Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Frasier' reboot being done on the CHEAP

[quote]"With the Paramount+ Frasier reboot, you're getting the actor you know and love in his most famous role, but you're not getting much else," revealed an insider. "There will be no lavish sets and none of the beloved faces fans held dear. Even the writers and producers are Z-list."

Me-OW!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175February 12, 2023 10:28 PM

Why do they do this sort of shit?

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2023 3:24 AM

Why would the reboot of a sitcom need “lavish” sets?

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2023 3:26 AM

You seem a bit slow R2.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2023 3:27 AM

Kelsey Grammer isn't worth that much.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2023 3:42 AM

The original had lavish sets, r2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2023 3:48 AM

proud to say i never watched a single episide. sit coms are so tacky and dumb.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2023 3:49 AM

Shitty article from a crappy site, and poorly written to boot. OP. From it:

[quote]As RadarOnline.com previously reported, 63-year-old David Hyde Pierce, who stole scenes as Frasier's little brother Niles, scuttled plans to bring back the entire cast this spring by demanding a much larger role and paycheck, which producers nixed.

[quote]“David has become a huge star on Broadway,” explained a source. “He doesn’t need the show, so he decided to leverage his appearance to the hilt. In the end, he overplayed his hand and lost.”

[quote]Pierce's grandstand move wrecked plans for the rest of the surviving cast — including Peri Gilpin and Jane Leeves — to have a happy reunion on the rebooted classic.

[quote]Without Niles, producers decided to scrap the reunion and place Frasier in a new city with a new cast.

The official reason that Pierce isn't returning, from the very same article:

[quote]According to Grammer, Pierce didn't want to repeat his performance as the beloved character.

Which is it, RadarOnline.com? In the end, it really doesn't matter. If, indeed, DHP was willing to even consider reprising the role of Niles for a better paycheck on a project almost certain to fail, why not negotiate more money and a larger part? Blaming DHP for the producers deciding not to hire the other original actors is ridiculous.

That's on the producers.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2023 3:54 AM

[quote]proud to say i never watched a single episide. sit coms are so tacky and dumb.

That's because you're *special*, r6...

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2023 4:00 AM

Isn't Jane Leeves the one who already has an acting job she is committed to? I see that as a much bigger obstacle for a reunion of the living cast.

What does 'lavish set' mean? If the writer means lavish in terms of fancy interior design like Frasier's living room, that doesn't make a lavish set in terms of production design and value. The character Frasier had expensive furniture because it supported the character. If he moves in with Frederick he may live in an Ikea nightmare. Lavish set would mean that they use five standing sets rather than three.

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2023 11:34 AM

Doesn't need a reboot. Paramount Plus is a terrible name. And the era of multi camera sitcoms are over. What is the demographic for this?

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2023 11:37 AM

Even without Frasier, DHP is rather well off from family money. Not that having more isn't a nice thing to have, but he clearly enjoys working in theater, and didn't care to work with Grammer again.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2023 11:40 AM

R2 Beats me. Were sitcoms ever not made on the cheap due to only having a week to shoot an episode? Most only have like three sets: the home, workplace or hangout spot.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2023 11:42 AM

[quote] Kelsey believes his star power is big enough to make the show a success.

From the star of Money Plane, and that show where he played the mayor of Chicago... You know the one? What about Sideshow Bob? Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2023 11:55 AM

^God, I hope you are joking.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2023 12:04 PM

Well the article says he thinks that, and he was definitely in those things.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2023 12:13 PM

RadarOnline is clickbait, and half that article sounds like nonsense, especially the "inside gossip" about Pierce overplaying his hand.

Everyone in the free world thinks this is a terrible idea. And unless they have good writers, no one will watch this mess.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2023 12:16 PM

Like turning “They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?” into a knee-slapp’n hootenanny!

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2023 12:20 PM

David Hyde Pierce is busy with the 2nd season of Julia, and Jane Leeves is in The Resident, so that's two cast members with other jobs. John Mahoney died and Peri Gilpin didn't seem that interested a couple of years ago when they were first floating this idea. I doubt that there was any kind of salary negotiation that fell through, but rather a lack of interest that the producers are trying to hide by pretending like DHP "lost out on" due to greed.

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2023 12:24 PM

I love how they conclude that Pierce "lost" by not being a part of this embarrassing train wreck.

Grammer is a pompous Trumper who is hell to work with. *That's the reason no one wanted to come back.

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2023 12:25 PM

I would argue that Peri Gilpin is a bigger loss for Frasier than David is.

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2023 12:37 PM

The show was on the air for ten years but when it went off the air the rest of the cast went on to do nothing.

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2023 12:47 PM

^ I'd say that's true for most TV shows. For Frasier though, I'd say that's actually not true. Pierce does theater, Leeves has had frequent long-running TV jobs. Mahoney was basically at retirement age when Frasier ended. The only unknown for me is Gilpin. Not sure what she has done lately. Overall I'd say the cast did fairly well, comparatively.

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2023 1:00 PM

I would argue that changing the show (new cast, maybe doing single camera without laugh track) would probably be beneficial.

No one wants to see the exact same thing they’ve already seen. Frasier itself was a significant stylistic departure from Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2023 1:04 PM

Peri does a lot of small roles in films and guest spots. This is speculation but I don't think she needs to work, she was able to take a few years off after her twins were born. She works enough that I think if she wanted a full-time series she could get one.

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2023 1:39 PM

[quote] You seem a bit slow [R2].

Or perhaps I’m just not as obsessed with sitcoms as you are, r3.

