Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cate Blanchett doesn’t need a third Oscar. Give the Oscar to Michelle Yeoh.

It doesn’t seem right that EEAAO may win Best Picture and Best Director but not Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 85April 6, 2023 6:05 PM

ENOUGH! There should be a limit on the amount of Oscars these people can win. Give others an opportunity. Selfish FUCKS. Even Alec Baldwin--of ALL people-- pulled out of the Emmy nominations so that others could have a chance.

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2023 10:13 AM

r1 = the ghost of Bette Davis

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2023 10:19 AM

LMAO, this is fucking hilarious. Asians are the most vocal group against affirmative action, yet they want an inferior actress to win just because she’s Asian.

Cate Blanchett will deservedly win Best Actress. The kid from The Goonies will deservedly win Best Supporting Actor. Be grateful.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2023 10:32 AM

R3 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2023 10:37 AM

But Cate said competition is patriarchal and can't we all win. Based on that aline, she deserves to lose.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2023 10:42 AM

EEAAO is a ridiculous movie.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2023 10:44 AM

When Cate wins she should make a big show of giving it to Michelle. I’d make her crawl to the stage in her hands and knees, but Cate seems generous enough to make the 10-minute walk to the bleacher seats to hand Michelle her dubious honor.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2023 10:57 AM

Bullshit, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2023 11:14 AM

[quote]LMAO, this is fucking hilarious. Asians are the most vocal group against affirmative action, yet they want an inferior actress to win just because she’s Asian.

Seems to me that it's the white people who want the Asian to win.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2023 1:02 PM

Cate gave one of the worst American accented performances of all time. She basically did what the “Patches” episode of Difficult People mocked, where Australian actresses come down so hard on their Rs when playing Americans that they sound like retarded people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2023 1:08 PM

Michelle Yeoh is great in EEAAO, but Cate Blanchett's performance in Tar is instantly legendary and iconic. It will not be denied.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2023 2:45 PM

Blanchett is a bit young to be given a third.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2023 2:48 PM

"Need" is irrelevant to whether she produced the best acting performance, just as Yeoh's race should be irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2023 3:03 PM

I like her. She used to live near me in Brighton. Bumped into her in the deli a few times.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2023 3:08 PM

R3, 69 percent of Asian Americans support affirmative action. And 59 percent of Chinese Americans support affirmative action - the lowest of any group but still a clear majority. The “vocal minority” is less than two thirds of all Asian Americans in the U.S., most of whom do not have their views headlining newspapers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2023 3:13 PM

There are some actors who do say that when you win an Emmy or Oscar multiple times you should take yourself out of the running to give other actors a chance

But then there are other actors who say "Look at someone like Venus Williams, should she drop out of Wimbledon after she wins the event a number of times?"

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2023 3:16 PM

Cate Blanchett did say it is unfair to only have one winner, when it should be all of us up her on the stage. She even suggested that have a group award where all the nominees won

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2023 3:18 PM

How is the Tar performance good? I can't even drag myself to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2023 3:22 PM

I know one person who worked with Cate and another who interviewed her, and both rave about her.

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2023 3:28 PM

R14, what is she like in rl? Most industry people say how nice she is but she always comes off so pompous ans phoney in interviews

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2023 5:38 PM

Viewership will be up form last year thanks to Will Smith. People will tune in to see if there is another train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2023 5:47 PM

I want Michelle Yeoh to win personally, but you can't say Care doesn't deserve it. She was fantastic in Tar.

But yes if Michelle Yeoh doesn't win this year she will likely never win a best actress Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2023 5:50 PM

I just wish one of the two films had come out last year, when the competition for Best Actress was so weak...Either Cate or Michelle would have won easily, leaving this year for the other.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2023 5:58 PM

Hi R20

She was lovely. She had a nice house just behind where I lived and we had a little deli opposite. This was the early naughties. The area was quiet and I used to see her out and about a fair bit.

