Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gas stoves

What have I missed?

Endless memes on Facebook.

What's going on?

by Anonymousreply 242January 24, 2023 10:37 PM

Will they be outlawed soon?

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2023 8:02 PM

I don't get the focus on just gas stoves. Aren't gas water heaters and gas heaters just as bad?

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2023 8:02 PM

Gas stoves are awesome. My friend bought an electric stove and hates it. Wishes he kept his gas stove.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2023 8:04 PM

Gas ovens are far superior to electric ovens.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2023 8:05 PM

Is Biden trying to gaslight the voters before election year?

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2023 8:07 PM

New studies show they cause asthma in children, some places (mostly liberal cities) are moving to ban them in new construction. Republicans are twisting this into "they're coming to take our gas ovens away" when literally no one is planning that. Lather rinse repeat and the latest viral right wing talking point is born.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2023 8:09 PM

I have cooked in them for years and they were definitely a feature I looked for when looking for a house in 2019. But there has been a conscious effort to vilify them over the last few years. I’m almost ashamed to admit I have one.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2023 8:09 PM

The emissions from gas stoves are a health concern according to experts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2023 8:09 PM

It's the latest from the right wing outrage machine. That means you can expect to see all sorts of trollish posts here on DL about gas ovens being "vilified."

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2023 8:11 PM

I'm cooking pasta on a gas stove. I will drain it when it is done.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2023 8:12 PM

I love gas stoves. Electric ovens are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2023 8:13 PM

You're going to drain the gas out of the stove after you finished cooking your pasta ?

See, that's where replacing it with an electric stove makes more sense. No draining necessary.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2023 8:14 PM

R6, come on, honey. Read this article from CNN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2023 8:15 PM

So Republicans WANT their children to have asthma and health problems?

Interesting....

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2023 8:21 PM

I don’t believe for a second it causes health issues. Please.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2023 8:22 PM

Why don't you come on, R13, and read the damn article you posted:

[quote]"Trumka confirmed to CNN that “everything’s on the table” when it comes to gas stoves, but stressed that any ban would apply only to new gas stoves, not existing ones."

Watch out for these trolls. They're relentless and they live to stoke anger and obscure the facts.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2023 8:22 PM

R15 no one cares what you "believe." You sound moronic.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2023 8:23 PM

R15 you don’t want to believe….

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2023 8:23 PM

What is one doesn't have any children? Also, what about all of the natural gas-powered city buses that have popped up over the last 20 or so years, supposedly being better for the environment than their gasoline guzzling, polluting counterparts? This seems very Nanny State.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2023 8:24 PM

R10 ^ is going to hades after desert.

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2023 8:25 PM

Ban em. They’re dangerous anyway if a burner is accidentally left on.

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2023 8:29 PM

R3 I don't blame your friend. Bought a house that uses electric for everything and I'm not going to lie, I hate cooking on an electric stove. It's actually made me hate cooking and eating at home. To be fair; it's an old one and I've heard the new conduction tops can make a big difference. I do however think it's interesting that most restaurants and high end chefs seem to use gas. Any culinary professionals that can weigh in?

Side note; I do think it's getting too pushy about going all electric in general. Especially after all those outages from extreme weather. I'm not sure we're ready with people struggling and the lack of initiative overhauling the current infrastructure. Always thought we'd work on it by first redoing how we get electric (windmills, solar, etc), THEN go forward with cars, utilities, etc.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2023 8:29 PM

Electric isn’t the way to go. And r22 he has a new one. He still hates it. He barely cooks now because he hates it.

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2023 8:34 PM

They should BAN those god awful Yankee Candles!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2023 8:38 PM

R23 damn that's disappointing to hear, but thanks for sharing. I was hoping it would make difference because there's something about cooking on them that isn't the same. I'm going on 3 yrs of it and still can't wait till spring to use a grill. Of course if there's something out there that shows this is going to be life changing for the world, I'd say suck it up, but I worry it's not that simple when we are so far behind with our electric grids. I think 60% is generated via fossil fuels and we still have plenty of areas where too many using A/C causes issues. I can't imagine if everyone had electric cars, heating, etc all at once.

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2023 8:49 PM

Also frustrating that we can't ask questions or have proper debates these days because you got one side (the right) that goes off the deep end about everything. Instead of them having good reasons behind asking questions, right away they spin it as some commie plot to control them. Guess gas companies are paying off "influencers" to come up with all sorts of dumb reasons to be against it ("now the gov wants to tell you how to cook!") No normal responses about expenses, the change to the grid, concern about adding extensive infrastructure for renewable energy, etc. Just them immediately jumping to conspiracies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2023 8:58 PM

To me this is like four years ago, when suddenly the villain is climate change became plastic straws, and every coffee shop and convenience store banned them.

only afterwards did we hear plastic straws were not really that big of a deal.

by Anonymousreply 27January 13, 2023 9:01 PM

[quote]Republicans are twisting this into "they're coming to take our gas ovens away"

TOO SOON!

by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2023 9:05 PM

The restaurants I go to automatically drop off straws on the table just like they used to - without anyone asking. And the Dunkin' drive-thrus I go to automatically give me a straw for my iced beverage, without me even asking - even though the sign which says 'straws given upon request per state law' is taped right in front of them on the window.

by Anonymousreply 29January 13, 2023 9:07 PM

Would they grandfather all the ones currently being used? And only make a home change it out when it's sold or something? As I recall, that's what they did with the low-flow toilets.

There was a local article about how this would affect Asian restaurants in L.A., and someone wrote don't panic, as it would only affect new builds.

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2023 9:08 PM

I have an induction stove, and I HATE it. I miss my gas stove at my last house.

by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2023 9:11 PM

[QUOTE]I have cooked in them for years

You must be well done by now.

by Anonymousreply 32January 13, 2023 9:15 PM

R30, only for new construction as of now.

Though Hochul in NY wants to outlaw them by the end of the decade. SMDH.

by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2023 9:16 PM

NYC is also banning gas heat in all new construction. When I lived in NYC apartments for over two decades I never had to pay for heat. If new buildings go all electric, will residents have to pay for their electric heat? They're going to get $500+ monthly bills. My electric bills always went up by at least $100 in the summer months I had to run a window a/c.

