Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cate Blanchett vs. Michelle Yeoh for Oscar

I guess Michelle Williams is out of the running having been snubbed for SAG award. Michelle Yeoh is gaining steam for her great performance in an acclaimed film. Blanchett is overrated and already has two, will Academy give her another?

I am feeling like Yeoh takes the Best Actress Oscar this year.

by Anonymousreply 208March 18, 2023 5:59 AM

Michelle Yeoh. Blanchett was great in Mrs. America, though.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2023 1:21 PM

I’ve tried three times but find the Yeoh movie unwatchable. I do have a crush on the husband, though.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2023 1:24 PM

LMAO at the crackheads who think Michelle Yeoh will win. The Academy is only going to bother nominating 5 actresses as a formality…Cate Blanchett has already won.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2023 3:44 PM

The Oscars like historic moments. Yeoh's win would be historic and other actors love her. I am sure Nicole Kidman will vote for Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2023 2:48 AM

Wrong. When it comes to Best Actress, the woman with the wind at her back always wins. At this point Cate has won the Golden Globe, Critics Choice, and NY & LA Film Critics awards. Michelle will spend this awards season in a distant second.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2023 3:39 AM

R5 It only matters if Michelle doesn't win SAG or BAFTA. And she'll probably get SAG and we won't know what's up until the night of.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2023 4:01 AM

EEAAO has momentum behind it, and people voting actually watched the movie. Few Academy voters even bothered to watch the flop Tar.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2023 4:12 AM

Blanchett has become another Streep - all external, all big, all the time. She’s not beloved in the industry. Michelle will win.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2023 4:16 AM

Tar is a better film and Cate is a better actress…not that that means anything these days. She’s not at all overrated, OP, especially not in this film. EEAAO is the very definition of overrated. The first hour of that film is excruciating but I did enjoy the last 45 minutes or so.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2023 4:32 AM

I think Blanchett is talented but very overrated at times.

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2023 4:38 AM

I loved EEAAO. I saw it in the theater and was captivated from the first frame.

Is "Tar" streaming somewhere? I'll watch it but I already know Cate will exhaust me.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2023 4:45 AM

Tar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2023 4:47 AM

Thank you, r12, but I didn't know it was 2 1/2 hours. I don't think I can do it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2023 4:50 AM

Blanchett should win, but Yeoh seems like the likely winner now. That “Everything Everywhere” was so sloppy, cacophonous, and just dumb should be a disqualifier, but, c’est la vie.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2023 4:55 AM

I'm actually kind of hoping Yeoh wins. I find Blanchett to be overrated and I'm so tired of seeing EVERYBODY kiss Blanchett's ass.

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2023 5:59 AM

Blanchett already has two Oscars. Isn't that enough to secure her stature as an enduring talent? Does she even want a third?

Michelle Yeoh has had a long and under-recognized career until now. She's done stacks of kung-fu movies in half a dozen languages (usually doing her own stunts), was the rare Bond girl who outshone 007 himself, brought gravitas to a stinker of a Star Trek series, and now has this honor before her. Giving her Oscar Gold is hardly a diversity pick or handing it over to some neophyte. She's paid her dues the hard way.

It's like the nominations of people like Laurie Metcalf, Jackie Gleason, Joan Allen, Judy Davis, and Angela Lansbury. These people are genuine fucking Actors with a capital "A." But they don't mind money for the studios who run these awards, so they never get more than a token nomination and three seconds on the "In Memoriam" when they croak.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2023 6:22 AM

They will always give the Oscar to a biographical portrayal, especially of a ground breaking woman. Unfortunately, Blanchett.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2023 9:49 AM

A woman no one's heard about or cares about.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2023 9:52 AM

The character is not a real person, R17. Tar is not a biopic!

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2023 9:56 AM

Of course the non-white woman is getting it. You’re delusional if you think Kate will take it. lol

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2023 9:59 AM

You forget that, in media, the only minority is not the color that Michelle is.

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2023 10:07 AM

Tar was pretty contorversial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2023 10:12 AM

More.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2023 10:13 AM

Blanchett's performance is one for the ages. Too bad Yeoh has to compete with her this particular year.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2023 3:00 PM

Diversity is code for black only. Bonus points for gay blacks.

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2023 3:16 PM

After Cate Blanchett Critics Choice speech where she blasted the fact this is a competition, like a horse race. Some voters might pause and say "If she feels that way, I'll vote for Michelle Yeoh

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2023 3:19 PM

Cate Blanchett will have years and years of good roles in the future, while Michelle Yeoh will not have as many opportunities as her to be nominated again. So if I was voting that would sway my vote to Yeoh.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2023 3:24 PM

Contrary to popular belief, nobody has ever lost an Oscar based on speeches they’ve given during the run up to the main event. Cate Blanchett is actually the queen of bad speeches and it hasn’t stopped her from racking up award after award after award.

Michelle Yeoh seems nice enough, but the Academy has no problem denying respected/beloved actresses in the perfect part (Diane Lane, Lauren Bacall, Anette Bening).

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2023 3:27 PM

R28, the corollary to that is that no one has ever won because of their speeches, either.

There seems to be this idea that once Yeoh wins this or that award, she'll give a speech so moving she'll become undeniable. EEAAO fans said this before her Globes speech but it didn't happen, and I'm sure they'll trot out the same idea if she wins SAG (and as populist as SAG is, that's still a big "if").

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2023 3:39 PM

Yeoh will get it because she's more of a minority

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2023 3:53 PM

No, the Oscar will be given to Ke Huy Quan for Supporting Actor and Hollywood will have fulfilled their non-black minority quote. Could you imagine the vitriol coming from Jada if two Asians win? Then, Hollywood can relax and give it once again to one of their own, Blanchett. Yeoh is just the wrong color.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2023 5:44 PM

[quote] They will always give the Oscar to a biographical portrayal, especially of a ground breaking woman. Unfortunately, Blanchett.

good grief...

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2023 12:58 AM

Cate blanchett out performed everybody else. She deserves all the awards. Enough with this woke nonsense

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2023 1:56 AM

Keep telling yourself that, R33. No average Academy member is going to sit through a viewing of that dreadful movie.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2023 2:02 AM

Yeoh and Curtis both need to win. EEAAO was a tour de force for all involved.