I went into the deli for something and she was in there. It was very much a 'hi there neighbour, hope you'll be happy in the neighborhood' kind of conversation. She was very warm and talkative and natural. No airs and graces. Just very nice. I'd see her out on the streets a fair bit and we'd say hi, how are you kind of conversation.

Brighton, being on the coast has quite a few celebrities living locally, so it's not uncommon to see one or two regularly. I was in the greengrocers one day and Paul McCartney walked in. He was dating Heather Mills, who lived in the next street to me in Hove. I'd see Steve Coogan a fair bit too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2023 6:46 PM

Perhaps being so openly contemptuous of awards shows will lose her some Oscar votes. Who knows.

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2023 6:48 PM

Oh, for fuck's sake, saying "it's unfair to only have one winner" is something actors say all the time when they win an award. It's not contemptuous of awards shows, it's just employing a tired cliché to be gracious to the other nominees who lost.

Blanchett is not going to lose a single vote over it.

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2023 6:59 PM

They would rather reward a white actress who’s already won 2 Oscars a 3rd Oscar than an overdue Asian actress. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2023 7:02 PM

How is Michelle Yeoh overdue? This is her first time giving an award-worthy performance.

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2023 7:04 PM

She took it a step further than that R26.

“I would love it if we would just change this whole fucking structure. It’s like, what is this patriarchal pyramid where someone stands up here? Why don't we just say there was a whole raft of female performances that are in concert and in dialogue with one another? And stop the televised horse race of it all.”

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2023 7:05 PM

[quote]Asians are the most vocal group against affirmative action

I hate how I'm being grouped as if we all have the same hive mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2023 7:07 PM

Even when the statement that Asians are the most vocal group against affirmative action has been proven false. White Republicans own that title.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2023 7:28 PM

What cate blandchette said made no sense

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2023 8:27 PM

They’re not giving a third Oscar to Cate Blanchett after #OscarsSoWhite. The Academy is all-in on Affirmative Action now.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2023 12:51 AM

>>Why don't we just say there was a whole raft of female performances that are in concert and in dialogue with one another?

Sounds like Blanchett is ready for an appearance on a Markle podcast.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2023 10:29 AM

Meryl had to wait 29 years for her third win after SC

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2023 12:27 PM

Daniel Day-Lewis only had to wait four years to earn his third Oscar, and Frances McDormand only three.

Katharine Hepburn won her second and her third Oscars in consecutive ceremonies.

There's no waiting period for an actor to earn a third Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2023 12:39 PM

Funny R36 mentions DDL…

Because he won his Oscar for Lincoln the previous year, DDL presented Cate Blanchett her Oscar win she won for Blue Jasmine. I’ll never forget her laughably bad speech, in which she said receiving her award from DDL “only exacerbates the honor.”

Love her, hope she wins for Tár, but the bitch can’t give a speech to save her life.

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2023 12:45 PM

Why does she always bring up Julia Roberts in her speeches? Didn’t she also mention Julia when she won for Blue Jasmine?

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2023 1:01 PM

Cate's speech for diversity will play well with the Hollywood crowd, who react better to a white woman who is outspoken about diversity, instead of an actual minority.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2023 1:30 PM

Michelle Yeoh was exquisite in. Crouching Tiger. She's been award worthy before..

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2023 1:30 AM

Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Cheung, and Anita Mui all should've taken home awards for "The Heroic Trio."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2023 2:07 AM

R39,.since when does Cate about diversity though? She has never said anything of this sort and suddenly she is woke? I hope the voters see this for what it is

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2023 8:36 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2023 4:48 PM

If Michelle Yeoh wins, Baroness Jamie will hog the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2023 5:07 PM

R33. Really?

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2023 5:23 PM

[quote]Meryl had to wait 29 years for her third win after SC

LOL... good things come to those who wait.