Honestly, who but the biggest loser on the surface of the globe would care about “elaborate sets” … on a sitcom?

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2023 5:10 PM

[quote]Like turning “They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?” into a knee-slapp’n hootenanny!

"She Done Already Done Had Horses"

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2023 5:15 PM

I have no idea what Grammar is like to work with by DHP is known as as a complete professional and one of the best-liked people in the business (certainly on Broadway).

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2023 6:11 PM

That’s nice to hear.

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2023 6:12 PM

[quote]She works enough that I think if she wanted a full-time series she could get one.

She couldn't carry one, r24.

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2023 6:27 PM

[quote]Or perhaps I’m just not as obsessed with sitcoms as you are, [R3].

But here you are, r25.

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2023 6:32 PM

R11 I didn't know he had family money. His wiki says his dad was an aspiring actor and his mom worked insurance.

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2023 6:38 PM

🔥 just kill it with fire 🔥

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2023 6:46 PM

"Peri does a lot of small roles in films and guest spots. This is speculation but I don't think she needs to work,"

Peri's father was a weatherman on ABC 6 here in Philly (Jim O'Brien). He died tragically 40 years ago in a parachuting accident. There may have been some money from a wrongful death suit that Peri received. So, so in addition to her earnings and residuals from "Frasier" she may have some of this money.

Pure speculation on my part.

by Anonymousreply 33January 12, 2023 6:48 PM

So in this reboot, did witty, urbane Frasier lose his syndicated radio show when he turned into a conspiracy-believing MAGAt? I bet it'll be a laugh riot watching him host the QAnon-sponsored podcast he streams from his son Freddie's basement.

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2023 12:31 AM

Does Bulldog (Dan Butler) make an appearance? He was my favorite character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2023 2:36 AM

I remember reading about a year ago that it's written by a couple of fans and David HP and Jane Leeves declined because the script was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2023 7:04 AM

I know Grammer’s daughter very well. She’s lovely, but has a very fractured (at best) relationship with her dad, whom she mostly despises. He’s an asshole of the highest magnitude and I wouldn’t be surprised if his former costars refused to come back - no matter how good the paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2023 8:17 AM

I didn't say she could carry one, r29, nor is that even the point.

We were discussing the theory that Peri is the only one who MIGHT have wanted to do the series for the money, but my opinion is that she doesn't need to work. Her husband seems to be doing well and I would guess she's got plenty of money on her own. Also, her sister died pretty young a couple of years ago and Peri hasn't said a thing about the Frasier reboot since then, so it may simply not even matter to her. The last thing Peri said about it was 2019, apparently, though I guess it's been talked about since 2018, which is insane.

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2023 8:51 AM

Frazier only needs Bebe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 13, 2023 8:59 AM

Blaming David Hyde Pierce on the rest of the cast not returning is really fucking rich. This is 100% on Kelsey’s MAGA shoulders. No one wants to work with him.

PREPARE FOR A ONE SEASON CANCELED FLOP.

by Anonymousreply 40January 13, 2023 11:56 AM

[quote] No one wants to see the exact same thing they’ve already seen.

That’s literary the point of all these revivals. People want the original show back with all of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 41January 13, 2023 11:58 AM

R6, You are among an unfortunately growing group of people proud to flaunt their ignorance. But then, "Frasier" was probably too erudite for the likes of you.

by Anonymousreply 42January 13, 2023 2:21 PM

Why is he doing this? Paycheck? Ego?

So Frasier, who's now in his 70s, is "starting anew" in a different city without any of his family or friends? Sounds depressing as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 43January 13, 2023 2:45 PM

[quote] I remember reading about a year ago that it's written by a couple of fans and David HP and Jane Leeves declined because the script was terrible.

I am pretty sure at that point there weren't any scripts available. Even when shows are developed years ahead of time, scripts are usually not drafted that far in advance of production start. Leeves was probably contractually not available because she is already cast in another (drama) show. DHP ... who knows.

by Anonymousreply 44January 13, 2023 2:45 PM

r44 Grammer was pictured parading a Frasier script round as early as 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 13, 2023 2:56 PM

[quote]PREPARE FOR A ONE SEASON CANCELED FLOP.

It’s cute that you give it an entire season.

by Anonymousreply 46January 13, 2023 5:39 PM

This looks as exciting as the Mad About You revival they did a few years ago on Spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2023 5:42 PM

What were the "lavish sets" on the original Frasier?

by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2023 5:49 PM

I'm with R39. Give Bebe her own show.

I loved her accent. I loved her evil, scheming, black-hearted ways. And I loved how she always got her way - except for that one time she tried to marry a decrepit millionaire named Big Willy, only to have him die whilst walking her down the aisle. She did her best to puppeteer him to the altar to say "I do," but the jig was up.

by Anonymousreply 49January 13, 2023 5:59 PM

I forgot about that. Wasn't that exactly what happened with Bo (Mo Gaffney) on "AbFab"?

by Anonymousreply 50January 13, 2023 6:07 PM

Nicholas Lyndhurst has been cast in this. I know most will say who, but for fellow Brits - WTF? They going to have a "hilarious" scene where Frasier falls through a bar?

[quote]The role marks a reunion for Grammer and Lyndhurst, who previously starred together in “Man of La Mancha” for the English National Opera at the London Coliseum.

Oh god, so Grammar is just casting anyone he meets now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2023 7:26 PM

[quote]Lyndhurst will play Alan Cornwall, described as “Frasier’s old college buddy turned university professor. British, boozy and larger than life, Alan has an intellect on par with Frasier’s—if only he ever felt like using it. Alan’s mischievous streak might be just what Frasier could use to shake up his routine, while Frasier’s thoughtful guidance might help Alan find some of the direction he’s been missing in his own life.”