Better in so many ways than the Korean basement film that won last year.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2023 2:12 AM

[quote] Enough with this woke nonsense

Thank you for making the F&F easy.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2023 2:34 AM

#OscarsSoLezzy

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2023 2:53 AM

[quote] Are you speaking of Cate,#OscarsSoWhite, Blanchett?

Speaking recently with Vogue, nominee Cate Blanchett talked both about the issues swirling this year’s Oscars, and her feelings on Haynes missing his own shot at Oscar gold.

“I think every year it’s important to remember: A healthy Academy, a healthy industry, is a diverse industry. A monochromatic industry is never creative."

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2023 3:11 AM

Of course, the usual eldergay racists are making this about black people when this race has nothing to do with them.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2023 3:15 AM

[quote]Cate blanchett out performed everybody else. She deserves all the awards. Enough with this woke nonsense.

So funny how racists always conveniently overlook the fact that the best actress Oscar has gone to a white woman every single year except one (the year Halle Berry won), which means for all their carping about "wokeness," it's clear that just being white will greatly stack the odds in Blanchett's favor. That's not to say she isn't legitimately deserving of the award, it's just an acknowledgement of the reality that despite the Academy's noble attempts at diversity and inclusion, for the best actress category being white is still a major advantage and you're delusional if you claim otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2023 5:42 AM

It's exciting that the race is even competitive.

That said, I'd vote for Cate B. That performance blew me away. Unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2023 6:54 AM

Both got BAFTA noms but the Brits usually award their own and I think Australia is a British commonwealth. The outcome of SAG will be more determinative of what happens Oscar night.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2023 8:09 PM

^ This would prove what a crock BAFTA awards are. So biased.

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2023 7:22 AM

Michelle Williams made a surprise rebound with the nomination. However, the race is still between Blanchett and Yeoh. Yeoh still has the edge.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2023 5:42 PM

Yeoh doesn’t have shit. Cate will win her 3rd Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2023 5:43 PM

I haven't seen Tár to compare the performances, but I hope Michelle Yeoh wins. Hers was by far the best performance I did see this past year. Plus, her not even being nominated in 2001 (when I think she should have won) has always rankled me.

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2023 5:57 PM

You'd think the Academy would award one amazing and overlooked talent before they'd give a THIRD statue to an established talent, but who the fuck knows for sure?

These are the same people who gave Anthony Hopkins a second Oscar for one of his weaker roles, and gave Meryl Streep her third Oscar for a role people have since come to despise (both of these awards also effectively snubbed fan favorite nominees).

The voting process, especially now that it's gone ranked-choice, rewards mainstream mashed-potato acting. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom fucking Hanks got another Oscar for his recent pig shit movies, only because the real performances couldn't get enough of the vote from the middle.

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2023 6:40 PM

The Father wasn't one of Hopkins's weaker roles, R47. He was fantastic in the movie, and the Academy made the correct choice by voting for him instead of succumbing to maudlin sentimentality because Black Panther died of cancer.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom is an awful movie filled with hammy performances. The Academy rightfully rejected it.

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2023 6:58 PM

It’s not a lifetime achievement award - how many Oscars anybody has should be immaterial.

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2023 8:50 PM

I thought Meryl was great in "Iron Lady."

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2023 2:19 AM

The fact of the matter is, Tár will likely lose in most every category in which it’s nominated, but as a respected film the Academy will want to award it. Best Actress is the likeliest way to do that.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2023 3:29 AM

I loathe that Cunt Blanchett is attempting to pull a Daniel Day- Lewis by threatening to quit acting to nab her third Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2023 3:55 AM

[quote]R17 They will always give the Oscar to a biographical portrayal, especially of a ground breaking woman. Unfortunately, Blanchett.

By that standard it would be Ana de Arnas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2023 6:02 AM

R52 if you could’ve bothered to actually read the referenced quote instead of going into queeny hysterics you would realise that she was joking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2023 6:24 AM

R18 if you haven't heard of Michelle Yeoh, I can't help you. Her acting work would merit multiple lifetime achievement awards.

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2023 1:07 PM

EEAAO has the wind behind its backs, and Michelle will be swept to victory.

Plus, no voter wants to sit through Tar.

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2023 1:21 PM

[quote]They will always give the Oscar to a biographical portrayal, especially of a ground breaking woman.

Not always.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2023 1:26 PM

[quote]Plus, no voter wants to sit through Tar.

People could get away with this nonsense back in festival season, when it was possible that Tar might become a festival favorite that crashes and burns outside of Telluride or Toronto just like Spencer did last year. But Tar has been chugging through the season with a surprising level of support from industry groups that aren't just the highbrow snobs. Field got a DGA nomination, and that group includes a lot of television, music video and commercial directors.

Tar even outperformed The Fabelmans among the notoriously basic tech branches of the Academy, even though Michael Kahn and Janusz Kaminski should have been easy name-checks for Editing and Cinematography. Insisting that voters won't sit through Tar when the nominations clearly show that they did watch the movie and apparently really liked it is just delusional at this point.

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2023 4:41 PM

R47 you're way off. As weak as The Iron Lady is as a movie, Streep's performance was widely acclaimed and Anthony Hopkins was astonishing in The Father

Plus Tom Hanks hasn't been nominated since 2001.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2023 5:23 PM

Michelle Yeoh better take it.

I'm kinda tired of Cate's face. Like M, she doesn't know how to make herself scarce, and she's everything, everywhere, all at once.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2023 5:27 PM

Yes, the nominations for editing and cinematography show a solid level of respect for Tar, not to mention director when some pundits thought Field would be left out.

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2023 5:37 PM

R60 Some of us have an "all-natural" face to endure such exposure.

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2023 6:06 PM

R38 cate always sem to say the right things unfortunately for her she doesn't sound genuine. Nobody believes she is about diversity, or that she admires Viola, or want to work with her. In fact I don't ever remember Cate being in a movie with a diverse cast.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2023 7:07 PM

On a preferential ballot EEAAO is in big trouble. I believe reports that many of the older, more conservative potential voters switched off after the first hour (I know I did after the IRS sequence). Therefore the film will get placed either ninth or tenth on quite a few ballots. No way Yeoh wins, as a result. Ke Huy Quan might even lose in a shock win for Judd Hirsch. EEAAO is highly likely to walk home empty handed on Oscar night. And Blanchett wins Best Actress hands down.