Pfffft!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2023 7:00 PM

There is a viral video story of CB frozen still during an interview. The German actress kept going on and on about her role in that stupid movie and cate looked pissed that lady was stealing the spotlight

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2023 8:51 PM

Yet, you can't provide a link of alleged video, while there are many videos of Cate and Nina Hoss ("German actress") doing pleasant and relaxed interviews together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2023 9:06 PM

What is so odd about this clip? When does the unusual part happen?

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2023 11:48 PM

Cate Blanchett is not used to someone having a greater opinion than her. She seems so far up her own arse. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 50January 24, 2023 11:53 PM

R48 what's the fun in doing that??

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2023 1:08 AM

Having just seen this thing, I completely agree with R6. Interminable.

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2023 10:46 PM

After Andrea Riseborough’s success, OP is launching his own grassroots campaign.

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2023 11:15 PM

R16 who said that?

by Anonymousreply 54February 14, 2023 8:09 PM

It's supposed to be awarded for excellence; who ever said it's supposed to go to the performer who "needs" it the most?

by Anonymousreply 55February 14, 2023 9:30 PM

It would be the greatest injustice in the history of the Academy Awards if Cate loses this Oscar race to Michelle Yeoh or any of the others

by Anonymousreply 56March 7, 2023 5:10 PM

r55 the rich should pay more in taxes, success should be penalized, share the wealth, the awards, underwear.

by Anonymousreply 57March 7, 2023 5:13 PM

The honor is being nominated. The payoff is winning.

by Anonymousreply 58March 7, 2023 5:51 PM

In a tribute to affirmative action, in which race matters more than talent, Michelle Yeoh should win.

by Anonymousreply 59March 7, 2023 7:09 PM

R58= Miss Blanchett

by Anonymousreply 60March 7, 2023 7:19 PM

No, R58, David Letterman (and thousands upon thousands of others over the last 90-odd years.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 7, 2023 7:26 PM

Michelle is thirsty for that Oscar. Girl is wildin on her IG

by Anonymousreply 62March 7, 2023 11:16 PM

Hollywood Reporter was at pains to call Michelle Yeoh “the first person who identifies as Asian to ever be nominated for the award”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 8, 2023 1:28 AM

Since OP is Jamie Lee Curtis, I must ask - what's going on....down there.

by Anonymousreply 64March 8, 2023 1:47 AM

If I hear one more friggin time...

"I'm finally getting to tell my story."

"I never saw anybody on TV who looked like me."

Enough!!

by Anonymousreply 65March 8, 2023 6:15 AM

The Academy Awards are a highly anticipated event in the film industry, and they recognize outstanding achievements in various categories, including acting, directing, and Best Picture. While many talented actors and actresses have been recognized with multiple Oscars over the years, there is no rule that states that an individual cannot win more than three.

As for the specific actresses mentioned, both Cate Blanchett and Michelle Yeoh are accomplished performers with impressive careers. While Cate Blanchett has won two Oscars, it is ultimately up to the Academy to decide who they feel deserves the award in any given year. Similarly, while Michelle Yeoh's performance in "EEAAO" may be deserving of recognition, there are many factors that go into the Academy's decision-making process, and it is impossible to predict the outcome with certainty. Ultimately, the Oscars are a celebration of the film industry as a whole, and while individual performances and films may stand out, they are part of a larger collective effort to bring compelling stories to the screen.

by Anonymousreply 66March 8, 2023 7:17 AM

R63. Well, white passing was an unfortunate fact of the time.

Anybody see the film Passing? That was good.

by Anonymousreply 67March 8, 2023 7:21 AM

Comic Relief: Cate dances

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 8, 2023 12:12 PM

If you cannot win an award in competition with eligible contenders, you don't deserve to win.

There should not be a limit on how many Oscars someone can win - most ridiculous suggestion, EVAH.

It's ostensible purpose is to recognize excellence. Now, whether it achieves it due to whatever blah, blah, blah, patriarchy, blah, racism, blah, bias, blah is a separate issue. If you start to restrict eligibility, you may as well just get rid of the award and call it the People's Choice Awards and move on.

