Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shirley Hughes, the mother of one of the victims, Tony Hughes, is not happy with Evan Peters winning the Golden Globe

“Evan should have used his acceptance speech to mention the families who are still suffering from Dahmer’s crimes, or to say Hollywood should put an end to telling stories about killers and glorifying them.”

“There’s a lot of sick people around the world, and people winning acting roles from playing killers keeps the obsession going and this makes sick people thrive on the fame,”

“It’s a shame that people can take our tragedy and make money. The victims never saw a cent. We go through these emotions every day,”

Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2023 4:55 PM

Thoughts? It was over 30 years ago. A Jack in the Box in Seattle served that horse yearsss ago.

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2023 10:07 AM

R1 so if your child was murdered 30 years ago, and someone in Hollywood decides to make a show that borderline glorifies the murderer who killed your son 30 years later you aren’t gonna be upset? You’re gonna shrug it off and say “it was 30 years ago, who cares?”

Doubtful. Losing family is hard, yet alone losing a child. I’m sure that’s very hard. And losing them because they were murdered makes it all harder.

You don’t just “get over” that.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2023 10:15 AM

I love Evan Peters but won't be watching this. She's right. Last time I checked out Netflix documentaries, most of them concerned murderers.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2023 10:16 AM

Though she may want the attention, many greiving families DON”T want the attention foisted on them and to stay in the background, or with the Qnons think that they might be attacked, ‘that the entire thing was being staged by the government”

Sandy Hook is a great example. Then I can imagine Evan Boeing sued for the ensuing actions of a Q loon.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2023 10:17 AM

I have every sympathy with the mother of one of his victims. Few of us will understand her pain.

The film and TV industry monetises murder and then they circle jerk actors performances.

It's right that they get called out periodically by victims of these terrible crimes.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2023 10:20 AM

She has a point.

I stopped watching movies and series ("entertainments") about serial killers years ago because of what she discussed. Fictional or non-fictional killers. After awhile none of them were entertaining or fascinating to me. They are product.

I might watch documentaries occasionally. But of course they are all "product" too, and mostly not filled with new insights. But I haven't written them off completely.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2023 10:21 AM

Look at me.

Look at me!

LOOK at me!

LOOK at ME!

LOOK! AT! ME!

LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2023 10:22 AM

It's human nature to be drawn to the macabre and the sinister.

Look at the popular pamphlets that circulated in English during the Renaissance. A lot of them involved tales of true crime (including child murder). Grisly stuff.

Pamphlets, Netflix ... same stories, different medium. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2023 10:27 AM

She isn’t trying to get attention. What she said is true. And r7/r4, she didn’t ask for this attention, it was brought to her (and all of the families of the victims) when the series was released and the world became obsessed with this case all over again, searching for the real footage, real documents and the real families of the victims. The victims families even admitted they weren’t even asked or told about this show. It was thrown on them. All of this probably brought back all those old feelings, as if they were reliving it.

You’re honestly one of the most despicable “humans” I’ve ever seen. It’s quite disgusting

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2023 10:27 AM

[quote]“It’s a shame that people can take our tragedy and make money. The victims never saw a cent."

In other words, cut me a check and all is forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2023 10:28 AM

[quote]She isn’t trying to get attention.

True.

She's looking for a pay day.

[quote]The victims never saw a cent.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2023 10:30 AM

My mother refused to watch this series and actually got upset at my sister when she saw her watching it. She told my sister (who was born years after this happened) that it was not entertaining or funny at the time and that Dahmer was a truly sick and evil man who shouldn’t be getting this kind of attention years later, and that she could only imagine what the parents of those victims are feeling with everyone watching their sons murders for entertainment.

My sister still watched, of course lol. But my mother and stepdad won’t.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2023 10:30 AM

r8 should read "circulated in England" (although I suppose "English" works too)

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2023 10:31 AM

Well r11, why should Hollywood make money off of their dead family and them not get a penny?

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2023 10:31 AM

Sweetie, when Dahmer’s father himself took issue with the series and its depiction of his son, you can’t get mad at the victims families for being upset.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2023 10:34 AM

The case is part of history. Period. The story should be told as a warning. It also keeps the victims alive in the minds of the public.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2023 10:36 AM

[quote] My mother refused to watch this series and actually got upset at my sister when she saw her watching it.

