Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays.... tell me about your experience with Shingrix, please.

I just got my first dose. Based on my COVID vaccinations and the stories I've heard from friends, I am expecting to feel pretty lousy but maybe I will get lucky.

How did you do? And if you got side effects, how long did it take until they kicked in?

by Anonymousreply 93November 14, 2023 1:34 PM

I want to start with, I recommend everyone get it.

I was unprepared for the beating it gave me. it started the next day. it took 2 days before I felt normal again. Freezing, exhaustion, flu symptoms, stomach upset, headache (low grade), I felt like my bones had been frozen.

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2023 4:24 PM

Whore!

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2023 4:27 PM

I had both shots of Shingrix. Other than a slightly sore arm, no side effects

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2023 4:33 PM

Symptoms weren't as bad as my first COVID vax, but my arm hurt badly for a day or two afterwards. Also had a big bump at the injection site for a couple of days as well.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2023 4:34 PM

Fortunately, my side effects were limited to a sore arm (for 3-4 days) at the site of the injection and a slight fatigue after getting the injection.

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2023 4:36 PM

Definitely worth getting. No regrets on getting it since I've had several friends/relatives who got shingles and were very sick for weeks and weeks.

That said, the shot busted my ass! I have never had such a strong reaction to a shot before.

First dose left me rundown, tired and achy for 3-4 days. Meanwhile my left arm turned bright red for about 12 inches beneath the injection site and was super tender for about a week.

Second dose left me feeling like I had the flu for 2 days. Within a few hours of getting the shot, I had shivers and was running a fever -- high fever for a few hours and then low-grad fever for the next 24. During those first two day, I felt achy, every muscle in my body hurt, throat was scratchy, nose was runny, had no energy. I just basically stayed in bed for two days except to go to bathroom and to go to kitchen for food.

I deliberately got both shots on a Friday afternoon. That way I had the weekend to be sick and didn't miss any work. I was then back at work on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2023 4:37 PM

Just a sore arm. Bu then, I'm always tired.

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2023 4:39 PM

I felt icky for a couple hours, and the injection site was sore for a couple days after the first shot. The second shot had no side effects.

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2023 4:55 PM

I was fine, but I don't tend to react to vaccines outside of maybe feeling a bit rundown the next day.

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2023 4:58 PM

A wee bit of fluiness the afternoon of the first shot and that was it. Guess I got off lucky.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2023 5:01 PM

I had no effects, not even a sore arm. Definitely worthwhile to get.

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2023 5:11 PM

I just got my first dose about 5 days ago. Pretty much what other posters have stated previously upthread. It kicked my ass for about 48 hours in total. Approximately three hours after the vaccination I started to feel kind of 'blah' and tired. The next day I felt achy and like I was coming down with something.No fever, but if I hadn't known it was the vaccine, I would have guessed it was the flu coming on. Taking ibuprofen helped. Drink water and stay hydrated. Glad I wasn't scheduled for work on those days. The covid vaccine was a walk in the park compared to Shingrix. Not exactly looking forward to dose #2.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2023 5:14 PM

I’ve had no ill effects from any of the 5 COVID shots I’ve had, nor from the latest flu shot either.

No reaction to the first Shingrex shot other than a sorer than usual injection site.

Second shot? Down for a day with flu-like symptoms. 🤷

by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2023 5:41 PM

First fine (injection site pain—always the case with me for any vaccine), second one made me feel fluish for a day and a half. Very glad I got them.

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2023 5:45 PM

Had Shingrix at 50 or 51. Noticed no side effects.

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2023 5:50 PM

I don't remember having crazy bad side effects from the shingles vax. The 2nd Covid vaccine was definitely worse.

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2023 6:35 PM

My first Shingrix shot resulted in flu symptoms for about 2 days. The second shot resulted only in a sore arm for several days.

I had my 2nd Covid booster this morning at 9am, and I’m just now getting a headache and I’m starting to feel the chills coming on. This is the shot I was dreading as my side effects were worse with each Covid shot.

Good on you for getting the shot OP. I hope your side effects are nonexistent or mild. If they’re not, this too will pass.

by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2023 7:00 PM

[quote] Approximately three hours after the vaccination I started to feel kind of 'blah' and tired.