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2023 7:15 PM

I kind of think Hirsch was very lucky to get a nom, given that his co-star Dano got better reviews and a SAG nom, but who knows? He could be a sentimental upset winner ala Don Ameche for "Cocoon."

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2023 7:22 PM

Ke Huy Quan has Supporting Actor locked down, unfortunately. Even if the preferential ballot is fatal to Everything Everywhere's chances to win Best Picture (and as much as I'd like it to lose, I don't think it's going to happen), Quan is still the overwhelming favorite.

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2023 7:44 PM

Two mass shootings in which the assailants were Asian…plus the Golden Globes becoming a superspreader event…

The Academy’s goodwill might be exhausted by the time voting winds down…which doesn’t bode well for EEAAO.

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2023 7:50 PM

I think it's still going to Blanchett this year.

I'd love for it to go to Colin Farrell for Best Actor but it's probably Fraser's.

by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2023 7:56 PM

R67, you stupid cunt

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2023 8:00 PM

Most Oscar prognosticators have determined Best Actor is the race to watch. The winners for Actress (Blanchett), Supporting Actress (Bassett), and Best Supporting Actor (Quan) are locked up. Best Actor is currently a 3-way tie (momentum has shifted from Fraser, to Butler, to now Farrell).

by Anonymousreply 70January 25, 2023 8:08 PM

Judd Hirsch should've won MY Oscar for Supporting in "Ordinary People."

But...category fraud...

by Anonymousreply 71January 25, 2023 8:29 PM

Sorry, Timothy and Judd, but Jason Robards should have won that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 72January 25, 2023 8:42 PM

R72 Jason had already won two Oscars by 1981. He was a revered stage and screen actor, and everybody knew it. He didn't need a third statue any more than Blanchett needs one this year.

I don't hear anyone taking up for Joe Pesci or Michael O'Keefe (whoever that is) in that year's running.

by Anonymousreply 73January 25, 2023 8:47 PM

I like Blanchett in Tar except the way she conducted. That didn't look authentic

by Anonymousreply 74January 25, 2023 8:54 PM

Tar is a shitty movie. The last 30-45 mins seem disjointed from the entire story. I had no idea what the fuck was going on there.

by Anonymousreply 75January 25, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote]Two mass shootings in which the assailants were Asian…plus the Golden Globes becoming a superspreader event…The Academy’s goodwill might be exhausted by the time voting winds down…which doesn’t bode well for EEAAO.

Only asshole racists such as yourself would let it affect their vote.

by Anonymousreply 76January 25, 2023 9:25 PM

R74= that bitter dyke Marin Alsop

by Anonymousreply 77January 25, 2023 9:26 PM

R67, is that what passes for wit and intelligence on GAB?

by Anonymousreply 78January 25, 2023 10:55 PM

Unfortunately that may describe a substantial subset of the Academy, R76.

[quote]Nobody believes she is about diversity, or that she admires Viola, or want to work with her. In fact I don't ever remember Cate being in a movie with a diverse cast.

She was in [italic]Thor: Ragnarok[/italic] with Idris Elba, Tessa Thompson, and Tadanobu Asano. (Plus Taika Watiti, if his claims of Māori descent aren't BS...)

by Anonymousreply 79January 26, 2023 1:26 AM

R79, she was also in Babel, where the whole point of the movie was an international cast who proved that overacting is universal in any language.

by Anonymousreply 80January 26, 2023 2:19 AM

Go Girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 27, 2023 4:59 AM

Strange dress though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 27, 2023 5:01 AM

Michelle Yeoh is heading for Oscar!!! Yay!!!

by Anonymousreply 83February 27, 2023 5:06 AM

[quote]Nobody believes she is about diversity, or that she admires Viola, or want to work with her. In fact I don't ever remember Cate being in a movie with a diverse cast.

[quote]She was in Thor: Ragnarok with Idris Elba, Tessa Thompson, and Tadanobu Asano. (Plus Taika Watiti, if his claims of Māori descent aren't BS...)

Babel, Oceans 8, Benjamin Button. She's done more than her fair share of period pieces with all White casts, but she's Australian and easily gets typecast as the upper crust European. I wouldn't say she doesn't work with diverse casts because some of her BIGGEST films were with diverse casts. She comes across as a little aristocratic, so it's easy to shove her in a corset and stick her with a bunch of White folks. So does Tilda Swinton.

Hell, she may be eager to work with more diverse casts and isn't getting the opportunities because producers see her and say "Let's stick her in a 1940's period piece where she can play the femme fatale" and that's the kind of movies that the folks she works for can get made. But I wouldn't say she avoids working with diverse casts.

by Anonymousreply 84February 27, 2023 5:57 AM

Now Asians are FOR Affirmative Action! I guess that counts as progress if an inferior performance is rewarded because the world needs a “First Asian Best Actress Winner.”

by Anonymousreply 85February 27, 2023 10:45 AM

After her SAG win there is no doubt the Michelle Yeoh pretty much has the Oscar in the bag.

Todd Field's films make rake in the Oscar nominations but they are too cold for the Academy's taste to actual give them any awards.

by Anonymousreply 86February 27, 2023 10:51 AM

Do we think Michelle Yeoh has had work done? She look great but her eyes seem to have a different shape now compared to 20 years ago. Kind of funny that she lives in Switzerland with a French car racing executive. Their place is a bit wan and colorless, even for Calvinist Geneva...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 27, 2023 11:28 AM

R85: I suggest you take a closer look at this thread truly to find out more about UNDESERVING actors/actresses who have won Oscar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 27, 2023 11:31 AM

R87: I think she’s at heart a good Chinese girl with strong family values

Her first marriage was to Hongkong Chinese businessman Dickson Poon, which ended in divorce [amidst allegations of domestic violence]

So now I guess she just wants someone stable even if he’s a bit older and slightly staid/boring

by Anonymousreply 89February 27, 2023 11:42 AM

Archived version of article at r87

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 27, 2023 11:45 AM

R89 a childless divorcée living with a man out of wedlock doesn't exactly scream "strong family values" to me. Does she consider herself Chinese? She grew up in Malaysia and the UK and didn't learn Cantonese (speaking only) until she was an adult.

by Anonymousreply 91February 27, 2023 11:53 AM

R91: I guess being half Chinese myself I’ve some pretty unconventional notions about family values lolz

In interviews she’s referred to herself as ‘Chinese Malaysian’, so I guess a bit like a hybrid

We actually share a mutual family friend: Michelle spoke English and Cantonese at home from a young age, although I think it’s the Malaysian version [and not the more polished Hong Kong version]

by Anonymousreply 92February 27, 2023 12:03 PM

I'd like to see Cate win, because I enjoyed her performance in Tar. I think Michelle Yeoh, will win though.

by Anonymousreply 93February 27, 2023 12:30 PM

R70. Where are you? Please come back and retrieve your comment.

