Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Can’t Get Enough of Pizza

Pizza has to be the greatest thing ever invented. So long as it’s coming from different places, I could eat some seven days a week and never get tired of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 5, 2023 3:05 PM

OP is a.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2023 5:02 PM

I love pizza, but I've been going through a bit of a pizza dead zone where I just don't crave it and having been seeking it out for the past months. I used to have it at least once every few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2023 5:03 PM

Type 2 diabetes anyone?

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2023 5:04 PM

Once every few weeks? You were already in a dead zone at that rate, R2. I need pizza at least once a week.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2023 5:05 PM

[QUOTE] Type 2 diabetes anyone?

Nobody’s getting diabetic off pizza.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2023 5:06 PM

Do they have to hoist you in and out of the house by crane?

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2023 5:12 PM

It's one of the few fattening things I can take or leave. It's just hot bread with stuff on it as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2023 5:17 PM

I haven't had a decent slice of pizza in NY since the Albanians took over all the pizzerias. I miss the days of a thin crust that was soft enough to fold and flop over and yet still be crispy. Now everything is like doughy cardboard.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2023 5:17 PM

I go through phases. I really want it all the time. And then I can’t look at it.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2023 5:17 PM

Hawaiian Pizza!

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2023 5:18 PM

[QUOTE] It's just hot bread with stuff on it as far as I'm concerned.

Omg it’s so much more than that, R7. It’s heaven on a plate. And you can make it in so many ways, with so many different flavors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2023 5:21 PM

Pizza is just food for poor people.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2023 5:22 PM

It's always so heart-warming to see how MUCH other DL'ers care about the weight, diabetic and general health and well-being of other DL'ers on here. You guys are so sweet, I love the camaraderie and encouragement!

🤗🥰

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2023 5:25 PM

Meanwhile the people griping are probably the fattest fucks on here.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2023 5:27 PM

[quote]the fattest fucks on here.

Those fucking cunts!

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2023 5:29 PM

I'm in my 70's and feel the same way. I think I had my first piece when I was about 12. NY pizza is the best with some places being better than others.

In the 60's there was a place in Flushing (can't remember the name) that had the best pizza but only if it was extremely hot. I think they used a cheese that no one else did as it didn't taste quite the same as others. If it was only slightly hot or warm it didn't have the same taste either. There were only 3 counter seats in the place and the rest was standing room. The place was Always filled beyond capacity.

I was at the dentist a few years ago and he said the whole roof of your mouth is burnt. I said I know I had pizza last night and then I laughed. He thought I was crazy.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2023 5:35 PM

I’m so jealous of you New Yorkers with all the pizza joints at your disposal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2023 5:40 PM

Are you a great big fat person?

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2023 5:48 PM

See? Look at r18, being so caring about the weight of another DL'er when I'm sure he/she has so many other important matters to attend to. What a sweet person!

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2023 5:50 PM

I live in rural PA now and we have a Pizza hut, a couple of places that call themselves Pizza places (how can you ruin a pizza) and one place that is owned by an Italian family from NY. That one is okay but the daughter has the hand for it and makes the best pizza.

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2023 5:57 PM

I live in Philly and we have pizza shops on every corner in some neighborhoods. I haven't had a chain pizza in decades, and there are 4 different places in regular rotation plus many more left to try. I probably eat pizza for at least one meal a week but usually two, because there are always leftovers and leftover pizza is delicious. When they order us pizza at work I always text my husband because I don't want to go home and find he's ordered more pizza for dinner. Pizza is life!

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2023 6:04 PM

Philly is a great place for pizza. I’ve had Lorenzo’s and their giant slices on a couple of occasions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2023 6:24 PM

I don't eat it, but damn, OP's pic looks GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2023 6:29 PM

I was craving pizza this whole weekend and I finally gave in last night. I’m very lucky to live in a pizza paradise! There are so many choices where I live in LA. I settled on Prime Pizza and it was excellent! They even make their own sausage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2023 6:30 PM

Lorenzo's is very good, R22!

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2023 6:39 PM

Anyone ever make their own? I'm tempted because I love fresh chopped garlic and fresh basil but many of the places near me don't offer it. I like thin crispy crust too.

