Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Media coverage of Ana Walshe case draws left wing criticism

Many are riveted by the case of a missing Massachusetts woman, and the media coverage has been criticized by some over what they say is an example of “Missing White Woman Syndrome.”

Ana Walshe went missing New Year’s Day, and her husband has been arrested in connection with the case. He was charged with misleading investigators, who say they discovered potentially incriminating Google searches on his computer, including how to dispose of a woman’s body.

Ana Walshe was last seen Jan. 1, when she was expected to take a rideshare from her home in Cohasset, Massachusetts, to Boston International Airport for a flight to Washington, D.C. She commutes from her home to D.C., where she has a townhouse.

Her husband said she left home at 4 a.m. and friends say she never got on the flight. It’s not clear if she took the rideshare.

Brian Walshe did not report his wife missing until the Wednesday after her disappearance, when her employer notified police she had not shown up for work. During the arraignment, investigators said Ana’s phone last pinged at her home after Brian said she had left.

Critics — including a Boston Globe columnist — are calling the media coverage another instance of missing white woman syndrome, a term coined by the late journalist Gwen Ifill at the 2004 Unity: Journalists of Color conference.

“If there is a missing white woman, we are going to cover that every day,” Ifill said at the time.

Dr. Danielle Slakoff is an assistant professor in the division of criminal justice at Sacramento State University. She specializes in media and crime, feminist criminology and women’s issues and race/ethnicity.

Slakoff has researched how media outlets portray women and girls as victims of crime and how she says race/ethnicity may impact coverage.

She has published work on missing white woman syndrome, and she said Friday on “Dan Abrams Live” that not enough time has elapsed to say whether coverage of the Ana Walshe case falls in that category.

“She was just reported missing Jan. 4 and went missing New Year’s Day, so I think it’s just too soon to say,” Slakoff said.

In her own research of newspaper stories over a four-year period, Slakoff found missing white woman received more initial and repeated coverage than missing Black women.

“The reason that repeated coverage is important is because that means that the consumer who may not be tuning in every day … they’re still likely to see it in passing,” Slakoff said.

Syracuse University professor of communications Carol Liebler defines missing white woman syndrome as “a term that refers to the practice of news media focusing extensively on the missing persons case of white women.”

The Columbia Journalism Review created a tool called “Are You Press Worthy?” that lets people look at their so-called “press value” if they ever went missing and share their findings on social media to advocate for change and expose bias or gaps in coverage.

CJR matched about 3,600 articles from 2021 on missing people by U.S. news outlets with information including race, gender and age from the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System.

According to CJR, someone who is young, white, female and a resident of a big city will receive media coverage that is “vastly out of proportion.”

“Younger missing people do tend to get more attention, regardless of race,” Slakoff said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 29, 2023 6:34 PM

(cont.)

CJR data shows that white people have the highest chance of being covered in the news, with Black and Hispanic people having the lowest.

“For example, a white young adult woman who is reported missing in New York could be covered in 67 news stories, according to the CJR data, but a Latino male of the same age would appear in only 17. A middle-aged Black man who goes missing would be expected to receive four or fewer mentions in the press. A Black man who went missing in St. Louis, for instance, would only garner 12 news stories, while a young white woman from the same town would attract ten times the media coverage,” CJR’s Kyle Pope wrote.

When calculating Ana Walshe’s press value, the tool says she is worth 23 news stories and that coverage would be below average, due to her age. The tool breaks down how many local news outlets versus national news outlets would cover the story, along with which specific outlets are likely and not likely to report on you.

At the end of the explanation, the tool shows the pictures of four currently missing people who the CJR says have not received any press coverage at all.

The four are Adilene Arredondo, 23, last seen in Terrell County, Texas; Ja’niyah Edmonds, 16, last seen in Houston, Texas; Orlando Longmire, 63, last seen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Santos Tujin, 17, last seen in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2023 11:33 PM

Boston Globe writer gets torn to shreds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2023 11:49 PM

Fuck the woke.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2023 1:53 AM

Media covers what gets clicks, and the Ana Walshe disappearance checked many of the right boxes.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2023 1:11 PM

It’s completely true.

The media never cares about minorities when they go missing. Instead the media is obsessed solely by missing white women.

