Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Craig Bierko Cut Off Contact With BFF Matthew Perry Over "Friends"

In 1994 Craig Bierko was touted as the next big thing, TV studios flooding his agents with TV pilots. One was for the role of Chandler on "Friends" - Craig turned it down, and his BEST FRIEND (Matthew Perry) read for the role and was the last person cast after Craig said no.

"Friends" was an immediate hit; the cast was plastered on billboards and magazine covers and raked in big money. Craig didn't speak to Matthew for two years.

Matthew writes in his book how Craig attempted to apologize for ending their friendship over "Friends"

When he got to my apartment, the tension was high. Craig spoke first

"I want you to know that I am very sorry for not speaking to you for two years," he said. "I simply could not handle that you got rich and famous doing a role that I turned down. We were both good enough to get that role, and yeah, so, I just could not handle it ... "

I heard him out, there was silence. I hate what I was actually going to say, but I had to say it

I said "You know what, Craig? It doesn't do what we all thought it would. It doesn't fix anything."

Craig stared at me, I don't think he believed me. I still don't think he believes me. I think you actually have to have all your dreams come true to realize they are the wrong dreams.

Given everything, there is no way I wouldn't change places with Craig, and David Pressman, and the guy in the gas station down the block - I'd change places with all of them in a minute, and forever, if only I could not be who I am, the way I am, bound on this wheel of fire. They don't have a brain that wants them dead. They slept fine at night. I don't expect that would make them feel any better about the choices they made, they way their lives went.

I would give it all up not to feel this way. I think about it all the time; it's no idle thought - it's a coldhearted fact. That Faustian prayer I made was a stupid one, the prayer of a child. It was not based on anything real.

But it became real.

I have the money, the recognizability, and the near-death experience to prove it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 9, 2023 5:37 PM

Eh, I dunno, Matty.

I think Craig's brain is just as broken as yours.

by Anonymousreply 1January 7, 2023 9:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 7, 2023 9:07 PM

Craig was hot, Matthew not so much… ever.

by Anonymousreply 3January 7, 2023 9:08 PM

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 4January 7, 2023 9:09 PM

Matthew has become almost as tiresome as the Duchess.

by Anonymousreply 5January 7, 2023 9:09 PM

Wow. They both kind of look alike now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2023 9:11 PM

Craig sounds like a real asshole

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2023 9:11 PM

At one time, I wanted Craig inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2023 9:12 PM

Whew, dodged a bullet.

by Anonymousreply 9January 7, 2023 9:15 PM

R8 yeah he has that goofy Matthew Lillard thing

by Anonymousreply 10January 7, 2023 9:19 PM

[quote]At one time, I wanted Craig inside me quite deeply.

Didn't last very long, did it?

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2023 9:21 PM

In his prime, he was really handsome and sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2023 10:13 PM

Again, his prime didn't last very long.

by Anonymousreply 13January 7, 2023 10:14 PM

The only difference in Matthew's addiction would have been crack instead of pure cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 14January 7, 2023 10:44 PM

[Quote] Given everything, there is no way I wouldn't change places with Craig, and David Pressman, and the guy in the gas station down the block…

Because everyone else has a charmed life, free of problems, concerns, stresses. No one else has substance abuse issues caused by their lack of coping mechanisms. It’s only because Matthew was cast as Chandler and gained fame and fortune that his life spiraled.

Bullshit. What tone deaf, delusional, projectionist fantasy utter bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 15January 7, 2023 10:50 PM

Ok Matty come over here and jump on MY wheel of fire, then.

by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2023 12:43 AM

Were they lovers?

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2023 1:51 AM

Craig would have been less believable as Chandler because he had more of a hunk look. Matthew was more nerdy.

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2023 1:55 AM

I was out of work years ago and through the grace of a good friend I landed a regular gig as an extra on a sitcom.

A few times, I was asked to do 'special business' or have a reaction to something; nothing that gave me a bump in pay or anything, but I was grateful to have the work as it kept the rent paid (barely).

I could only dream of being given a line someday and making some real money.

I eventually found other work but LA ain't cheap and I'm going to have to work until three weeks after I'm dead unless something changes.

If Matthew Perry says that having all the success and money that he got doesn't change anything then, he's an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2023 2:01 AM

But resenting a friend who took a part you turned down is really mean.

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2023 2:03 AM

[quote] If Matthew Perry says that having all the success and money that he got doesn't change anything then, he's an idiot.

He saying "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it"

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2023 2:12 AM

Matthew Perry quotes Jim Carrey saying

"I want everyone in the world to get their dream, so they know it is not the answer"

Matthew talks about Craig Bierko cutting off their friendship over "Friends" in this interview - You have to go 31:00 into the video

Perry begins by saying "Even if you get everything you want in life, it doesn't fix your problems"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2023 7:54 PM

[quote]Even if you get everything you want in life, it doesn't fix your problems

Doesn't that just suggest he never wanted his problems fixed?

by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2023 7:56 PM

[quote] Doesn't that just suggest he never wanted his problems fixed?

