Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Austin Butler

I decided to finally watch Elvis. For the life of me, I don’t get it. There are better Elvis impersonators in Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 253February 20, 2023 5:21 PM

ur in the minority.... he the biggest star around these days...and the movie is a blockbuster. he waves to u on his way to the top.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2023 1:50 AM

This kid has the wrong-shaped head.

I refuse to pay money on kitsch-merchant Luhrmann.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2023 1:58 AM

R1: Please if anything he’ll be the next Rami Malek or Taron Egerton.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2023 1:58 AM

I'm a high school teacher, and my girl students are obsessed with him.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2023 2:02 AM

He was chosen out of many to star in the next Dune with timmy.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2023 2:02 AM

He has a horse face.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2023 2:03 AM

He's an asshole. Vanessa Hudgens supported him for 10 years. He gets one big movie and dumps her. Classic prick move.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2023 2:03 AM

The name 'Austin Butler' is redolent of the postbellum South, rotten magnolias and corruption.

Being involved with Luhrmann makes him stinkier.

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2023 2:08 AM

R5 Yes, he'll be playing Feyd, the guy who was supposed to impregnate Timmy.

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2023 2:19 AM

The top half of its face is so cute

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2023 2:20 AM

vanessa , the gal who they have all had a crack at......meh

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2023 2:21 AM

It had a few false starts but never took off. Great trailer though.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2023 2:30 AM

He made a cute elf, but looks kind of weird otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2023 2:31 AM

With Hudgens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2023 2:32 AM

He looks nothing like Elvis, acts nothing like Elvis, speaks nothing like Elvis, hasn't a scintilla of Elvis' charisma, and doesn't do his own singing.

Angela Bassett wasn't a dead ringer for Tina Turner, but she embodied her. This kid isn't even close. I don't understand the praise for this performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2023 2:36 AM

The real Elvis was certainly better looking, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2023 2:50 AM

first vanessa, then kaia, checking off all the boxes,,,,,,the gals all want a piece of his hotness.....

STAR......oscar bound !

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2023 3:10 AM

Does he have a horse cock is the question R6.

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2023 3:14 AM

Has he ever been in anything else? I've never heard of him and didn't the film flop completely?

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2023 3:15 AM

[quote] Has he ever been in anything else?

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2023 3:17 AM

He might get an Oscar nom but will not win.

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2023 3:23 AM

So no R20.

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2023 3:28 AM

R6 Raises an important question!

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2023 3:37 AM

u will eat crow when he walks away with the oscar darling........ and yes vanessa says he is hung BIG

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2023 3:39 AM

He was the lead in The Shannara Chronicles. It wasn’t picked up for Season 3 after the second season ratings plummeted lower than your standards at 3am on a Saturday night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2023 3:45 AM

At best, his look is 'interesting', and he's got a few years at most before he fugs out entirely.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2023 3:46 AM

CHECK OUT THE MOVIES HE HAS LINED UP TO BE IN. quite impressive.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2023 3:48 AM

R25 Droopy-face.

Does he have any body?

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2023 4:12 AM

his eyes are too close together. I didn't like him as elvis.

But i've seen him in person and he is very good looking.

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2023 4:44 AM

R29 - that's strange - because on film, I don't find him attractive at all. He's not handsome. He had no business playing Elvis.

He is one of those actors where you just scratch your head and ask why? Why does he have a career over thousands of others?

I just don't see it. Because he dated famous women? In today's culture, I guess that's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2023 4:57 AM

Average to below average. When he doesn't get his angles right he looks almost like a Keebler elf in the face.

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2023 5:19 AM

He was in THE ICEMAN COMETH on Broadway. He’s a real actor.

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2023 5:29 AM

[quote] THE ICEMAN COMETH

That's the play designed to make the audience fall asleep in the first hour. There's an interval and they they fall asleep over the ensuing three hours.

by Anonymousreply 33January 12, 2023 5:36 AM

^Lmao R33. You don't sound very optimistic about Austin's career.

by Anonymousreply 34January 12, 2023 5:46 AM

R26 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2023 12:40 PM

I thought he was bizarrely alien-looking in Elvis. i don't get the hype. And does he really talk like he did when he accepted his Golden Globe? It sounded like an affect.

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2023 12:54 PM

He's very cute and as he gets older, he will be handsome.

As far as his career, I hope he picks the right projects to get critical respect and become a fine actor. Leave all the 'fantasy sci-fi / Marvel superheroes' to the other actors. He needs to be daring and take chances with his future roles.

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2023 1:03 PM

[quote] ur in the minority.... he the biggest star around these days...and the movie is a blockbuster. he waves to u on his way to the top.

How nice to see developmentally disabled posters at the DL, too.

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2023 1:09 PM

Having seen him in things before, I think he’s an absolutely mediocre actor that shouldn’t even be in the conversation, but WB is desperate to make him happen. It’s why they shoved him into the Dune sequel right after Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2023 1:18 PM

He didn't necessarily suit fat old Elvis, but he did seem to have the physicality of young, sexy Elvis. As for his acting, aside from being a Gold Start Momma's Boy, you don't really learn much of EP's inner life (or if he had one at all), so it's hard to say.

by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2023 2:18 PM

R39: Why do they always want mediocre white boys to happen the most? This guy is a Disney actor at best.

by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2023 5:42 PM

Clack your fan harder, r41

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2023 6:26 PM

Did WB buy his Golden Globe? Because I've heard stuff like that happens.

by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2023 7:17 PM

No tea, no shade: but it is "interesting" that Denzel went out of his way to cast him in "Iceman Cometh." He definitely had a presence onstage; you noticed him even though his role was large and the it was a fairly big cast. I thought he looked better then that he has lately.

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2023 7:41 PM

R43: Probably. The HFPA is back and corrupt as ever.

by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2023 8:10 PM

I know this site hates him but in addition to Lisa’s family, I feel really bad for Austin. He clearly had a bond with Lisa and he just thanked her telling her he loved her in his Golden Globes speech. I know he and Baz are devastated by the news of Lisa’s death.

I had a crappy year last year and can honestly say watching the Elvis movie in theaters was one of the highlights of it. I loved Austin’s performance and can’t remember the last time I was moved by a biopic performance like that. I’ll be happy for him if he wins the Oscar but I know the rest of this awards season is going to be tainted for him.

by Anonymousreply 46January 13, 2023 6:39 AM

Austin is coming for that Oscar. He should milk Lisa Marie's death.

by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2023 8:23 AM

It would be incredibly tacky if he did so, and to be frank I don't think this will increase his chances.

by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2023 8:35 AM

This race is between Farrell and Fraser.

by Anonymousreply 49January 13, 2023 8:52 AM

He’s really not attractive, which shouldn’t matter a great deal. Neither are Redmayne, Cillian Murphy, or Cumberbatch. The problem is he can’t act and has no charisma or magnetism. If he can act, it’s not been apparent yet. If he can act, he hides it well and can’t summon it easily.

