Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gail Strickland - Why I Retired From Acting

Known for her roles in The Drowning Pool with Paul Newman; Norma Rae with Sally Field; and the classic Sienfeld episode, Strickland disappeared from the public

Now we know why. She retired from acting because she suffers from spasmodic dysphonia - a neurologic disorder that affects the voice and speech.

Rare video where she comes back into the spotlight to talk about living this disability

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2023 9:39 PM

Gail also played a lead role as a lesbian MD on tv’s Heartbeat, a medical show in the late 1980s.

The clip below shows Gail and her girlfriend in domestic bliss. It is shameful: Gail dumps some pasta into the sink, assumably into a strainer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2023 7:42 PM

She played a drunk in an episode of MASH on TV.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2023 7:43 PM

I remember that episode of MASH, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2023 7:44 PM

She has a freakout from the DT's.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2023 7:46 PM

I prefer Gayle Hunnicutt

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2023 7:49 PM

In MASH she was already shaking from the disease so her character having the DT's is a bit ironic.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2023 7:50 PM

Considering she wasn't diagnosed with the disease for another 10-12 years after she did MASH, I would guess it was an acting choice instead.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2023 7:54 PM

Gail also played a recurring character on The Bob Newhart Show. She was a love interest of the Jerry Robinson character.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2023 8:00 PM

It hasn’t stopped that Kennedy loon.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2023 8:00 PM

Here's the MASH episode. Her voice is a bit shaky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2023 8:01 PM

I have SD too, and I'm a perpetually-frowny, backstabbing CUNT of a US Senator. You don't see ME quitting, do youse?

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2023 8:02 PM

"She played a drunk in an episode of MASH on TV."

Funny how the alcoholism of almost all the male characters was no big whoop, but...

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2023 8:28 PM

I believe Diane Rehm suffered from this, too.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2023 9:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!