Your mother is a loon with no life.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2023 10:36 AM

Of course the virtue-signaling SJWs have to start their shit again.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2023 10:37 AM

R17 actually her refusing to watch a glamorized version of Dahmer’s murders is the opposite of having “no life”. You, however, don’t have one. You’ve been posting on here since early yesterday.

With that said, you never told me what city you’re in. You claimed the CCA were an hour behind where you are despite it being live all over the country. Where are you????

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2023 10:45 AM

there was nothing glamorous about the show.

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2023 10:52 AM

Exactly.

It's not like Peters wore a jeweled tiara when he offed his victims.

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2023 12:14 PM

I'm sure if Shirley Hughes had gotten a nice fat check from the producers on that movie she'd be singing its praises right now.

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2023 12:17 PM

It's wasn't exactly a musical, Shirley. I'd say "eat me" but that might also be triggering.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2023 12:21 PM

The word glamorize is subjective and meaningless. To use it is a choice. To be offended by this is a choice.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2023 12:39 PM

Dan Savage was friends with Tony Hughes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2023 12:46 PM

Integrity Toys made an Evan as Kyle Spencer doll. Maybe they should remake it as Jeffrey Dahmer. What kind of accessories should they include?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2023 12:59 PM

I wonder if Jeffrey ever had a real finger sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2023 1:01 PM

No more of this please. I know this is DL but taking the piss out of a murder victims family’s heartache is nauseating. She has every right. What happened to her child has destroyed her life. Am English and can remember The Moors murders. Two of the mothers of victims spoke of their pain. It never ever left them, not for a moment the rest of their lives. All Keith Bennett’s mother asked for the rest of her life was to know where her boy was buried. She died never knowing. Heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2023 1:16 PM

[quote]Am English and can remember The Moors murders.

Please. Myra Hindley would be a bigger DL icon than Patsy Ramsey if more people knew about her.

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2023 1:29 PM

Thoughts - I find Evan Peters very sexy but not sure exactly why. Not my usual “type.”

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2023 1:43 PM

I didn't watch the Netflix series because 1) I don't like crime dramas generally, and especially those based on a true story that directly impacted me; 2) when you lived through it and (not trying to be overly dramatic here, but...) you don't need to be reminded of it. So I feel some sympathy for Mrs. Hughes. That said, the story isn't just hers and hers alone to control.

Of course Hollywood is going to make movies about events like this, and when a well-done version wins an award, it deserves the credit. If that story-telling reveals some uncomfortable truths about the perpetrator's and victims' families, that is not the story-tellers' fault. From reading the linked article, they didn't say that Murphy made up the parts about them; what they seemed to be more disturbed with is that they were given neither deference nor credit (and because everything in America comes down to money, payment).

Bottom line, if the complaint is that reliving the incidents causes you pain, publicly complaining about the actor who portrayed the serial killer when he wins an award is rather self-defeating.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2023 3:21 PM

Look at me.

Look at me!

LOOK at me!

LOOK at ME!

LOOK! AT! ME!

LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!

— R7

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2023 3:55 PM

[quote] You’re honestly one of the most despicable “humans” I’ve ever seen

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2023 3:57 PM

I’m pretty sure even if Shakespeare his came back to life and wrote a story, someone would gripe about it! That doesn’t mean we should stop writing shows and no one should censor creative process any more than they already do.

BTW AS DESPICABLE AS I AM, stopped watching the series after the 1st episode. It was disgusting and macabre.

That doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist.

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2023 4:48 PM

R28 exactly. Imagine bitching about a woman being sick and tired of Hollywood banking off of her murdered son. But then again the ONE person doing it on this thread is one of the most uneducated retards to ever be on this site, cheapening the site to a point we’ve lost many of our articulate users.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2023 5:53 PM

I know a woman whose son was murdered in Tacoma back in the ‘80s. Someone wrote a book about it and published it in the 2000s. The book included photos of the dead body. The mother went into the bookstores and started tearing the pages out that had the photos of her son’s dead body.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2023 6:08 PM

R29

Oh, god. Myra Hindley. More people should know about that woman. Talk about the devil's spawn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2023 10:35 PM

the same was said of "Monster" - which tried to portray the killer as empathetic and killing defensively.