So they're giving Frasier a Patsy then. This is going to be beyond awful.

by Anonymousreply 52January 13, 2023 7:27 PM

It's amazing how you all already how the show is going to be. How DO you do it?

by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2023 7:31 PM

R46 you realize that streaming services order an ENTIRE SEASON of these things right?

Dinosaur.

by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2023 7:33 PM

Oh hey Kelsey! R53

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2023 7:54 PM

Frasier’s son Freddy has been cast

Freddy became a fireman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2023 8:32 PM

R52 At least they're not doing the typical spinoff tactic of introducing some unknown "best friend or relative" no one has ever seen before.

"Hey, it's the father I said was dead and the brother I never once mentioned. We're so close in Seattle!" - Frasier Crane

"Hey, it's my lifelong best friend and housekeeper Sapphire. You never met her when I lived in Atlanta and had Consuela, but here she is!" - Suzanne Sugarbaker

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2023 8:33 PM

How could Freddie, who was allergic to everything, become a fireman?

I guess attempts at laughs are more important.

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2023 9:27 PM

I think the important thing is that my check clears.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2023 9:34 PM

Apparently the British actor playing Alan is quite well loved in the UK.

That doesn't prevent this from being a steaming pile of shit, of course, but it does land one tiny plus in the positive column.

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2023 9:43 PM

[quote]How could Freddie, who was allergic to everything, become a fireman?

Since Frasier's dad is dead, they need another blue-collar foil.

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2023 9:43 PM

Nicholas Lyndhurst is a decent enough actor.

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2023 11:51 PM

r56 The kid who played Freddie in most seasons is actually still acting (had a recurring role on Mad Men and main cast of The Magicians), and they still went with someone else? Ouch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2023 11:59 PM

I always hated working class Freddie story even when Grammer mentioned it years ago, and I started to hate it even more once someone on reddit pointed out that is should be Niles and Daphne 's kid who can quite easily be inserted as the working class oddball. He's part Moon and was raised by Martin. Freddie was already nearly 18 by the end of Frasier and very much Frasier and Liliphs kid.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2023 1:04 AM

Because of this stupid thread I had a dream about this stupid reboot last night. Dreamt that Kelsey Grammer insisted that he be given multiple roles, so they created a "futuristic" plot where he owns a restaurant that gives out life advice to customers, but because he can't be everywhere at once, he had himself cloned so he could tell multiple people what to do, all at once.

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2023 5:54 AM

Hey, r65, call me

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2023 5:05 PM

Is Kelsey doing this so he can pay alimony to his nineteen child brides?

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2023 6:13 PM

Wasn’t Grammer’s ex wife, the BH Housewife, a producer on Frasier? I know she took credit for its success.

by Anonymousreply 68January 16, 2023 12:32 AM

She doesn’t have credits from IMDb for the shows Kelsey executive produced like The Game and Girlfriends, but Camille Grammer Meyer was invvolved with bringing Medium with Patricia Arquette to the screen because Allison DuBois was her psychic.

Source: The Dinner Party From HELL

by Anonymousreply 69January 16, 2023 6:37 PM

It's interesting that both Niles (DHP) and Lilith (Bebe Neuwirth) ended up as regulars on HBO's "Julia."

by Anonymousreply 70January 16, 2023 7:21 PM

Instant hit, with DHP.

But DHP has declined.

by Anonymousreply 71January 16, 2023 9:50 PM

R70 They’re legends of the Broadway stage.

The only stage Kelsey gets paid to touch is at a Michelle Bachmann rally in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2023 12:44 AM

Kelsey was the lead in "Finding Neverland" on Broadway in 2015.

by Anonymousreply 73January 17, 2023 12:59 AM

I saw a Netflix movie with Kristen and and Kelsey over Christmas. It’s a minor film, but it was bittersweet and decent and gave me hope that this series - which we know will be no Frasier - will at least be humorous and watchable and not legacy destroying.

The casting of Nicholas Lyndhurst gives me hope. Freddie the fireman doesn’t. I hope Kelsey can leave his MAGA politics out of it.

by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2023 1:30 AM

Freddie the Jewish Word Nerd would never have grown up to become a Blue-Collar firefighter. A Mini-Frasier would be funnier; even better, a Mini-Niles.

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2023 4:13 AM

Nicholas Lyndhurst was the major supporting role in Only Fools and Horses to Sir David Jason's Del Boy character. The show, which is rated number 3 of Britain's all time comedy series, ran from 1981 to 2003.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 17, 2023 4:57 AM

Don't bother wishing for Bebe if Joe Keenan isn't there to write for her.

He wrote the "Big Willy" episode mentioned above ("Where There's Smoke, You're Fired"). Sticking my neck out a bit, I remember him writing 90-100% of Bebe's episodes. And he's definitely not Z-list. He wrote nearly every episode Frasier fans are likely to name as a favorite. He left after Niles married Daphne and boy, could you tell.

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2023 11:16 AM

I tend to agree with you. I think Keenan came back for the last season, and boy, you could tell, too. Frasier is one of few shows that got it together again one last time in its last season.

by Anonymousreply 78January 17, 2023 12:57 PM

Yes, Keenan wrote two of the last season episodes (including the famous Nanny G one), and in addition he co-wrote the final double-episode with Christopher Lloyd.