Nostradamus you ain’t.

by Anonymousreply 94February 27, 2023 12:37 PM

[quote]Now Asians are FOR Affirmative Action! I guess that counts as progress if an inferior performance is rewarded because the world needs a “First Asian Best Actress Winner.”

It's your opinion that it's an inferior performance because it's a subjective award. But claiming that it's "affirmative action" is just straight up bullshit.

Or I guess when Kristi Yamaguchi won an Olympic gold medal that was also "affirmative action" to you. Perhaps when Midori Ito became the first woman to land a triple axel in competition you also said "yeah, well they HAD to let her. She's ASIAN!"

I don't want to scare you or anything but 60% of the world's population is Asian. Possibly becoming the first to win a Best Actress honor after nearly 100 years is frankly shocking.

by Anonymousreply 95February 28, 2023 12:32 AM

Stunt girl who got lucky.

She won’t win the Oscar. Academy members are a hell of a lot more discerning than the SAG-AFTRA voters, many of whom are non-actors who work for national and local news outlets.

by Anonymousreply 96February 28, 2023 12:49 AM

[quote]Stunt girl who got lucky.

She's not a stunt woman. She has no stunt credits on IMDb. As a matter of fact, she was a ballet dancer and has never learned martial arts. She has to be taught the moves by the stunt team and she is able to repeat them gracefully because of her ballet training.

by Anonymousreply 97February 28, 2023 12:55 AM

LA Times:

'Everything Everywhere' won the guild trifecta. Now it's the Oscars frontrunner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98February 28, 2023 1:05 AM

R97: indeed. It’s her years of classical ballet training from a young age onwards that have really stood her in good stead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 28, 2023 2:52 AM

^ Archived version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 28, 2023 2:57 AM

OK, dancer who got lucky, then.

I admit she’s good in EEAAO but in everything else I’ve seen her in she’s a total stick of wood. Even in a great role like the one she had in Crazy Rich Asians. Stiff as a board facial expressions with extremely flat, colorless line readings. Not a good actress at all. It’s laughable that she’s mentioned in the same breath as Cate Blanchett. As I put it a while ago, she’s Sharon Stone to Blanchett’s Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 101February 28, 2023 3:49 AM

R101: are you sure you aren’t r96, instead of r97?

by Anonymousreply 102February 28, 2023 5:19 AM

[quote]t’s laughable that she’s mentioned in the same breath as Cate Blanchett.

I think a lot of people (including the Academy) will disagree with you. She's had a very different career than Blanchett. She started off as an action hero, but she's been in tons of Chinese dramas and comedies that were never released in the US. And I'm pretty sure that the reason they just dropped Crouching Tiger back into theaters is to remind people she is a phenomenal actor and that was an amazing heartbreaking movie and she (and Ziyi Zhang ) probably deserved Oscar nods for it. It was nominated for 10 Oscars and none of them were for the actors?? If the acting wasn't superb, the editors, composer, costumers, NONE of them would have been nominated.

Sharon Stone had a great career and she slowly aged out of it. Michelle Yeoh had a different great career and she's getting stronger all the time.

I shouldn't say "she's getting stronger". Hollywood just finally noticed.

by Anonymousreply 103February 28, 2023 5:26 AM

Yes, r102, r101 was r96 not r97. I was r97.

by Anonymousreply 104February 28, 2023 5:29 AM

R103 what are you talking about? The quality of acting in a movie has nothing to do with Oscar nominations for technical achievements. although I agree that Yeoh and Ziyi merited nominations over anybody from "Chocolat" and "Almost Famous."

And Sharon Stone?? What "career" did she have aside from Total Recall, Basic Instinct and Casino? Yeoh's had a longer and more varied career, she's very successful, rich, pretty, thin, and not batshit crazy like Stone. Yeoh may not have an Oscar but I really don't see her as an underdog.

by Anonymousreply 105February 28, 2023 1:32 PM

I don't think Michelle Yeoh is a great actor in her English speaking roles.

by Anonymousreply 106February 28, 2023 1:44 PM

Thank you, Cate, at R106

by Anonymousreply 107February 28, 2023 4:07 PM

Michelle Yeoh reminds me of a woman who stole intellectual property from a tech company I work at…

by Anonymousreply 108February 28, 2023 5:34 PM

It is funny that Yeoh had to learn her lines phonetically for crouching tiger because she doesn’t know mandarin, kinda like Christina Aguilera and her “Latin” album.

I hope Cate wins but I hate hearing her talk outside of movies. She gave an interview about making blue Jasmine and called the Madoff scandal “the holocaust of the financial crisis.” I still have no idea what she could have meant by that. Perhaps it’s better that she didn’t realize she was playing a character based on Mia Farrow in that movie…

by Anonymousreply 109February 28, 2023 6:00 PM

R109 and me!

by Anonymousreply 110February 28, 2023 6:19 PM

[quote][R103] what are you talking about? The quality of acting in a movie has nothing to do with Oscar nominations for technical achievements. although I agree that Yeoh and Ziyi merited nominations over anybody from "Chocolat" and "Almost Famous

It shouldn't but it does. Look at all the nominations in the technical award categories like sound editing, visual effects, makeup. 90% of them are for movies where there's also an actor nominated. There's an occasional foreign film with one nomination that slips in, it basically, unless the acting is top notch, all the other awards don't follow.