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2023 6:47 PM

R26 i’ve toyed with making my own but it seems easy to screw up & too much of a hassle. I’ve made it myself using the Pillsbury pizza dough and it comes out pretty good. But I’d rather a professional do it and I add my own toppings if needed.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2023 6:50 PM

Homemade pizza is cute in a pinch and a fun activity for 6 year olds, but unless you have a pizza oven and make your own dough from scratch it's not something adults should try and expect it to be "as good as" the real stuff made by professionals. I'd rather eat frozen pizza then someone's Pillsbury dough version they made at home.

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2023 6:54 PM

r26 what kind of hell on earth can't you get fresh garlic and basil on pizza? That would inspire me to make my own pizza. I have made it using the refrigerated dough from the supermarket deli counter. I have both a pizza stone and a pizza pan and find that the stone works better for cooking but the pan is great for reheating slices. One local pizzeria sells "make at home kits" which includes sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you like. I guess that's fun for kids but why on earth go to the trouble of making it yourself instead of having them do it.

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2023 6:55 PM

The pizza place I mentioned at r16 will sell the dough they make. It makes such a big pizza that I divide it and freeze it to use to make my own. Ask in your pizza places if they sell just the dough.

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2023 7:11 PM

I love pizza too but Keto...

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2023 7:12 PM

I'm not R26 but fresh garlic and basil are not pizza toppings widely seen so I have no idea what R29 is going on about. Most pizza places worth their salt are including those ingredients in the sauce in relatively small (and probably dried) amounts, but adding fresh and large amounts of them on as stand alone toppings? Not common where I am.

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2023 7:21 PM

I grew up in PA and we had NYC style pizza, I think...it was soooo good but I never find it when I'm home to visit anymore, and no one else seems to make it that way.

It was just very straightforward, thin-ish crust and a great mix of cheese and toppings. Now everything is puffy crust or this or that or the other.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2023 8:13 PM

5 minute pizza dough recipe (no rise, but you do need yeast).

This is on my list to try next time I'm in the mood to do some homemade pizza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2023 8:21 PM

R32 in NY fresh chopped garlic is a standard topping option. Margarita pizza features fresh basil. Any pizzeria worth its salt would have plenty of garlic and basil on hand.

My go to pizza when I have a cold is garlic and roasted red peppers.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2023 8:23 PM

R33, like most good things that come to an end it's all about the $$$$$.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2023 8:24 PM

Chicago pizza is worlds better than anything in New York

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2023 9:26 PM

R37,Ho please. And I love me some Chicago style pizza. But um yeah..NYC is the best. We laid the foundation ho; and is it really pizza if you need a fork and knife.

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2023 9:27 PM

The fuck they aren't R5.

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2023 9:29 PM

Eat Dominoes - it is super delicious, and I own the stock.

by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2023 10:32 PM

R37 I love Chicago style but it should be in a whole nother category than regular pizza. It’s more like a pizza casserole.

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2023 10:39 PM

Pizza is pizza, R41. The fact that it can be so versatile is a part of what makes it special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2023 12:06 AM

OP = Dawn Davenport

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2023 12:09 AM

I hate pizza but when I’m drunk I can’t get enough

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2023 12:13 AM

Hit my favorite place in Bay Ridge, BK today and got a slice. It was phenom. This pizzeria has been around since the 60s and it still totally rocks.

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2023 12:17 AM

New Haven (Connecticut, thin-crust) pizza is supposed to be really good. I watched this documentary a couple of times b/c I found it interesting. BTW, did you know that Henry Winkler got an MFA from Yale? I guess that's how he came to love New Haven style pizza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2023 12:24 AM

[quote]I love pizza too but Keto...

Oh, fuck keto. Just fuck it right in its kale-stuffed pork chop ass. You don't come into a thread called "I Can’t Get Enough of Pizza" and talk about keto.

IOW, r31, fuck keto and fuck you, too.

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2023 12:26 AM

I love paleo keto pizzo.

But I miss it being, you know, baked or heated.

Still, one imagines R47 pounding out those big keys on the Big Finger Extra Large Keyboard and being winded by the time she got to the second "fuck."