I haven't heard him talk about it, but I assume that like much of the DL he hated the Niles/Daphne pairing becoming more than fantasy, because he left at that point and on his return he only focuses on them in the final episode.

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2023 1:11 PM

R79 But isn't it equally obnoxious for the will-they-or-won't-they dynamic to drag on for TEN YEARS? It's a tricky thing, but this storyline could not have lasted forever. It needed a resolution of some kind. Just as in real life, crushes happen, but they resolve themselves. People grow and change, or they meet someone more available, or they try their crush and realize it's not what they imagined it'd be. But grown adults - especially accomplished and mature adults like Niles Crane - don't hang around their father's maid for years just building up the courage to talk to her. It's unrealistic, and loses its cuteness fast.

Never showing Maris = Funny, and good writing

Niles lusting after Daphne for a decade, with nary a word to her about it = Dark and sad, and lazy writing

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2023 2:14 PM

That Daphne/Niles thing was a tricky one. As fantasy it worked well because it was a major driver for everything Niles did. Once he got what he wanted he was aimless. I am sure they must have known that back then. But they also ran out of ideas and had already paired both with other people.

They should have kept him with Maris. She was the best foil for him even though she was never seen. Not sure why they dropped this relationship. It was a gold mine and I am sure they could have mined it some more. If they needed to have him grow more, they could have done it on the professional side.

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2023 2:18 PM

Ken Levine was one of the writers on Frasier. This is what he wrote about the Niles/Daphne relationship:

Getting this type of couple together is a judgment call. During show nights you get the sense whether an audience is really on board with a storyline or if they’re kind of glazing over.

Another indicator is how hard it is to come up with stories. Are you running out of ideas and premises? The major problem is that the sexual tension and build-up is usually a lot more fun than the aftermath of the couple finally getting together. But you have to realize that you’re dealing with adult characters. It’s not high school. After awhile if two people who are attracted to each other don’t get together it starts feeling very juvenile and silly. So you have to walk that fine line.

And then there’s network pressure. The episode where a couple finally hooks up usually gets a rating spike. And networks love love love weddings… during sweeps. They’re highly promotable. But they can also mortgage your show’s future.

About Maris he wrote: If anything we wanted to clear the way for Niles to lust secretly after Daphne without the audience resenting him for it or feeling sorry for Maris. Beyond that, I for one was going for the laugh when writing about Maris.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2023 2:35 PM

It would've been more realistic - but maybe not as golden for ratings - for Niles to meet a legitimately lovable person who allowed him to move on from his crush on Daphne. Sitcoms always go for the cheap laugh when it comes to dates: Every blind date is an atrocious disaster, and a one-off event. It's rare that you see a central character date someone who turns out to be kind, funny, interesting, and promising a real future.

"Designing Women" did it well. Mary Jo spent four seasons with JD, and Charlene had her handsome colonel Bill, and Julia had the amazing relationship with Reese. These were good men for the women we cared about, and it enriched the show to see these relationships blossom over time. Niles Crane could've met someone wonderful who took him in a whole new direction from his solitary self, as good love is supposed to do.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2023 3:13 PM

Great, r83! And they can re-title the show "Everybody Loves Frasier"!

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2023 8:23 PM

Oops at r84! Sorry! Make that,

"Everybody Loves Niles"!

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2023 8:24 PM

I never really understood why Daphne would want Niles. Having somebody moon after you for a decade and just not do anything about it and end up marrying a different person who they are then prepared to leave on the spot just don't seem to be attractive qualities, rather extremely off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 86January 18, 2023 2:04 AM

It's only appropriate that "somebody moon after" Daphne!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 18, 2023 2:47 AM

[quote]It would've been more realistic - but maybe not as golden for ratings - for Niles to meet a legitimately lovable person who allowed him to move on from his crush on Daphne.

Oh, you mean like in How I Met Your Mother, where Tracy was a million miles nicer and better suited to Ted than Robin was? (Not to mention a better actress.) That went well. The big problem there was that fandoms are insane and insist on having whatever pairing they've devised, and networks now cater to them.

For those talking about will-they/won't they couples, that is not what Niles and Daphne were. She never thought twice about him until the writers shoehorned her into it just before her wedding to Donny, the guy she was really happy with. Although Niles was an adult, part of the joke of the show was the aptitude he and Frasier both had for acting like children. His crush on Daphne was the childish crush of a guy who up till now had only thought himself worthy of the freezing Maris. There was never the kind of chemistry between NIles and Daphne you could call unresolved sexual tension, even AFTER they married: it was all visible puppet-strings.

R83 is right that Daphne should have married Donny and, maybe even at the wedding, Niles should have met someone who was so nice to him in his "despair", and at the same time so compatible with his arty interests, that the following season he was able to break his pattern and move up in the relationship world. They could have got a lot of laughs out of neurotic Niles trying to interpret the intentions of a partner who was loving and giving, and also (Kelsey Grammer's ego permitting) from Frasier being left in his dust.

by Anonymousreply 88January 18, 2023 4:18 AM

These things never work with new sets. Half the fun is the original set.

by Anonymousreply 89January 18, 2023 4:22 AM

They couldn't marry Daphne off without her basically disappearing from the show. There would have been no reason for the wife of a successful lawyer to keep doing physical therapy or housecleaning.

by Anonymousreply 90January 18, 2023 5:08 AM

They could have easily explained it that she kept doing the PT because of her friendship with Martin. Some wives do work, you know.

by Anonymousreply 91January 18, 2023 6:31 AM

R91 She also acted as an ersatz maid and cook for the Crane men, though. What percentage of her time was spent on reimbursable medical duties? And she lived on the premises, which is uncommon for licensed health care workers.