Parasite was another movie this makes me think of. Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Film in the same year as well as Best Director and Best Screenplay. It own all the top awards and didn't have a single actor nominated?? They easily could have (should have) nominated the mom, the dad, both kids, the ex housekeeper, and the rich wife. It was a global phenomenon and awarded for everything except the acting which is what held it all together.

by Anonymousreply 111February 28, 2023 6:39 PM

R109 is so right! When she won her Oscar for Blue Jasmine, Cate said something idiotic like, “And receiving this from Mr. Daniel Day-Lewis only exacerbates the honor.” She’s a great actress, but she sounds so fucking dumb when she speaks.

by Anonymousreply 112February 28, 2023 6:49 PM

Blanchett wins:

[quote](even with the laudable expansion of the voting membership, the Academy still has a voting base that is 66% male and 81% white).

by Anonymousreply 113February 28, 2023 11:12 PM

Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis were in two of the greatest films of all-time--Psycho and Some Like It Hot. For that alone, Jamie deserves the Oscar. Too many people have lost respect for true Hollywood Royalty. We need to cherish and honor it, because they're all dying off at an alarming rate. Who do we have to look up to anymore? Timothee Chalamet and Margot Robbie? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 114March 1, 2023 2:19 AM

Like many actresses, Michelle needs a good director - and script - to bring out her potential

To use a film most of us are familiar, ‘Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon’ sees her play a traditional swordswoman from the Qing Dynasty. Her character calls for her to be repressed and abiding of all the Confucian womanly ‘virtues’ [put yourself behind everyone’s concerns, esp. the men’s]. I think she did a great job showing the hidden frustrations - like she could never tell the Chow Yuen-fatt character how much she loves him; it’s all simmering, boiling slowly beneath the surface

Also: her restraint provides a much needed contrast to Zhang Ziyi’s boldness and vivacity, and in that sense it’s ensemble acting at its best. No scenery chewing at the expense of the overall result

So I think it’s rather unfair to say that she isn’t a good actress, and that she’s merely skilled in actions and stunts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 1, 2023 2:53 AM

Yeah, Charlize Theron was a ballet dancer and can do stunt work but no one would pigeon hole her as a "lucky stunt woman".

by Anonymousreply 116March 1, 2023 3:55 AM

R116, Charlize is by far one of the greatest actors of her generation. Her role in Monster was a masterpiece.

I am a Michelle fan but there is not comparison...

by Anonymousreply 117March 1, 2023 4:08 AM

I sincerely hope r114 is joking with that post. You want to give her an Oscar just for being a nepo baby, really?

Hollywood is supposed to be a meritocracy, not some sort of sprawling royal family.

by Anonymousreply 118March 1, 2023 4:11 AM

R106, I enjoyed Yeoh in The Lady. I thought she was overlooked for noms in that role.

by Anonymousreply 119March 1, 2023 4:15 AM

R114 by your logic the Academy Award for best Actress should go to JLC’s older sister Kelly Curtis who is also the child of Hollywood royalty. Plus she’s an actress AND director.

No? That’s not what you meant?

You sound like an idiot, R114.

by Anonymousreply 120March 1, 2023 4:20 AM

[quote][R116], Charlize is by far one of the greatest actors of her generation. Her role in Monster was a masterpiece.

Yeah. And Michelle Yeoh is one of the greatest actresses of her generation in Chinese films. She's been in tons of movies that we've never had access to. She's breaking through in the US. And if she wins an Oscar, she'll be considered one of the greatest worldwide stars of her generation. No disrespect to Charlize Theron, but we've been sleeping on Yeoh for 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 121March 1, 2023 5:30 AM

Also: one must bear in mind: the resources - good scripts, good roles, good directors - available to white, and increasingly black, actors/actresses, far outstrip anything available to Asian actors/actresses

This is of course refering to the English-speaking market, which is tantamount to the worldwide market

Sure, people are doing good work in Chinese/Indian/Iranian [just to name a few] markets in their native languages, but they simply do not get the same exposure - and financial rewards - of those in English-speaking films

So I think that’s why it’s rather unfair to compare the body of work of say Cate, or Charlize, to someone like Michelle. The opportunities/resources/exposure are so much greater and plentiful for the former group it’s not even funny

by Anonymousreply 122March 1, 2023 7:34 AM

Yeoh is right out of the Wokiellennial wishbook. She's foreign, female and trying to reinvent herself. They love that shit.

by Anonymousreply 123March 1, 2023 8:04 AM

R123, Yeoh has been acting before 'woke' was even a concept fermenting inside most angry conservative's enraged pea brains.

by Anonymousreply 124March 1, 2023 8:10 AM

R124 "woke" did not originate from conservatives, the batardized version of today, yes, ( which maga trolls, conspiracy theorists, triggered snowflakes and racsists use)but Woke in its original meaning is an invention of black culture and though of the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 125March 1, 2023 2:27 PM

Blanchett is bloated on her own ego. She was one of the worst guests I've ever seen on Graham Norton, her self importance on full display.

She and Streep can go away.

by Anonymousreply 126March 1, 2023 2:32 PM

R126, I'm not a Cate Blanchett fan person per se. However, I think a lot of the things posted about her on here and on L Chat are false. She comes off as very real and down to earth. She seems very sweet and kind. I don't get all the hate she gets here, for what using big words? All actresses are divas and Cate seems by far the least diva of all. I watched that Graham Norton show and she did not come off as you described

by Anonymousreply 127March 1, 2023 2:36 PM

[quote]Sure, people are doing good work in Chinese/Indian/Iranian [just to name a few] markets in their native languages, but they simply do not get the same exposure - and financial rewards - of those in English-speaking films

r122 this is fucked up whether you realize it or not. You have a white supremacist view of what constitutes excellence based on whether or not English speaking white audiences are the target audience. Many of the best directors I can think of are Asian and their films are brilliant.

Actors that have burning desire to work in American films want money and fame, they aren't the ones who are fueled solely by their love of acting. Excellent actors focus on the material. Ego driven actors want to fill their bank accounts and feed their ego.

English-speaking films as you put it, are not the highest bar when it comes to film, just the most lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 128March 1, 2023 2:42 PM

Michelle should have gotten an Oscar nom for CTHD and even CRA and she didn't because well # Oscarsowhite and now to give her an Oscar for her bland role in a really silly movie just because Academy is trying to recognize diversity is a real insult to Michelle and unfair to the other nominees

by Anonymousreply 129March 1, 2023 3:00 PM

[quote] Actors that have burning desire to work in American films want money and fame,

Isn't that.l 99.9% of actors though? I'm dorry but Cate or Meryl etc are not taking on roles simply to " work.on.their.craft" it's a job they need to get paid, these multi million dollar mansions are not going to pay for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 130March 1, 2023 3:24 PM

[quote]Michelle should have gotten an Oscar nom for CTHD and even CRA and she didn't because well # Oscarsowhite and now to give her an Oscar for her bland role in a really silly movie just because Academy is trying to recognize diversity is a real insult to Michelle and unfair to the other nominees.

