Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Brilliant But Almost Forgotten Oskar Werner

Done in by alcoholism and remembered by English speaking audiences for Fahrenheit 451, Ship of Fools, Spy Came In From Cold, Jules and Jim. Fell out with Truffaut. Sole brother to Klaus Kinski. Less intense than Klaus and therefore ultimately the better more subtle actor. Let's keep him alive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 20, 2023 6:47 PM

Utterly devoid of sensuality. Ugly, bird-like nostrils.

Looks like a pansy pantywaist.

Discusses periods with Simone Signoret. He may have appeared in a few importance film roles but he didn't increase their importance.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2023 10:01 PM

I wish I were an Oskar Mayer Werner.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2023 10:03 PM

[quote] Sole brother to Klaus Kinski

I don't know what that means, but Max certainly isn't a "Sole brother"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2023 10:08 PM

Liked him in "The Shoes of the Fisherman."

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2023 10:10 PM

[quote] The Brilliant…

Where is that 'brilliance" most apparent?

In what scene? In what film?

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2023 10:12 PM

sole brother? nein

soul brother? nein

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2023 10:14 PM

Are you an actor R5? If not, than the brilliance is lost on you

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2023 10:16 PM

I think my father would disagree R6

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2023 10:18 PM

Yeah, Max hits it out of the ballpark too

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2023 10:19 PM

He was a great actor. A couple of weeks ago when I was home sick I watched Decision Before Dawn - one of the Best Picture nominees 1951. He played a German prisoner in WWII who is recruited as a spy by the Allies, and has to go back into Germany and take huge risks. Not a false note in his performance. So suble, real, and believable. Emotionally profound. I would call him a soulful actor. Klaus Kinski also had a bit in the film, at least I think I recognized him. Anyway, I'm always so impressed by Oskar Werner, and I think he was very handsome, too.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2023 10:26 PM

So this performer was both brilliant and subtle?

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2023 10:26 PM

OP's Godard thread didn't take off. Same off-putting declarative binaries.

OP, we appreciate your desire and willingness to discuss mid century European cinema. But why start with provocative unsustainable critical statements, and weird Sheboygan Conservatory of Purple Pablum Rhetoric ("Let's keep him alive")? This just demotivates the 10 (at most) old DLers who have the references to discuss "forgotten" personalities of the context. For example, why turn it into a competition with Kinski?

Say something nice and invite people into your discussion.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2023 10:26 PM

What caused the falling out???

from IMDB.....

Oskar Werner cut his hair for the final scene to purposely create a continuity error. This was due to his hatred for the director.

According to producer Lewis M. Allen, François Truffaut and Oskar Werner hated each other by the end of filming. For the last two weeks, they didn't speak to one another.

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2023 10:27 PM

[quote] What caused the falling out???

He was an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2023 10:28 PM

[quote] they didn't speak to one another.

There was hardly any dialogue in 'Fahrenheit'. It was positively Pinteresque.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2023 10:30 PM

R11 Performers can be both brilliant and subtle.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2023 10:31 PM

[quote] He played a German prisoner in WWII who is recruited as a spy by the Allies, and has to go back into Germany and take huge risks. Not a false note in his performance. So suble, real, and believable

Excellent performance but more real than you'd think.

In December 1941, Werner was drafted into the Deutsche Wehrmacht.

So many officers had been killed on the Russian front that they needed replacements desperately. And, I was for them the embodiment of the Aryan type. But I am a pacifist. I didn't want any responsibility, so I behaved stupidly. I fell from my horse and made mistakes reading the range finders on the cannon, and finally, they kicked me out of training school.

In 1944, he secretly married actress Elisabeth Kallina , who was half Jewish.

That December, he deserted the Wehrmacht and fled with his wife and daughter to the Wienerwald (Vienna Woods), where they remained in hiding until the end of the war. He would later remember, "The artillery fire was constant for two and a half days. The shells hit all around our little hut and it was shaking like a leaf ... We knew that to go out there would be suicide, but it was better than to have to wait for execution."

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2023 10:31 PM

I fell out with Jules & Jim a few decades ago. I must have watched it 15 times in my youth. I only see Oskar nowadays when I rewatch my beloved Lola Montes. Oskar could put a look in his eyes that fit the period. You don't see it anymore so much on the big screen. A kind of far a way look and some world weariness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2023 10:31 PM

[quote] You don't see it anymore so much

I can't see it either.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2023 10:33 PM

trying again. be patient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2023 10:33 PM

Verboten linken

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2023 10:34 PM

another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2023 10:34 PM

I think he was a fine looking young man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2023 10:35 PM

R20:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2023 10:36 PM

In my twenties I fell hard for a blond from Zurich who looked like Oskar.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2023 10:37 PM

Kubrick sacked him after three weeks shooting in Barry Lyndon.

(Alcohol)

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2023 10:41 PM

Werner was a bizarre choice for "Fahrenheit 451"--they obviously chose him because the main character's last name (Montag) is German and because "Jules et Jim" was such a sensation, but his German accent is nearly impenetrable (especially when he reads aloud the opening paragraph of "David Copperfield"). He's an attractive man, but his accent was much too thick for him to make it in Hollywood.

This film is very much worth seeing, though, for its intelligent direction, its cinematography by Nicholas Roeg and its brilliant score by Bernard Herrmann, and a fine performance in a dual role by Julie Christie, who plays both the young dissident who tries to woo Montag to her cause and as Montag's hilariously empty-headed wife. (She is unexpectedly genuinely moving in the second tole, which was originally supposed to be played by another actress who became unable to play the role at the last minute--the wife is an absolutely awful person, but she's very funny in the part and she also makes you realize how horrible this woman's life is, even though she initially thinks she has everything.)