Of course white people get angry when this fact is pointed out

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2023 1:13 PM

[Quote] Fuck the woke.

Translation = let’s pretend blacks people don’t exist

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2023 1:14 PM

[Quote] Boston Globe writer gets torn to shreds.

By racists

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2023 1:15 PM

We'll only report on stories that most people aren't interested in.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2023 2:02 PM

Yeah, well, I’d rather be a minority who isn’t missing and dead, than be a white woman who is worth “x” number of news stories, because she’s missing and almost guaranteed at a 100% rate, to be dead.

Count your blessings, Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2023 2:43 PM

Bless your heart, r3,

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2023 2:53 PM

[quote]Slakoff found missing white woman received more initial and repeated coverage than missing Black women.

The reason this happens is because most missing black women have been killed by black men. And the media does everything it can to ignore and downplay violent crimes committed by blacks.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2023 2:53 PM

[Quote] The reason this happens is because most missing black women have been killed by black men. And the media does everything it can to ignore and downplay violent crimes committed by blacks.

Ahh, the right always comes up with bullshit excuses, making it all the fault of black people

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2023 7:15 PM

The truth is Americans don’t give a shit when minorities go missing. Whites don’t consider minorities real Americans

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2023 7:16 PM

Correct. The truth. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2023 7:21 PM

It doesn't help when the cops won't do their part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2023 7:33 PM

How many times must this be explained: only the most interesting, juicy, tidbit worthy missing cases get national attention. There should be more attention given to missing women of all races, but the media has ALWAYS gone with what gets them the clicks.

These thinkpieces only ever pop up when victims are front and center. It feels performative.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2023 7:42 PM

Missing White Woman Syndrome is real. Gwen Ifil knew her shit.

Missing White Little Girl Syndrome and Missing White Little Boy Syndrome are also real.

Sometimes POC people go missing and it gets coverage, but it's usually just white women and kids, with white men garnering that kind of coverage from time to time. Are there more homicidal white husbands and fathers? I don't know, probably, or maybe they're just dumber and get caught more often. Is it racist? Probably.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2023 7:51 PM

Rest assured this case won't get much attention on DL because the husband is fug, unlike Fotos Doulos or Chris what's-his-name.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2023 9:45 PM

And it's actually Missing Young Attractive White Woman syndrome because plain and/or fat missing women don't seem to hold the public's interest unless that woman is a DA or a judge or an heiress.

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2023 9:52 PM

[quote]And it's actually Missing Young Attractive White Woman syndrome because plain and/or fat missing women don't seem to hold the public's interest unless that woman is a DA or a judge or an heiress.

Poor women are also invisible, regardless of race. Media coverage of missing person cases is definitely skewed, but it also doesn't really really scratch the surface to begin with. Most missing people don't merit special reporting and the most marginalized among them might not be reported missing in a timely fashion, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2023 10:03 PM

True, R20.

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2023 11:16 PM

A sick society of scolds, constantly, sick of them.

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2023 11:30 PM

I agree that our country is still racist, but I also think that we blame everything on racism when the real culprit is classism. We have two systems in our country, one for the rich, the other for the poor, and until we come to terms with that, it will never ever stop. And we cannot keep asking leaders to fix it — they won’t. We have to fix it ourselves, bulldoze right over them.

Never stop fighting.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2023 1:17 AM

[quote]I agree that our country is still racist, but I also think that we blame everything on racism when the real culprit is classism.

Agree with this. Racism is alive and well and factors into the lack of reporting about missing persons and innocent victims of violent crime but [to a lesser degree] classism and purity politics also play a part.

I read about the missing mother of eight on DataLounge, in her case I'd say it's a combination of classism and her questionable background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2023 1:58 AM

I haven’t even heard of this lady until right now.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2023 2:01 AM

R11 nails it. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2023 2:09 AM

I think it's more a case of good looking people and successful people. It's also a "look at these crazy white men trying to get away with shit" because white men are the ones who kill their wives and give ridiculous excuses that everyone can see through. In the end, the white people look bad because they're killers and they're stupid.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2023 7:03 PM

Reporting on missing black and brown women necessarily points to a black or brown offender since almost the vast majority of violent crime is intraracial. No one cares about black and brown women more than they care about protecting black and brown men from the perception that they might be dangerous. Missing white women get covered so white men get to be the villains.

