Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cate Blanchett vs. Michelle Yeoh for Oscar

I guess Michelle Williams is out of the running having been snubbed for SAG award. Michelle Yeoh is gaining steam for her great performance in an acclaimed film. Blanchett is overrated and already has two, will Academy give her another?

I am feeling like Yeoh takes the Best Actress Oscar this year.

by Anonymousreply 80January 26, 2023 3:19 AM

Michelle Yeoh. Blanchett was great in Mrs. America, though.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2023 2:21 PM

I’ve tried three times but find the Yeoh movie unwatchable. I do have a crush on the husband, though.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2023 2:24 PM

LMAO at the crackheads who think Michelle Yeoh will win. The Academy is only going to bother nominating 5 actresses as a formality…Cate Blanchett has already won.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2023 4:44 PM

The Oscars like historic moments. Yeoh's win would be historic and other actors love her. I am sure Nicole Kidman will vote for Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2023 3:48 AM

Wrong. When it comes to Best Actress, the woman with the wind at her back always wins. At this point Cate has won the Golden Globe, Critics Choice, and NY & LA Film Critics awards. Michelle will spend this awards season in a distant second.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2023 4:39 AM

R5 It only matters if Michelle doesn't win SAG or BAFTA. And she'll probably get SAG and we won't know what's up until the night of.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2023 5:01 AM

EEAAO has momentum behind it, and people voting actually watched the movie. Few Academy voters even bothered to watch the flop Tar.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2023 5:12 AM

Blanchett has become another Streep - all external, all big, all the time. She’s not beloved in the industry. Michelle will win.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2023 5:16 AM

Tar is a better film and Cate is a better actress…not that that means anything these days. She’s not at all overrated, OP, especially not in this film. EEAAO is the very definition of overrated. The first hour of that film is excruciating but I did enjoy the last 45 minutes or so.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2023 5:32 AM

I think Blanchett is talented but very overrated at times.

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2023 5:38 AM

I loved EEAAO. I saw it in the theater and was captivated from the first frame.

Is "Tar" streaming somewhere? I'll watch it but I already know Cate will exhaust me.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2023 5:45 AM

Tar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2023 5:47 AM

Thank you, r12, but I didn't know it was 2 1/2 hours. I don't think I can do it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2023 5:50 AM

Blanchett should win, but Yeoh seems like the likely winner now. That “Everything Everywhere” was so sloppy, cacophonous, and just dumb should be a disqualifier, but, c’est la vie.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2023 5:55 AM

I'm actually kind of hoping Yeoh wins. I find Blanchett to be overrated and I'm so tired of seeing EVERYBODY kiss Blanchett's ass.

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2023 6:59 AM

Blanchett already has two Oscars. Isn't that enough to secure her stature as an enduring talent? Does she even want a third?

Michelle Yeoh has had a long and under-recognized career until now. She's done stacks of kung-fu movies in half a dozen languages (usually doing her own stunts), was the rare Bond girl who outshone 007 himself, brought gravitas to a stinker of a Star Trek series, and now has this honor before her. Giving her Oscar Gold is hardly a diversity pick or handing it over to some neophyte. She's paid her dues the hard way.

It's like the nominations of people like Laurie Metcalf, Jackie Gleason, Joan Allen, Judy Davis, and Angela Lansbury. These people are genuine fucking Actors with a capital "A." But they don't mind money for the studios who run these awards, so they never get more than a token nomination and three seconds on the "In Memoriam" when they croak.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2023 7:22 AM

They will always give the Oscar to a biographical portrayal, especially of a ground breaking woman. Unfortunately, Blanchett.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2023 10:49 AM

A woman no one's heard about or cares about.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2023 10:52 AM

The character is not a real person, R17. Tar is not a biopic!

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2023 10:56 AM

Of course the non-white woman is getting it. You’re delusional if you think Kate will take it. lol

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2023 10:59 AM

You forget that, in media, the only minority is not the color that Michelle is.