The whole setup would be a nightmare come tax time.

by Anonymousreply 92January 18, 2023 3:14 PM

Keenan just had the knack that made Frasier the very smart comedy that it was known to be.

You can tell from the novels Keenan wrote that he brought the same sensibilities to the show.

The reboot will be a mess without him.

by Anonymousreply 93January 18, 2023 3:22 PM

Julia Garner would be spot on casting for Maris should they ever care to cast the character.

by Anonymousreply 94January 18, 2023 3:23 PM

What has Joe Keenan been doing since Frasier? Has he had any big successes?

by Anonymousreply 95January 18, 2023 3:24 PM

I can't believe someone tried to say that Daphne still living in Frasier's apartment and being their maid after marrying one of the most well-known and successful attorneys on the West Coast made sense "because some wives still work, you know."

by Anonymousreply 96January 18, 2023 4:09 PM

R94 Showing Maris would be like the cast of Gilligan's Island being rescued by the Coast Guard. It would be like showing the face of Charlie Townsend. It would be like the Connor family of Lanford winning the lottery.

It would ruin the show, not just by eliminating future jokes about Maris, but by finally answering the show's greatest mystery in what's sure to be a letdown.

by Anonymousreply 97January 18, 2023 5:00 PM

Now I'm wondering if we ever got to see Carlton, your doorman.

by Anonymousreply 98January 18, 2023 5:12 PM

[quote]What has Joe Keenan been doing since Frasier? Has he had any big successes?

He was a co-producer and writer during the middle period of Desperate Housewives.

He's also working on a fourth novel, this one a period piece unrelated to his three earlier ones.

by Anonymousreply 99January 18, 2023 8:18 PM

I wish Keenan would write another Gilbert and Philip book. Though I suppose they'd be in their 60s now.

by Anonymousreply 100January 18, 2023 9:46 PM

What's wrong with men in their 60s, r100? Joe Keenan is in his 60s.

by Anonymousreply 101January 18, 2023 11:23 PM

Keenan has written some episodes of Why Women Kill.

by Anonymousreply 102January 19, 2023 12:05 AM

R98, This is Carlton, your doorman. No, except for his arm once.

Same as we never saw but the arms of White Fang and Black Tooth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 19, 2023 3:11 AM

R97 it would be like dwarf Lucy Ewing becoming a top model! But wait…

by Anonymousreply 104January 21, 2023 4:29 AM

What is the point of this show? Is he broke? How can that be?

by Anonymousreply 105January 21, 2023 5:31 AM

On the one hand, this show having a new setting and cast will help it stand out from other revivals and perhaps give it a new voice. On the other, how they can hope to find an ensemble or premise that even comes close to the original is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 106January 21, 2023 5:51 AM

It’s looking certain it’s going to be a British show. Three of the cast revealed so far are British and it was also revealed this week Kelsey Grammer has just bought a house in Bristol. Grammer has been going on for years about a reboot and I don’t think a US Network has committed to it.

Nicholas Lyndhurst is an iconic U.K. sitcom star whose never been in any shows that transferred to the US. Whilst I know he’s Grammer’s friend, it feels his casting has been done to appeal to U.K. audiences. Which would imply there is U.K. investment.

by Anonymousreply 107January 21, 2023 9:48 AM

I've watched a lot of British TV and it's crazy when I come across a name like Nicholas Lyndhurst who is apparently considered iconic, yet I've never seen him in anything.

by Anonymousreply 108January 21, 2023 10:14 AM

That British aspect scares me a bit considering how awful branching out to Daphne's family turned out to be.

On the other hand, the character Frasier has been a quite flexible character. He made it successfully through two shows. He may do well again in yet another setting. Right now I'm curious how much of an ensemble show this is going to be. Will this be The Frasier Show like I Love Lucy for Lucille Ball, or an ensemble with equally strong characters like Friends, or in between like Frasier?

by Anonymousreply 109January 21, 2023 1:15 PM

But why would Freddie be a firefighter in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 110January 21, 2023 7:42 PM

Anders Keith is cast as Niles' and Daphne's son. So it looks like this will be more a show about the younger ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 26, 2023 12:55 AM

Niles and Daphne named their son "David"? Yes, I read that it's a tribute to David Angell, but I'd expect more a Trevor or a Spencer.

Frasier needs some foils his own age.

by Anonymousreply 112January 26, 2023 4:02 AM

Does anyone else think it might be set in London?

by Anonymousreply 113January 26, 2023 4:11 AM

Can’t these gaywad writers get off their unemployable asses and write a new show that isn’t a total fucking ripoff?

Does everything need to be a remake, sequel, or reboot? We don’t want more Night Court. Quantum Leap was fine how it ended. Jean-Luc Picard is 400 fucking years old already! And Frazier Crane - or his nephew, his son, and their suspiciously multiethnic band of peers in a wacky new environment - is not something America needs to see again.

Writers should do what their coke dealer does after a mule gets busted in customs: Get some new shit.

by Anonymousreply 114January 26, 2023 5:30 AM

[quote]gaywad writers

r114 is 12 years old and is still living in 1983.

by Anonymousreply 115January 26, 2023 11:02 AM

The guy playing Niles and Daphne’s son actually looks like he could be the offspring of Pierce and Leeves.

by Anonymousreply 116January 26, 2023 11:49 AM

r113 They'd have to have a really contrived reason for both Freddie and David to be in the UK. And the actress cast as the roommate is Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 117January 26, 2023 12:17 PM

I'm sorry, I must have missed it: Did it say anywhere that it would play in the UK? I know they cast a British comedian, but didn't read that the whole thing would be placed in the UK. To be honest, I would look forward to it: Move to a place where Frasier Crane is being out-poshed.

by Anonymousreply 118January 26, 2023 12:31 PM

Freddie could be a firefighter aspiring to the the-a-tre. Maybe he puts out a fire in the new Globe. David could be studying in London. Maybe Frasier's apartment could be near Covent Garden and its vibrancy.