That's me, I think... I don't know if it's power of suggestion (and my friends suggested I am gonna feel this fucker) or if it's happening. My COVID shots weren't epic but also not nothing in terms of flu feelings. Thanks for your insights... keep ya posted.

But I agree - and urge anyone over fifty to make an informed decision - you do not want shingles. My poor uncle had it and it marred the last five years of his life. A lovely man in distracting pain, with no real relief. Not for me.

by Anonymousreply 18January 9, 2023 7:05 PM

Having gotten my first Shingrix shot a half hour ago, I wish I hadn't come upon this thread.

by Anonymousreply 19January 9, 2023 7:15 PM

I knew a girl who got the 2nd Shingrix shot then she died

by Anonymousreply 20January 9, 2023 7:17 PM

Hard pass. No more vaccines for me.

by Anonymousreply 21January 9, 2023 7:18 PM

They'll genetically modify you by one vax or another, and will never stop pushing them now. People are dying and getting really ill from these "new" vaccines while Big Pharma makes billions.

by Anonymousreply 22January 9, 2023 7:21 PM

Some times, when I've blocked somebody, I'll log out to read a post that's showing as unread in the thread, obviously by someone I blocked.

It's always so reassuring to me when I realize I'm not particularly thin skinned, I just have a talent for blocking no hopers of various pathologies.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2023 7:23 PM

I got my two but I urge people I don't like not to get them.

I want to hear them piss and moan about their bad case of shingles.

I'm schadenfreude kind of guy!

by Anonymousreply 24January 9, 2023 7:24 PM

R21 How is your health, overall?

by Anonymousreply 25January 9, 2023 7:44 PM

First shot, felt fine for a few hours and then curled up in bed feeling flu-y for 24 hours.

Second shot, less reaction but arm hurt like a sonofabitch.

I took it as a good sign that my body was reacting the way it should.

by Anonymousreply 26January 9, 2023 7:48 PM

[quote]Having gotten my first Shingrix shot a half hour ago, I wish I hadn't come upon this thread.

How about you come upon my face?

by Anonymousreply 27January 9, 2023 7:54 PM

Schingrixsch schotsch! Yikesch! That'sch a mouthful!

by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2023 8:48 PM

Had them both: no side effects.

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2023 8:50 PM

Zero side effects

by Anonymousreply 30January 9, 2023 10:21 PM

First shot just gave me a sore arm, ice packs and Advil helped. Second shot had me up all night shaking with chills.

by Anonymousreply 31January 9, 2023 10:27 PM

I didn't feel thrown from a moving train until the second dose, but it only lasted one day.

I'd waited around like a fool and had already had Shingles on my face, endangering my vision in one eye. I highly suggest to everyone they get the Shingrix vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2023 4:06 AM

A sore arm from the first shot and about the same from the second. Not everybody gets a strong reaction to the shot.

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2023 4:15 AM

A friend had shingles and suffered intensely for years with no relief. He never got the shingles shot. Not sure why. Shingles is a true misery.,

by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2023 4:18 AM

Got both shots, no symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2023 5:54 AM

I got my first shot in November and had zero side-effects.

by Anonymousreply 36January 10, 2023 6:06 AM

The second shot was worse than the first but well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2023 7:06 AM

I was warned about the second shot, but was fine save for a sore arm which lasted for several days longer than after the first

by Anonymousreply 38January 10, 2023 7:43 AM

I don't remember any side effects. However, I am losing my memory. Sore arm I guess. Nothing else or otherwise I think I would remember. I just reminded a couple of friends to get the shots.

by Anonymousreply 39January 10, 2023 9:59 AM

I woke up at 5:30 am with a great weariness and chills in my limbs. I fear it's only going to get worse. Talk me down, fellow eldergays! I'm not ready to die!

by Anonymousreply 40January 10, 2023 11:00 AM

You’re not going to die, Mary! Be a brave soldier, it’ll be over soon.

by Anonymousreply 41January 10, 2023 11:28 AM

Shingles doesn’t go for booze & dope

by Anonymousreply 42January 10, 2023 11:41 AM

Thanks, R41! I'm gonna beat this thing!

by Anonymousreply 43January 10, 2023 12:17 PM

Mild pain at the injection site that lasted about 12 hours- same reaction to flu and all COVID shots. Essentially- nothing much.