If you want to debate what constitutes "excellence" in film, that is a separate issue from attempting to recognize it under the currently accepted standards.

by Anonymousreply 69March 8, 2023 12:27 PM

^ Billy Flynn

by Anonymousreply 70March 8, 2023 2:06 PM

I think the issue is the dumb phrase "identifies as Asian", r67.

"white passing" = do you mean "identifies as white"?

by Anonymousreply 71March 8, 2023 2:33 PM

Identifies as Asian? Wtf does that mean. Someone is cosplaying as Asian a la Rachel Dolezal?

by Anonymousreply 72March 8, 2023 3:05 PM

^ that’s actually a real existential problem for biracial/Eurasian kids

Do I identify with my Asian mother? Or my white father?

Therefore: do I identify as ‘Asian’? Or ‘White’?

by Anonymousreply 73March 9, 2023 1:14 AM

R71. No, "white passing" used to (and probably still) means presenting as white due to the protection and convenience it affords. People still identified as minorities (usually black) but when black people were persecuted for being in the wrong part of town, it was convenient for those who could "pass" to do so.

Watch Passing. It's a great representation of that.

Thank you R73. That's exactly my situation. It's not an easy one.

by Anonymousreply 74March 9, 2023 10:30 AM

Asia is a vast and diverse continent, Asian is a geographical denominator. In what way are people born and raised in western countries Asian? You can say you're of Asian background or with roots in whichever country your family are from, of but if you need to "identify as" Asian, it means you are not from Asia.

It's the same as the term "minority". In Asia, Asians are not a minority, just as black people are not a minority in Africa.

Michelle Yeoh gets called "Asian" by others because she is a Malaysian of Chinese background. She herself has said that she's not an Asian minority in Asia. She also lives not in the US but in Switzerland (and has a French partner), a multilingual country where all language groups are equally Swiss and which does not have the same cultural politics as the US regarding so-called "minorities". Furthermore, Asia has its own thriving film industries where almost all actors are Asian. It must therefore be weird for her to be caught up in this fierce debate about being a supposedly Asian minority in the film industry.

by Anonymousreply 75March 9, 2023 12:48 PM

Ruth Negga should have been nominated (and won) for Passing last year. The fact that Ariana DeBose won and Negga wasn’t even nominated is just insane to me.

I also would have nominated Tessa Thompson in lead. A masterful film. And the novel is very, very good.

by Anonymousreply 76March 9, 2023 3:33 PM

What R76 said

by Anonymousreply 77March 9, 2023 3:42 PM

It's astonishing that Blanchett was denied the Oscar for Tar. No other performance has deserved an Oscar more in the last 10 years, than Blanchett in Tar or in Carol.

by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2023 3:39 PM

You're still bitching about that? Get a fucking life.

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2023 4:12 PM

[quote]It's astonishing that Blanchett was denied the Oscar for Tar. No other performance has deserved an Oscar more in the last 10 years, than Blanchett in Tar or in Carol.

Amy Adams in Arrival was a better performance that neither won nor was even nominated. She played the entire thing seriously with this incredible dawning of the truth without ever having to chew any scenery or histrionics.

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2023 4:20 PM

Who stole Amy’s spot that year? Was it Meryl?

by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2023 4:23 PM

Probably Ruth Negga, who didn't get a SAG nomination. As embarrassing as that Streep nomination for Florence Foster Jenkins was, she was probably always pretty safe for a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2023 4:34 PM

[quote]Who stole Amy’s spot that year? Was it Meryl?

Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Streep, Ruth Negga, Natalie Portman, and Emma Stone ALL stole Amy's spot!

by Anonymousreply 83April 6, 2023 4:35 PM

ENOUGH.

by Anonymousreply 84April 6, 2023 4:36 PM

Isabelle Huppert should have won that year.

The Emma Stone performance has not aged well.

by Anonymousreply 85April 6, 2023 6:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!