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2023 12:29 AM

R47 had a point. I was going to say something similar but held my tongue. 😂

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2023 1:01 AM

I’m with you OP

Absolutely love it🍕

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2023 1:28 AM

Bertuccis has terrific pizza!

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2023 1:31 AM

R47, what in the diatribe crackhead hell. I would cuss yo ass out if not for the comedy of it all.

The Comedy of it al All

The comedy of it all

The comedy of it all...

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2023 1:34 AM

R38 you’ll find that the foundation for pizza was laid in Napoli, not NYC.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2023 2:09 AM

Don Antonio’s on 50TH St. in HK and Grimaldi’s on Front St. in Bklyn are two of the best pizzas I’ve ever eaten, including Rome and Naples. Don Antonio’s is Neapolitan style, the dough is stretched then fried, toppings are added then it’s baked. OMG it’s sublime. The Pizza del Re is the best.

John’s Pizzeria on Bleeker in the WVill is pretty spectacular, too.

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2023 2:31 AM

Y'all just reminded me of this pizza at Bleecker Street Pizza that I used to eat all the time when I worked over there, a white cheese one, jesus it was the greatest shit on earth. Since my office moved to a new neighborhood a decade ago I haven't been back. I need to get over there this week.

There's also this place in the 20s or 30s that my partner and I used to go every so often, I need to ask him the name. They had the crispiest pepperoni. DELICIOUS. Great now I'm starving

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2023 2:41 AM

I should add, none of those places sells by the slice. Just as it should be. Serious pizza connoisseurs only. Tends to keep the riffraff, teens, and tourists at bay because they’re lazy and unserious. By the slice isn’t worthwhile for any serious pizza establishment.

I will get a street slice from other places in the city when I’m in a hurry. Joe’s, also WVill, is the best by the slice old-style NY pizza.

R54

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2023 2:44 AM

I used to eat Lean Cuisine French Bread pizza until it got too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2023 2:50 AM

I have to admit that super-thin crust pizza with a small scattering of toppings does not appeal to me. I'd rather not fold a slice of pizza before eating it. (Seems like you have to fold it to get a decent bite - enough crust and enough toppings.)

The pizza at R24 does not look appetizing. The crust looks thicker than a "thin crust." The toppings, except for tomato sauce, look almost non-existent.

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2023 2:52 AM

Order Fresh Brothers in LA. Best. Pizza. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 59January 17, 2023 2:56 AM

Pizza ho here . So much so that i like leftover pizza cold in the morning for breakfast w/ red pepper flakes all over it.

by Anonymousreply 60January 17, 2023 2:58 AM

[quote]John’s Pizzeria on Bleeker in the WVill is pretty spectacular, too.

I've only been once, but I concur. And it's not too expensive for what you get.

by Anonymousreply 61January 17, 2023 3:06 AM

Are you high OP? Everything tastes better after a few joints.

by Anonymousreply 62January 17, 2023 3:06 AM

////

by Anonymousreply 63January 17, 2023 3:12 AM

In NY one doesn’t order a “cheese pizza.” It is redundant. You order a pie by size (small, large) and then if you want any toppings you tell them what to put on your pie.

by Anonymousreply 64January 17, 2023 3:23 AM

I make my own pizzas every other week or so. I have it for a couple of days. I am reading this high as hell and have decided, emphatically, that I am having pizza for dinner tomorrow. if I had made crust today I would be toasting the OP with a slice right now.

by Anonymousreply 65January 17, 2023 3:45 AM

is home made pizza better than store made pizza?

by Anonymousreply 66January 17, 2023 3:52 AM

yes!

by Anonymousreply 67January 17, 2023 4:01 AM

Margherita pizza 🤤

by Anonymousreply 68January 17, 2023 4:06 AM

Agree I’m never sick of pizza. Or ice cream

by Anonymousreply 69January 17, 2023 4:12 AM

Jamie's homemade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2023 4:23 AM

R58 check out the pizza photos in the link and tell me what you think.

by Anonymousreply 71January 17, 2023 4:38 AM

For those of you that like making pizza at home check out the pizza sub Reddit. It’s very informative!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2023 4:43 AM