I have no particular affection for Elvis so his performance didn’t offend me. But the hype is baffling, as it so often is in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 50January 13, 2023 9:04 AM

He looks like some backwater hillbilly redneck single wide dweller with that ugly long horse face. He has nowhere near the charisma, handsomeness, charm or talent of Elvis. And it’s a Luhrmann movie. Was he even visible for more than a millisecond at a time? Is there even a performance that hasn’t been edited and overproduced within an inch of its life?

by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2023 11:54 AM

So hot he snagged cindy crawfords model daughter as his girlfriend......she wants the BEST

by Anonymousreply 52January 13, 2023 11:56 AM

^ lol

by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2023 12:00 PM

I had a different reaction to Butler's performance as Elvis than those who disliked him, or don't see the "charisma" of him as Elvis.

I started from the premise, and still am there, that no human could ever convey a performance of him that could capture how truly unique, charismatic, beautiful, tragic, corny, cartoonish, offensive, pitiful, talented; pick your adjective, that was Elvis Aaron Presley.

And I consider myself pretty-well informed on Elvis. Anybody who has read both volumes of Peter Guralnick's exhaustive, superb, biography of Elvis, "Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley" and "Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley" , as I have, can, fairly, say that about themselves.

I didn't have an agenda about Butler, either. I had no idea who he was before "Elvis".

Butler is superb as Elvis.

True, Butler doesn't emit, and, Lurhmann can't concoct from his bag of tricks for the Big Screen, what one critic described as Presley's "air of dangerous virility".

But then again, give me a name me who could?

by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2023 12:33 PM

^ give me a name of who could?

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2023 12:35 PM

I had assumed he was southern and that was playing into his ridiculous accent. I can't believe the motherfucker grew up in shit hole Anaheim. What a tool!

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2023 12:49 PM

He’s beautiful. Natural blonde, thick hair, blue eyes with big lips and high cheekbones, wtf. I don’t know how you guys could call this man ugly. He’s nowhere near ugly.

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2023 12:55 PM

[quote]He should milk Lisa Marie

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2023 1:08 PM

Austin is the hottest thing in hwood now....the bitch is a star and u know it.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2023 1:09 PM

What's weird -- Butler lost his mother when he was a child and LMP recently lost a son who was about Austin's age. Now they had come together to tell a story about her father which connected them on some level and they probably liked each other at least a little bit.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2023 8:50 PM

If Butler wins an Oscar, Chalamet is going to commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2023 1:48 PM

Lisa Marie Presley’s death has guaranteed Austin the Oscar for Best Actor.

by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2023 2:02 PM

R52, So did Pete Davidson.

by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2023 2:03 PM

R49, Colin Farrell’s movie is so overrated. I tried to watch it, but bailed after 45 minutes and read the plot of the rest of the movie online.

So slow, so boring, so dull . . .

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2023 2:06 PM

His face has absolutely no masculinity to it.

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2023 9:46 PM

[quote] His face has absolutely no masculinity to it.

And that's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2023 9:48 PM

R66: Um if you like effeminate twinks then sure.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2023 9:50 PM

Did the Presley's have some sort of financial investment in this film, because they all crawled out of their caves to promote it. At the very least, maybe a bump in Elvis music downloads or Graceland tourists? If you're as poor as Lisa appears to have been, any trickle of money might have been welcomed.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2023 10:53 PM

It’s the second highest grossing music biopic of all time, so there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 69January 14, 2023 11:57 PM

Hugely successful film, lauded by the critics.....he will win for sure....

by Anonymousreply 70January 15, 2023 1:47 PM

Anticipating a win by Austin will be good for Oscar ratings

He will give a tearful acceptance speech paying tribute to Lisa Marie, with multiple shots of Priscilla and Riley sitting in the audience.

The Academy loves scenarios like this, i. e. the years Peter Finch and Heath Ledger won.

by Anonymousreply 71January 15, 2023 2:12 PM

hELL, AUSTINS taint smells like priscilla's lipstick (FROSTED PINK COCONUT)

by Anonymousreply 72January 15, 2023 2:28 PM

I think you're missing something really key: Finch and Ledger won posthumously. Butler is young and alive and really doesn't have much of a resume to speak. Also, not for nothing but Elvis has been dead for 45 years. If the academy didn't want to posthumously award Chadwick Boseman when he had death and race in his favor, then I don't see them wanting to reward a 31 year old for his first big role just out of sympathy for Lisa Marie. They really aren't that sentimental but then again Oscars are still two months away so anything can happen. If Butler does win, it will be a clear confirmation of what a joke the Oscars have become and if it happens I hope he doesn't go on to do anything of significance ever again.

by Anonymousreply 73January 15, 2023 2:28 PM

Fucking yuck R71 that sounds disgusting and nauseating and I'm hoping he doesn't even get nominated now. He will lose if nominated, it's hardly an Oscar winning performance, it should go to Farrell instead whose a veteran and a far superior actor. Austin has to be the most bland overrated novice to emerge in the past few years. Even Timothee is more deserving than Mr wonderbread butler.

by Anonymousreply 74January 15, 2023 3:19 PM

R73, The average age of Academy members is up there. They would be more likely to honor Elvis Presley, as they did Judy when Renee won, than Chadwick Boseman.

The Oscars love sentimentality.

Elizabeth Taylor won in 1960 for almost dying and undergoing a tracheotomy, beating more worthy nominees Shirley MacLaine and Deborah Kerr.

by Anonymousreply 75January 15, 2023 3:32 PM

R74: Butler and Fraser don't even deserve to be in the conversation let alone nominated.

by Anonymousreply 76January 15, 2023 4:05 PM

Butler was amazing and deserves to win and I’m tired of people hating on him.

by Anonymousreply 77January 15, 2023 5:54 PM

I can’t fault Butler for being thirsty when this was his big break after years of starring on Nickelodeon and CW shows and he had a lot depending on him. Is the voice change silly? Yes but it’s not harming anyone so shut up already.

by Anonymousreply 78January 15, 2023 5:59 PM

I don’t want him to get backlash like Rami Malek (although Austin would be deserving of his Oscar unlike Rami) so maybe it’s for the best if he doesn’t win.

by Anonymousreply 79January 15, 2023 6:00 PM

Michael St. Gerard embodied Elvis. Shame that hottie did not get a bigger career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 15, 2023 6:08 PM

Butler's appeal escapes me entirely, but it's clear that SOMEBODY must think he's the most amazing, attractive talent ever given how hard he's being pushed.

by Anonymousreply 81January 15, 2023 6:35 PM

How exactly is he being pushed? He knocked it out of the park in Elvis and is rightfully getting recognition for it.

by Anonymousreply 82January 15, 2023 6:39 PM

Timothee feels more pushed than Austin to me.

by Anonymousreply 83January 15, 2023 6:39 PM

R82 You mean apart from WB's enormous campaign and the fact that they shoehorned him into another WB production?

