Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Skipped Showers, Paper Plates: An Arizona Suburb’s Water Is Cut Off

RIO VERDE, Ariz. — Joe McCue thought he had found a desert paradise when he bought one of the new stucco houses sprouting in the granite foothills of Rio Verde, Ariz. There were good schools, mountain views and cactus-spangled hiking trails out the back door.

Then the water got cut off.

Earlier this month, the community’s longtime water supplier, the neighboring city of Scottsdale, turned off the tap for Rio Verde Foothills, blaming a grinding drought that is threatening the future of the West. Scottsdale said it had to focus on conserving water for its own residents, and could no longer sell water to roughly 500 to 700 homes — or around 1,000 people. That meant the unincorporated swath of $500,000 stucco houses, mansions and horse ranches outside Scottsdale’s borders would have to fend for itself and buy water from other suppliers — if homeowners could find them, and afford to pay much higher prices.

nyTimes

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2023 2:28 AM

Oh well.

It's time people realize that urban sprawl is not sustainable.

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2023 6:07 PM

He paid half a mil to live in the deserted desert?

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2023 6:47 PM

In the West there is just one way to deal with people who want the water all to themselves

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2023 6:51 PM

These swing states like Florida, Arizona and Nevada are going to lose a lot of political power in the next 20 years as climate change renders them uninhabitable.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2023 6:53 PM

A company can just cut off the water!?

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2023 7:06 PM

Welcome to free market capitalism, r5.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2023 7:10 PM

A company didn't cut off the water, the city of Scottsdale did.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2023 7:31 PM

People who move to the desert and expect free flowing water and greenery are deluded.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2023 7:31 PM

Kari Lake is on the case!

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2023 10:04 PM

Kari Lake *is* a case!

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2023 10:10 PM

It's terrible. Before a developer sells homes they must provide a 100 year water supply. Shame on whatever city allowed the homes to be built.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2023 10:10 PM

That's awful. Can't the Federal Gov help them?

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2023 12:14 AM

I've been wondering about this - the sprawl of new houses spreading up north from Peoria (a Phoenix suburb) along the Lake Pleasant Parkway is just amazing. How is there that much water available?

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2023 12:23 AM

Well, OK, so there's Lake Pleasant - but they don't want to empty it all out.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2023 12:24 AM

The effin illegal immigrants are drinking up all the clean water and white people are suffering, yet Joe Biden does nothing.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2023 9:24 AM

Meanwhile, the Saudis are leasing land from the state of Arizona at cut-rate prices, which they then plant with water-intensive alfalfa and hay, harvest and ship back to the Middle East. Why? Because SA has banned the crops for wasting water.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2023 9:30 AM

These people got what they deserved. They thought they were too special to be under the control of any city government while they still availed themselves of a city service. This belongs in the “what did they THINK would happen?” category.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2023 9:37 AM

Christina Metz has a home in Scottsdale. She uses the same amount of water as ten thousand people.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2023 9:40 AM

Sad!

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2023 9:40 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2023 1:49 PM

non paywall link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 13, 2023 1:49 PM

OP didn’t provide a link because why?

by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2023 1:51 PM

R22 non paywall link below for original article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2023 2:02 PM

[quote]Well, OK, so there's Lake Pleasant - but they don't want to empty it all out.

Can't they empty out Kari Lake?

by Anonymousreply 24May 13, 2023 2:05 PM

She’s already empty, r24

by Anonymousreply 25May 13, 2023 2:07 PM

If people living in hot climates want my water they can shovel snow off my car 6 months out of the year.

by Anonymousreply 26May 13, 2023 2:10 PM

The California almond crop is a big problem for the environment. Not only are almond trees highly water intensive, they are heavily sprayed w/pesticides. Millions of honeybees are trucked there each year for pollination, so they are exposed to toxic chemicals and carry those chemicals back into the hive, thus contaminating their wax, honey, etc. No wonder the bees are struggling.

I stopped consuming almonds when I discovered how toxic they are, and their extreme water usage is icing on the cake.

by Anonymousreply 27May 13, 2023 2:14 PM

Don't even think about it because it's not going to happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 13, 2023 2:24 PM

It’s only a matter of time before you start seeing crap like this happen in Palm Springs and the surrounding area. I’m always amazed at the number of gay men willing to move there. I think they’re nuts for wanting to move to a desert, where daily temperatures well over 100 degrees are common all throughout the summer months.

by Anonymousreply 29May 13, 2023 2:26 PM

more today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2023 2:20 AM

non paywall link from above nytimes story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2023 2:21 AM

MeAgain McCain says she has a solution which she will announce next week. The solution came to her in a dream about MyFatherSenatorJohnMcCain, in which he told her how to solve the problem. Stay tuned...

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2023 2:27 AM

If you live in a desert what the hell do you expect? It’s a desert! His, I hate people. We’re so stupid. I hope we’re all eaten by animals.

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2023 2:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!