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2023 9:16 PM

[quote]I have cooked in them for years

[quote]You must be well done by now.

That’s not funny. I’m sorry, T hat’s not funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2023 9:17 PM

Gas stoves are preferred by chefs because of temperature control, or at least that's one reason. They get hot or not immediately. Maybe the new ones are better but my electric stove takes forever to get high heat and then when I want to lower it I have to take the pan off the stove for a minute while the coils cool down. Chefs don't want that time-consuming hassle.

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2023 9:17 PM

Yet having pit bulls remains legal. They make wonderful asthma medications now. Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2023 9:17 PM

You know what else causes asthma and respiratory illnesses, skin disorders, and cancer? Cheap ass flooring products, furniture, Chinese drywall.

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2023 9:20 PM

Chinese drywall?

Do you have to put it up again an hour after?

by Anonymousreply 39January 13, 2023 9:23 PM

My electric oven cooks thing just fine.

What are you pretentious fools on about?

by Anonymousreply 40January 13, 2023 9:27 PM

Electric ovens are for the poors.

by Anonymousreply 41January 13, 2023 9:29 PM

R34 yes, you would have to pay because it wouldn’t be a gas bill anymore (which landlords pay, not tenants) and now all be on your electricity bill. That is really why they wanna do away with gas.

by Anonymousreply 42January 13, 2023 9:33 PM

Electric is actually superior, for the oven. The cooktop is a toss-up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 13, 2023 9:35 PM

[quote](which landlords pay, not tenants)

And landlords are too dumb to pass that cost on to tenants?

by Anonymousreply 44January 13, 2023 9:36 PM

R28 Anne Frank died of typhus.

by Anonymousreply 45January 13, 2023 9:37 PM

You must be a hit at parties, r45.

by Anonymousreply 46January 13, 2023 9:39 PM

R46 Yeah, at the parties I go to we don't think Jews being exterminated in gas ovens is the laugh riot you think it is, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2023 9:44 PM

Government overreach. This is what causes Americans not to vote for you.

by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2023 9:44 PM

[quote] Electric is actually superior, for the oven. The cooktop is a toss-up.

We’ll rely on our own experience, thanks. Not some paid study by electric companies.

by Anonymousreply 49January 13, 2023 9:45 PM

R47, you may be a little too sensitive for Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 50January 13, 2023 9:49 PM

[quote]I don’t believe for a second it causes health issues. Please.

Why? You’re literally starting a fire inside your house. If you think about it, it’s downright Stone Age-ish.

And people still carping about electric are probably still using glass-top electrics and confusing the two. Because if you’ve ever used a new Gaggenau or Miele or even Thermador induction cooktop, you’d know they’re quicker to heat and respond, and more precise than gas.

Also, there are a number of restaurants moving to induction because it makes for a better, cooler kitchen experience and requires less costly ventilation than gas.

by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2023 9:55 PM

R44 are you in NYC? That’s a law. Tenants don’t pay gas here.

by Anonymousreply 52January 13, 2023 9:56 PM

An electric oven is more consistent but an electric stove top sucks. As pointed out when you need to lower the heat on the stove it takes a few minutes to lower the temp on an electric stove, but with gas you just turn the flame down. And it's hot as soon as you turn it on.

I can't have gas where I live (too much bedrock made it impossible to run a gas line and I don't want a godawful ugly giant propane tank visible on my property). I hate cooking on an electric stove and the flat top induction range I got a couple of years ago is the worst. The glass top always looks dirty. I would have stuck with the old fashioned coils had anyone warned me.

by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2023 9:56 PM

R50 I don't think shoehorning in a 'joke' about genocide on this thread is funny either. Doesn't mean I'm gonna start bawling and call Muriel.

by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2023 9:59 PM

[quote]An electric oven is more consistent but an electric stove top sucks.

You’re the second person that mentioned this. I wonder why the oven is more consistent. Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2023 9:59 PM

just had a repairman in for my gas stove (the oven actually) which quit heating up at all. Burners on top working fine. he went away to find replacement igniters for the broiler and oven. It will cost about $400.

it's an old Bosch gas stove, probably about 10 years old --- a quick internet search shows me that a replacement would be north of $2500 for the cheapest model. I will pay the $400 gladly. I cook and bake a lot...would absolutely hate an electric replacement.

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2023 10:00 PM

Electricity is undependable. Several times in the past few years my kitchen gas range has kept the house livable during winter power outages, Never ONCE have I seen the gas fail.

[quote] Government overreach

Self-righteous social engineering is our 𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘥'𝘦𝘵𝘳𝘦

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2023 10:41 PM

What backwoods bullshit cabin do you keep your fat ass in r57?

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2023 11:01 PM

r58 I'm not r57 but I'll tell you that my "backwoods bullshit studio" is located an hour north of San Fransisco (in the state of CALIFORNIA, in case you were unaware of your geography) and since 2017, we've had MANY power outages, whether because of weather or because PG&E turned off our power for planned outages. I live in a well-populated area, and many surrounding cities and counties have also suffered from the same outages.

And to make sure you don't think it's just here, my relative in New York has had a few power outages since November as well because of weather. We have gas stoves and have been able to cook during those outages.

Maybe do some research before flapping your gums.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2023 11:10 PM

Ice makers, gas stoves, should I watch this cowboy show — DL really has gone full retard.

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2023 11:14 PM

What have you missed?

How about Big Fossil protecting its oil and gas prices against the shift to renewables.

Booga-Booga

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2023 11:14 PM

I use an electric coil stove and am happy with it. I've had gas stoves before. If you live in a hot climate and want to run a fan in your kitchen, gas is not great. The fan(s) will blow the flames of your gas stove (uneven heat).

I'd like to have induction at some point. I'll probably buy a single burner and see how I like it.

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2023 11:33 PM

Just the latest MAGA sparkler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2023 11:53 PM

You lookin at me?

by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2023 11:54 PM

It's not about cooking it's a about heating.

by Anonymousreply 65January 13, 2023 11:58 PM

This is worth a read as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2023 12:02 AM

[quote]As pointed out when you need to lower the heat on the stove it takes a few minutes to lower the temp on an electric stove

No, it doesn't take "a few minutes". I have an electric coil stove and the heat is very easily regulatable. I have only had gas in one place I lived (many years ago) and I did like cooking with it (on the stovetop, not the oven) - and of course it does turn down or up immediately, since it's a flame. But I don't miss it, either. Electric is fine, and you adjust to the medod you use (if it's too hot, you take the pan off the burner for 10 seconds, or whatever).