R79 Rami didn't deserve the Oscar but he's still 10 times the actor that Austin Butler is, even if that awful Elvis impression has you fooled.

by Anonymousreply 84January 15, 2023 6:47 PM

Rami was mediocre in Bohemian Rhapsody

by Anonymousreply 85January 15, 2023 6:50 PM

Emma Stone won an Oscar for essentially playing herself in La La Land and she couldn’t sing or dance either. Where’s the backlash for her?

by Anonymousreply 86January 15, 2023 6:51 PM

I think Austin would look better if he'd gain a few pounds.

by Anonymousreply 87January 15, 2023 7:22 PM

[quote] I think Austin would look better if he'd gain a few pounds.

No.

by Anonymousreply 88January 15, 2023 7:23 PM

[quote] He will lose if nominated, it's hardly an Oscar winning performance, it should go to Farrell instead whose a veteran and a far superior actor. Austin has to be the most bland overrated novice to emerge in the past few years. Even Timothee is more deserving than Mr wonderbread butler.

"Veteran"? That's funny. 20 years ago it was Farrell who was the "overrated novice" being pushed by the Hollywood machine. I guess every dog has its day.

by Anonymousreply 89January 15, 2023 9:29 PM

Well the HFPA got it right, pass.

by Anonymousreply 90January 16, 2023 9:33 AM

He thought he was gonna ride the sympathy train all the way to the Oscars. You could see the anger and disappointment on his face when Fraser won at Critics Choice. Somebody should tell him a GG win is never predictive of Oscar success. His irritating face and massive ego are really something. Somebody needs to knock this one hit wonder hack down a peg.

by Anonymousreply 91January 16, 2023 2:20 PM

He just suffered a personal loss a few days ago and now people are coming for him for looking “mad.” BS. He and Brendan have been friendly this awards season and I saw footage of when they announced Brendan’s win on Twitter and you could see Austin in the background looking happy for him. Give it up haters.

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2023 5:14 PM

If anyone is riding the sympathy wave it’s Brendan. His narrative has little to do with his performance and everything to do with his comeback and personal struggles.

by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2023 5:15 PM

[quote]I started from the premise, and still am there, that no human could ever convey a performance of him that could capture how truly unique, charismatic, beautiful, tragic, corny, cartoonish, offensive, pitiful, talented; pick your adjective, that was Elvis Aaron Presley.

Well, it's "Aron," but yeah, you're exactly right.

My dad's family are hillbillies, probably Melungeon, and when I was growing up in the 1970s there were a lot of guys around that were still like Elvis, these mama's boys who had good hearts but were also freaky sex hounds who committed a string of minor felonies every weekend, just to have fun. They were all sort of emotionally and intellectually off kilter, too, without being fully stupid or corrupt or anything like that.

Elvis was different because of his looks and charisma. Butler didn't nail Elvis' personality, but even if he had, he would have been wrong for the role because of his looks and base personality. (The same went for Rami Malek, too. Far too ugly to be Freddie Mercury and without the boyish, genial charm.)

How could you ever mimic the crazy combination of things that made Elvis who he was? You can't do it. You can't do it with Marilyn Monroe or Judy Garland, either. You can maybe capture an idea of them, one aspect, or one moment in time if you work hard enough, but a movie meant to span several years or even a whole career? Impossible.

There are just some celebrities you can't capture. You could do a great biopic on the Rolling Stones, for example, but you'd never get the Beatles right.

by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2023 5:23 PM

Didn't Fraser bail out of his career traumatized for life after one incident of a HFPA official groping him at an industry event? (You'd think his role in [italic]Gods and Monsters[/italic] might have prepared him to withstand the horror of such a violation, given that he probably had to act out multiple takes of being assaulted while naked...) He should call up Tippi Hedren or Shelly Duvall if he wants to hear about surviving real mistreatment by powerful industry figures.

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2023 10:53 PM

Does Brendan Fraser really have to start bawling like a 12 year old girl each time he’s presented an award?

by Anonymousreply 96January 17, 2023 4:40 AM

More Austin pics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 17, 2023 6:27 AM

Agree R96

Saw him on Jimmy Kimmel, who is a genial and kind interviewer. Fraser was tremulous, seemed shaky. No doubt he is eaten up with anxiety and social phobias. Perhaps someone less vulnerable would have shaken off the lasting effects of his assault. That may have been the last straw for him stress wise.

by Anonymousreply 98January 17, 2023 12:05 PM

R98, Wasn’t the “assault” just a hand on his thigh?

by Anonymousreply 99January 17, 2023 12:18 PM

He really committed to the wiggle for sure. I thought he was great in this scene and in the scene that concert that gets him sent off into the army.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 17, 2023 1:11 PM

"Trouble" at Russwood Park

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 17, 2023 1:17 PM

austin is a GOD

by Anonymousreply 102January 19, 2023 7:53 AM

R100 Seriously? Ive seen better Elvis impersonators at the mall. That looked like an SNL version of an Elvis performance. If he wins an Oscar for this trash the academy will officially become the comedy club.

by Anonymousreply 103January 19, 2023 10:32 AM

R103 when will you realize that a multi-million dollar major motion picture is not going to have an impersonator play the role of Elvis. People keep saying they have seen better impersonators. When you do a biopic you are not impersonating someone, you are capturing their essence, even if you don't actually resemble the person. Michelle Williams hardly looks like Marilyn Monroe, but she definitely captured her in My Week with Marilyn. And that is something Austin Butler did very well - as Elvis's own ex-wife and daughter have said. They didn't have to say anything at all, just as they've said nothing for the hundreds of films about Elvis. And they certainly don't need the money or the publicity from promoting this movie. I would take their word over yours.

Frankly I think you are talking out of your ass at this point, searching for something "witty and scatching," to say.

by Anonymousreply 104January 19, 2023 12:02 PM

The first thing out of the mouths of queens like R103 if Austin Butler had done what they are suggesting would have been - "That wasn't acting, he just did an Elvis impersonation."

by Anonymousreply 105January 19, 2023 12:05 PM

104 and R105 he aint winning no Oscar Bitches get over it. He's not going to fuck you either get over it. All that diatribe for a shallow actor who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Or if you wanted him to.

by Anonymousreply 106January 19, 2023 12:26 PM

^R104

by Anonymousreply 107January 19, 2023 12:28 PM

Butler’s PR is working overtime in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 108January 19, 2023 12:30 PM

For decades, the AAs have been a joke.