I think people see other people living a charmed life and thinking "If I only had what he had, I wouldn't have any problems"

That is why having all the money in the world, doesn't solve your problems.

by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2023 7:58 PM

Is Craig a confirmed bachelor?

by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2023 8:14 PM

While it’s true that money doesn’t solve your problems, it helps a lot. Financial stress is a huge burden. Wondering where you’re going to come up with the money to pay a bill, credit card, etc. Anyone who’s ever had money problems will understand.

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2023 8:19 PM

Craig dated Charlize Theron, Janeane Garofalo, and Gretchen Mol, but has not married.

by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2023 11:39 PM

Has Matty ever hurt for money?

by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2023 12:06 AM

[quote]Doesn't that just suggest he never wanted his problems fixed?

No, r23, he's saying that that sudden wealth and fame only exacerbated his problems.

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2023 12:12 AM

[quote]While it’s true that money doesn’t solve your problems, it helps a lot. Financial stress is a huge burden. Wondering where you’re going to come up with the money to pay a bill, credit card, etc. Anyone who’s ever had money problems will understand.

If money is your *only* problem, r26, than yes, an influx of money will help. Mathew's problems ran deeper than money problems. It's not like he's the only celebrity that this has happened to.

by Anonymousreply 30January 9, 2023 12:15 AM

r39 Except he said everything you wanted.

by Anonymousreply 31January 9, 2023 12:18 AM

In that interview he claims to be the first celebrity to go to rehab but I think there were some before. Elizabeth Taylor. Liza.

by Anonymousreply 32January 9, 2023 12:28 AM

Wow he looks terrible now and talks slowly

by Anonymousreply 33January 9, 2023 12:48 AM

[quote] Wow he looks terrible now and talks slowly

He writes in his book that he has damaged his body so much over years of drug use - that he closes his eyes when he takes a shower

by Anonymousreply 34January 9, 2023 12:49 AM

This was Bierko's best work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 9, 2023 1:10 AM

I'm so tired of narcissistic actors going into rehab and then spilling their boring stories all over the place. Mathew Perry wants us to care and feel sorry for him, and we don't and won't. There was no purpose to this idiotic book and confessional tour other than to feed his narcissism. Enough already...

by Anonymousreply 36January 9, 2023 1:12 AM

[quote] There was no purpose to this idiotic book and confessional tour other than to feed his narcissism. Enough already...

Matthew Perry was a coma for three weeks after his colon burst due to his drug use

by Anonymousreply 37January 9, 2023 1:14 AM

R37, and I need to know this because.......?

by Anonymousreply 38January 9, 2023 1:18 AM

R38 having your colon burst and being in a coma for three weeks

Seems to be the opposite of a narcissistic actors spilling their boring stories all over the place - having your colon burst doesn't sound like a boring story, It seems like a scared straight story to educate people on addiction.

by Anonymousreply 39January 9, 2023 1:20 AM

r39, yes, we're so lacking in memoirs, movies, tv shows and articles about the horrors of addiction. They're so hard to find. Thank God Mr. Perry has shared his...

by Anonymousreply 40January 9, 2023 1:22 AM

R32 Betty Ford

by Anonymousreply 41January 9, 2023 1:24 AM

Craig Bierko was so hot when he played the villain in The Long Kiss Goodnight.

He looks horrible now, especially when he smiles.

by Anonymousreply 42January 9, 2023 1:25 AM

[quote] yes, we're so lacking in memoirs, movies, tv shows and articles about the horrors of addiction.

and the more people talk about it and share their stories, the less stigma there will be about addiction being a disease and mental health crisis

Unless you think people should hide this, put it away and live in shame

by Anonymousreply 43January 9, 2023 1:25 AM

He doesn't need the money or have to work again. He says his motive is to provide insight into addiction from an addict's point of view and wanting to help others and I believe he is sincere.

by Anonymousreply 44January 9, 2023 1:26 AM

Craig Bierko looks like a connoisseur of COCK 🍆

by Anonymousreply 45January 9, 2023 1:28 AM

[quote][R39], yes, we're so lacking in memoirs, movies, tv shows and articles about the horrors of addiction. They're so hard to find. Thank God Mr. Perry has shared his...

Why are you in this thread, r40?

by Anonymousreply 46January 9, 2023 1:42 AM

At the time, Bierko was the poorman's Brendan Fraser.

Things seemed to have turned out better for Bierko compared to both Perry and Fraser.

by Anonymousreply 47January 9, 2023 1:52 AM

Rich people telling not so rich people this always works out so well.