I've found it pretty difficult to make a good NY pizza at home. I think you need an oven that goes up to at least 600 degrees. The best I could do was with bromated flour that I had to order online and letting the dough rest in the fridge for 3 days. They have those Ooni pizza ovens now which would probably work. Detroit style pizza, however is easily homemade. Though I've never actually been to Detroit. The recipe I use is below at Reply #204. I see Paul Newman brand is releasing a frozen Neapolitan pizza. I've always wondered if that could be done. Frozen pizzas always seem to be either cracker crust or a thick doughy gummy mess. Red Baron is the only one I like. I dress it up with oregano and basil from the garden and some parmiggiano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 17, 2023 5:07 AM

R73 here’s a very informative video about how to make Detroit style pizza. There’s many videos out there but go with the people that actually live and work in Detroit pizzerias. Shawn is the real deal. He worked at Cloverleaf Pizza before opening his own place. He also has a website to purchase flour, pans, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2023 5:38 AM

Pizza is basically an open-faced sandwich.

Who doesn't like a sandwich?

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2023 5:46 AM

I made English muffin pizzas. I’m channeling my inner fat kid!

by Anonymousreply 76January 17, 2023 6:48 AM

Quinoa bread pizza, especially with watercress under the melted cheese is yummy, all pizza is good though

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2023 7:53 AM

R59: I've ordered from a Fresh Brothers near me, in the San Fernando Valley. It's definitely better than Dominhoes or Pizza Slut, but is that really saying anything?? It's okay.

D'Amores, in Tarzana, is best pizza in the west Valley. Tomato sauce doesn't agree with me any more, and their Pizza Bianco is the shit! (olive oil, garlic, grilled spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, grilled peppers -- I add sausage)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 17, 2023 7:55 AM

When I order from Figs in Boston, I love white clam pizza and also the pizza with prosciutto, fig preserves, and arugula.

But I also love a good pepperoni pizza from any old "House of Pizza."

Another good pizza to try: breaded eggplant, black olives, and sausage.

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2023 2:02 PM

R71, the pizzas in the photos at R24 don't look super-appetizing to me. I like pepperoni pizza, so the photos with pepperoni look good b/c of that.

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2023 3:27 PM

R58 I forgot to include the link, sorry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2023 4:03 PM

Pizza is like sex. Even if it’s bad, it’s still pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2023 6:18 PM

I could really use a slice right about now.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2023 8:39 PM

thank goodness for this thread, I would have forgotten to make dough on my lunch break and would have been PISSED at dinner time. I am going to go do dishes and make pizza. red sauce, parm, provolone and mozzarella with hot sausage, hot peppers from my garden, pineapple and a bit of pepperoni. sauce with herbs from my garden, I unfortunately don't have enough fresh tomatoes on the vine so starting with canned tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2023 9:03 PM

R59 i’ve heard of Fresh Brothers but never tried it. Is it really that good? What kind do you recommend?

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2023 11:05 PM

[quote]Pizza is basically an open-faced sandwich.

Pizza is not a sandwich of any kind. Put the drugs away, you've taken too many.

Pizza is a flatbread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 18, 2023 3:54 PM

What’s your favorite kind of frozen pizza?

by Anonymousreply 87January 18, 2023 7:05 PM

I can’t remember the last time I had frozen pizza. I love going out and bringing it home hot in a box.

by Anonymousreply 88January 18, 2023 7:34 PM

R59 I ordered Fresh Brothers for the first time a few nights ago. The pizza was pretty good. What I really enjoyed was their lemon pepper wings! They were really tasty! This place will definitely be in my pizza rotation!

by Anonymousreply 89January 26, 2023 6:13 PM

Been fantasizing about pizza nonstop for days now. I think I need help.

by Anonymousreply 90March 14, 2023 12:54 AM

There are two things LA still can't do, food wise.

Pizza.

Bagels.

Otherwise, LA is a food delight. But they just can't get those two right.

by Anonymousreply 91March 14, 2023 1:00 AM

Very true R91 - but why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 14, 2023 1:09 AM

It’s the water r91

by Anonymousreply 93March 14, 2023 1:09 AM

REJOICE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 14, 2023 1:09 AM

I'm from New Jersey. Best pizza in the world, aside from NYC.