For years, and this will continue, the only reasons I tuned in to the Oscars is to read, post on, and laugh at the DL threads about the Red Carpet fashions and the embarrassing spectacle of the telecast itself.

So, I don't give an At's Rass if Butler wins or loses the Oscar and I certainly have no agenda about him as a person or actor.

Austin Butler put in a superb performance as Elvis Presley.

by Anonymousreply 109January 19, 2023 12:56 PM

Austin backstage at SNL about to be introduced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 19, 2023 1:01 PM

Thank you r109, I'm r104 / r105. I was going to say the same thing, but you said it for me.

I have no agenda for the man. I had no idea who he was before I saw the movie. But he did deliver a superb performance.

by Anonymousreply 111January 19, 2023 2:13 PM

R110 He was awkward as hell on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 112January 21, 2023 3:03 AM

I love horsey faces, but Austin's tiny nose ruins his looks, IMO.

I think Gen Z love him because he's a mix; slightly girly face but tall and deep-voiced. And they're not comparing him to a real experience of Elvis. For them, seeing a Nickelodeon guy do all those Elvis things must be hot. My 21-year-old niece has seen it 9 times.

by Anonymousreply 113January 21, 2023 5:48 AM

Fake deep voice!

by Anonymousreply 114January 21, 2023 2:15 PM

The man is pure honey...

by Anonymousreply 115January 21, 2023 2:46 PM

R115 uh sure, if you’re a dog looking for a sticky-licky.

Otherwise only an older unattractive bear is after his honeypot.

🤮

by Anonymousreply 116January 21, 2023 2:50 PM

JEALOUS LOSERS !

by Anonymousreply 117January 23, 2023 11:36 AM

Ick! He's dating Kaia Gerber.

by Anonymousreply 118January 23, 2023 6:34 PM

R118, Sloppy seconds.

by Anonymousreply 119January 23, 2023 8:34 PM

R117 Shut it, fatass has-been.

by Anonymousreply 120January 23, 2023 10:17 PM

His mancunt is beyond compare, thus spake Baz.

by Anonymousreply 121January 25, 2023 8:40 AM

I wonder if it's better than Bow Wow's legendary bomb-ass pussy, r121.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 25, 2023 9:11 AM

Rami Malek was terrible as Freddie Mercury. There wasn’t a lick of the real Freddie in his performance whatsoever. The movie made him into a weirdo like Michael Jackson. All it takes is to watch a minute of an interview of Freddie to see how shitty the movie and Rami was.

by Anonymousreply 123January 25, 2023 9:23 AM

I think I would've appreciated "Elivs" more if there was new territory being covered. Since there's not, I didn't even finish it. Butler's performance is completely overrated. Elvis was such a CORNY, exaggerated character that any actor's take on him seems more satire than an actual character study. I felt the same about Malek and his take on Freddie Mercury. There was no nuisance. He was consistently "On" most of the movie.

The bigger question is did we REALLY need an Elvis biopic

by Anonymousreply 124January 25, 2023 12:21 PM

The movie helped me finally understand what made Elvis so iconic and great as an artist. Austin captures that perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 125January 25, 2023 12:45 PM

And I’m glad Lisa got to watch it before she passed away.

by Anonymousreply 126January 25, 2023 12:48 PM

I feel like a lot of people are projecting their own disdain for Elvis onto Austin, which doesn’t seem fair.

by Anonymousreply 127January 25, 2023 12:51 PM

OP leave the judging to the Hollywood experts. Run along and don't forget to pay your Netflix bill.

by Anonymousreply 128January 25, 2023 12:58 PM

I'm actually an Elvis fan which is why I didn't need to finish the movie. I just wanted to see what Butler did with it. It came across as more imitation than a great performance.

If you want to see a great performance that balances imitation with character development, see Theron in "Monster" or Jeremy Renner in "Dahmer" I mean...I love Evan Peters, but I felt he was doing an over-the-top imitation of Dahmer.

by Anonymousreply 129January 25, 2023 1:08 PM

R129 They played serial killers. Feels odd to compare them to a music biopic performance.

by Anonymousreply 130January 25, 2023 1:19 PM

I am happy this movie created Elvis fans in the younger generations.

by Anonymousreply 131January 25, 2023 1:55 PM

^ I’m younger and it made Elvis seem more like a clown who captured a hysterical fan base. Butler was perfect for the part. Woulda been nice if someone reasonably attractive was cast instead. Elvis had a few moments of a certain kind of hotness in his younger days.

by Anonymousreply 132January 26, 2023 12:37 AM

Maybe there's a Phil Spector biopic in the works to bridge the gap, R130?

by Anonymousreply 133January 26, 2023 1:31 AM

R133, didn’t Al Pacino do that already?

by Anonymousreply 134January 26, 2023 1:39 AM

She's so petty. And I love her for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 26, 2023 10:19 AM

^ Vanessa is kinda pretty but only made up and from certain angles. There are a lot of bad pics of her.

by Anonymousreply 136January 26, 2023 10:29 AM

Petty, R136.

by Anonymousreply 137January 26, 2023 4:14 PM

o dear, hudgens is one fugly cunt....

by Anonymousreply 138January 29, 2023 5:31 AM

Aint she Bieber's old piece of ass?

by Anonymousreply 139January 29, 2023 6:08 AM

R139 No Efron. Try and keeo up.

by Anonymousreply 140January 29, 2023 8:56 AM

The Oscar campaign continues . . . Austin is on Jimmy Fallon tonight.

by Anonymousreply 141January 30, 2023 12:52 PM

I like Austin but I kinda hope he doesn’t win the Oscar. It’ll just lead to more backlash for him and Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 142January 30, 2023 8:34 PM

Within 10 seconds of the beginning of his Fallon interview he mentioned Lisa Marie. Shameless.

by Anonymousreply 143January 31, 2023 4:02 AM

He is a bit much. But what can he do? He can't cross the producers/director of the film and then expect to get roles. The film and hence his acting got nominations and he is obliged to do press. No doubt he hopes to win and gain prestige which will assure him of more work. As to mentioning Lisa Marie, if he didn't he would be drubbed for that.

He seems to have earned a lot of hate in social media and here. We will see if he survives it and has continued success.

by Anonymousreply 144January 31, 2023 2:46 PM

I don't get him either. It's nothing personal of course but he seems to be too much of a performa.

by Anonymousreply 145January 31, 2023 2:50 PM

Friday last I went to an Elvis Tribute show with two of the current best. It was highly enjoyable.

However, their abilities to move like Elvis were extremely limited: no wild leg action; no karate kicks; no deep leg bends. No head nods to the back-up singers.

And, of course, no acting scenes whatsoever, because there was no Col. Parker, Gladys, Daddy Vern, or Priscilla. Impersonators don't have to prove themselves in this way.