Whoa! It's been called one of the most exciting films in years and clearly one of the best movies of 2022 and her role was far from Bland. If you want Bland, let's just give Frances McDormand another Oscar. She laughed, she cried, she fought, she made us feel sympathy for her and her tax auditor in a world where they had hot dog fingers!! It was so over the top ridiculous that without Yeoh, Quan. Curtis, and Hsu we probably all would have thought it was the most ridiculous movie ever! They walked an absurdly ridiculous tightrope and when I saw it, there were people streaming out of the theater wiping away tears. About a movie that featured a power generating buttoning award!!!

Please don't downplay what an incredible film it was. And continually harping on "diversity" when they all did an amazing job is just so fucking racist.

by Anonymousreply 131March 1, 2023 5:25 PM

Someohow "buttplug" autocorrected to "buttoning" but you all knew that

by Anonymousreply 132March 1, 2023 5:31 PM

R114 wins for silliest logic. While Janet was indeed great in Psycho, Tony Curtis was not a truly great actor by any stretch and I wouldn't call him Hollywood royalty.

by Anonymousreply 133March 1, 2023 5:37 PM

Yes, Best Picture Is Going to ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ — But Will It Become the Third Movie in History to Win Three Acting Oscars?

Variety thinks that Jamie Lee Curtis and James Hung may pull Michelle Yeoh over the finish line at the Oscars: "I’ve long believed “Everything Everywhere” winning best picture and director would be what Yeoh needs to win the best actress Oscar. However, it turns out the key to winning was with her co-star Jamie Lee Curtis (and James Hong) all along."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 1, 2023 7:37 PM

Of course that article comes from the idiotic Clayton Davis, whose columns are always about promoting an agenda instead of actual analysis.

People are going to vote for Michelle Yeoh because of James Hong's acceptance speech at the SAG awards, which were broadcast on YouTube and watched by virtually no one? Ridiculous. Bad Oscar pundits continue to insist that Academy voters are swayed by things like acceptance speeches or Twitter outrage, and yet Oscar voters reject that almost every single time.

by Anonymousreply 135March 1, 2023 8:13 PM

[quote]People are going to vote for Michelle Yeoh because of James Hong's acceptance speech at the SAG awards, which were broadcast on YouTube and watched by virtually no one?

Well? It was probably watched more closely by the academy voters than the general public. I'm not saying he's right, but increasingly, I think a lot of the public has awards season fatigue. I'm not even sure when they started broadcasting the SAGs and the Independent Spirit Awards, but I didn't need them in my life.

by Anonymousreply 136March 1, 2023 8:43 PM

Cate FTW

by Anonymousreply 137March 1, 2023 8:54 PM

R135, Yes, Clayton Davies is a complete idiot. At the Critics Awards, he went on saying that Michelle Y would win but Cate did.

Bad Oscar pundits is the best way to describe all of these Twitter guys/gals.

by Anonymousreply 138March 1, 2023 9:19 PM

I like Goldderby.com's combined odds system. They just moved Yeoh into first place. But JLC is still in third.

by Anonymousreply 139March 1, 2023 9:38 PM

Chicago Sun-Times ; One of the best actors of our time delivers maybe her best work ever in the kind of grand, artsy, wildly inventive, prestige project that might as well have come wrapped in paper labeled “Oscar Bait.” The only contender with a chance is the beloved Michelle Yeoh for “Everything Everywhere All at Once,"

by Anonymousreply 140March 1, 2023 10:05 PM

TuftsDaily - Although Andrea Riseborough’s controversial nomination initially shook up the category, Cate Blanchett and Michelle Yeoh remain the frontrunners. Yeoh, the winner at last weekend’s SAG Awards, deserves the award for her remarkable performance as Evelyn Wang in “Everything Everywhere,” but expect Critics’ Choice and BAFTA winner Blanchett to take home her third Oscar for her virtuosic leading role in “Tár.”

by Anonymousreply 141March 1, 2023 10:08 PM

Nobody wants to repeat the BAFTA embarrassment. Michelle Yeoh will win. And Brendan Fraser.

by Anonymousreply 142March 1, 2023 10:12 PM

[quote] She won’t win the Oscar. Academy members are a hell of a lot more discerning than the SAG-AFTRA voters, many of whom are non-actors who work for national and local news outlets.

"Discerning"?! Yes, discerning enough to have awarded Cher, Helen Hunt, Sandra Bullock, Gwyneth Paltrow and Emma Stone but NOT Glenn Close or Annette Bening?

by Anonymousreply 143March 2, 2023 1:02 AM

[quote] [R116], Charlize is by far one of the greatest actors of her generation. Her role in Monster was a masterpiece.

Bitch, what?!

by Anonymousreply 144March 2, 2023 1:04 AM

[quote] Also: one must bear in mind: the resources - good scripts, good roles, good directors - available to white, and increasingly black, actors/actresses, far outstrip anything available to Asian actors/actresses.

Untrue. The biggest motion picture engine outside of the U.S. is in Asia. Although, I agree that the American and European film industry don't appreciate or give full credit to the talent featured in Asian films but for the rare "Parasite."

by Anonymousreply 145March 2, 2023 1:08 AM

Nicole @ r144, sorry hon that whispery thing you do which you call talking will not win you anymore awards. Oh and that embalm look , change it

by Anonymousreply 146March 2, 2023 1:42 AM

EW Best Actress predictions

We know, we know; Cate Blanchett's performance in TÁR is career-best work. It has won every precursor imaginable thus far. But, as The Great Olivia Colman Upset Over Glenn Close of 2019 (official title) proved, Best Actress is a place where legends can unseat legends, and momentum for Michelle Yeoh (and Everything Everywhere All at Once) has only grown in recent weeks. The film racked up an impressive 11 Oscar nods (even in unexpected categories, like Best Original Song) — something the cast and crew admittedly never imagined before the film became A24's highest-grossing picture of all time in early 2022. Sustaining passionate support that long is telling when it comes to gauging Hollywood's affection for this film, and, given the Academy's growing international tastes, it feels like a betrayal of the industry's across-the-board, unified support for the film to predict anyone but Yeoh to take home the gold in this contentious category.