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2023 10:41 PM

^ of course, in that case, some of the families had their homes vandalized and faced other harassment with the revival of the story.

and likewise with this frau bait, we've seen an increased stigmatization of gay men as a result. . . along with other gay related true crime shit. Let's not get into the predominate creators and consumers of yaoi and shotacon, which gets attributed as predominate gay interest. . because of said popularity.

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2023 10:45 PM

but it's kind of like everything else...

I mean, we fought for gay actors to not be typecasted into only being able to play gay roles while now it's "progressive" that all gay roles only be played by gay actors.

go figure.,

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2023 10:46 PM

R14

Because they don't own the rights to the story.

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2023 10:58 PM

First Darren Criss, now this guy. Do they just automatically hand awards to aging twinks who play serial killers? Enough already

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2023 11:00 PM

R40, no one is giving straight romantic leads to gay actors....so why should straight guys get gay roles? Fair is fair

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2023 11:01 PM

You know if I were an actor I'd want all roles open to me. Why should my chances be cut down because of my personal preferences? I'd want my personal life private, it's not anyone's business but my own what I do off stage or camera. Fuck these so called progressives making backward ideas for me and others like me.

by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2023 11:03 PM

The issue with gay men playing straight is it’s hardly ever believable. And you know that’s true. NPH is one of the few who can pull it off. Most of them look like gay men trying to act straight.

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2023 11:04 PM

R44, instead of blaming "progressives" maybe blame homophobic Republicans who won't accept gay actors in straight roles. Like r45

by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2023 11:05 PM

R44 is one of those Republicans who think gays should be "private" (hide who they are) while straights should glorify their relationships and children

by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2023 11:06 PM

R45, why do you think it's not "believable" for gays to play straight, but believable for straight actors to play gay?

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2023 11:07 PM

I'm not saying they should hide who they are but getting a job in acting is not easy and cutting role availability down is not helping. A good actor can certainly act straight or gay no matter who they really are. Many many actors and actresses play unbelievable personas for the part. Give them the chance. It's a craft.

I didn't know Rock Hudson was gay till I was told (back when).

On the other hand I thought John Ritter WAS gay. He was married with kids.

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2023 11:10 PM

Acting is just that, acting. People need to stop telling actors what roles they can ACT in.

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2023 11:12 PM

R50, people like you need to stop lecturing us about our OPINIONS.

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2023 11:18 PM

Evan Peters is an untalented hacktor who only got where he is by blowing Ryan Murphy, anyway. Ditto Darren Criss.

by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2023 11:20 PM

R52: It pays off.

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2023 2:43 PM

The documentary is exploitative. I was forced to watch half the season.

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2023 2:50 PM

[quote] I love Evan Peters but won't be watching this. She's right. Last time I checked out Netflix documentaries, most of them concerned murderers.

American audiences love true crime content.

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2023 2:55 PM

[quote]I’m pretty sure even if Shakespeare his came back to life and wrote a story, someone would gripe about it!

A cis-white male. You bet, especially at the liberal arts colleges which are eliminating the teaching of Shakespeare as too old and white in favor of more "contemporary" offerings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2023 4:07 PM

Yale says " Too white."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2023 4:11 PM

[quote] make a show that borderline glorifies the murderer

Did we watch the same show?

You need to seek help if you think there was anything glamorous about the depiction of Dahmer.

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2023 4:16 PM

I think R31 said it well. I don't think dramatizing a true crime is exactly proper or ethical, myself. I would suggest that it's better to take such a story and fictionalize it (in the long tradition of movies like "Rope"); the actual victims' and families' suffering shouldn't be dramatized for entertainment. I say "would suggest" because you then quickly realize that there have been more than enough serial-killer and horror stories in the world.

Yet I agree that the form Shirley Hughes' complaint took doesn't sit right. (1) Blaming the actor for his failings in an award-acceptance speech and (2) bringing the expectation of receiving money into it are not a good look. She has every right to complain, and loudly, about the use of her son's and the other victims' horrible deaths as entertainment, but the implication that being paid for it would help cheapens the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2023 4:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!