I can see an episode where Frasier checks out, or happens upon, Speakers Corner, where he cracks wise in a heckle and then is encouraged to get up on the box and speak! After his usual Frasier faux-hesitancy (like in the "looking for Niles in the gay bar" dancing), Frasier gets up, starts declaiming, and feels the rush of power as the crowd gets riled up, both for and against him! Does he ultimately get rescued by Freddie? Stay tuned!

by Anonymousreply 119January 26, 2023 1:10 PM

r118 No, but it was speculated it might be set in the UK because of the casting of Lyndhurst, and the actor playing Freddie is English. Plus Grammar apparently recently bought a house in the UK.

But the other two cast members are American and Canadian, so makes that idea seem unlikely now.

by Anonymousreply 120January 26, 2023 1:49 PM

I don’t know if I can watch this without thinking of, and missing, the father. John Mahoney was fantastic in that role.

by Anonymousreply 121January 26, 2023 2:45 PM

[quote]Frasier needs some foils his own age.

Oh, don't worry, he will be constantly dating women 10-20 years younger with looks that would put them out of his reach even if they were his age. In reality a psychiatrist who was as incompetent at maintaining relationships as Frasier would have told his own therapist about it 30 years ago and got help. (Bring back Suzanne Pleshette.)

by Anonymousreply 122January 27, 2023 1:21 PM

[quote] Oh, don't worry, he will be constantly dating women 10-20 years younger

You're being way too conservative there (much like Kelsey in real life). No way Frasier going to be dating 47 year olds in this. Its college age or nothing.

by Anonymousreply 123January 27, 2023 1:37 PM

Kelsey Grammer made a watchable transplant movie a few years ago in which he was in bed with Julia Stiles.

by Anonymousreply 124January 27, 2023 1:56 PM

R122 An example of the sitcom premise ("A New Broad Every Week!") conflicting with the character's occupation and personality. Frasier Crane wasn't an emotional vacuum. He was just clumsy and farcical, as sitcom characters are. And the comedy works better if he's always on a first date with a new woman each week. A steady girlfriend would've had to be added to the cast, and every time they tried that, the fans hated it.

Jean Smart had a great recurring role, and Marsha Mason was great as the tacky old broad Martin was dating for a whole season, but it would've thrown off the group dynamic to add some girlfriend/wife from outside the cast.

by Anonymousreply 125January 27, 2023 2:15 PM

[quote]it would've thrown off the group dynamic to add some girlfriend/wife from outside the cast.

Oh, that’s just hooey!

by Anonymousreply 126January 27, 2023 2:36 PM

[quote]In reality a psychiatrist who was as incompetent

Remember the episode where he worries (because it'd be the worst thing in the world) that he might actually be gay because of a dream and him liking opera?

by Anonymousreply 127January 27, 2023 3:31 PM

[quote]Bring back Suzanne Pleshette.

Okay, but that's gonna smell.

by Anonymousreply 128January 27, 2023 3:34 PM

R125, I didn't think the crude loudmouth harridan of a mother played by Jean Smart was "great" at all!

And for all his love of the "normal" complete with his old recliner (where he experienced so many memorable moments), "Ordinary Joe" Martin Crane was nevertheless incompatible with the brash Blue-Collar Marsha Mason character. He was simply too old (and looked it), too cane-dependent, and too set in his ways for her.

The fact was, no woman could really be suitable for any of the Crane men!

by Anonymousreply 129January 27, 2023 6:39 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it’s not a big deal if Frasier dates people 10 years younger? Over the age of 25 who gives a shit?

Albeit actresses, say 9 years younger than Kelsey Grammer look significantly better because they barely eat, have completed hour of yoga a day, every day, since age 22 and the best dermatologists and cosmetic surgeons money can buy: Sandra Bullock, Sarah Lancashire, Famke Jansson, Marisa Tomei, Monica Belluci, Mary Louise Parker, Laura Linney, Rosie Perez, Vivica A. Fox.

In reality, a tall, cultured, sensitive and romantic doctor with Kelsey’s rubbery face and large stomach would have women in their 50s interested in him.

by Anonymousreply 130January 28, 2023 4:50 AM

"In reality, a doctor would have women interested in him."

FIFY, R 130.

by Anonymousreply 131January 28, 2023 8:08 AM

I never thought the drawn-out plot of Niles pining for Daphne was remotely believable because the character of Niles seemed very, very gay, and not because the actor who played him is gay. For that matter, I could never buy John Mahoney's character as the father of those two prisspots Frasier and Niles.

by Anonymousreply 132January 28, 2023 8:32 AM

Boy, you and Niles. It's been the same since you were kids. If one of you has something, the other one always has to have it too. I had to buy two Balinese lutes, two découpage kits, two pairs of lederhosen. When you finally moved out of the house that was one embarrassing garage sale.

by Anonymousreply 133January 28, 2023 8:56 AM

R133! A nutshell example of the unique brilliance of "Frasier"!

by Anonymousreply 134January 28, 2023 11:43 AM

Frasier has returned to Boston!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 1, 2023 5:52 PM

Jimmy Burrows doesn’t come cheap.

by Anonymousreply 136February 1, 2023 7:21 PM

It's sad that if Frasier is the same age as Kelsey Grammer (67), he's starting over once again, instead of gearing up for retirement.