Still, as unpredictable as The Academy can be, there's an equally compelling case to bet on this season simply being a Blanchett steamroll, and statistics are keeping us locked on her for now. Especially since she repeated (again) at the BAFTAs. If she takes the SAG Award, this race is over (in her favor). But, if the actors go for Yeoh, it's anyone's game — well, between these two, that is.

by Anonymousreply 147March 2, 2023 1:47 AM

This is the first time in many years that this category doesn't interest me. I don't care about any of the nominees.

by Anonymousreply 148March 2, 2023 1:50 AM

Why does anyone in the world give credence to the BAFTAs? Of course Blanchett was going to win.

by Anonymousreply 149March 2, 2023 2:00 AM

Michelle Yeoh got a standing ovation last night at the Stephen Colbert show. The people love her! They want her to win the Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 2, 2023 3:15 PM

R143 Glenn did win the SAG for The Wife, part of why the odds were firmly in her favour. Before, well, you know..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 2, 2023 4:18 PM

The Actors branch of the Academy is currently headed by Whoopi Goldberg, Rita Wilson (??) and Marlee Matlin. Ava DuVernay and Jason Reitman head up the Directors branch. There are 15 or so other branches (publicists, hair/make-up people, vis effects, studio execs). When you think about it, most of the voters aren't that talented or are far past their prime.

by Anonymousreply 152March 2, 2023 4:55 PM

[quote]Michelle Yeoh got a standing ovation last night at the Stephen Colbert show. The people love her! They want her to win the Oscar.

With all the publicity she's getting, the public appreciates how gracious and candid she is.

by Anonymousreply 153March 2, 2023 5:54 PM

The " people" are not the ones voting. Cate deserves the Oscar. End of.

by Anonymousreply 154March 2, 2023 7:13 PM

Ham Blanchett is not getting a third oscar. At least not for this.

by Anonymousreply 155March 2, 2023 7:17 PM

The Actors branch of the Academy is currently headed by Whoopi Goldberg

And why not? I'm a movie star!

by Anonymousreply 156March 2, 2023 7:20 PM

[quote]The " people" are not the ones voting

Guess you're too dumb to see that it was in response to " The people love her." Keep up.

by Anonymousreply 157March 2, 2023 8:58 PM

R152 It's 'Visionary Film Director Ava DuVernay', bitch!

by Anonymousreply 158March 3, 2023 3:32 AM

People don’t live in isolation, and that include voters of the Oscars

People also don’t form their opinions in a vacuum. Rather, they read news, they surf the net, they interact on social media, they *talk* to others

So, it’s a long winded way of saying that: while the general public don’t vote *directly* for the Oscar, the public’s reactions and receptions are bound to have a not insignificant impact on the actual voters

Therefore Michelle’s current wave of goodwill is bound to help her, albeit in immeasurable ways

by Anonymousreply 159March 3, 2023 4:14 AM

Sure I know about The Depression. I read Variety!

by Anonymousreply 160March 3, 2023 4:16 AM

Who votes for the Oscar nominees? Is it a special group or is it all / anybody jn Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 161March 3, 2023 4:25 AM

In the major categories, everyone votes.

by Anonymousreply 162March 3, 2023 4:54 AM

I think they just pull names out of a hat.

by Anonymousreply 163March 3, 2023 7:06 AM

They pull names out of a hole!

by Anonymousreply 164March 3, 2023 7:09 AM

Blanchett has only won the Oscar when she also won at SAG. Since she lost to Yeoh, we'll see what this means for the big night.

by Anonymousreply 165March 3, 2023 7:13 AM

Side track: Popular Gal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 3, 2023 9:14 AM

R161 R162. Not quite right: re nominations, each branch votes only for its own category: actors nominate only actors, not directors, etc. Certain categories have a pre-selected “short list” or use a different rule (international film, short subjects l)…Best Picture is the only category in which the full Academy votes for nominees.

Every member gets to vote across the board when it comes to the final ballot (that last part is about to happen—final voting is open only for a few days before next week’s presentation). Best Picture is ranked voting: you list first thru ten in your preferred order. All other categories are single choice voting.

by Anonymousreply 167March 3, 2023 10:48 AM

In all categories other than Best Picture: mathematically, with 5 choices, it only takes votes from 20% + 1 of the membership to win an Oscar.

And for nominations…in the actin categories, where the branch self-selects nominees, you could become one of 5 nominees with just a couple of hundred votes…those are small margins.

by Anonymousreply 168March 3, 2023 11:47 AM

When has there been a " discussion" on DL concerning the Oscars Best Actress so divided and "heated"? It will make Oscar night worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 169March 3, 2023 3:30 PM

Cool!

by Anonymousreply 170March 3, 2023 3:43 PM

[quote]When has there been a " discussion" on DL concerning the Oscars Best Actress so divided and "heated"?

Nothing compares to last year's discussion. This is a close race, but the praise for both front-runners is genuine. Last year people were vicious toward every Best Actress nominee except Penelope Cruz. And that doesn't even get into that brief period in the race when people thought Lady Gaga might win for House of Gucci.

by Anonymousreply 171March 3, 2023 3:48 PM

Who won Vest Actress lady year?😵‍💫🤔

by Anonymousreply 172March 3, 2023 3:59 PM

Jessica Chastain won for The Eyes of Tammy Faye. She beat Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos), Kristen Stewart (Spencer), Olivia Colman (The Lost Daughter) and Penelope Cruz (Parallel Mothers).