“I said "You know what, Craig? It doesn't do what we all thought it would. It doesn't fix anything."

by Anonymousreply 48January 9, 2023 1:56 AM

R36 = Craig Bierko

by Anonymousreply 49January 9, 2023 1:56 AM

Craig was a thoroughly average Harold Hill in Susan Stroman's MUSIC MAN. The guy has had plenty of chances and never really landed. Maybe he's just not that talented...

by Anonymousreply 50January 9, 2023 1:57 AM

[quote] Things seemed to have turned out better for Bierko compared to both Perry and Fraser.

Which is why Perry said he would trade places with Bierko in a second, despite the fame and billions he made on "Friends"

by Anonymousreply 51January 9, 2023 2:02 AM

Breaking News!: Money doesn't equal happiness!

by Anonymousreply 52January 9, 2023 2:05 AM

[quote]The guy has had plenty of chances

He really has, r50. And it's not like any of the Friends cast ever had that level of success again. Perry just fell further. It happens. I watched a Biography (or something) episode on Dana Plato. Talk about rise and fall.

by Anonymousreply 53January 9, 2023 2:08 AM

Please. My friend Arthur came with me to keep me company while I looked at an apartment. He spontaneously decided to submit an application, too. He got it, moved in, and I never spoke to him again. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 54January 9, 2023 2:11 AM

Thank you for sharing, r54. We'll be breaking now for coffee and donuts. If you want to grab a smoke, please do so in the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 55January 9, 2023 2:19 AM

[quote] I heard him out, there was silence. I hate what I was actually going to say, but I had to say it. I said "You know what, Craig? It doesn't do what we all thought it would. It doesn't fix anything."

So then Perry offered Bierko half his money?

Because, you know, it doesn’t fix anything.

by Anonymousreply 56January 9, 2023 4:23 AM

That apology sounds like total bullshit. Matthew clearly made it up for the book.

Nobody in real life says "You got rich and famous" in that context. Plus, Bierko was already pretty famous, as the book notes.

And in the mid-90s, no one on that show could've guessed it would be as lucrative as it would become after 2000. For the first few seasons, the actors' paychecks were actually pretty low, and Friends wasn't a universal hit in the first season. It's highly doubtful two young actors would look at this show in 1997 and say "Wow! What a fortune!"

Artie Lange tells a story about Matthew Perry's assistant (in the late 90s) telling the writing staff of SNL that Perry "Likes to do sketches that remind people he invented Chandler Bing's way of talking." Artie and Norm Macdonald said "Oh, you mean SARCASM?" And the assistant said "Yeah, sure. Matt will tell you he was the first person in comedy to do that on camera!"

by Anonymousreply 57January 9, 2023 4:35 AM

"Given everything, there is no way I wouldn't change places with Craig, and David Pressman, and the guy in the gas station down the block"

Probably because all three have intact colons (thanks, R37).

by Anonymousreply 58January 9, 2023 4:37 AM

[quote]”Given everything, there is no way I wouldn't change places with Craig, and David Pressman, and the guy in the gas station down the block"

Well, he can just buy a gas station down the block and live his dream.

by Anonymousreply 59January 9, 2023 4:53 AM

I guess this shows how shallow friendships in Hollywood can be. Perry considered this guy his best friend and yet it all ended over a job.. Does the book reveal if he has any close friends or family any more?

by Anonymousreply 60January 9, 2023 7:57 AM

Anyone know the real reason Bierko was let go from Matilda? People here at the time indicated that it had nothing to do with an injury.

by Anonymousreply 61January 9, 2023 8:24 AM

He was let go from Matilda because he was terrible in the part.

by Anonymousreply 62January 9, 2023 1:39 PM

R47- We should have a thread-

I'll start

James Caan is a rich mans David Groh

by Anonymousreply 63January 9, 2023 2:28 PM

[quote][R47]- We should have a thread-

[quote]James Caan is a rich mans David Groh

We've done this countless times on DL - it's a DL classic.

by Anonymousreply 64January 9, 2023 2:41 PM

R50. Agree about Bierko in The Music Man. But I have very fond memories of Rebecca Luke (of blessed memory) as Marian.

by Anonymousreply 65January 9, 2023 2:56 PM

It's preposterous when a rich person says they would happily give up all the money... well, go ahead and give it up. To me. Because I'd much rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 66January 9, 2023 5:09 PM

[quote] It's preposterous when a rich person says they would happily give up all the money... well, go ahead and give it up.

Perry is giving away his own money. He is funding sober-living houses all over the world

by Anonymousreply 67January 9, 2023 5:32 PM

[quote] Plus, Bierko was already pretty famous, as the book notes.

I think if you were to say the name "Craig Bierko" in middle America, no one would know who were talking about

But if you say "Chandler" from Friends - they would say "oh yeah that Matthew Perry guy"

by Anonymousreply 68January 9, 2023 5:34 PM

[quote] Friends wasn't a universal hit in the first season

It ended its first season as the #8 show for the year

Being the #8 show of the year is not a universal hit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 9, 2023 5:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!