The woke are more to blame for this phenomenon than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2023 7:27 PM

[quote] Ana Walshe was last seen Jan. 1, when she was expected to take a rideshare from her home in Cohasset, Massachusetts, to Boston International Airport

Greg did it. She criticized his scrod and prune filled croquembouche.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2023 7:34 PM

Too funny - one minute ago I got a WaPo alert on my phone about someone named Ana Walshe, and her husband being charged with her murder. I immediately thought, oh another pretty young white woman must have been killed - then I come here and bam, this is the first thread I see.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2023 7:37 PM

The coverage of these stories, and of true crime in general, relies on a certain expectation of collective shock that even wealthy white women and children aren't 100% safe in their marriages and neighborhoods.

It seems so quaint. There's multiple stories like this that receive nationwide attention every year, going back to the advent of newspapers, and yet it remains a perennially pearl-clutchy subject.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2023 7:45 PM

[quote] Greg did it. She criticized his scrod and prune filled croquembouche.

I told you I was hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2023 9:02 PM

Husband has been charged with murder.

The fact he was an art scammer also makes it interesting to me:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2023 9:33 PM

He spent $450 in cleaning supplies? Granted, I've never murdered anyone, but that seems a rather high amount. I guess inflation really is impacting all sectors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2023 9:42 PM

He looks like my big toe.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2023 9:46 PM

Can someone wear attractive murder some people please I'm getting tired of all this ugly people in the news.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2023 9:48 PM

It's true that beautiful missing white women get more coverage than women of color, a legacy of enduring racism, but this story is fucking riveting, regardless of ethnicity. The the ethnicity it does touch though, is of Eastern European immigrants striving for success. This article made me feel great sadness for Ana.

Ana had a social media presence depicting a life of success, glamour, courage, and optimism. Behind the scene was stress, fear, dysfunction, and trauma. The husband is a conman, the wife a person trying to succeed while mired in negative drama. A week before she disappeared she pled with her mother in Serbia to come to be with her. Her mother's reaction, in the linked article, shows she didn't have much of a support system. We can't believe the public personas of people on social media. Facades, fronts, and embellished image to distract from truth.

From the link: "Her mother, Milanka Ljubicic, of Belgrade, Serbia, told Fox News that her daughter had pleaded with her to come to the United States in late December, just a week before her disappearance. “Clearly,” Ljubicic said in an interview, “there must have been some problems.”

That's an understatement. Tragic young mother married to a monster. Three childless children, where will they go?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2023 5:07 PM

[quote]This article made me feel great sadness for Ana.

[quote]Ana had a social media presence depicting a life of success, glamour, courage, and optimism. Behind the scene was stress, fear, dysfunction, and trauma.

MARY!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2023 5:10 PM

Missing White Woman Syndrome is not new. The young and pretty ones get more attention than any others.

"fuck the woke" - ugh, please bash your own head in with a crowbar. Only truly brain deficient people yelp "woke! woke" like the low IQ critters that they are.....

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2023 5:12 PM

I'm a bit of a true crime buff but it has to be a very interesting case to get my interest. This seems pretty clear-cut so not sure why it's getting too much attention. The husband killed the wife during some type of fight--if premeditated he would have bought the cleaning stuff way in advance.

so, gotta agree with the liberals on this woman. It's just an angry dude killing his wife. No reason to cover it other than she was a hot, white, young mother.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2023 5:19 PM

R38, maybe. But the life she led, married to a creepy conman, three kids under age 6, and working full time while trying to hold it all together, sounds like a nightmare to me. Ugh!

No one would be jealous of her now, with all her white-skinned, manicured, slender beauty and trappings of wealth. Murdered people, no matter sex or race, are a group nobody wants to join. It's just that some murders, due to wealth and supposed glamour, draw more attention. It shatters our illusions of what we think are enviable lives.

Sadly, murder news is a national past-time in the US. Just watch the ID or Oxygen channels for a day or two and the amount of murders committed is astounding. It's not just white murders, many people of color are covered, too. There are so many murders of young women of all races, there isn't enough media space to cover them all. The young, beautiful, with sensational circumstances like the Idaho murders, grab the media and public eyes.

