Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Little Gloria... Happy at Last (the 1982 miniseries)

Did anyone besides me see this?

it was surprisingly well done, with a great child performance in the title role by Jennifer Dundas, and with Maureen Stapleton as her beloved but disturbed nanny, Lucy Gutteridge as Gloria Morgan, Glynis Johns as her mother, Christopher Plummer as Reggie Vanderbilt, Angela Lansbury as Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, and Bette Davis as Alice Vanderbilt.

It had an unforgettable ending, with Johns and the Vanderbilt making a toast together after they've won the court case against Gloria Morgan, intercut with scenes of a heartbroken little Gloria watching her nanny forced to leave her forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2023 9:38 PM

They spent a fortune on it, and it really showed. The costumer reproduced actual outfits the Vanderbilt women wore almost exactly--Bette davis even wears this bizarre Edwardian mourning getup which was exactly what the real Alice Vanderbilt wore in the 1930s even though it was decades out of date (like Queen Mary, she had no intention of keeping up with fashion and was too important to be ridiculed for doing so).

by Anonymousreply 1January 8, 2023 8:46 PM

Jennifer Dundas now runs the ice cream company she co-founded.

It's called Blue Marble Ice Cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 8, 2023 9:20 PM

It was very good. I remember Angela Lansbury playing he aunt, Gertrude Whitney. One scene had her answering a phone in her artist's studio. She was sculpting a seminude male model. She hung up, picked up a drink and gazed at the model. It was very erotic.

Network television used to have some very good series.

by Anonymousreply 3January 8, 2023 9:46 PM

Saw it loved it but it’s been 20+ years. Maybe I’ll see if I can track it down.

by Anonymousreply 4January 8, 2023 9:54 PM

The scene I recalled is around the 16 minute mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2023 2:32 PM

My mother was so into this. I watched with her but I was a kid. Something to check out. If only for Angela Lansbury and her nude model scene, lol.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2023 9:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!