Anyone who argues that the much-lauded Austin Butler is inferior in this role to anyone else possible, with the lone exception of Elvis himself, is just a contrarian who thinks he's being clever, trenchant, or both (particularly with those facile "he'll never amount to much" prognostications), but is, instead, simply wrong.

by Anonymousreply 146January 31, 2023 3:02 PM

R124: “There was no nuisance.”

I think you meant nuance.

Damn that auto correct

by Anonymousreply 147January 31, 2023 3:10 PM

Here's what is "shameless, r143: Your post. Jimmy opened with Austin's nominations, after which Austin mentioned the award he's actually won, the GG, and with whom he was: Baz, Austin's sister Ashley, Priscilla, and Lisa Marie. If you honestly recall, that event and its almost immediate aftermath was HUGE news. Every article included the last photos of Lisa Marie, which happened to have been her being hugged by Austin at the GG.

But THEN, after that one-second mention, Austin told an anecdote of his sister and James Marsden; of the GG monitor; and, then Denzel, prompted by Jimmy.

A few minutes later, Jimmy brought up Lisa Marie. Hard to avoid, wouldn't you say? The movie is about her father, FGS.

Now, if this were Brendan Fraser, the tears would have flowed! But I digress.

However, you somehow miss the raison d'etre for this entire visit (egg-smashing aside):

"Elvis" has been re-released to be shown in select theaters until mid-March. That is why Baz and Austin just attended two screenings with Q&A in California.

IOW, Austin is on a SECOND PR run, and why he will be on the "Graham Norton Show" on Friday (they loved the movie in the UK, holding open-air showings throughout the summer).

It is also why, though Timothee and Apple TV+ might feel free to publicize Austin's upcoming "Masters of the Air" series, Austin himself cannot, and co-producers Tom Hanks (Col. Parker) and Steven Spielberg will not release a trailer: The PR is strictly for "Elvis" until after March twelfth.

And then I hope you'll like hearing ad infinitum, ad nauseam, about bombing Germany from the air!

by Anonymousreply 148January 31, 2023 3:48 PM

Very boring performance,. All the hype feels like he’s one of Harvey’s girls or something.

by Anonymousreply 149January 31, 2023 4:06 PM

I realize that aggressive pushes for Oscars have been going on for decades, but this year feels grosser than usual, and Austin just seems so naked in his desire.

by Anonymousreply 150January 31, 2023 4:09 PM

Perhaps,r150, you are paying attention only to him, for reasons unfathomable to me since you seem to dislike him so much, and not to Colin or Brendan? You are singling out Austin bizarrely with your imputations.

Colin was on SNL with Brendan Gleeson as host; Austin was on SNL as host.

The former two were also on "Seth Myers." Austin was not.

The former two were on "Stephen Colbert." Austin was not.

Colin was a guest on "Jimmy Fallon." Austin was twice.

Then there's Brendan Fraser: Myers; Colbert; Kimmel; Darren Aronofsky talking about BF on Fallon.

All have been on sundry morning, daytime, and early evening interview and entertainment shows; at various film festivals; and in assorted trade and fashion magazines. And more besides.

Fraser made the GG about himself not by winning, but by not attending! Meanwhile, both Colin and Austin won and gave touching speeches.

So don't give me this "But Butler's so beyond" crapola.

by Anonymousreply 151January 31, 2023 4:45 PM

R151, I think it’s all gross, not just him. I wish Bill Nighy would win.

by Anonymousreply 152January 31, 2023 4:48 PM

I thought Austin was perfection. If he had been more like an Elvis impersonator (yuck) it would have been distracting. It isn't necessary for him to look exactly like Elvis. In Respect, Jennifer Hudson doesn't look exactly like Aretha. Just an example.

by Anonymousreply 153January 31, 2023 5:01 PM

[quote]I think it’s all gross, not just him.

Then tap out r152, Oscar Season is not for you. But it has ALWAYS been like this, this excessive push for votes. It is nothing new. But maybe you are just waking up to it. And if it disgusts you to the point of being gross, feel free to tap out like so many before you have.

by Anonymousreply 154January 31, 2023 7:26 PM

I suppose whether or not you like a celebrity plays into how their Oscar campaigning hits.

For instance, I love Michelle Yeoh, but she's hungry enough for the award that I would advise Cate Blanchett not to find herself in the same Ladies' room with a single exit unless there are multiple third parties present.

by Anonymousreply 155January 31, 2023 9:39 PM

R149, mama was a Harvey Girl in an Oscar-winning movie…!

by Anonymousreply 156February 1, 2023 4:34 AM

R156, And she wore blue.

by Anonymousreply 157February 1, 2023 4:41 AM

R146 Come off your knees and give Austin's dick some breathing room. My goodness that shameless promotion would make the most tacky Hollywood publicist proud.

by Anonymousreply 158February 1, 2023 12:45 PM

If “Elvis” had opened later, Austiin might have a better chance at winning the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 159February 1, 2023 1:00 PM

Oh, I wish, r158!

R159, I don't know. "Elvis" had the one glorious week-end of surpassing "TG: M" to be able to call itself "The #1 Movie in America!" Those two films brought people back to theaters.

If Austin doesn't win the Oscar, and that's the current thinking, the reasons will be debatable.

It is interesting to me that "The Whale" not only opened rather late, but is not being streamed on any platform even now. IOW, I think Brendan is benefitting by NOT ACTUALLY being seen by the streaming public!

As for Colin: Lately I've read comments about his being "The Best Actor of 2022" because he was in more than "The Banshees of Isherin." As though "Batman" or whatever should somehow count. Or that he's now 46 and thus "deserves" the award. Or that "Banshees" is his "best work." NONE of that is supposed to be part of his "consideration" as Padraic of Isherin.

But it all will be, for Colin will receive the Best Actor Oscar (and BAFTA), and give a lovely, touching, humorous, and delightfully Irish-accented speech.

But I'm still rooting for Austin!

by Anonymousreply 160February 1, 2023 2:08 PM

R124, You're being ridiculous. Your query "Do we really need ...?" can be asked of most movies, admit it. I mean, did we really NEED a movie about a lesbian orchestra conductor? Or about a severely obese loser? Or about two stubborn Irishmen, pardon the redundancy, in the 1920s?

Moreover, aside from Made-for-TV movies (Kurt Russell, JRM, etc.), there hasn't been a serious THEATER film about Elvis. So there's that.

(Do you often ask these questions? I mean, have you any idea of how many movies there are whose subjects are: Robin Hood; Sherlock Holmes; Romeo and Juliet; Dracula; JFK; WW II; aliens; astronauts; mobsters; etc., etc.? Or is it only with Elvis that you have reached your limit?)

by Anonymousreply 161February 1, 2023 2:34 PM

R160 here, with the twice-missing syllable: Inisherin.

by Anonymousreply 162February 1, 2023 5:55 PM

The Banshees of Inisherin

Oh.

by Anonymousreply 163February 1, 2023 6:02 PM

^ the Liza thing is tired as hell. It was 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 164February 1, 2023 9:23 PM

Do you like blue, R164?

by Anonymousreply 165February 1, 2023 9:25 PM

Movie was fine. Not an Elvis fan but it was entertaining.

