Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do you stop ruminating over the past ?

I had serious trauma in my life . I want to make peace with my past and rebuild my life in the present. I get stuck in unpleasant memories and have bouts of anger and sadness. I’m doing better than I was , but want to heal up . Life is short .

by Anonymousreply 51January 29, 2023 9:47 PM

I know what you mean. I don't have any serious traumas, but I do have a tendency to ruminate over past wrongs. I know this is stupid - life has a way of working out, but I know it's a bad habit to hold onto grudges

by Anonymousreply 1January 8, 2023 10:25 AM

Not booze and dope!

by Anonymousreply 2January 8, 2023 10:27 AM

It requires forgiveness and or changing the negative thoughts to positive ones.

by Anonymousreply 3January 8, 2023 10:28 AM

[quote] I had serious trauma in my life . I want to make peace with my past and rebuild my life in the present. I get stuck in unpleasant memories and have bouts of anger and sadness.

I recommend writing a book.

by Anonymousreply 4January 8, 2023 10:37 AM

Sometimes you just can’t. I suffered a traumatic event a couple of decades ago. I’ve been in therapy for years and I still can’t get over it. I’m broken and I still have nightmares. Occasionally I think about suicide. And if it ever gets to that point where I decide to go through with it, I’m going to get a gun and take out the people who hurt me first. Since the government won’t punish the people who hurt me, I will. But only if I truly reach the point that I can’t go on.

by Anonymousreply 5January 8, 2023 10:38 AM

R5, were you gang raped?

by Anonymousreply 6January 8, 2023 10:48 AM

Quick note regarding five's comment:

If you decided to do a murder/suicide, do the suicide part first.

by Anonymousreply 7January 8, 2023 10:48 AM

Don't listen to that battle axe Lawson.

Just smoke copious amounts of pot, silly!

by Anonymousreply 8January 8, 2023 11:06 AM

I have found that beta blockers, like Inderal (Propranolol), will prevent me from going into a loop of stress> bad memories> adrenaline dump>stress...

I have taken it on occasion and found that B-Blockers reduce my PTSD. I was regularly beaten as a child and when the adrenaline starts dumping, a B-Blocker will reset me back to calm.

Plus, Propranolol is cheap.

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2023 11:14 AM

For me at least I find that the mind keeps turning things over as long as any aspect of some issue is still unresolved, along the lines of, "X did xyz to me . . . and that was a horrible thing . . . but am I imagining how horrible it was . . . did I bring it on myself . . . or if I knew more about the person and what was going on with him, would I really feel as if I had been victimized when in reality it was just one of those things . . . but don't I deserve consideration too???" and so on, back and forth. A person needs validation, whether from within or from trusted others, and a person needs what r3 mentioned, forgiveness (sometimes of one's self!) and changing negative thoughts to positive ones ("I learned a lot from that experience . . . and maybe it kept me out of worse trouble later in life . . . and at least I lived through it . . . others aren't so lucky . . . "). But admittedly it's hard, very hard, to put this all together: We're taught to have faith in Justice in this world, but sometimes you have to go pretty far into the abstract to convince yourself you've gotten it. Good luck, OP--it sounds as if you're on the right path.

by Anonymousreply 10January 8, 2023 12:18 PM

B-complex, vitamin D, cannabis, and hobbies.

by Anonymousreply 11January 8, 2023 12:31 PM

R10 thank you ! Loved your post ! And r11 vitamin D from sun helps a lot

by Anonymousreply 12January 8, 2023 4:59 PM

Forgive is big healer

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2023 10:35 AM

Yes you are right R13. However, some pasts are almost impossible to forgive.

How long ago was the incident OP?

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2023 10:44 AM

Anti-depressants, OP -- try one.