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2023 12:05 AM

*method

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2023 12:06 AM

That article has been around for months.

I'm the person with the gas stove in CA. I cook and bake and for cooking, gas is great. The electric coils suck eggs and I've used both extensively during my life. Baking can be a crap shoot depending on if it's heating evening. My friend spent quite a lot for her oven (double oven with convection, beautiful cooktop). I lived with her for about a year and we both baked quite often. I noticed when I made cakes, cookies, muffins, basically anything with a rising agent, one side of the item would raise higher than the other during baking (when item was placed in the middle of the oven) indicating uneven heating. She also had no way to clean a spill that was sandwiched in between the front glass panes without paying a fortune for a repair person.

I have heard great things about the new induction cooktops and would actually love to try them. I guess you'd then have an electric oven? If it came with convection, I'd probably like that. I'd hope the newer induction cooktops would live up their hype though. That said, if you have an extended power outage (which we've had here for days at time, thanks PG&E), you're screwed.

by Anonymousreply 69January 14, 2023 12:10 AM

^^*heating EVENLY, not evening

by Anonymousreply 70January 14, 2023 12:11 AM

Jinx knows best...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 14, 2023 12:14 AM

Is this the Fox News Facebook group?

by Anonymousreply 72January 14, 2023 12:19 AM

It's dangerous to heat a home with a gas fired kitchen oven.

by Anonymousreply 73January 14, 2023 12:28 AM

It's more dangerous to freeze when the electricity is out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 14, 2023 12:31 AM

Julia...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2023 12:34 AM

I always thought my oven was gas. Years into it, I checked—it’s electric!!

by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2023 12:51 AM

What's wrong with induction stoves? We are gutting our kitchen soon and planning to go with induction.

by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2023 12:52 AM

^Nothing. What brand are you getting?

by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2023 12:53 AM

R14 - the GOP want fossil fuel mining to continue and grow unabated. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2023 12:58 AM

R78 deciding between LG and Bosch. Don't know which models, that's the husband's department:-)

by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2023 1:00 AM

Bosch R80. There is no comparison between those two brands. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2023 1:04 AM

r79, it is because fossil fuel mining is a source of their Dark Money, is the why.

by Anonymousreply 82January 14, 2023 1:05 AM

Yes, r79, between those guide him to Bosch. But also drop Miele into the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 83January 14, 2023 1:11 AM

*r78

by Anonymousreply 84January 14, 2023 1:11 AM

100% yes R82.

by Anonymousreply 85January 14, 2023 1:14 AM

I'm sorry to be the truth fairy but its dangerous to attempt to heat a home with gas-fired oven without a lot of air ventilation which counteracts the attempt to heat your place up. Why don't you look into installing a wood burning stove, properly installed and vented, as your emergency back up. Or an outside generator of some sort. I hope you have carbon monoxide alarms.

by Anonymousreply 86January 14, 2023 1:20 AM

Holy fuck! Who is using their gas stove top as a heater R86?

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2023 1:26 AM

Seriously r86 where did anyone say they were using a gas stove for heat?!

by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2023 1:32 AM

I wanted to switch to an electric oven, but Ted wouldn’t let me.

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2023 1:38 AM

Some dumb stubborn sucker up thread, R88

by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2023 1:43 AM

And when there’s a power failure, then what?

by Anonymousreply 91January 14, 2023 1:58 AM

Lots of homes are becoming their own little power plants these days, with solar, battery backup, and regular old NG generators incorporated into the mix. Everything automatically and seamlessly switches over in the event of a power outage.

by Anonymousreply 92January 14, 2023 2:01 AM

It'd kinda like being off grid, but connected...

by Anonymousreply 93January 14, 2023 2:38 AM

Induction is great, not because its performance characteristics mimic gas, but because cleanup is a breeze.

That’s why I’m really liking induction cooking.

That plus the safety aspects and the cooler kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 94January 14, 2023 7:31 AM

If you need a new range or cooktop to replace your electric one, changing to induction for either is easy since the 220V circuit is already in place.

by Anonymousreply 95January 14, 2023 11:09 AM

R94 tips on cleanup is a breeze please? I find it the complete opposite. Anything that lands on the stove is burned and seared to the surface. Anything that boils over is seared to the surface. I clean up afterwards once the cooktop cools off. I use a spray and sponge scrubber specifically for glass top stoves. I can’t always get the burned bits off completely and the surface always looks streaky.

by Anonymousreply 96January 14, 2023 12:41 PM

I like having backups for energy. If everything is electric, nothing works when the electricity is out for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 97January 14, 2023 12:56 PM

The government has no business telling Americans how to make dinner - the GOP

The government has every right to tell women what do do with their bodies - also the GOP

by Anonymousreply 98January 14, 2023 1:00 PM

R96 I don't think you have an induction stove, but rather a glass-topped electric cooktop.

With induction, the cooktop remains cool. Only the pans get hot using the electro-magnetic current.

by Anonymousreply 99January 14, 2023 1:17 PM

r9, You don't have an induction range or cooktop. You must have a smooth top electric range or cooktop. Foods do not burn or sear to the surface with induction.

You can place a piece of paper under the a boiling pot and it cannot catch fire.

Check out this image:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 14, 2023 1:20 PM

^^ For r96

by Anonymousreply 101January 14, 2023 1:20 PM

I have a highish end gas stove. The previous owners installed when they were renovating the house.

I figure if we need to change the stove one day, we’d change to induction. Otherwise we’ll keep the gas one.

I think New York has a new law about mandating electric/induction for new apts

by Anonymousreply 102January 14, 2023 1:21 PM

The only drawback to induction is you can't just use any pots and pans. They have to be copper or stainless steel.

Sometimes I like using grandma's cast iron to cook with.

by Anonymousreply 103January 14, 2023 1:23 PM

Gas ovens are superior!

by Anonymousreply 104January 14, 2023 1:30 PM

^ I feel bad that I guffawed at that

by Anonymousreply 105January 14, 2023 1:58 PM

R103, you can use cast iron on induction. You can’t use copper. Stainless steel is usable if it’s induction compatible.