Butler is ugly as hell. I wouldn’t sleep with him if I was 30, fat, and on shore leave after a year at sea. Even with your dick.

by Anonymousreply 166February 1, 2023 9:26 PM

Movie was fine. Not an Elvis fan but it was entertaining.

Butler is ugly as hell. I wouldn’t sleep with him if I was 30, fat, and on shore leave after a year at sea. Even with your dick.

by Anonymousreply 167February 1, 2023 9:26 PM

If Austin Butler is ugly, then I’m in big trouble.

by Anonymousreply 168February 1, 2023 9:50 PM

R166, r167, Methinks you doth protest too much. 😉

by Anonymousreply 169February 2, 2023 4:14 PM

If I feel like watching a skinny 'tardface I can watch Joey Mills reverse cowboying with his weird big bent cock helicoptering

by Anonymousreply 170February 2, 2023 5:00 PM

Well, have at it, r170!

by Anonymousreply 171February 2, 2023 6:21 PM

Butler won't win the Oscar.

He should, at least as much as any other nominee, but, he won't.

He's too young and the Academy will figure they'll get around to awarding him some other time, but this isn't his year.

And, I'll go to my crematorium loving Elvis Presley, but he's still controversial with regard to the credit he receives for being influenced so much by black artists, and yet they weren't recognized to the degree he was.

by Anonymousreply 172February 3, 2023 12:04 AM

forgot to add at my post at r172 -

I just think voters want to shy away from the racial politics of Elvis Presley.

by Anonymousreply 173February 3, 2023 12:05 AM

The irony is black people in real time were fans of Elvis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174February 3, 2023 2:00 AM

Black girls fangirling over Elvis at the height of Jim Crow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175February 3, 2023 2:01 AM

Dionne Warwick: Elvis Presley did me a big favor in Las Vegas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 3, 2023 2:02 AM

R174, r175, Lipstick Alley loves AB, that's for damn sure!

by Anonymousreply 177February 3, 2023 2:20 AM

[quote] Lipstick Alley loves AB, that's for damn sure!

Why do they love him?

by Anonymousreply 178February 3, 2023 2:29 AM

But r172, it deserves to be "his year," more than it was deemed Rami's year, by any measurement.

Quite simply, and totally omitting anything musical (i.e., tying Austin's mic behind his back, as it were), Austin Butler displayed an emotional range, both broad and nuanced, far beyond that of Colin and I'm betting beyond Brendan's, though A24 seems extremely reluctant to make his movie widely available via streaming for more viewers to check him out.

Moreover, Austin showed how a person's carriage, movements, voice, and attitudes change as they age twenty years. The other two characters present their characters within a very short time frame.

The physical demands on Butler aren't matched at all, never mind remotely, by Farrell or Fraser (Austin wears a fat suit at the end, too, so even that isn't unique to Brendan).

"The Whale" has made $15M in the US.

"Banshees" has made $30.3M, US.

"Elvis" = $151M, US.

Now, while I realize that Box Office success isn't necessarily a criterion for Best Actor (See: Cruise, Tom), it seems to be if a movie is a biopic (See: Malek, Rami).

Except for this year. Colin will win for a fine performance, and Austin will lose after an electrifying one.

by Anonymousreply 179February 3, 2023 2:55 AM

R178, Read for yourself!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180February 3, 2023 2:59 AM

Thank you, R180.

by Anonymousreply 181February 3, 2023 3:04 AM

R167, Seriously? This man is ugly?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182February 3, 2023 4:33 AM

R179 what you say reminds me of exactly what Angela Basset (What's Love Got to Do With It) had to say about losing to Holly Hunter (The Piano) on Watch What Happens Live. I love the shade Angela throws at Holly - "won for playing a mute..." I also love her honesty. So This is the exact same setup as Austin and Colin - a fine performance vs. and electrifying one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183February 3, 2023 9:05 AM

R182 He's plain and boring - serious horseface in a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 184February 3, 2023 11:31 AM

R184, I think I'd like to see an example of your higher taste.

by Anonymousreply 185February 3, 2023 4:03 PM

[quote]He looks nothing like Elvis, acts nothing like Elvis, speaks nothing like Elvis, hasn't a scintilla of Elvis' charisma, and doesn't do his own singing.

Although I think Butler is a good actor in certain roles, I sadly have to agree with this. I'm very surprised that he was so well received as Elvis, but I guess a lot of people who liked the movie are just Elvis fans who would have supported any new movie about him, as long as it was a mostly positive portrayal.

by Anonymousreply 186February 3, 2023 4:08 PM

I always love these posts that prognosticate of years hence, as though the writer were sat upon a stool in Delphi rather than upon a couch in an apartment.

It's not like either poster or reader will keep track, now is it?

by Anonymousreply 187February 3, 2023 4:09 PM

Oh, r186, you quote such an ignorant post one hardly knows where to begin refuting. But I'll persevere for your sake, if not the moron's, in no particular order.

"...speaks nothing like Elvis." Foremost must be noted the supreme IRONY of this facile remark, as "He still sounds like Elvis" has been THE persistent knock on post-"Elvis" Austin Butler, but Mr. Big Critic says it ain't, and never was, true! Hahaha! Thank you, fool!

"...doesn't do his own singing." A COMPLETE LIE. Austin himself sings, no mix with Elvis, "Let's Play House," "Blue Suede Shoes," "Heartbreak Hotel," "Hound Dog," "Trouble," and, in a widely-viewed camera test where he sings AND plays the guitar, "That's All Right (Mama)," a note-by-note version of that of Elvis's in "King Creole."

This absurd broad criticism alone tells me that the moron author not only did not see the movie; he hasn't read Word One of any legitimate movie review! He knows no even the most basic fact!! But then, keyboard critics don't require facts or knowledge in their tiny world. Moving on....

"...acts nothing like Elvis." AS IF this poster is such an expert on EP that he could even begin to elucidate this claim! But to put a finer point on it---Yes, yes Austin does. As Priscilla has said, "He even got Elvis's anger right."

"...looks nothing like Elvis." Yet another stupidity that proves the poster didn't see the movie. Just one example (but please: enlighten yourself by watching the linked YouTube, which source, you should know, is your friend in this entire regard): The last performance, both in the movie and in Elvis's life, is of him at the piano singing "Unchained Melody." To wit:

Movie audiences at first believe they are seeing Elvis. But they are not. The scene begins with Austin in a "fat suit," which scene eventually morphs into the real Elvis. The only way to tell when, is when we no longer see the (movie) band member who helps with the songbook pages and Cokes.