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2023 10:59 AM

I had this same issue, OP. A therapist recommended I keep a journal into which I was to write these thoughts and memories every time they popped up, even if I had written about it before in the journal. I did this for a year and it worked. It has been several years now, and the intrusive thoughts did not come back. It is as if I poured them out of my head onto the page. At the end of the year, I re-read the journal. I was able to view the memories separately and feel them emotionally (as opposed to intellectually). It really forced me to go through the grieving process. It is not a quick solution, but it worked for me and maybe it can work for you.

by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2023 11:59 AM

Cognitive behavioral therapy. If you can't afford a therapist or don't want to go that route, there are many workbooks available on Amazon. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2023 12:04 PM

Not sure if it actually works, but this is what EMDR therapy is for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2023 12:26 PM

Some trauma you can never get over but your perspective of it changes. If you are going through it over and over in your head it means you have unfinished business with yourself to take care of. It's like an ear worm. The reason we get them is because your brain is trying to remember the lyrics to a song. Sit down and read the lyrics to the song and it usually goes away.

I equate my trauma to popping a zit. If you just pop it a little, it will heal over but what's lying underneath gets trapped. You have to squeeze until it runs clear and the wound heals and disappears. You have work to do to figure out the kernel of the truth about the trauma and what it did to you, past the obvious. How did it change the way you see yourself, change the way you see the world? You need to look at it from every angle good and bad - am I actually getting anything positive out of carrying this with me, some kind of identity? If I work to get rid of it, will I find myself again or will just another part of me be gone? That's a scary thought, but you have to do it to understand who you are now. And once you understand that you can decide if you want to change or accept it. But little by little, once you get understanding, the trauma loses the kind of power it has over you now and either disappears or it becomes just another thread in the fabric of who you are and not the definition of you are, consuming your thoughts over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2023 12:29 PM

R23- Say the song is an instrumental 🎼

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2023 12:52 PM

Getting away is a nice thing to do. I wish I could go on a real vacation or better yet, move to a better place that doesn't have constant reminders of the past. The reminders are what bother me the most. In front of my house where my ex would pick me up for dinner, I still can't stomach going to the next town over where he lived. Very uncomfortable to imagine. I'll get through this I suppose, but my good memories are in a never-ending war with my trauma, depression, and grief. So yeah, my suggestion is a holiday or consider moving away from your current situation.

"Wherever you go, there you are" is a total myth told by narcissists. In a new place, you will find a more peaceful life pattern. People get jealous when you are considering starting new somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2023 1:20 PM

As stated above, EMDR, and or CBT/DBT with a good therapist can help.

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2023 2:34 PM

R20, I assume you meant me r19. I don't know. I have never gotten an ear worm for an instrumental, just songs with lyrics. Have you?

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2023 2:38 PM

I think my issues are different.....I've thrived over the last 15-20 years in a way I did not earlier in life.

But my ruminating about the past = more a sense of unresolved feelings about who I am now. Or more specifically....despite thriving in some ways with a solid home and a loving partner, the bullying and trauma I experienced as a teenager made me a wary, aloof person, and that's probably cost me friendships and a bigger, better career.

And I'm going through some mourning and acceptance now that, at almost 54 years old, I really am unlikely to change who I am.

I think of the plant in my yard that grows at a weird angle to capture the sun, and it may sound very Oprahish/woo woo to say this, but I think I'm sorta like that plant - had to take a different life path and miss out on some things to get some of the things I needed.

I'm mostly settled about this....but wish I didn't feel that grass-is-greener sensation sometimes, or a need to explain why I didn't achieve all the things others did.

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2023 2:46 PM

Norma Desmond offers this advice:

"With one look, You'll forgive the past. You'll rejoice, I've returned at last."

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2023 2:50 PM

Try to move the rumination from your head into your body and feel the feelings rather than thinking so much. That’s what I’ve been trying to do because if you focus on actually feeling the emotion and breathing through that feeling, it passes quicker than thinking about it.

You can think and think endlessly but you can only physically FEEL negative emotions (anxiety, fear, sadness) for a short amount of time before it passes through your body. Not to say the feeling won’t return, but at least you aren’t trapped in such a head loop.

Hugs OP. Hang in there.

by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2023 2:54 PM

This guided meditation (Michael Sealey, Detachment from Over-Thinking) helped me. You don't need to do the whole thing. But if you can make it to around the 15-minute mark and a little beyond, that's what helped me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2023 2:54 PM

Not the OP but thanks for that link, r27.