Looking it at this thread it’s no wonder people hate induction. They know nothing about it.

by Anonymousreply 106January 14, 2023 2:23 PM

Learn something

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 14, 2023 2:32 PM

Both here and on Twitter, I've seen people insist that a gas stove kept them warm during power outages in the winter. Surely these are not people who turn on the burners and use it like a fireplace, right?

by Anonymousreply 108January 14, 2023 3:03 PM

Some of the comments I've seen on Reddit have been pointing out that many modern homes with gas stoves aren't properly ventilated, which also contributes to the problem. I would believe it too, considering how many homes I've been in that have the standard gas stove with a microwave over top of it, and all the fan does is blow the air around, it doesn't suck the fumes out of the house to an external vent of any sort.

Yes, there are some niceties of having a gas range (roasting peppers on them comes to mind), but if I were building a new home for myself I would go with induction. Thus far, two homes in my neighborhood have been completely obliterated due to gas leaks. You can always invest in a good battery backup power supply for your home if you're concerned about power outages.

Obviously restaurants would get hit the hardest with these restrictions, but they are also far better ventilated than the average home, so maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 109January 14, 2023 3:39 PM

I don’t know this to be the case so I’m just guessing but I would think restaurants would be exempt.

by Anonymousreply 110January 14, 2023 3:55 PM

If they are doing that R108, I suspect that they are a dying breed...

I've an induction hob, just as good as a gas one to cook with just without all the particulates and carton monoxide. Induction is absolutely nothing like those old fashioned hotplate hobs that would take 10 minutes to warm up and as controllable as a DL troll account, heat level is as instant as with gas.

by Anonymousreply 111January 14, 2023 4:08 PM

My Bosch gas cook top is a piece of shit.

The temperature control knobs literally melted and 3/5 of the ignitors don't work--I have to light my burners with a lighter.

by Anonymousreply 112January 14, 2023 4:10 PM

With a gas burner, don't hang a thermometer over the side of pot whose temp you're measuring -- you'll melt the thermometer handle.

by Anonymousreply 113January 14, 2023 4:22 PM

R6- The real problem is our natural gas reserves are depleting rapidly so now they’re starting to say how dangerous natural gas is.

by Anonymousreply 114January 14, 2023 4:29 PM

R19 a maga will harm its own child if it thinks it will “own the libs”

by Anonymousreply 115January 14, 2023 4:34 PM

[quote] If everything is electric, nothing works when the electricity is out for some reason.

You can plug things into a generator.

by Anonymousreply 116January 14, 2023 4:41 PM

How long before we are told that induction stoves cause cancer?

by Anonymousreply 117January 14, 2023 4:49 PM

R116 not if you live in an apartment

by Anonymousreply 118January 14, 2023 4:51 PM

My parents’ house built way back in 1984 had an induction cooktop. Mom would take a magnet with her when buying pots and pans to make sure it would work with the stove. When the original stopped working they bought another induction because they’d invested so much in cookware for it. I guess they were way ahead of the curve.

by Anonymousreply 119January 14, 2023 4:53 PM

Didn't need to do any investing when I swapped to induction, no special cookware as my pots and pans are stainless steel ones, my aluminium wok and frying pans came with inserts. I've never bothered but you can always buy a steel diffuser if you really wanted to use aluminium/copper cookware.

Oh R114, always a "they" isn't there?

by Anonymousreply 120January 14, 2023 5:01 PM

I you have a favorite pot or pan that is non-ferrous, you can still use it.

Just buy an induction converter disc @ Wal-mart, Amazon, or Hardware stores. Cheap.

by Anonymousreply 121January 14, 2023 5:15 PM

My town tried to ban gas stoves in 2021 but dropped the initiative when developers threatened lawsuits. The law would have applied to new construction only, existing gas stoves would be grandfathered in.

As a small child we first had a gas stove then when the newfangled electric ones came in with a pull-out shelf of burners and we switched. Mom loved it and stuck with electric when they upgraded again. When I was old enough to buy my own place I chose gas. I'm happy with it and don't see being forced to change to electric any time soon. At this point, I'm not sure I'd care as I'm no chef.

The induction stove tops look easy to clean, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure about that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 14, 2023 5:18 PM

300 dead children at New London, Texas. Sadly, they started putting smell in gas and now we have 30 million Texans!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 14, 2023 5:20 PM

Texans: They're like fire ants in the national garden

by Anonymousreply 124January 14, 2023 5:25 PM

R122 What does that video you linked have to do with induction?

by Anonymousreply 125January 14, 2023 5:28 PM

[quote] The induction stove tops look easy to clean, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure about that

If you compare to gas and coils, any flat surface will be easier to clean. You may not get it spotless, but you don't have nooks and crannies.

by Anonymousreply 126January 14, 2023 5:34 PM

First the gas stoves , next my Gas Benidix Doumatic !!! Savages !!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 14, 2023 6:21 PM

Glass cooktops are safer and easier to clean. If the US were a sane country we’d already be phasing out gas ranges because of the dangers of fire and asphyxiation.

by Anonymousreply 128January 14, 2023 6:26 PM

In my studio apartment, the (old) dryer is gas and dries like a mother fucker. I hope it's here for as long as I remain here.

And I have put my gas oven (not my gas range burners, how stupid) on to warm my place when my pilot light was out on my wall furnace. I would also be baking something so it was a mutual benefit.

by Anonymousreply 129January 14, 2023 6:26 PM

I’m not a Trump supporter, but it’s clear there’s a concerted effort to ban these things, since they’re being attacked from all sides in a short period of time (environment and children’s health and risk of explosions). Maybe it’s the right thing to do, as is phasing out gas powered automobiles, but they are nice to cook on and some prefer them. If you don’t have children and are a reasonable adult not prone to accidentally blowing things up it’s probably OK to continue to use one.

by Anonymousreply 130January 14, 2023 8:13 PM

NO ONE is going to be forced to give up the gas stove they are using!

Every gas user is grandfathered in.

This is simply a wedge issue glommed onto by the conservaturds -- like their hatred of low flow shower heads, water saving toilets, and the "war" on Christmas.