I moved to LA some years ago, and the pizza SUCKED. There was no good pizza here. Damianos on Fairfax was passable. But not great.

Finally, a place called Joe's opened up. NJ style pizza. It's the only place I can stand here. Garage Pizza in Los Feliz was ok for a while, but it's done way downhill.

by Anonymousreply 95March 14, 2023 1:12 AM

All the great sunny weather in the world can’t make up for a lack of good pizza joints. I’d rather be dead than not have decent pizza.

by Anonymousreply 96March 14, 2023 1:21 AM

[quote]white clam pizza

rubbing one out as I type

by Anonymousreply 97March 14, 2023 1:38 AM

[quote] I Can’t Get Enough of Pizza

We know, Roxane.

by Anonymousreply 98March 14, 2023 1:40 AM

R95 I second that.

by Anonymousreply 99March 14, 2023 1:47 AM

I totally agree. I could eat it every day. Simple really. Bread. Cheese, Olive oil. Or tomato sauce. Veggies or meat. Clean eating!

by Anonymousreply 100March 14, 2023 2:07 AM

r32, dried basil is hell on earth.

by Anonymousreply 101March 14, 2023 2:21 AM

Can lick the oil stains left in the pizza boxes?

by Anonymousreply 102March 14, 2023 3:07 AM

Making your own dough really isn’t that hard: flour, yeast, water, salt. I add a bit of wheat gluten to bread flour to make it extra stretchy.

It takes a couple of hours, but most of that is just waiting whilst doing other things.

by Anonymousreply 103March 14, 2023 3:23 AM

R103- TWO HOURS!

That IS a lot of work.

by Anonymousreply 104March 14, 2023 3:25 AM

Come to Chicago r8. They still do a good thin crust at many places.

by Anonymousreply 105March 14, 2023 4:13 AM

Chicago pizza is far superior to anything you can get in NY. We are also known for our thin crust too, not just deep dish.

by Anonymousreply 106March 14, 2023 4:16 AM

I don’t know about all that, R106. Chicago has great pizza, though.

by Anonymousreply 107March 14, 2023 3:59 PM

R105 don’t they call that Tavern pizza?

by Anonymousreply 108March 17, 2023 8:07 PM

I make pizza every Friday night.

by Anonymousreply 109March 17, 2023 8:10 PM

I buy pizza every Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 110March 17, 2023 9:27 PM

!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 18, 2023 2:53 AM

A New York pizza shop offering $1 slices just upped the price to $1.50. Still a great bargain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 21, 2023 11:36 AM

Did anyone try r34's recipe? How did it come out?

by Anonymousreply 113March 21, 2023 12:13 PM

I've never heard it called that r108. We've always called it thin crust. We do however cut it in squares, not slices. Tavern pizza is the Sysco crap you get in Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 114March 21, 2023 3:57 PM

I’m talking about this kind of pizza R114. Maybe it’s called pub style?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 21, 2023 6:18 PM

Looks like it’s called tavern pizza in the Chicago area, but I think everyone else would just call it thin crust pizza.

by Anonymousreply 116March 21, 2023 7:04 PM

Pizza in the DFW region sucks

by Anonymousreply 117March 21, 2023 7:33 PM

I just had pizza last night and all I want is more pizza!

by Anonymousreply 118April 5, 2023 1:44 PM

I will order a pizza once a week, on a night I don't feel like going out or cooking at home. If it's just me, I will have half, and the rest the next day reheated for lunch.

Pizzas here are not huge, usually about 14', and they are about good ingredients with a lighter touch that the oil-slicked disks layered with loads of cheese and slick with oil that are the staple of American chains.

Crispy thin crust pocketed with air bubbles, good tomato sauce, a handful of mozzarella, basil leaves, and a light drizzling of great olive oil. I add crushed red pepper flakes and have a small side dish of olives. It's a perfect meal. Luckily the best pizza in the city is 3 blocks away from me, more expensive but both light and filling and excellent every time.

by Anonymousreply 119April 5, 2023 2:05 PM

Today is National Deep Dish Pizza Day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 5, 2023 3:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!