The problem is with murderous, violent men. Where the fuck do all those monsters come from?

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2023 5:26 PM

I am a 51 yo White male in the Midwest. I am worth 24 articles.

"A maximum of 20.4% of Americans would hear about you. You would reach 92.4% of the country if you were a 22 year old white female living in Nevada."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2023 5:45 PM

[quote]Where the fuck do all those monsters come from?

r41: based on the pics at r33 and r34, the sewers

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2023 5:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2023 5:53 PM

This is not nearly so bad as it was 18 years or so ago when Natalee Holloway disappeared--that was the worst case of Missing White Woman Syndrome ever. The TV tabloid shows were nearly hysterical about that case.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2023 5:59 PM

I haven’t paid this white woman any attention at all.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2023 6:03 PM

She dead

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2023 6:58 PM

[quote]According to the prosecutor, surveillance video captured Brian Walshe tossing heavy bags into dumpsters in Abington and in Swampscott and cell phone data showed he visited a dumpster near his mother’s home in Swampscott.

[quote]Further, in the days after her disappearance, Brian Walshe allegedly made a series of unsavory Google searches, including on his son’s iPad: “Ten ways to dispose of a dead body if you really need to,” “dismemberment and the best ways to dispose of a body,” “can you be charged with murder without a body,” and “can you identify a body with broken teeth,” according to the prosecutor.

After all these years, people who commit murder are STILL stupid enough to do shit like this. You might as well lead the police right to your front door.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2023 7:06 PM

The Natalee Holloway coverage was completely insane, you would've thought the President had gone missing the way the media carried on about it.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2023 7:28 PM

This guy was a criminal mastermind!

He Googled: "Ten ways to dispose of a dead body if you really need to,” “dismemberment and the best ways to dispose of a body,” “can you be charged with murder without a body,” and “can you identify a body with broken teeth.”

Apparently he wanted a divorce, but decided this was a better plan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2023 7:28 PM

I can't believe he didn't clear his cache.

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2023 7:30 PM

Why hasn't the missing, likely dead Filipina woman here in SD gotten national coverage. Pretty little lady most likely murdered by her husband. His trial is going on now and is covered daily on local news.

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2023 7:38 PM

R49, Tell me about it. Thank God for 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2023 7:39 PM

Probably because no one really pays attention to SD r52.

by Anonymousreply 54January 18, 2023 10:01 PM

R51, clearing your cache doesn't help. It all lives on in the recesses of your devices and in the cloud. Deleted items and cleared history don't go away. It's why devices are seized during criminal investigations, phones, desktop hard drives, cameras, they all keep your secrets unless you smash them to bits with a sledgehammer. And still there's the cloud.

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2023 2:42 AM

R55, Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2023 2:44 AM

DL icon, Dan Abrams tore into the liberal media for pulling the race card over this. Do we still love Dan?

by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2023 2:50 AM

Well, I guess the liberal media can scramble around looking for missing women of color to feature in upcoming news coverage.

It gives me mixed feelings. Extensive coverage of missing black women killed by raging black men and you might fuel a stereotype and engender racial fear amongst an already unequal society.

It's like posting a picture of a Mammy cookie jar and being called racist, but post a picture of a fat white lady cookie jar and no one blinks an eye. It's another feature of white privilege. One white murderer doesn't mean all white men are murders. Bigotry allows people to think that coverage of black killers means all black men cannot be trusted. White privilege allows whites to view depraved white people without worrying about the effect on themselves. People of color do not have that privilege, they are often assumed to be depraved too. As Scum Trump said "They're sending people that have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Coverage of attractive women has the positive effect, though, of getting people out to search and look for them, as well as increased tips to police. Sadly, most women of color don't get that benefit and many, if not most, missing victims are found dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 19, 2023 3:13 AM

When black women get killed it's usually by one of their babydaddies in a drug-fueled rage. It's really the same thing over and over with black people. Sorry to say, but most people are just like "what can you expect?"