Ignore the assholes and keep using your gas stove -- but now you know the risks to your household's air quality and the damage caused by fossil fuels.

And think about induction when time to replace.

by Anonymousreply 131January 14, 2023 9:43 PM

Induction stoves are superior to all! Mine boils water in less than a minute.

by Anonymousreply 132January 14, 2023 9:45 PM

[quote] only afterwards did we hear plastic straws were not really that big of a deal.

And when did we hear this? When we moved to Texas?

by Anonymousreply 133January 14, 2023 9:53 PM

[quote] Lots of homes are becoming their own little power plants these days, with solar, battery backup, and regular old NG generators incorporated into the mix.

Tell us you’re an ivory tower delusional lib without telling us you’re an ivory tower delusional lib.

by Anonymousreply 134January 14, 2023 10:29 PM

[quote]NO ONE is going to be forced to give up the gas stove they are using!

Unless you live in New York and your stove breaks after 2029 and you want to replace it.

Well, if Hochul has her way anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 14, 2023 11:30 PM

Goddammit I laughed at R104 and now I feel like a bad person.

by Anonymousreply 136January 14, 2023 11:46 PM

So, r135 -- I support Gov. Hochul's initiative and the timeline.

Can't live w/o gas cooking? -- repair the one you already have.

Here's some FauxNews Entertainment for their easily duped viewers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 15, 2023 12:07 AM

Good for you, r137. Most NYers don’t.

by Anonymousreply 138January 15, 2023 12:21 AM

Personally I don't care about the cooktop unless it's ceramic which I DETEST.

by Anonymousreply 139January 15, 2023 12:49 AM

R134

[quote]Tell us you’re an ivory tower delusional lib without telling us you’re an ivory tower delusional lib.

I don’t have any of it. I’m simply sharing a growing trend.

BTW, many of the proponents of this are as far from “lib” as one could possibly get, you stupid, politics-obsessed, cave-dwelling MAGAt.

by Anonymousreply 140January 15, 2023 1:12 AM

We're all going to die.

by Anonymousreply 141January 15, 2023 1:14 AM

I have electric.

I miss my gas stove every fucking day.

I will echo the poster upthread. I have a gas dryer and it is supreme!

by Anonymousreply 142January 15, 2023 1:45 AM

The world should go back to nuclear power generation until they have fusion figured out. And keep on with the wind, water and solar developments.

by Anonymousreply 143January 15, 2023 1:54 AM

Back in the 90s it was cars running on Natural Gas that was going to save the planet but all of a sudden we're whipped up about gas stoves and straws. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am so thankful to be a Gen Xer in the last half of my life. I get to watch this place destroy itself but I'll be long gone when it actual does.

We have too many idiots with access to too many podiums.

by Anonymousreply 144January 15, 2023 5:16 AM

Nuclear power should be outlawed and shut down immediately. They've had a century to figure out the waste scientifically and have failed to do so.

by Anonymousreply 145January 15, 2023 6:09 AM

If ignorant people want to get stirred up over this nothing burger fomented by the MAGAts, so be it.

Many MAGAts also hated the vaccines that were offered to save their lives. This tells you the mindset.

These people have a hair-trigger over their perception of government overreach, but blithely think government and the courts should decide what women can do with reproductive systems. Further evidence of the mindset.

Little can be done to stop these fools, but please, just make sure you vote against the politicians who pander to them.

by Anonymousreply 146January 15, 2023 11:00 AM

Could someone summarize?

Science now says gas stoves that are poorly vented create Indoor pollutants. So LIB DOUCHE WOKE Gubermint wants to take them away.

MAGAT pundits say this is CRY BABY LIB PINKO FAGGY GUBERMINT overreach.

Meanwhile - everyone in the public on both sides can't be fucked to read 2 mins of proposed legislation which will take nothing away from someone who has something already.

by Anonymousreply 147January 15, 2023 11:13 AM

Nobody is taking gas stoves away. It's just another right wing stab at Biden, meant to scare gullible fools.

by Anonymousreply 148January 15, 2023 11:15 AM

The only mentions of gas stoves by the Biden administration was to consider more safety rules around them, but the GOP, of course, has made up the narrative that Biden is taking them away.

by Anonymousreply 149January 15, 2023 1:53 PM

[quote]Nobody is taking gas stoves away.

Again, I refer you to r135.

by Anonymousreply 150January 15, 2023 4:21 PM

[quote]If ignorant people want to get stirred up over this nothing burger fomented by the MAGAts, so be it.

You really think New York is MAGAt-central?

by Anonymousreply 151January 15, 2023 4:23 PM

[quote]She also had no way to clean a spill that was sandwiched in between the front glass panes without paying a fortune for a repair person.

The door is easily removed and if you feel like it, you unscrew the sides of the door and it opens up and you can clean it.

by Anonymousreply 152January 15, 2023 4:31 PM

R145 you think nuclear power was 1st used in 1923?

by Anonymousreply 153January 15, 2023 4:34 PM

R150 — again, you are grandfathered in.

Her proposed ban is for new construction.

Stop jumping the gun to act all aggrieved, deprived, insulted, and MAGAty.

by Anonymousreply 154January 15, 2023 4:37 PM

JFC, you’re stupid, r154. Did you not read the fucking article? Here, let me help you since you’re so ignorant:

[quote]Hochul, a Democrat, also proposed the same requirement for commercial buildings beginning in 2030. [bold]The governor also wants to end sales of new oil or gas heating equipment — boilers, stoves, dryers and hot water heaters — in existing residential buildings by 2030 and by 2035 in existing commercial buildings.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 155January 15, 2023 4:51 PM

So, so, suck yo’ toe!

by Anonymousreply 156January 15, 2023 4:52 PM

Electric stoves still use fossil fuels.

by Anonymousreply 157January 15, 2023 4:54 PM

We need to go back to wood burning stoves! Or better yet, cooking outside over a campfire.

by Anonymousreply 158January 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Hochul is trying to lead the way. Aside from the global warming issue, natural gas is running out quickly. Ultimately, we're going to have to get rid of our gas heat/hot water and gas stoves. Everything will eventually go electric, with sun and wind providing the electricity.

by Anonymousreply 159January 15, 2023 6:19 PM

Republicans are getting their base all whipped up in a tizzy about the government supposedly taking away your gas stoves, meanwhile they're earnestly working to eradicate social security and Medicare. Their base are so fucking gullible and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 160January 15, 2023 8:18 PM

[quote] how dangerous natural gas is.

