Looks like the home of a chain-smoking madam.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2023 6:54 AM

R11 is right. It [bold]IS[/bold] a house for whores.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2023 7:53 AM

The Kardashians can thank the Gabors for paving the way for vapid, pointless celebrity, bad taste and a string of ex-husbands a mile long at the hands of a pushy stage mother 😏

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2023 8:01 AM

[quote]In the Gabor family since 1968, it first sold again in in 1998 for $440,000.

Sorry, I have to ask, but if it's been in the family since 1968, then who bought it in 1998?

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2023 8:06 AM

Hey, it's turnkey.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2023 8:27 AM

It's certainly not subtle, but I'm sure someone will think it's dahlink.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2023 9:37 AM

[quote]What can you even do with those flagstone floors? Can you sand them, or grind them down to a flat finish?

Not much. You could selectively reduce any especially high points, but they're small stones and shallow, grinding them to an even surface would likely do as much damage as good. As much as the unevenness of the surface, I dislike the dusty mouse brown color. A huge expanse of it isn't very attractive and looks like plowed field more than a luxurious flooring material. I would be tempted to take it out and replace it with large slabs of slate in blacks, or greys, or deep blue-greys. It's definitely not faithful to the detail of the original but to the spirit of the house and time period, and to what was happening in more sophisticated houses of the same time and style.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2023 3:34 PM

R22, property records will tell but I believe it left the Gabor family at that point.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2023 4:23 PM

Zsa Zsa's Palm Springs home after a make over. Kind of plain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2023 4:30 PM

R27 location looks rather green. Are there pockets of Palm Springs with more green than standard?

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2023 4:44 PM

I saw a clip online where Ruby Wax went to Zsa Zsa's house to interview her. Zsa Zsa opened a cupboard in her bedroom where there were a bunch of wigs and she quickly shut it and pretended they were not hers and she did not wear wigs! I think 3.8 million is crazy money for this property but in the last 12 months I have heard of 3 London gays buying PS property. They are worried about the devaluation of the GBP and picked PS for their 'hideaway/bail out of the UK' residence. Might be pure coincidence but I feel it's a sign that PS is no longer a 'mansion for the price of an apartment' type place. When I visited in 2019, the crowd was a lot younger and hipper that I expected.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2023 5:00 PM

@r27, I actually like Zsa Zsa's Palm Springs home better. Casual contemporary is a style better suited for the location

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2023 5:38 PM

The kitchen looks like something Tre Giudice might have designed.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2023 6:09 PM

I love the peacock wallpaper, it's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2023 7:17 PM

It looks like a pink mobile home with a really nice pool.

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2023 7:23 PM

Zsa Zsa's former home is modest and pretty if you like a plain canvas. I don't think the new owners did much to improve it really, but I would like seeing what I might make of it.

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2023 7:50 PM

[quote] 3 London gays buying PS property.

Did they bother to check out how hot it gets in the summer? I lived there for seven years and got tired of the increasing number of 115-122 degree days

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2023 7:56 PM

The house itself is beautiful in a beautiful setting. The interior decor is Hungarian trash...born on the wrong side of the Danube. I'd keep some of the pieces...that green, geometrically patterned sofa, the round table with the black chairs with the frilly pillows on them, the chandeliers, and her portrait.

Needs a coat of paint everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2023 8:13 PM

R35, You must be a poor PS native. The wealthy ones have sommer homes at either the seaside or the mountains.

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2023 10:39 AM

Do people end up with dead snakes in their pools all the time? It seems like those homes are incredibly close to a lot of creepy crawlies and slithereens.

by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2023 4:43 AM

Sorry, I love it. Well most of it, don’t like the master bedroom at all, but the rest of the house , all pink and b/w stripes and gold and veined mirrors. 70s Hollywood Regency.

by Anonymousreply 39February 6, 2023 10:00 PM

It’s cash sale only. Who has $3.8 million in their pocket ready to blow for this shithole, seriously? Even Elon took out loans to buy Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2023 12:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!