In short, r186, you couldn't have picked a more uninformed quote if you'd seriously searched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188February 3, 2023 5:46 PM

Austin's "That's All Right (Mama)":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189February 3, 2023 5:48 PM

[quote]"...looks nothing like Elvis." Yet another stupidity that proves the poster didn't see the movie.

Sorry, on this point I cannot agree with you. Facially, Austin Butler looks nothing -- or almost nothing -- like Elvis. Certainly not compared to some actors who have played Elvis previously, for example, Kurt Russell.

by Anonymousreply 190February 3, 2023 5:52 PM

Elvis: Reminder, Austin wasn't singing to be extremely accurate; his was only as a camera position and lighting test.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191February 3, 2023 5:53 PM

ALL OF THIS IS MELUNGEON ERASURE!! Literal colonialist genocide of P.O.C.!!! Elvis wasn't white!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192February 3, 2023 6:04 PM

R188 here. Mistake must be noted: Elvis sings "Trouble" in "King Creole," not "That's All Right (Mama)," so here's Austin's "Trouble ":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193February 3, 2023 6:08 PM

I'd rather just smoke a bone and watch Viva Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 194February 3, 2023 6:17 PM

Who on Satan’s Green Earth could speak, act and sound like Elvis Presley?

Those who complain about Butler not being capable of those things have to answer one thing- why are you singling Butler out for that?

And yes, I suppose the obvious reply is, “ Because he was cast as Elvis” which is fair, but to a very limited extent.

The agglomeration of human cells, talent, beauty, charisma that was the person of Elvis Presley is a rare, unique thing. He was the human embodiment of celestial comet, brightening the sky for a brief awesome moment and gone.

I know- “Mary!”

Still, to expect a mere mortal to satisfy approximating a performance of Presley is asking too much.

Butler was excellent; as good as it will get.

by Anonymousreply 195February 3, 2023 6:29 PM

This might be helpful in judging Austin Butler's performance as Elvis against others who have played him. But bear in mind that not all of the other actors did their own singing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196February 3, 2023 6:43 PM

R182 seriously, yes.

He’s a 4. At least in NY. I was born and raised in IA where he’s maybe a 5. Thirsty man in a desert, ya know. I wouldn’t sleep with him drunk and high. He might as well be a woman, if I saw him in the gym or locker room, or a bench or potted plant.

by Anonymousreply 197February 3, 2023 7:04 PM

R196, Austin is the only (serious, not comic, not a character who plays an impersonator) Elvis in an actual theater production movie, not a Made-For-TV movie.

I'd like to know how many critics even know the most rudimentary aspect of this movie, which is that everything seen---from Lauderdale Apartments to Beale Street to Graceland to Las Vegas---was built in Australia from the ground up. AND that Austin and Tom Hanks were the ONLY non-Australians in the cast.

If you didn't know the above, pfffft to you!

by Anonymousreply 198February 3, 2023 9:56 PM

Okay, r197. I still would like to see an example of a man you do find attractive, for reference, you understand.

by Anonymousreply 199February 3, 2023 9:59 PM

"Dune: Part 2" colleague Dave Bautista, who plays the brother of Austin's character, had this observation:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200February 3, 2023 11:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201February 3, 2023 11:47 PM

Dune: Part Two’: Dave Bautista Says Austin Butler Is So Terrifying” He Stings!

As Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen In Upcoming Sequel

by Anonymousreply 202February 3, 2023 11:52 PM

R201 looks like the perfect part for him. Did he stand for the artist?

by Anonymousreply 203February 4, 2023 12:33 AM

I only got halfway through R196 and most had Elvis' physicality, and a few had faces that could pull off Elvis. Wish Baz Luhrmann had gone with someone similar rather than the squirrel-faced Austin.

But he obviously has his fans and unlike my Gen Z niece, I wouldn't have been watching it 9 times, so I guess his choice was right.

by Anonymousreply 204February 4, 2023 5:15 AM

I thought Jonathan Rhys Myers did a better job in that tv movie

by Anonymousreply 205February 4, 2023 5:38 AM

Gee, r205, and nobody says a peep about JRM strictly lip-synching.

by Anonymousreply 206February 4, 2023 7:09 AM

This is the weakest year of acting performances in the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 207February 4, 2023 7:16 AM

Sure, Jan, r207, and the article you're parroting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208February 4, 2023 7:39 AM

think he fucked both prissy and lisa marie? word is his cock is enuf to go around ....twice,

by Anonymousreply 209February 4, 2023 8:43 AM

Don't make me larf.

by Anonymousreply 210February 4, 2023 2:05 PM

R208 I did no such thing. Please do not lie on me again.

by Anonymousreply 211February 5, 2023 12:20 AM

His face is borderline Down Syndrome looking.

by Anonymousreply 212February 6, 2023 10:13 PM

For the life of me, I can't help but think when I see a photo of him, that what is going to come out of his mouth is "That's da suck job!"

by Anonymousreply 213February 6, 2023 11:28 PM

Dat’s!

by Anonymousreply 214February 6, 2023 11:42 PM

Oh, poor r212. You've caught the "Troll Who Will Say Anything" malady.

by Anonymousreply 215February 7, 2023 9:20 AM

Ugly as sin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216February 8, 2023 6:32 AM

Not the fat kid dancing; the Instagram prior.

by Anonymousreply 217February 8, 2023 6:33 AM

R216 all his stans (3 repeat posters) flood DL with “that’s just a bad angle” or “that’s bad lighting”

Your clip is all there is. He only has bad angles and no light is ‘good’ for him. He’s completely ugly…every angle, all lighting.

A 3 at best.

by Anonymousreply 218February 8, 2023 9:37 AM

R218, I, for one, have never said or posted Word 1 about "angles" and "lighting." Moreover, of all the many "stan" Tweets I've read (I take it more than you, unless you are extremely weird to keep reading fan sites of someone you don't like), nobody else has mentioned such "defenses," either.

Your signature line notwithstanding, you obviously care.

BTW, Austin has received praise not only for his "Elvis"; in his Broadway debut, he was singled out for the only accolade in the "New Yorker" review of Denzel's "The Iceman Cometh.'

So be as crude as you want about Austin's acting; professional critics disagree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219February 8, 2023 1:19 PM

Size meat verificatia.

by Anonymousreply 220February 8, 2023 1:30 PM

I would say Austin Butler has a very weak chin. I imagine that's why some people find him unattractive, while others are obviously not bothered by that at all.

by Anonymousreply 221February 8, 2023 3:53 PM

"Very weak chin"?! He has such a sharp chin and jawline that SNL noted it in the "two brothers" sketch!