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2023 10:43 PM

Wait what? He was Klaus Kinski’s “sole brother”?

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2023 10:43 PM

Yes, R28. Mrs Kinski slept around with African-American shipmen visiting Bremen.

But her family refused to accept these mixed-race illegitimate child.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2023 10:50 PM

R27 I thought 'Fahrenheit 451' a rather cold film. But your level-headed review makes me think I should re-view it.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2023 10:53 PM

I had a crush on him after watching 'Ship of Fools' i was maybe eleven years old. He played a doctor with a heart condition. He had an intensity that appealed to me, otherwise I've never been attracted to a blonde guy since.

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2023 10:54 PM

What does he have to do with Klaus Kinski? I don't get it.

[quote]Werner's portrayal of the philosophical Dr. Schumann in the 1965 film Ship of Fools won him the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor and nominations for the Academy Award for Best Actor, the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama, and the BAFTA Award for Best Foreign Actor. His portrayal of Fiedler in The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965) won him the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture and his second BAFTA nomination.

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2023 10:56 PM

[quote] What does he have to do with Klaus Kinski?

They were both Cherman!

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2023 10:58 PM

[quote] Wait what? He was Klaus Kinski’s “sole brother”?

[quote] What does he have to do with Klaus Kinski? I don't get it.

OP meant to say he was Klaus Kinski's "soul brother," but he fucked up on the spelling. (Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic])

Kinski and Werner didn't actually have much in common at all, other than that they were both international male movie stars from the German-speaking world, each most usually associated with a different famous director (Herzog for Kinski, Truffaut for Werner).

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2023 11:01 PM

What part would he have played in Barry Lyndon? He’s very good in Jules and Jim as the third wheel in the love story?

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2023 11:03 PM

But was Oscar Verner a 'sole brother' to Hardy Kruger, Udo Keer and Clows Maria Brandower?

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2023 11:03 PM

Klaus was no father. Ninety-nine percent of the time I was terrified of him. He was so unpredictable that the family lived in constant terror. I would do anything to put him behind bars for life. I am glad he is no longer alive.

by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2023 11:11 PM

I bet this dreary, cheap movie set him into alcoholism.

The poster describes it as 'bitter-sweet' but my dull memory has the story ending in suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2023 11:13 PM

The apex of his career was Columbo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2023 11:33 PM

He was obviously drunk and asleep while appearing in this.

He barely has the strength to raise his eyelids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2023 11:33 PM

[quote] my beloved Lola Montes

Is only available on expensive CD and Blue-Ray.

Ustinov! Walbrook! and Werner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2023 12:02 AM

Colombo was such a piece of ass

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2023 12:02 AM

R42 A piece of ass but a sole bruvva?

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2023 12:05 AM

[quote] The apex of his career was Columbo

No. It was his nadir.

R39, R40 He looks as big-nosed and dissolute as Stephen Fry.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2023 3:07 AM

Prissy.

Very similar to Albert Lieven.

But both had a healthy career in Brit movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2023 8:35 PM

He never went shirtless.

Never butch.

by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2023 8:37 PM

R38 That was a loose remake of Interlude (1957), that starred June Allyson and Rossano Brazzi - directed by Douglas Sirk. Which was itself a loose remake of When Tomorrow Comes (1939) strarring Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2023 12:41 AM

The 1957 version looked as though it was sponsored by the German Tourist Board with lots of gratuitous glorious Technicolor shots of German tourist attractions.

But, as I said above at R38, I thought the 1968 version depressing and dreary (unlike most of the reviewers on IMDB).

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote]Werner was a bizarre choice for "Fahrenheit 451"--they obviously chose him because the main character's last name (Montag) is German and because "Jules et Jim" was such a sensation.

R27 Or maybe it was because Francois Truffaut directed both Jules et Jim, and Fahrenheit 451, and liked working with him?

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2023 4:19 PM

R49, see R13.

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2023 4:50 PM

To all you people who made fun of my spelling "sole" for "soul," I'm French you connards!!!

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2023 4:57 PM

He kind of looks like Owen Wilson?

WHET Owen Wilson?

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2023 5:00 PM

He was incinerated in that movie he did with Julie Christie

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2023 5:12 PM

Oskar Werner was really Oskar Bschließmayer which it seems is the same as Oskar Bschlussmayer.

So does Bschlussmayer have any connection with The Anschluss in which Germany connected with Austria in March 1938?

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2023 7:43 PM

“Interlude” was a remake of “Intermezzo” a Swedish film with Ingrid Bergman that was remade with her in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 55January 20, 2023 2:05 AM

R47 wrote:

[quote] R38 That was a loose remake of Interlude (1957), that starred June Allyson and Rossano Brazzi - directed by Douglas Sirk. Which was itself a loose remake of When Tomorrow Comes (1939) strarring Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer.

by Anonymousreply 56January 20, 2023 2:07 AM

R50 Truffaut probably didn't hate him when he cast him.

by Anonymousreply 57January 20, 2023 6:41 PM

R55 Intermezzo was remade as Honeysuckle Rose (1980). But I don't think Interlude was a remake of Intermezzo, though there are similarities.

by Anonymousreply 58January 20, 2023 6:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!