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2023 2:58 PM

Find a good therapist, really. I worked with mine on breaking down the moments to see what triggered them. Also, I was suffering from depression and taking an anti-depressant helped. A family member has post-traumatic stress and works with a therapist to manage his symptoms. If the first therapist you try doesn't help, move on. This is worth working on. You lose time and energy to this.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2023 9:36 PM

R26 That's exactly right. We can have an intellectual understanding of what happened, but it won't heal us. You have to connect to your body sensations and feel the feelings. Then it can complete itself. Thinking and understanding from a cognitive aspect is not enough. For example, for years I rationalized my childhood neglect. I understood intellectually my parents' issues, and why they behaved the way they did. It didn't bring healing. I had to finally go into my feelings and feel all of the grief and anger. And it sucks because you're trying to live your adult life, and these things often are so far in the past, it's a real drag to take time out to relive and feel a bunch of old business. But it's critical to do if you ever want to truly finish the past and get current with the present. And -- you must be patient with the process, and be kind to yourself. It's not a quick fix, but its a beautiful process of healing, and there's nothing really more important than your healing and growth. And peace. You can move out of victimization and reengage with life with well-earned dignity, compassion and wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2023 12:49 AM

I’ve done therapy, hospitalizations, moved away, quit drugs and alcohol.. done everything I could to forget my tragic abusive childhood.

The best thing that helped me (in addition to all that) was antidepressants.

I can’t explain it but the medication REALLY stops the ruminating and all the negative thinking and bad memories. Of course I still have all those thoughts but they are fleeting and I don’t dwell on them.

I was doing so well I even gave up the antidepressants for a while to see if I was “cured.” I did okay for many months but I did start to notice my symptoms coming back again —the same negative thoughts, memories resurfacing, hurt and resentment, obsessing, ruminating.

Now I’m back on the a antidepressants and feeling better. These pills are not for everyone but they are a life saver for me. Everyone around me notices the difference and for that alone I will continue taking them.

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2023 1:49 AM

Alzheimer's

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2023 2:22 AM

The now is all we have try to live in it.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2023 2:23 AM

^ Agree, but then again...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2023 2:24 AM

Maybe try learning to meditate, and whenever the ugly thoughts start slipping in, go to the place where you can clear your mind via meditating. It does help me

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2023 2:28 AM

Life is a jungle. Monsters will cross your path, but when you survive, you win. You're a winner.

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2023 3:45 AM

R36 One of the monsters.

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2023 3:35 PM

R31, what antidepressant are you on?

by Anonymousreply 38January 28, 2023 8:29 AM

Zoloft

by Anonymousreply 39January 28, 2023 10:24 AM

I had a tendency towards this, but an increased workload used up any time I had to sit and ponder.

I have a friend who doesn't need to work and spends their time picking over every perceived grievance or slight.

Occupy yourself more OP, something rewarding- take up art classes, gym, something worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 40January 28, 2023 2:09 PM

R40, yes 🙌

by Anonymousreply 41January 28, 2023 5:01 PM

Make your ruminations work for you by actively working towards sorting out and finding solutions to your issues. Seek out good self help books and videos, keep a journal, try therapy if you can afford it.

by Anonymousreply 42January 28, 2023 5:33 PM

[quote]it's a bad habit to hold onto grudges

yes, b/c the only person it makes miserable is you

by Anonymousreply 43January 28, 2023 9:33 PM

Dr. Ramani Durvasala. has a lot of videos on trauma and narcissistic abuse. She's really good. Just for a start or to supplement your process.

by Anonymousreply 44January 28, 2023 10:29 PM

Revenge.

by Anonymousreply 45January 28, 2023 10:33 PM

Never look back.

by Anonymousreply 46January 28, 2023 10:59 PM

EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique

by Anonymousreply 47January 28, 2023 11:04 PM

Prayer.

Distract yourself when the thoughts invade. Such as pleasant or non-threatening tv shows. game shows, wildlife, nostalgia tv.

Go outdoors for even 5-10 minutes. Trust me, it will help.

by Anonymousreply 48January 28, 2023 11:13 PM

Psychedelics are helping more and more people who are suffering from profound trauma or facing the end of life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 28, 2023 11:21 PM

The thread just completely switched when I posted. Weird. Disregard the above.

by Anonymousreply 50January 29, 2023 6:36 PM

^ sure think, doll

by Anonymousreply 51January 29, 2023 9:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!