by Anonymousreply 44January 10, 2023 12:20 PM

OP here. Distinct but small pain at the injection site still today, though much less than last night. I went to bed but had to take an Advil PM to help me sleep - achy joints and fatigued which was a distraction from getting to sleep. After the pill I was fine and feel pretty much better today. So guessing I got away with a mild reaction? It feels quite similar, to honest, to my reactions to the COVID vaccine. Each time I got one I felt the achy joints but each experience was milder. We'll see. Thanks for your insights. If you haven't got it but qualify, get it... cost me $300 as am technically not old enough for it for free (though old enough to get it.)

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2023 12:45 PM

At a recent class reunion a couple of my former classmates (late 50s) reported having had Shingles twice, even though anecdotally it was believed you could only get it once. That is not true, so even if you've already had Shingles the vaccine is recommended.

by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2023 5:41 PM

It's fine r25. I don't get sick often, very rarely. I'm not anti vax, just anti mRNA vax. I take vitamins and try to stay healthy.

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2023 7:37 PM

Famous last words at R47.

by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2023 8:23 PM

I really wish more people would research how utterly dangerous these type of vaccines are. There's so much evidence by so many medical professionals.

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2023 8:31 PM

Here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 10, 2023 8:34 PM

Also: the comments are also interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 10, 2023 8:41 PM

The reason they are pushing the shingles vax so hard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 10, 2023 8:45 PM

I had a fever and muscle aches for both shots.

by Anonymousreply 53January 10, 2023 9:01 PM

[Quote] I really wish more people would research how utterly dangerous these type of vaccines are. There's so much evidence by so many medical professionals.

Um, not really

by Anonymousreply 54January 10, 2023 9:02 PM

Shingles is horrendous. Get the vaccine

by Anonymousreply 55January 10, 2023 9:02 PM

First immunization: sore spot at the injection site. Nothing more.

Second immunization: tired and worn out the following day. But I had 3 immunizations that day (Shingrix, COVID booster, and flu shot). I took it easy and napped much of the afternoon on the second day. I was back to normal on the 3rd day

by Anonymousreply 56January 10, 2023 9:05 PM

Zero side effects from Chingrix (or Covid or Flu ) shots. I had Shingles in March 2020 and never want to go through that again .

by Anonymousreply 57January 10, 2023 9:06 PM

First shot was fine but I felt ill for about 24 hours after the second one. No big deal, though.

by Anonymousreply 58January 10, 2023 9:09 PM

I’ve been following the take a Tylenol, chug a Gatorade and take a walk advice for my Covid shots and it hasn’t been bad. I’ll test it on Shingrix in a few years. Shingles sucks.

by Anonymousreply 59January 10, 2023 9:13 PM

Can it be taken as a recreational suppository?

by Anonymousreply 60January 11, 2023 3:41 PM

It was not fun for me. Flu for several days. Quite sick. Sorry to report this. I'm a staunch character, not a complainer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 11, 2023 3:46 PM

I was in bed for 2 days with a fever., headache and chills after getting the shingles vaccine. I had no reactions to the Covid, Flu or Monkeypox vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 62January 11, 2023 4:02 PM

Never got past the chills and fatigue phase yesterday; I feel normal now.

by Anonymousreply 63January 11, 2023 4:14 PM

I'm as usual today, so I got off lucky.

by Anonymousreply 64January 11, 2023 4:21 PM

I never bothered with the Shingrix because I'd never had chicken pox. Then one day I got a strange rash on my side which spread to the other side. Dr. Google said it was shingles, so I went to immediate care, and they confirmed it. "But how can I when I've never had chicken pox?" I asked. The doctor replied, "Well, obviously you [italic]did[/italic] have chicken pox because you definitely have shingles.

I went to the drugstore to fill my prescriptions, and told the whole story to the pharmacist, with whom I was acquainted. She asked, "How many siblings do you have?" "Seven." "Where are you in the birth order?" "I'm the youngest." "Well, that explains it." Turns out my story was a common one. My mother had insisted all my life that I never had chicken pox, but in reality I did have it and my older sisters were probably the ones that nursed me through it so she didn't remember. Luckily I had a mild case of shingles so I was only down for a few days. I got the shots after I recovered.