Sadly, my natural gas has been dangerous for decades

by Anonymousreply 161January 15, 2023 8:35 PM

Assuming the same annual rate of U.S. dry natural gas production in 2020 of about 30 Tcf, the United States has enough dry natural gas to last about 98 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 15, 2023 8:41 PM

Well don’t nobody want wet natural gas. That’s called a shart.

by Anonymousreply 163January 15, 2023 8:48 PM

what about induction stoves? are those any good? is it true you can only use certain cookware with them?

by Anonymousreply 164January 16, 2023 12:24 AM

I have a 220 line that runs to my electric oven next to my gas stovetop.

Can I branch off the oven line for an induction cook top, or do I need a new line?

Any DL electricians out there?

by Anonymousreply 165January 16, 2023 1:34 AM

[quote]Unless you live in New York and your stove breaks after 2029 and you want to replace it.

That's a lot of fucking ifs and the clock doesn't even start for 6 more years.

This level of alarmism obscures the reality that NO ONE IS COMING FOR YOUR GAS STOVES but do keep giving cover to MAGAs and the GOP for their talking points to flourish. Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 166January 16, 2023 4:23 PM

R160 needs to be pasted a million times in this thread:

[quote]Republicans are getting their base all whipped up in a tizzy about the government supposedly taking away your gas stoves, meanwhile they're earnestly working to eradicate social security and Medicare. Their base are so fucking gullible and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 167January 16, 2023 4:25 PM

[quote]You really think New York is MAGAt-central?

You're quite naive, and in fact, quite stupid, if you think New Yorkers can't be MAGAts or that MAGAts don't live in New York.

Do you -- do you know where Donald Trump is from???

by Anonymousreply 168January 16, 2023 4:39 PM

I’m 67 I survived 3 homes with gas heat and cooking so far. My last heating bill in West Virginia was $128.00 for a 2300 sq ft home..that included hot water and cooking...I dont want electric anything as its expensive as hell

by Anonymousreply 169January 16, 2023 4:39 PM

I'm old and care more about my electric bill than some stupid kids with asthma, so it's gas all the way for me. Drill, baby, Drill! I am a liberal Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 170January 16, 2023 4:42 PM

r169 And you don't have to, you simpering idiot!

by Anonymousreply 171January 16, 2023 4:43 PM

[quote]You're quite naive, and in fact, quite stupid, if you think New Yorkers can't be MAGAts or that MAGAts don't live in New York.

Who the fuck said MAGAts don’t live in New York? They’re in every state, some more than others. But NY is certainly not rife with them.

[quote]Do you -- do you know where Donald Trump is from???

And do you — do you know he soundly lost New York? Both times? His own fucking state wouldn’t vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 172January 16, 2023 4:45 PM

I don't have kids yet I care about the planet while I exist on it.

Some of these gas stove maniacs posting here take the cake. No one says you have to stop burning gas. Get over it and STFU!

by Anonymousreply 173January 16, 2023 4:47 PM

R172, I am well aware of the demographics of New York, and (NEWSFLASH) conservative Republicans exist there.

But do continue trolling in support of Republican talking points, and obscuring the truth of the gas stoves debate, which is not about "taking your gas ovens."

We ALL see you.

by Anonymousreply 174January 16, 2023 4:52 PM

[Quote] You really think New York is MAGAt-central?

Most of NY above NYC is MAGA land

by Anonymousreply 175January 16, 2023 4:52 PM

Fireplaces should be banned, gas and wood burning ones. BBQs and grills should be banned too.

by Anonymousreply 176January 16, 2023 4:54 PM

Desantis is already using the gas stove faux controversy as part of his campaigning. That's about all you really need to know...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177January 16, 2023 4:58 PM

...it's a diversion by Republicunts try and keep people occupied with outrage while they are really doing this instead:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178January 16, 2023 4:59 PM

From the WSJ:

A sign of the media times is how quickly our leading progressive organs rally to deny that Democrats are doing what Democrats really are doing. A classic example was this week’s flare up in the coming climate war over banning gas stoves.

A Biden appointee on the Consumer Product Safety Commission explicitly threatened to ban gas stoves based on dubious evidence of public-health harm. “This is a hidden hazard,” said commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. “Any option is on the table. Products that can’t be made safe can be banned.”

We and others criticized the idea, and the media response was to rush to blame conservatives for starting it all. “Right’s new fight: Gas stoves,” said Axios, which pushes hard for the climate alarmist agenda. The Washington Post assured its readers that “regulators have no plans to ban gas stoves, but Republicans are slamming the Consumer Product Safety Commission for announcing it will examine the health impacts of the appliances.”

by Anonymousreply 179January 16, 2023 5:02 PM

WSJ continued...

But we didn’t make up Mr. Trumka’s quote. We and others responded to it. After withering public criticism, including by Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, the CPSC Chairman denied any plan to ban, and the White House said President Biden also doesn’t want to ban gas stoves. But that’s cold comfort given that the climate left does want to ban them, and progressive cities and states are doing it.

Progressive cities such as Berkeley, San Francisco and New York City have already banned gas stoves and other appliances in new buildings. New York Gov. Kathy Hochul this week proposed a ban on gas equipment including stoves in new small buildings in 2025 and larger ones in 2028.

Come 2030, New Yorkers won’t be allowed to replace their gas stoves with new ones if they break down. “As you begin making a transition, everyone will have to switch out appliances,” a state official explained. This is how the left’s green-energy “transition” will work for all things. Come 2035, New Yorkers and Californians won’t be able to buy new gasoline-powered cars either.

The Biden Administration is also aiding and abetting the anti-gas stove cause. Last year it filed an amicus brief with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals supporting a gas ban by Berkeley, Calif. The departments of Justice and Energy argued that cities and states should be able to exercise police powers to prohibit the use of “dangerous or unsafe items.” Why would the federal government weigh in on a local regulatory case, if not for ideological climate solidarity?

by Anonymousreply 180January 16, 2023 5:05 PM

Republicans want to gut Social Security and Medicare but the elders on DL are nickel and diming over their electric bill because they think someone is coming for their gas ovens. Unbelievable.