It should surprise no one that Nicole Kidman as Lucille Ball and Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana did not go over well at DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 173March 3, 2023 4:12 PM

Ahhh, the memories…! 💩

But I love PC, especially in full Almodóvar mode

by Anonymousreply 174March 3, 2023 4:34 PM

Blanchett should already lose because she started claiming she was going to retire a la Daniel Day Lewis to make the Academy believe this would be her last chance.

by Anonymousreply 175March 3, 2023 4:46 PM

Based on the wins for Hopkins (over Boseman) and Coleman (over G), my money would be on Cate. Reason being that they seem to ignore race/sentiment in favor of performance. Also, awarding Frances a third when they could have given Viola a lead Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 176March 3, 2023 5:39 PM

Blanchett never claimed that she was going to retire, R175. She made a joke in an interview. If you keep insisting that she did, you're either lying or you simply don't understand what she actually said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 3, 2023 5:45 PM

Who will present the winner with her trophy? Will?

by Anonymousreply 178March 3, 2023 8:03 PM

Cate Blanchett criticized the "patriarchal pyramid" of Hollywood awards shows as she accepted a best actress gong from the Critics Choice Association in Los Angeles on Sunday.

The Australian actor and Oscars frontrunner, whose performance as an ambitious, morally dubious conductor in classical music drama "TAR" is sweeping awards, told a packed ballroom that she wished the whole "structure" of awards shows could be changed.

"It's like, what is this patriarchal pyramid where someone stands up here?" she said, collecting her prize from North America's largest critics organization.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 3, 2023 8:31 PM

It seems that only Michelle Y and Cate B are out and about selling themselves for the Oscar? Are the other best actresses not allowed to do publicty events for their chance at Oscar as well?

by Anonymousreply 180March 3, 2023 9:08 PM

R178 Yes Will will be presenting Best Actress. I have arranged it with the Academy. They are shit scared of me and do whatever I say.

by Anonymousreply 181March 3, 2023 10:32 PM

Cate is an idiot. It's hierarchical not patriarchical.

by Anonymousreply 182March 3, 2023 10:39 PM

It's patriarchal too though

by Anonymousreply 183March 3, 2023 11:46 PM

Gotta get that dig in at men, Cate. They are sure to vote for you now.

by Anonymousreply 184March 4, 2023 12:34 AM

Independent Spirit Awards are going on now. Non-gendered acting award nominees:

Cate Blanchett, Tár

Dale Dickey, A Love Song

Mia Goth, Pearl

Regina Hall, Honk for Jesus. Save Your Soul.

Paul Mescal, Aftersun

Aubrey Plaza, Emily the Criminal

Jeremy Pope, The Inspection

Taylor Russell, Bones and All

Andrea Riseborough, To Leslie

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once

by Anonymousreply 185March 4, 2023 10:52 PM

Yeoh won the Independent Spirit Award over Cate.

by Anonymousreply 186March 4, 2023 11:16 PM

^^^ we been knew

by Anonymousreply 187March 5, 2023 8:24 PM

[quote]^^^ we been knew

It was posted the moment she was announced the winner, so fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 188March 5, 2023 9:18 PM

It surprises me that no other actress besides those nominated weren't better than these. Boring. I'm backing Kerry Condon for Supporting and she's the only female among the acting noms who was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 189March 5, 2023 9:27 PM

[quote]I'm backing Kerry Condon for Supporting and she's the only female among the acting noms who was wonderful.

Does your wife know you post on DL, Mr. Condon?

by Anonymousreply 190March 5, 2023 10:52 PM

[quote]On a preferential ballot EEAAO is in big trouble. I believe reports that many of the older, more conservative potential voters switched off after the first hour (I know I did after the IRS sequence). Therefore the film will get placed either ninth or tenth on quite a few ballots. No way Yeoh wins, as a result. Ke Huy Quan might even lose in a shock win for Judd Hirsch. EEAAO is highly likely to walk home empty handed on Oscar night. And Blanchett wins Best Actress hands down.

Really, R64?

by Anonymousreply 191March 13, 2023 3:33 AM

Wedding dress realness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192March 13, 2023 1:48 PM

The honour is exacerbated.

by Anonymousreply 193March 13, 2023 3:03 PM

Well Cate was a fool for criticising awards and talking about "patriarchy", probs cost her votes

by Anonymousreply 194March 13, 2023 3:15 PM

Yep, it's a good bet it did, especially with the " old guard" who probably would have voted for her had she not been so condemning.

by Anonymousreply 195March 13, 2023 3:51 PM

R195 , since the Academy is made up of a lot of " old guard" types, I was sure she would win. I'm a bit shocked she lost tbh. Mostly males/ younger set may have voted for Michelle Yeoh

by Anonymousreply 196March 13, 2023 4:06 PM

(R196) But, they are perfectly happy with the system and don't care for someone who speaks up against them, the very people who constructed it. No, she blew it with the traditional voter.

by Anonymousreply 197March 13, 2023 4:13 PM

Finally, the thin, rich successful woman won!!

by Anonymousreply 198March 13, 2023 4:16 PM

Gurls sorry for a slight interruption: but this here Shawn Mendes and Andrew Garfield were very glad to see each other at the Vanity Fair’s post-Oscar partay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 13, 2023 4:27 PM

Michelle Yeoh is more likeable and seem down to earth. Cate needs to take the stick out of her ass

by Anonymousreply 200March 13, 2023 4:49 PM

I’d say the bigger achievement is that a 60 year old first time nominee won…that’s counter to the usual Oscar rule of young winners or multi-nominee elders finally winning. This is a break from the past.

by Anonymousreply 201March 13, 2023 4:55 PM

R201 and a minority to boot

by Anonymousreply 202March 13, 2023 4:58 PM

^i was making a specific point about age. Nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 203March 13, 2023 5:09 PM

Well, I called it! Yeoh won!

However, my karma was instant because Angela Bassett did not win. 3 steps forward two steps back.

by Anonymousreply 204March 13, 2023 7:26 PM

[quote] ^^ we been knew

Is English not your first language?

by Anonymousreply 205March 13, 2023 7:36 PM

R205, that is an expression generously given to us by our colored brethren

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 13, 2023 8:13 PM

R113 really?

by Anonymousreply 207March 16, 2023 12:14 AM

I'm very glad Michelle Yeoh won because she sure as hell isn't ever getting nominated again!! I thought she was the best actress, but she's never going to get another role like that. Cate will get tons of opportunities to chew the scenery (if she doesn't really retire which I think she made as an offhand joke). But Yeoh has had two opportunities. Crouching Tiger, which deserved a nomination, and EEAAO. She's never going to have as good a role again. Being over 60 and Asian both seriously limit the kind of jobs she'll ever be offered.

Im so happy that this once in a lifetime opportunity came along and she got it.

by Anonymousreply 208March 18, 2023 5:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!