I guess his love affair with Charlotte didn't work out after all in that debacle of a series finale. The trouble is, Lilith was perfect for the character, but they couldn't have a happily married Frasier relocate to Seattle while still married.

by Anonymousreply 137February 1, 2023 7:40 PM

But without his Seattle haunts, where could Frasier possibly go in Boston if he felt like hanging out with friends and drinking? Hmmm….

by Anonymousreply 138February 1, 2023 11:38 PM

I’m glad his relationship with Charlotte didn’t work. She was a scam artist.

by Anonymousreply 139February 2, 2023 12:18 AM

Will we be treated with more shirtless scenes with hunky Kelsey?

by Anonymousreply 140February 2, 2023 12:48 AM

Jesus Christ! Let's hope not R140.

by Anonymousreply 141February 2, 2023 1:17 AM

“ This looks as exciting as the Night Court revival they did a few weeks ago.”

by Anonymousreply 142February 2, 2023 1:40 AM

Kelsey interviewed on Fox Digital. I’ll link to Reddit to avoid the Fox link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 2, 2023 2:59 AM

>During his interview with Fox News Digital, Grammer opened up about the new Paramount+ "Frasier" revival series, in which he is reprising his role as the titular radio psychiatrist.

>On Monday, casting director Jeff Greenberg confirmed that the production was officially moving forward as he shared an image of the script for the revival's pilot episode in a now-deleted tweet.

>The first page of the script revealed the episode's title "The Good Father," which is an homage to the title of the original series' 1993 pilot "The Good Son."

>Executive producers Joe Christalli and Chris Harris were credited as writers while "Cheers" co-creator James Burrow, who helmed the original "Frasier" pilot and many episodes of the series, was listed as the director.

>"And so it begins. Again," Greenberg wrote.

>Though the upcoming show, which is also titled "Frasier" has been billed as a reboot of the original show, which itself was a spinoff of "Cheers," Grammer said that description was not exactly accurate.

>"It's technically not really a reboot," he told Fox News Digital.

>"It's another spinoff to a spinoff within a spinoff within a, you know, a mystery within an enigma," Grammer added with a laugh.

>He continued, "Technically it's act four for Frasier because he went off to Chicago for 18 years, supposedly, and then had a life there that we don't really know about. We'll discover some of what happened there in the subsequent shows."

>"We are very excited about this new world that he's stepping into and this new Frasier that he's going to be carving out," Grammer added. "And there will be some return visits from the legacy cast of the "Frasier" show. But it became clear that that was not going to be what we were going to do."

>"We weren't going to do the same bunch in a similar place or whatever, because Frasier had already left there anyway, which I think is kind of important in terms of energizing the move to another place. And so there's one more place in store, and that's what we're very excited about."

by Anonymousreply 144February 2, 2023 3:06 AM

>While longtime fans might be disappointed to learn that Frasier will not be returning to his old stomping grounds of Seattle, Grammer teased that nostalgic viewers will have much to look forward to with the revival.

>"I can assure the audience that it will still be playing up to the audience," he said. "That the old sort of indelible thing about our show was always we tried not to make contemporary culture too much a part of it so that it would date itself. "

>"And also we always thought, you know, maybe we play like everybody is as smart as the smartest people we know, instead of sort of a medium-like average of a ten-year-old. And it seemed to bear some fruit for us in the past. So we're we're thrilled to mount the show again in that way with that frame of mind."

>Grammer is also executive producing the revival, which was picked up for a full first season in October, according to Deadline.

>When asked if there was any fun fact that longtime fans would be surprised to learn about his beloved character, Grammer admitted that he had "never really thought about it."

>"He pretty much wears his heart on his sleeve," Grammer explained. "He's been an honest, open, tortured, you know, staggering, onward, rejoicing, human being for a long time."

>The four-time Emmy Award winner continued, "He's been an inspiration to me on some level, because he no matter how hard you knock them down, he still bounces up like one of those funny clowns, you know, sort of weighted on the bottom."

>"He comes in for another lick," he added. "I think what's remarkable about him — I think what they may be surprised about is how still timely it will be that Frasier is still continuing his odyssey through this emotional landscape and through his dreams of becoming the best version of himself he can be. That's kind of been his motivation all this time. And to do the work."

>Grammer went on to say, "That's something that is arguably not in practice as much as it used to be, I think. But in this medium, in this particular style of show, if you don't have that connection, it's not going to fly. The comedy is not going to fly."

>"So it's got to be rooted in something important, which is us. It's us, our life, our experience, the things we go through. And whether or not we are sort of obedient to the decorative manias of society, that's not as important as long as we maintain our rudder about playing up to the audience and being connected to the human heart, I think we're going to be fine."

>"Everybody's looking for love. Everybody's looking to be appreciated. Everybody's looking to mean something. I don't think that's changed for thousands of years."

by Anonymousreply 145February 2, 2023 4:06 AM

Everybody's looking for something.

by Anonymousreply 146February 2, 2023 6:34 PM

[quote] he is reprising his role as the titular radio psychiatrist.

He’s transitioning too?!