Middle Class/Upper Middle Class/ Wealthy white women getting killed strips the veneer off of the "perfect life" of privilege and shows us that even that level of society can have psychopaths. It's more disturbing and shocking.

To put it another way:

A) Carbi B is shot and killed by one of her former pimps

B) Reese Witherspoon is bludgeoned to death by her superagent husband Jim Toth in their Malibu compound.

Which story would be more shocking and receive more media coverage?

by Anonymousreply 59January 19, 2023 3:22 AM

R45, Natalee Holloway wasn’t even attractive, but Van Der Sloot was HOT. His father was also fuckable. Lots of facets to that story. The Holloways had MONEY, which also helped them keep her in the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 60January 19, 2023 5:00 AM

Today was the first I heard of this story.

by Anonymousreply 61January 19, 2023 5:09 AM

Race is a huge factor but as others have said, so is class, age, and appearance. An unattractive white female junkie over 40 from some shithole town wouldn't get much press either.

by Anonymousreply 62January 19, 2023 5:44 AM

[quote]The media never cares about minorities when they go missing. Instead the media is obsessed solely by missing white women. Of course white people get angry when this fact is pointed out

The media covers the more photogenic, wealthy (upper class) people, who don't have a lot of baggage. They want an easy story to report on. They don't want a bunch of shady people (from the victims family/friends) fucking up the story, and opening the media to misreporting, getting played and looking like fools. And that's what you get with lower income people.

They want a simple story that doesn't require a lot of work or investigating. They want a story where the police have time to do a lot of investigating. Police in low income areas don't have a lot of time. They won't devote as much time to missing person case.

by Anonymousreply 63January 19, 2023 7:36 AM

[quote]DL icon, Dan Abrams tore into the liberal media for pulling the race card over this. Do we still love Dan?

Fuck him. His own network is covering this story day and night. He's covered it too. He needs to take his own damned advice first, before he criticises anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 64January 19, 2023 7:47 AM

This guy was so dumb (but did have some smarts or just luck in disposing of the body). Don't some of these men ever watch a crime show? This guy didn't even have a job. He doesn't sit around and least watch some episodes of Law & Order?

Idiot Husband Killer 101

1. always have damning searches on their computers

2. ALWAYS go to Walmart or Home Depot for clean up supplies.

3. bring their phones with them while disposing of the body

by Anonymousreply 65January 19, 2023 7:57 AM

If you're egotistical enough to kill your wife (rather than just, I don't know, divorcing her), then you're egotistical enough to think you'll get away with it r65

by Anonymousreply 66January 19, 2023 9:15 AM

When Naya Rivera was missing it was national news. If Halle Berry was missing it would grip the nation's attention.

by Anonymousreply 67January 19, 2023 1:54 PM

R67. You are a fkin idiot. Naya went missing in what was quite obvious a tragic accident from the beginning. Foul play was never suspected.

by Anonymousreply 68January 19, 2023 2:02 PM

When white posters attempt to whitesplain this incident, it only makes them sound tone deaf and disdainful and dismissive of POC.

Stay classy, Datalounge. 😒🙄

by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2023 3:12 PM

It's really more about class than race. A white bumpkin killing his meth addicted white wife would interest nobody.

by Anonymousreply 70January 19, 2023 3:22 PM

[quote] I read about the missing mother of eight on DataLounge, in her case I'd say it's a combination of classism and her questionable background.

I've been following that case off and on since last month and I agree, it's a good example of classism in the media. To be fair, Michigan media news oulets have been covering the case, but it probably won't get national level type coverage like the Ana Walshe case.

by Anonymousreply 71January 19, 2023 3:32 PM

whitesplain

blacksplain

asiansplain

hisplanic splain

aliensplain

humansplain

gaysplain

womansplain

mansplain

childsplain

immigrantsplain

liarsplain

humansplain

Pick your category. Doesn't matter really, we all have so much in common. So what if we want to share our point of view. All are valid based on our life experiences.

Maybe we start awkwardly but discussion and learning other's opinions can be enlightening.

by Anonymousreply 72January 19, 2023 4:21 PM

Eshplain

by Anonymousreply 73January 19, 2023 4:23 PM

[quote] Natalee Holloway wasn’t even attractive, but Van Der Sloot was HOT. His father was also fuckable. Lots of facets to that story. The Holloways had MONEY, which also helped them keep her in the spotlight.