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2023 11:07 AM

Tar was pretty contorversial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2023 11:12 AM

More.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2023 11:13 AM

Blanchett's performance is one for the ages. Too bad Yeoh has to compete with her this particular year.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2023 4:00 PM

Diversity is code for black only. Bonus points for gay blacks.

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2023 4:16 PM

After Cate Blanchett Critics Choice speech where she blasted the fact this is a competition, like a horse race. Some voters might pause and say "If she feels that way, I'll vote for Michelle Yeoh

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2023 4:19 PM

Cate Blanchett will have years and years of good roles in the future, while Michelle Yeoh will not have as many opportunities as her to be nominated again. So if I was voting that would sway my vote to Yeoh.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2023 4:24 PM

Contrary to popular belief, nobody has ever lost an Oscar based on speeches they’ve given during the run up to the main event. Cate Blanchett is actually the queen of bad speeches and it hasn’t stopped her from racking up award after award after award.

Michelle Yeoh seems nice enough, but the Academy has no problem denying respected/beloved actresses in the perfect part (Diane Lane, Lauren Bacall, Anette Bening).

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2023 4:27 PM

R28, the corollary to that is that no one has ever won because of their speeches, either.

There seems to be this idea that once Yeoh wins this or that award, she'll give a speech so moving she'll become undeniable. EEAAO fans said this before her Globes speech but it didn't happen, and I'm sure they'll trot out the same idea if she wins SAG (and as populist as SAG is, that's still a big "if").

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2023 4:39 PM

Yeoh will get it because she's more of a minority

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2023 4:53 PM

No, the Oscar will be given to Ke Huy Quan for Supporting Actor and Hollywood will have fulfilled their non-black minority quote. Could you imagine the vitriol coming from Jada if two Asians win? Then, Hollywood can relax and give it once again to one of their own, Blanchett. Yeoh is just the wrong color.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2023 6:44 PM

[quote] They will always give the Oscar to a biographical portrayal, especially of a ground breaking woman. Unfortunately, Blanchett.

good grief...

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2023 1:58 AM

Cate blanchett out performed everybody else. She deserves all the awards. Enough with this woke nonsense

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2023 2:56 AM

Keep telling yourself that, R33. No average Academy member is going to sit through a viewing of that dreadful movie.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2023 3:02 AM

Yeoh and Curtis both need to win. EEAAO was a tour de force for all involved.

Better in so many ways than the Korean basement film that won last year.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2023 3:12 AM

[quote] Enough with this woke nonsense

Thank you for making the F&F easy.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2023 3:34 AM

#OscarsSoLezzy

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2023 3:53 AM

[quote] Are you speaking of Cate,#OscarsSoWhite, Blanchett?

Speaking recently with Vogue, nominee Cate Blanchett talked both about the issues swirling this year’s Oscars, and her feelings on Haynes missing his own shot at Oscar gold.

“I think every year it’s important to remember: A healthy Academy, a healthy industry, is a diverse industry. A monochromatic industry is never creative."

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2023 4:11 AM

Of course, the usual eldergay racists are making this about black people when this race has nothing to do with them.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2023 4:15 AM

[quote]Cate blanchett out performed everybody else. She deserves all the awards. Enough with this woke nonsense.

So funny how racists always conveniently overlook the fact that the best actress Oscar has gone to a white woman every single year except one (the year Halle Berry won), which means for all their carping about "wokeness," it's clear that just being white will greatly stack the odds in Blanchett's favor. That's not to say she isn't legitimately deserving of the award, it's just an acknowledgement of the reality that despite the Academy's noble attempts at diversity and inclusion, for the best actress category being white is still a major advantage and you're delusional if you claim otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2023 6:42 AM

It's exciting that the race is even competitive.

That said, I'd vote for Cate B. That performance blew me away. Unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2023 7:54 AM

Both got BAFTA noms but the Brits usually award their own and I think Australia is a British commonwealth. The outcome of SAG will be more determinative of what happens Oscar night.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2023 9:09 PM

^ This would prove what a crock BAFTA awards are. So biased.