WAKE UP PEOPLE. If you are 67 you should be more concerned about Social Security and Medicare, and if you aren't concerned about them then your electric bill probably isn't a big concern for you, either. Get real.

by Anonymousreply 181January 16, 2023 5:06 PM

R181, people can discuss a topic without ignoring another.

by Anonymousreply 182January 16, 2023 5:13 PM

R175 the farther north you go in New York, the more it resembles a snowy Alabama. Confederate flags and all

by Anonymousreply 183January 16, 2023 5:15 PM

Manhattan itself has a sizable Republican population considering the rest of the city. Pretending like no one in NY could be a Republican on DL is obviously inane. They exist and they probably post here along with the other GOP trolls.

by Anonymousreply 184January 16, 2023 5:18 PM

R183, I don't recall ever seeing a Confederate flag in NYS and I've lived here for many a decade. R184, one can be a Democrat or Independent and not agree with every proposal Democratic/Progressive politicians and political groups make. It's called democracy.

by Anonymousreply 185January 16, 2023 5:21 PM

R185 you don't get out much. Just drove back roads from Utica to Newburgh and saw plenty of confederate flags.

by Anonymousreply 186January 16, 2023 5:24 PM

Yes, r185. I have relatives up in the Western New York region and visit there. I also lived there for over a decade in my early 20s/30s. By and large, the area is a hotbed of MAGA types and Democrats are NOT the majority whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 187January 16, 2023 5:27 PM

Rural New York is not unlike a neighboring Northern state, rural PA, where confederate flags are quite common.

by Anonymousreply 188January 16, 2023 5:29 PM

Knowledge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189January 16, 2023 6:13 PM

Just go out to Long Island. so many repug cunts out there. I saw Fuck Biden flags last summer. and let's not forget S.I.

by Anonymousreply 190January 16, 2023 6:23 PM

Staten Island is so red it might as well be in Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 191January 16, 2023 6:36 PM

Oh look, R189 did some "research."

by Anonymousreply 192January 16, 2023 6:36 PM

R179, typical Wall Street Journal crap editorial. It takes one quote from one guy and twists it to mean Biden wants to take away all our gas stoves.

I recall WSJ’s editorials during the Obamacare debate. I followed the ACA’s evolution very closely as part of my job. The WSJ’s opinion pieces about ACA were full of bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 193January 16, 2023 7:10 PM

I canceled the Wall Street Journal as soon as Murdoch bought it.

by Anonymousreply 194January 16, 2023 8:36 PM

I'm so sick of my quasi chef friends claiming food cooks better on gas stoves. I've cooked on both and notice nay difference. Lying, pretentious cunts. Electric stoves are way less messy, love em.

by Anonymousreply 195January 16, 2023 8:38 PM

^^r195 has spoken, after finishing his masterpiece, "boiling water," cooked solely on his electric cooktop.

by Anonymousreply 196January 16, 2023 8:41 PM

You’re either off your meds or having a bad period again R 171…… take care of yourself

by Anonymousreply 197January 17, 2023 12:34 PM

I never thought about this until just now -- could my daily headaches be caused by my old gas range, leaking gas?

by Anonymousreply 198January 18, 2023 2:52 AM

Absolutely, R198.

by Anonymousreply 199January 18, 2023 2:57 AM

R196, why would I be worried about messiness if I only boiled water you incredulous cunt.

by Anonymousreply 200January 18, 2023 2:33 PM

I just replaced my gas stove with electric. I always thought gas superior but read a bunch of article that gas doesn't cook better than electric. So doing my bit to save the environment. But no way am I giving up my private plane! Stoves are my limit!

by Anonymousreply 201January 18, 2023 2:40 PM

R201 Do you hire escorts?

by Anonymousreply 202January 18, 2023 3:28 PM

Does NY have a plan to increase renewable energy to power all this electricity or will most of it still be generated by fossil fuels? If that's the case it's like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

by Anonymousreply 203January 18, 2023 3:43 PM

R203, you seem to be ignoring the fact that gas ovens are harmful to some people, especially children. This isn't driven by a push for green energy. Ending reliance on fossil fuels is a separate issue that isn't in conflict with the push to replace gas ovens with electric ones.

by Anonymousreply 204January 18, 2023 3:46 PM

But that's exactly what they are doing r6. Intelligence is not your strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 205January 18, 2023 3:54 PM

But that's exactly what they are doing r6. Intelligence is not your strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 206January 18, 2023 3:55 PM

All you have to do is convince them that Satan is in the pipes, as evidenced by the fires of hell coming up out on to the stove. Shouldn’t be difficult.

I love my gas stove. Induction would be great, but I understand where my electricity comes from so I won’t be switching for environmental reasons.

by Anonymousreply 207January 18, 2023 3:57 PM

R193 actually believes everything she reads in the A section of the NYTs, all the propaganda that's fit to print. The only truthful section of the NYTs is Arts & Leisure. This has been the case since at least the lead up to the completely made up lead up to the Iraqi invasion. It has only gotten a lot more pervasive and obvious.

by Anonymousreply 208January 18, 2023 4:00 PM

You mean compared to lithium mining r79?

by Anonymousreply 209January 18, 2023 4:05 PM

R205 R206

by Anonymousreply 210January 18, 2023 4:05 PM

A question for induction stove/range/cooktop owners:

Which attribute do you care most about? --1) cooking speed, 2) ease of clean up after use.

by Anonymousreply 211January 18, 2023 8:48 PM

[quote]I learned yesterday that that whole furor about gas stoves was based on correlational evidence. I shouldn’t be surprised at this point, but also, wtf you guys?