@3:32

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222February 9, 2023 4:04 PM

He does not have a weak chin. His nose job sucks, however.

by Anonymousreply 223February 9, 2023 4:20 PM

Although I agree with most of what R188 says, he writes likes an American who watches too many 24 hour news cycles.

If it's true, AB's campaign should make a much bigger deal about him doing the singing, part if not all, himself. I didn't know it was him. I didn't care if it wasn't. I thought it was a great performance.

And I have been in enough gay bars at 2am (in NYC!) to know people like R218, are bald-faced liars. People like R218 are the kind that stand around in boot-cut jeans and a button-down work shirt sipping a Heineken (because real men drink beer), ogling everything that passes, except men their own age. Austin's height alone in those places would be enough to turn heads, but add thick hair and bedroom eyes. I doubt R218 would be hissing in the corner "he's so ugly."

And just as a side note, attractive people don't comment on people's looks with such vitriol. Just as actual smart people don't go around saying how smart they are, attractive people don't comment on how "ugly" a person is. That is reserved for people who feel they themselves are unattractive. Which would lead me to believe a side by side of R218 and Austin Butler, would quiet him down quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 224February 10, 2023 12:13 PM

If by ‘bedroom eyes’ you mean he’s better appreciated in the dark or with my eyes closed, I totally agree. Although I wouldn’t be able to sleep with that mug lurking around my bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 225February 12, 2023 6:08 AM

^ yet you can fall asleep on Cheeto bags and dirty dishes.

by Anonymousreply 226February 13, 2023 6:03 AM

R224, Austin sings, himself and not mixed with Elvis, the following: "Let's Play House (first song, Louisiana Hayride)"; "Blue Suede Shoes (seen in snippets and while driving on Hank Snow Tour)"; "Heartbreak Hotel (scene with NBC Recording execs---'I can't sing if I can't move')"; "Hound Dog (seen on the TV in Senator's living room)"; "Trouble (Russwood Park, before arrest by the Vice Squad)."

The first and the last are on the official Soundtrack CD. A full "Hound Dog" is in Amazon's mp3 offerings.

Also, Austin as Elvis sings a few words of "That's All Right (Mama)" in the recording studio of Sam Phillips, and later in a triptych with himself as Vegas Elvis and Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup in the Sugar Shack. Austin also sang it during a camera test.

by Anonymousreply 227February 13, 2023 7:45 AM

Why, r8, I do declare! Your florid first sentence itself sounds right out of a Baz script! Bless your heart.

So now are Leo, Nicole, Ewan, and Hugh also "stinkier" for having starred in Luhrmann movies? You didn't think that one through, did you?

R7, Why do you care so much as to be vitriolic? Do you think people who aren't married or even engaged must stay together forever? Why did VH not kick him to the curb? (P.S. He got tired of her childish hippie-dippy Coachella Halloween ways. My theory. He went to NYC for Broadway; she followed. He then went to Australia for "Elvis." Finally free.) (P.S. There was no guarantee, with Covid, that the movie would even be completed, let alone it and him be nominated for Academy Awards.)

by Anonymousreply 228February 13, 2023 8:07 AM

There are those who say that hopefully Austin will finnally give up his Elvis interpretation on his current style.

Austin in an recent interview says that continued discussions about his voice has made him sorta self conscious.

by Anonymousreply 229February 13, 2023 9:48 AM

[quote] continued discussions about his voice has made him sorta self conscious.

It should.

by Anonymousreply 230February 13, 2023 10:13 AM

[quote]There are those who say that hopefully Austin will finnally give up his Elvis interpretation on his current style.

What???

by Anonymousreply 231February 13, 2023 12:59 PM

He did seem like a generally nice guy on the Graham Norton Show. Still don't think he's handsome. Still not interest4ed enough in Elvis to buy a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 232February 13, 2023 4:36 PM

The payola is unmatched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233February 15, 2023 12:24 PM

Is Emma Corrin on testosterone? They have young skinny man's abs.

by Anonymousreply 234February 15, 2023 2:28 PM

LISA marie lost her mind cause she had his snake once and god dam it was thick and goooood.

by Anonymousreply 235February 15, 2023 2:41 PM

^ I don’t care much about snakes if they’re attached to a gargoyle

by Anonymousreply 236February 15, 2023 3:29 PM

R235 is delusional.

by Anonymousreply 237February 15, 2023 4:10 PM

Baby wants that Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238February 17, 2023 10:38 PM

His PR is even better than Chalamet's. Nearly every news and entertainment outlet has covered him.

by Anonymousreply 239February 17, 2023 10:39 PM

R239 I wish they would cover his face

by Anonymousreply 240February 18, 2023 9:45 AM

In a previous post, I remarked that Austin has a very weak jaw. Someone replied and chided me, saying that he has the opposite of a weak jaw. So I looked at some more videos, and I stand by my opinion but I guess it's more accurate to say that Austin's jaw and chin seem to recede from his face, which is more obvious when he's seen in profile.

by Anonymousreply 241February 18, 2023 4:31 PM

we love and worship austin, and pray him gets the oscar cause if him dont, him gonna gets da blues.

by Anonymousreply 242February 19, 2023 10:44 AM

I've watched it several times and I think Butler was fantastic. I hope he wins the Oscar. What on earth makes the critics on here think they know better than Priscilla, Lisa Marie and Gerry Schilling?! They've all said he's the only one who got Elvis right.

by Anonymousreply 243February 19, 2023 10:49 AM

BAFTA Awards this afternoon EST. Red Carpet as well. You're in like Flynn if you subscribe to Britbox (I do!).

I fully expect "Best Actor" to go not to Austin but to Colin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244February 19, 2023 11:00 AM

we will freak the fuck out of colin wins. belongs to KING AUSTIN,

by Anonymousreply 245February 19, 2023 11:05 AM

R243, didn't Priscilla and Lisa Marie have a financial stake in the movie? They wouldn't say anything about any of it.

by Anonymousreply 246February 19, 2023 11:16 AM

Austin looks like Napoleon Dynamite under an Insta Face Filter. But I don't mind either because they both have BDF xl VIP edition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247February 19, 2023 4:18 PM

R246, Maybe for the music rights. But they weren't involved in the casting, scripting, or much of anything else, prior to the choices and decisions being made. Then they gave access for Baz and Austin to Graceland's Inner Sanctums.

by Anonymousreply 248February 19, 2023 8:40 PM

BAFTA Best Actor!

by Anonymousreply 249February 19, 2023 8:41 PM

John Heder got better looking with age. Serious BDF.

by Anonymousreply 250February 19, 2023 9:06 PM

Who is sexually attracted to Austin Butler, and why?

by Anonymousreply 251February 19, 2023 10:38 PM

^ the most baffling question of late

by Anonymousreply 252February 20, 2023 5:09 PM

R251 and r252 are guys, NTTAWWT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253February 20, 2023 5:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!