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2023 8:22 AM

Michelle Williams made a surprise rebound with the nomination. However, the race is still between Blanchett and Yeoh. Yeoh still has the edge.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2023 6:42 PM

Yeoh doesn’t have shit. Cate will win her 3rd Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2023 6:43 PM

I haven't seen Tár to compare the performances, but I hope Michelle Yeoh wins. Hers was by far the best performance I did see this past year. Plus, her not even being nominated in 2001 (when I think she should have won) has always rankled me.

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2023 6:57 PM

You'd think the Academy would award one amazing and overlooked talent before they'd give a THIRD statue to an established talent, but who the fuck knows for sure?

These are the same people who gave Anthony Hopkins a second Oscar for one of his weaker roles, and gave Meryl Streep her third Oscar for a role people have since come to despise (both of these awards also effectively snubbed fan favorite nominees).

The voting process, especially now that it's gone ranked-choice, rewards mainstream mashed-potato acting. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom fucking Hanks got another Oscar for his recent pig shit movies, only because the real performances couldn't get enough of the vote from the middle.

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2023 7:40 PM

The Father wasn't one of Hopkins's weaker roles, R47. He was fantastic in the movie, and the Academy made the correct choice by voting for him instead of succumbing to maudlin sentimentality because Black Panther died of cancer.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom is an awful movie filled with hammy performances. The Academy rightfully rejected it.

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2023 7:58 PM

It’s not a lifetime achievement award - how many Oscars anybody has should be immaterial.

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2023 9:50 PM

I thought Meryl was great in "Iron Lady."

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2023 3:19 AM

The fact of the matter is, Tár will likely lose in most every category in which it’s nominated, but as a respected film the Academy will want to award it. Best Actress is the likeliest way to do that.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2023 4:29 AM

I loathe that Cunt Blanchett is attempting to pull a Daniel Day- Lewis by threatening to quit acting to nab her third Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2023 4:55 AM

[quote]R17 They will always give the Oscar to a biographical portrayal, especially of a ground breaking woman. Unfortunately, Blanchett.

By that standard it would be Ana de Arnas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2023 7:02 AM

R52 if you could’ve bothered to actually read the referenced quote instead of going into queeny hysterics you would realise that she was joking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2023 7:24 AM

R18 if you haven't heard of Michelle Yeoh, I can't help you. Her acting work would merit multiple lifetime achievement awards.

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2023 2:07 PM

EEAAO has the wind behind its backs, and Michelle will be swept to victory.

Plus, no voter wants to sit through Tar.

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2023 2:21 PM

[quote]They will always give the Oscar to a biographical portrayal, especially of a ground breaking woman.

Not always.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2023 2:26 PM

[quote]Plus, no voter wants to sit through Tar.

People could get away with this nonsense back in festival season, when it was possible that Tar might become a festival favorite that crashes and burns outside of Telluride or Toronto just like Spencer did last year. But Tar has been chugging through the season with a surprising level of support from industry groups that aren't just the highbrow snobs. Field got a DGA nomination, and that group includes a lot of television, music video and commercial directors.

Tar even outperformed The Fabelmans among the notoriously basic tech branches of the Academy, even though Michael Kahn and Janusz Kaminski should have been easy name-checks for Editing and Cinematography. Insisting that voters won't sit through Tar when the nominations clearly show that they did watch the movie and apparently really liked it is just delusional at this point.

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2023 5:41 PM

R47 you're way off. As weak as The Iron Lady is as a movie, Streep's performance was widely acclaimed and Anthony Hopkins was astonishing in The Father

Plus Tom Hanks hasn't been nominated since 2001.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2023 6:23 PM

Michelle Yeoh better take it.

I'm kinda tired of Cate's face. Like M, she doesn't know how to make herself scarce, and she's everything, everywhere, all at once.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2023 6:27 PM

Yes, the nominations for editing and cinematography show a solid level of respect for Tar, not to mention director when some pundits thought Field would be left out.

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2023 6:37 PM

R60 Some of us have an "all-natural" face to endure such exposure.