[quote] Tbc, I would not be surprised by causal evidence with similar conclusions. But my/our priors are wrong all the time — we can't just skip the "science" step!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212January 19, 2023 9:50 PM

Some people just like to ban shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213January 19, 2023 9:55 PM

I'm not really a fan of them.

by Anonymousreply 214January 19, 2023 10:07 PM

R55

I'm guessing the coils can be held at a specific temperature for a longer period of time, while a gas oven has to constantly let the heat cool a bit and reignite to heat it up again. I do like a gas range, but hate a gas oven. I've been thinking about getting a dual oven, gas on top, electric at bottom, but unfortunately I'll likely have to hire an electrician to add a breaker for the oven. I live in new "green" construction, and the builder made almost everything natural gas which isn't renewable and isn't particularly green either.

by Anonymousreply 215January 19, 2023 10:24 PM

R214

For chrissakes, gas ovens had nothing to do with the Holocaust. The "gassing" was cyanide.

by Anonymousreply 216January 19, 2023 10:25 PM

R216, oh my.

by Anonymousreply 217January 19, 2023 10:37 PM

Gas stoves are great, but I don't have asthma, kids, or kids with asthma.

But if you use a lot of AC, they definitely heat up your kitchen, so factor that in.

by Anonymousreply 218January 19, 2023 10:51 PM

Anne Frank died of typhus.

by Anonymousreply 219January 19, 2023 11:17 PM

Induction stoves are great....except when you lose electricity

by Anonymousreply 220January 20, 2023 3:14 AM

I have cooked for decades on the old-fashioned electric coil stovetops, and have been able to cook anything on there that can be cooked on a gas stove-top. Techniques are slightly different, but in the end, you have just as much control over temperature on electric as on gas, once you get used to your own particular stove and its calibration. Only wok food is tricky. Usually I resort to an electric wok if I really want to cook Asian style, but many things can be made in an ordinary large fry pan. In particular, grains cook better on electric stovetop, because the simmer is more reliable than turning the gas down to a minimal flame. It's much easier to burn a pan on a gas stove than on an electric one.

by Anonymousreply 221January 20, 2023 9:09 AM

Yes it can cause health issues, like gas heating. That's why you should ventilate after using it. I think banning it is rough. It also seems bad to me especially for Asian cuisine where you need a very intense heat for a very short time. Gas also makes people independent from power outages. I really don't know what drives this legislation, but I'm almost sure it's not concern for public health.

by Anonymousreply 222January 20, 2023 9:51 AM

[quote] I really don't know what drives this legislation,

What legislation?

by Anonymousreply 223January 20, 2023 12:41 PM

I’m not him, but perhaps he’s referring to the legislation Kathy Hochul in NY put forward which effectively bans sale of gas stoves to residents by 2030.

by Anonymousreply 224January 20, 2023 3:36 PM

Yes, most proposed legislation I have seen refers to the sale of new stoves after a certain date, not requiring people who already have a gas stove to give up the stove then. It's somewhat analogous to not allowing the sale of gas powered vehicles in California after a certain date. People from the state government are not going to come to your house and take away your current gas powered vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 225January 21, 2023 12:43 AM

No, but when you need to buy another vehicle….

by Anonymousreply 226January 21, 2023 12:45 AM

I want to convert my fireplace to gas. It will cost about 4k.

Has the time for that already passed?

by Anonymousreply 227January 21, 2023 5:14 AM

It'll be okay, R229. You'll be dead by then.

by Anonymousreply 228January 21, 2023 11:37 AM

R227, I just converted my fireplace to gas.

I do think, as gas runs out, this will also have to end

by Anonymousreply 229January 21, 2023 8:59 PM

[Quote] No, but when you need to buy another vehicle….

By then, companies won’t even be making gas-powered vehicles. Most are going all -electric by the end of the decade

by Anonymousreply 230January 21, 2023 9:00 PM

Not going to happen without major improvements in their abilities and major infrastructure renovations.

Think NYC, for example, where they built vertical. Do you think the people on the 17th floor are going to run an extension cord to their car?

by Anonymousreply 231January 21, 2023 9:04 PM

R231, no one who lives on the 17th floor parks his car right next to his apartment door

by Anonymousreply 232January 21, 2023 9:08 PM

You’re absolutely right, r232. So they have to buy a longer extension cord I suppose, huh?

And if you’re implying that someone who lives on the 17th floor is rich and has their car garaged somewhere, let me introduce you to the Marlboro Houses.

by Anonymousreply 233January 21, 2023 9:14 PM

Anyone who lives on the 17th floor parks in garage on the first floor

by Anonymousreply 234January 22, 2023 5:26 PM

Yeah, you’re right, r234. But I guess you just glossed right over r233.

People in the projects, er, housing developments, don’t have that luxury.

And even if they did, it goes back to infrastructure changes. Do you think every parking spot has an accessible outlet attached to it?

by Anonymousreply 235January 22, 2023 5:31 PM

Your privilege is showing, r234.

by Anonymousreply 236January 22, 2023 5:32 PM

[Quote] Do you think every parking spot has an accessible outlet attached to it?

Once electric cars are mass marketed, every parking spot will likely have an outlet.

Just like plane seats now all have outlets for charging your phone

by Anonymousreply 237January 22, 2023 5:35 PM

Mine ain’t have that. It’s cause they disrespectin me.

by Anonymousreply 238January 22, 2023 5:37 PM

R228 what in the prophecy hell.

by Anonymousreply 239January 24, 2023 1:03 AM

𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐨𝐫 𝐀𝐝𝐚𝐦𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐞

𝐆𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭

“Those of us that are good cooks, you know, people don’t realize electric stoves can’t give you the right setting when you are cooking something,” he declared when asked about the plan by a Post reporter Monday.

Hizzoner admitted he’s even the proud owner of a gas stove himself

“I’m a good cook,” he declared, “and that electric stove just doesn’t cook for me!”

Hochul’s plan would outlaw all gas stoves, hot water heaters and oil furnaces in new residential and commercial construction by 2028 across the Empire State.

The proposal would have to be signed into law either as part of her state budget due April 1 or as a piece of legislation first passed by the legislature then signed by Hochul.

It’s part of the state’s bid to cut down New York’s greenhouse gas emissions, as mandated by a law signed in 2019 by Hochul’s predecessor, now-disgraced Andrew Cuomo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240January 24, 2023 10:26 PM

[quote] the United States has enough dry natural gas to last about 98 years.

And the world was going to run out of oil by 1921.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241January 24, 2023 10:34 PM

Hi, Chicken Little!!

It’s been so long, we should catch up.

by Anonymousreply 242January 24, 2023 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!