On to the actual topic, neither shot made me ill, but my arm was quite sore after both injections.

by Anonymousreply 65January 11, 2023 4:38 PM

No reactions to either shot, but my college roommate Rich was the 5th person I knew who got shingles that year. I told Rich to send his older brother, Dr.Brad to give the shot. His older is "really hot" The conversation deteriorated very quickly2 after that,

by Anonymousreply 66January 11, 2023 6:55 PM

R54 Um, yes really

by Anonymousreply 67January 11, 2023 11:22 PM

Covid doesn’t care R47

by Anonymousreply 68January 16, 2023 10:23 PM

R65, I can relate! I'm also the youngest and my own mother never even bothered to keep my vaccination cards and she didn't know if I even had Chicken pox or anything else. I took a blood test to find out that I never had Chicken pox.

by Anonymousreply 69January 16, 2023 10:27 PM

Never had r68.

by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2023 5:33 AM

I became a bottom…..

by Anonymousreply 71January 17, 2023 7:55 PM

I had my second Shingrix shot on Monday. I had no side effects the first time but a lot of muscle aches after the second shot, and I felt a bit fatigued for the next couple of days. Starting to feel normal again today.

by Anonymousreply 72January 26, 2023 6:31 AM

Whatever short term side effects you get, they are far far far far better than getting shingles

by Anonymousreply 73January 26, 2023 12:44 PM

I got shingles one year after getting the vaccine. But it was a very mild case because I's been vaccinated and it has never returned. So I'd still recommend the vaccine!

by Anonymousreply 74January 28, 2023 8:03 PM

A workmate got shingles and it was awful. The pain lasted long after the rash was gone and it was terrible

by Anonymousreply 75January 28, 2023 11:12 PM

holly shit, i got my FIRST shot yesterday and this morning woke up like I had the worst hangover of my life, and my shoulder is so sore I can barely move it.

I called out at work

by Anonymousreply 76November 13, 2023 2:09 PM

No side effects te either shot.

Quit yer bitching

by Anonymousreply 77November 13, 2023 2:41 PM

I remember that that the Shringrix shots were worse for me than the Covid- super sore arm, feeling generally shitty and spacey for a day after.

by Anonymousreply 78November 13, 2023 2:41 PM

right, that is what I'm feeling now

by Anonymousreply 79November 13, 2023 2:50 PM

It was about like a bad cold for me.

by Anonymousreply 80November 13, 2023 2:52 PM

However, I had shingles a few years before the shot, and believe me, you DON'T want it. Holy Crap.

by Anonymousreply 81November 13, 2023 3:05 PM

right, I'll suffer the day off fine, shingles isn't an option

by Anonymousreply 82November 13, 2023 4:48 PM

Yeah, Shingles is no joke. I can't imagine getting them in my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 83November 13, 2023 7:59 PM

Very mild flu-like symptoms maybe 6 hours after injection, lasting a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 84November 13, 2023 9:10 PM

I'm feeling bad more than 24 hours after. glad I took off work

by Anonymousreply 85November 13, 2023 9:16 PM

My friend whined on and on about how bad she felt after both her shingles shots so i was really expecting it to be bad.

The only side effect I had for both shots was a sore arm which actually wasn't that bad the day after. The shot itself was fucking painful; some mumbo jumbo about how they have to mix it so it dulls the needle, blah blah blah.

But Shingles doesn't care.

by Anonymousreply 86November 13, 2023 9:35 PM

Had both shots with no side effects or discomfort.

by Anonymousreply 87November 13, 2023 10:23 PM

I react really badly to most inoculations, this one is just typically bad

by Anonymousreply 88November 14, 2023 12:15 AM

Both shots, I'm 54, no issues whatever.

My grandpa, dying of cancer, had shingles, and he suffered. Kindest man around.

by Anonymousreply 89November 14, 2023 12:19 AM

Had a sore arm, slapped a CVS lidocaine patch on it and it was fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 14, 2023 2:44 AM

Two days later and my arm is still sore, but nothing else

by Anonymousreply 91November 14, 2023 11:49 AM

No side effects.

by Anonymousreply 92November 14, 2023 11:50 AM

lots here

by Anonymousreply 93November 14, 2023 1:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!