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2023 7:06 PM

R38 cate always sem to say the right things unfortunately for her she doesn't sound genuine. Nobody believes she is about diversity, or that she admires Viola, or want to work with her. In fact I don't ever remember Cate being in a movie with a diverse cast.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2023 8:07 PM

On a preferential ballot EEAAO is in big trouble. I believe reports that many of the older, more conservative potential voters switched off after the first hour (I know I did after the IRS sequence). Therefore the film will get placed either ninth or tenth on quite a few ballots. No way Yeoh wins, as a result. Ke Huy Quan might even lose in a shock win for Judd Hirsch. EEAAO is highly likely to walk home empty handed on Oscar night. And Blanchett wins Best Actress hands down.

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2023 8:15 PM

I kind of think Hirsch was very lucky to get a nom, given that his co-star Dano got better reviews and a SAG nom, but who knows? He could be a sentimental upset winner ala Don Ameche for "Cocoon."

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2023 8:22 PM

Ke Huy Quan has Supporting Actor locked down, unfortunately. Even if the preferential ballot is fatal to Everything Everywhere's chances to win Best Picture (and as much as I'd like it to lose, I don't think it's going to happen), Quan is still the overwhelming favorite.

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2023 8:44 PM

Two mass shootings in which the assailants were Asian…plus the Golden Globes becoming a superspreader event…

The Academy’s goodwill might be exhausted by the time voting winds down…which doesn’t bode well for EEAAO.

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2023 8:50 PM

I think it's still going to Blanchett this year.

I'd love for it to go to Colin Farrell for Best Actor but it's probably Fraser's.

by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2023 8:56 PM

R67, you stupid cunt

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2023 9:00 PM

Most Oscar prognosticators have determined Best Actor is the race to watch. The winners for Actress (Blanchett), Supporting Actress (Bassett), and Best Supporting Actor (Quan) are locked up. Best Actor is currently a 3-way tie (momentum has shifted from Fraser, to Butler, to now Farrell).

by Anonymousreply 70January 25, 2023 9:08 PM

Judd Hirsch should've won MY Oscar for Supporting in "Ordinary People."

But...category fraud...

by Anonymousreply 71January 25, 2023 9:29 PM

Sorry, Timothy and Judd, but Jason Robards should have won that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 72January 25, 2023 9:42 PM

R72 Jason had already won two Oscars by 1981. He was a revered stage and screen actor, and everybody knew it. He didn't need a third statue any more than Blanchett needs one this year.

I don't hear anyone taking up for Joe Pesci or Michael O'Keefe (whoever that is) in that year's running.

by Anonymousreply 73January 25, 2023 9:47 PM

I like Blanchett in Tar except the way she conducted. That didn't look authentic

by Anonymousreply 74January 25, 2023 9:54 PM

Tar is a shitty movie. The last 30-45 mins seem disjointed from the entire story. I had no idea what the fuck was going on there.

by Anonymousreply 75January 25, 2023 10:20 PM

[quote]Two mass shootings in which the assailants were Asian…plus the Golden Globes becoming a superspreader event…The Academy’s goodwill might be exhausted by the time voting winds down…which doesn’t bode well for EEAAO.

Only asshole racists such as yourself would let it affect their vote.

by Anonymousreply 76January 25, 2023 10:25 PM

R74= that bitter dyke Marin Alsop

by Anonymousreply 77January 25, 2023 10:26 PM

R67, is that what passes for wit and intelligence on GAB?

by Anonymousreply 78January 25, 2023 11:55 PM

Unfortunately that may describe a substantial subset of the Academy, R76.

[quote]Nobody believes she is about diversity, or that she admires Viola, or want to work with her. In fact I don't ever remember Cate being in a movie with a diverse cast.

She was in [italic]Thor: Ragnarok[/italic] with Idris Elba, Tessa Thompson, and Tadanobu Asano. (Plus Taika Watiti, if his claims of Māori descent aren't BS...)

by Anonymousreply 79January 26, 2023 2:26 AM

R79, she was also in Babel, where the whole point of the movie was an international cast who proved that overacting is universal in any language.

by Anonymousreply 80January 26, 2023 3:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!