I agree, Holloway wasn't an attractive woman. She was quite plain looking.

Ana Walshe wasn't ugly, but she wasn't extremely attractive either. Her chin was weird and in some pics you can she caked on the makeup. Like the Holloway case, class played a factor in the media attention. I wouldn't be surprised if Ana was a Karen type cunt who verbally abused people working retail or in food services. The smug smile in some pics gives that vibe.

by Anonymousreply 74January 19, 2023 6:32 PM

[quote]I wouldn't be surprised if Ana was a Karen type cunt who verbally abused people working retail or in food services. The smug smile in some pics gives that vibe.

Oh do fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 75January 19, 2023 6:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 20, 2023 3:00 PM

Unfortunately the majority is going to have more concern about their own. Unfair but true. A harsh reality. POC has to publicize our missing people and unsolved murders. It’s the only way.

by Anonymousreply 77January 20, 2023 3:59 PM

Boston already has another story to hold its interest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 25, 2023 9:29 PM

Unfortunately those that bring this issue up seem only to care about it when there's a popular case in the news. They say nothing in between stories. That's the thing I don't like about this topic -- it comes across like it's just about knocking these victims down a peg. There's also this fucked up air of bitterness to it with the "pretty white woman" thing tossed around, desire the fact that you know... They are fucking dead for goodness sake...

I don't bring up my race much on here, but we're notorious for missing people, which are largely ignored. I see many Whites bring it up, but always to virtue signal. They don't get the complexities within the community they "advocate" for though. For ex; some groups having distrust of the law/ authorities (justly so btw). This makes it tough for outsiders to get involved in investigations. There's also fear of being labeled as a group if a lot of crimes are being perpetrator by someone from the inside.

I absolutely agree it's not okay for anyone to be ignored by the media. That exposure is very important. I guess I'm just saying I'd like to see now than lip service though every time another case pops up. No one is stopping the media, or even online advocates, from getting that info out there.

by Anonymousreply 79January 26, 2023 2:51 AM

Nor is anyone stopping them from writing articles like this when there's no high profile victim to pick on. It's disrespectful to use a specific murder victim, that was a very real person (a mom, a wife, a daughter, etc), as some kind of twisted mascot for societal racism. I mean, this woman's body hasn't even found yet. I'd be pissed if my loved one was used as an example to rile people up when I still don't know where they are.

Again, the answer is to not ignore it in between these popular cases. You have to keep reminded the public there's a lot of people that go missing every single day. Everyone can do their part by blowing up local stories they feel need attention. They can call their local news. We all have a megaphone these days with the internet.

by Anonymousreply 80January 26, 2023 3:03 AM

God I am so sick of the aggrieved white supremacist idiots whining about "wokeness" on DataLounge.

Just shut up.

by Anonymousreply 81January 26, 2023 3:17 AM

What's also alarming is the sheer number of people of all ethnicities murdered every day in the U.S. Mass shootings, workplace shootings, domestic murder, death by police, hate crimes, road rage, robbery, burglary, murder by hire, random murders on hiking trails. It's endless. Several cable channels cover murder stories 24/7.

Murder has become entertainment. When someone goes missing in a community the initial reaction is to find that person and the community steps in and helps. As the stories gain traction, they become entertainment for many outside the community and inside as well. Scott and Lacey Peterson for example. It's hard to find a more lurid tale than that one.

There are a few true crime sometimes I watch. My preference is for the wealthy, greedy, dysfunctional murders. The ethnicity does not matter, it's what should be successful happy lives gone tragic that pull me in.

I am not interested in murder stories about young women of any race killed by random perverts, the elderly, or people of color living in challenging circumstances. Those stories are unbearably sad. These are vulnerable people, to see their dreams and contentment crushed is heartbreaking.

Not that it's not sad when privileged people are slaughtered, it is. It's the bizarre behavior of the killers that is of most interest to me. Sociopaths, greedy, vengeful, idiots, etc, what's wrong with people anyway? Humans gone horribly wrong, a very common story.

by Anonymousreply 82January 29, 2023 6:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!