Oh, I don’t know about that.

by Anonymousreply 147February 2, 2023 7:02 PM

A few posters on the Frasier Reddit group attended this week’s taping of the pilot episode and each gave it a thumb’s up…for what it’s worth.

by Anonymousreply 148February 5, 2023 1:46 AM

The Frasier Reddit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 5, 2023 4:22 AM

The Frasier Reddit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150February 5, 2023 4:22 AM

The Frasier Reddit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 5, 2023 4:22 AM

The Frasier Reddit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152February 5, 2023 4:22 AM

It’s a laugh track sitcom? For some reason I was picturing a more modern, single camera show.

by Anonymousreply 153February 5, 2023 4:30 AM

I mean, it'll be like nearly every other reboot: there will be two or maybe three seasons, it'll get the low end of decent ratings, people will be fine with it but not excited about it, and when it renews there will be a lot of people asking why, because it's so boring.

by Anonymousreply 154February 5, 2023 4:32 AM

That guy who posted about attending a "Frasier" taping hadn't posted for 8 months until he showed up for this post, he's a Republican like Grammer, a cryptobro, and doesn't seem to have posted in the "Frasier" subreddit before, unless it was well over three years ago.

I'll wait for other reviews, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 155February 5, 2023 4:38 AM

[quote]Kelsey got emotional as he introduced himself

Hahaha

by Anonymousreply 156February 5, 2023 5:03 AM

What I found sad about the Frasier finale is that after moving home and building relationships with his brother and father again, he throws that all away to pursue "love." It would have been a more satisfying ending if Frasier had grown enough to be content with his familial relationships, instead of forever chasing a romantic love that eluded him.

by Anonymousreply 157February 5, 2023 12:29 PM

^ I kinda agree. You know how it goes: As soon people get married the dynamic changes, and you never get to see them anymore. Especially when you're the only single left in a group, you're on your own. You need to look after yourself. And when things are changing anyway, it frees you up to do something completely different.

by Anonymousreply 158February 5, 2023 1:23 PM

Well his father is dead.

by Anonymousreply 159February 5, 2023 10:38 PM

R157, I did find that sad too. But he was home, no Daphne, no Martin, Niles too busy with the baby. Still alone.

by Anonymousreply 160February 6, 2023 7:34 AM

If only he could have learned the lesson that he was insufferable.

If only Grammer could have learned the lesson that he was not the reason anyone watched either of his successful shows.

by Anonymousreply 161February 6, 2023 1:06 PM

I was very encouraged by the reddit comments. My fingers are firmly crossed for a fab first season.

I know this might be controversial, but I don't think I'll miss Daphne. The fun-loving Daphne of the original disappeared halfway through the original run. Niles, however, was brilliant. Nicholas Lyndhurst has big shoes to fill, but if anyone can do it, he can.

by Anonymousreply 162February 6, 2023 7:14 PM

I was never particularly a fan of Daphne - or Martin. The characters both tended to be extremely one note.

Niles was MVP, and Roz was fun and a good balance to the rest of the zany characters.

I prefer the character of Frasier on Cheers. Watching Frasier reruns on Hulu, I forgot how overly camp he could be. Kelsey was great whenever he played the quieter, more dramatic moments, but some of his comedic scenes could be a bit cringe.

The cast genuinely seemed to love one another on all of the Zoom reunions during Covid. I hope DHP and Kelsey didn’t have a falling out over this. It seems like all of these reboots have caused feuds among cast members who once loved one another - Roseanne, Will and Grace, S&TC (well maybe not the last one so much😏).

by Anonymousreply 163February 6, 2023 7:56 PM

I temporarily lost love for Daphne and Niles when they ran off together and left two people devastated in their wake. But they Eventually won me over again.

by Anonymousreply 164February 6, 2023 8:01 PM

[quote] could be a bit cringe.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 165February 6, 2023 8:31 PM

I’m very curious how Frasier being back in Boston will affect the storylines. Unless they establish that Cheers has closed (a risky proposition), it may be odd if he constantly avoids the place.

by Anonymousreply 166February 6, 2023 8:31 PM

[quote] I know this might be controversial, but I don't think I'll miss Daphne. The fun-loving Daphne of the original disappeared halfway through the original run.

I don’t see that as controversial. I agree wholeheartedly with it.

by Anonymousreply 167February 6, 2023 8:32 PM

This obscure Andrew Lloyd Webber song could theoretically work as the show’s theme, LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168February 6, 2023 8:40 PM

Anybody of color in the cast?

by Anonymousreply 169February 6, 2023 9:18 PM

R169 The two female cast members, Jess Salgueiro and Toks Olagundoye. The first is playing Freddie’s roommate, the second is the head of Boston University’s psychiatry department.

by Anonymousreply 170February 7, 2023 9:55 PM

They should've used the twist of having him date or be married to Jennifer Beals.

by Anonymousreply 171February 7, 2023 9:59 PM

I'd love to see Bebe Glazer return, but can't see how they could manage that now Frasier's moved again.

by Anonymousreply 172February 8, 2023 8:19 AM

TV can make it work.

Maybe Bebe moved to Massachusetts for a larger market. Who knows, but in Cheers remember that Frasier’s father was supposedly dead. (They explained that away by saying they had had a fight and Frasier was pissed, so he said he was dead.)

by Anonymousreply 173February 8, 2023 1:30 PM

We also met Frasier's mother in Cheers. She was totally unlike the portrait of her we got in Frasier, which was designed to explain why the boys resembled Martin so little.

TV can't really "make it work". Sitcoms just don't care if they creak here and there. (Seeking Richie Cunningham's older brother since 1975.)

by Anonymousreply 174February 8, 2023 1:49 PM

Bebe and Martin were the best characters.

by Anonymousreply 175February 12, 2023 10:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!