Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are there any great male singers in contemporary music.

Rolling Stone's list includes many women at the top who are still performing. However, the males at the top of the list are either dead or pretty much retired ( Stevie Wonder). Even DL almost exclusively discusses female singers and barely mentions males unless it's to declare how much they suck. Are there, indeed, any great voices amongst the newer generation of male "pop" singers? With American music dominated by hip-hop and rap, finding one here is very difficult. Who are they? They need not be native English speakers either. It's Star Search all over again. Eliminate opera singers and theater singers ( unless they also dabble in the pop genre).

by Anonymousreply 71February 7, 2023 7:19 PM

Dimash Kudaibergen with his 6 octave range, is considered by many music critics to be the finest male singer in the world today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 7, 2023 7:01 PM

Mark Anthony

by Anonymousreply 2January 7, 2023 7:18 PM

Here is Marc Anthony. Live, which is the only way to evaluate singers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 7, 2023 8:02 PM

[quote]Are there any great male singers in contemporary music.

1. Oh, dear.

2. No.

by Anonymousreply 4January 7, 2023 8:06 PM

IMDB says the best male singer is Morten Harket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 7, 2023 8:08 PM

Josh Groban

by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2023 8:12 PM

Buble?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2023 8:26 PM

Chris Stapleton

by Anonymousreply 8January 8, 2023 2:19 AM

The Weeknd and Harry Styles would be examples of contemporary male artists. Bieber can also sing.

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2023 2:33 AM

Josh Groban is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 8, 2023 2:53 AM

Avery Wilson has a beautiful voice and great range.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 8, 2023 2:55 AM

Gregory Porter is labelled a 'jazz' singer but he crosses genres.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 8, 2023 3:11 AM

Pierce Brosnan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 8, 2023 3:16 AM

As others mentioned upthread:

The Weeknd is making great pop/r&b music, and has a compelling voice to interpret it. He's a real "heartbreak" vocalist, like he can sing all the range of unpleasant emotions.

Chris Stapleton is incredible. And sexy as hell.

For me the modern gold standards were Prince and George Michael. To lose both of them in 2016 was šŸ’”

by Anonymousreply 14January 8, 2023 3:41 AM

I thought Chris Cornell had a fantastic voice--I'm sorry he died a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 15January 8, 2023 3:47 AM

[quote]The Weeknd and Harry Styles would be examples of contemporary male artists. Bieber can also sing.

But could they be classified as great male singers? They are no match for Dimash or Marc Anthony.

by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2023 4:26 AM

Marc Anthony is contemporary though? Heā€™s 54 and his biggest album was 23 years ago, along with his biggest singles.

So I donā€™t consider him contemporary.

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2023 4:49 AM

I mean are we talking about mainstream pop?

Labrinth is the best contemporary male singer out right now with visibility. I mean heā€™s #183 on Spotify right now. Not exactly the biggest artist but heā€™s growing in popularity because of ā€œEuphoriaā€.

I believe heā€™s more mainstream in the UK but heā€™s known in the US through ā€œEuphoriaā€.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2023 4:52 AM

R10 Heā€™s for old people. Not contemporary.

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2023 4:54 AM

Buble.

Great versatile voice, and consistently chooses good material.

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2023 11:27 AM

R1 No he is not, you treacly talent show Stan.

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2023 11:35 AM

Frankie Grande

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2023 11:38 AM

Charlie Puth

by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2023 11:53 AM

Marc Anthony is such an amazing singer, sorry if that makes me old haha. He is super sexy too, but Iā€™m not impressed by his treatment of partners, he looks and sounds so good though.

by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2023 11:59 AM

I mentioned in the thread about this list that many 90s R&B artists are not included on these lists. Like Maxwell and Tevin Campbell.

Miguel, Anderson Paak, Bruno Mars the newer generation

by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2023 12:01 PM

[quote] [R10] Heā€™s for old people. Not contemporary.

HOW DARE YOU !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2023 2:07 PM

Omar Apollo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2023 2:16 PM

[quote]Avery Wilson has a beautiful voice and great range.

Perhaps, but he did a great disservice to that song.

by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2023 2:25 PM

[quote] Dimash Kudaibergen with his 6 octave range, is considered by many music critics to be the finest male singer in the world today.

Never heard of him but he is a genre singer -- i.e. dramatic pop ballads like Celine Dion with Mariah's melisma. When he sings regular pop music (i.e. The Weeknd, Bruno Mars, etc.) he is less impressive.

by Anonymousreply 29January 8, 2023 2:29 PM

R20 Buble is old too. Heā€™s from 20 years ago and only old people listen to him.

by Anonymousreply 30January 8, 2023 2:35 PM

Aaron Tveit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 8, 2023 2:44 PM

Josh Groban sings like an angel.

by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2023 2:50 PM

I'd love to hear The Weeknd try to sing anything remotely close to what Dimash sings. I'm sure he's less than impressive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2023 2:50 PM

[quote]Are there, indeed, any great voices amongst the newer generation of male "pop" singers?

Great voices, not great entertainers. With this criterion, Groban certainly qualifies, since his voice may not appeal to everyone, but it is much better than Styles or The Weeknd. Certainly not as entertaining, but a much better voice.

by Anonymousreply 34January 8, 2023 3:25 PM

Lambert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 8, 2023 3:34 PM

Nathaniel Rateliff, James Morrison, James Arthur, Jonny Lang

by Anonymousreply 36January 8, 2023 7:39 PM

Good choice with Lambert.

by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2023 8:17 PM

What about Zayn? He sounds good on recordings but I don't know if he can sing like that live.

by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2023 9:55 PM

if you want fantastic voices you have to go out of mainstream current. metal is always a good place to start.

Disturbed's Sound of Silence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2023 10:02 PM

R34 Groban is horrible. His voice is absolutely painful to listen to. Heā€™s a choir boy and nothing more.

I think Harry and Weekend have way more range than Groban. Harry and Weekend could vocally do any genre of music they wanted to, Groban canā€™t. Groban can only sing choir music or easy listening soft rock pop. He canā€™t do jazz or R&B or hip-hop or country or anything. Thatā€™s NOT a good singer in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 40January 8, 2023 10:46 PM

Zayn's voice is generic. Hundreds of singers sound like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 9, 2023 2:37 AM

William Hung.

by Anonymousreply 42January 9, 2023 2:47 PM

Zayn's falsetto is great but maybe he can only do it in the recording studio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 9, 2023 9:19 PM

Somebody please mention me, so I can feign outrage and cry about being misgendered!

by Anonymousreply 44January 9, 2023 9:41 PM

I'm surprised Luke James hasn't broken through in a big way.

I thought his voice was astonishingly good when I first heard him about 10 years ago.

He was nominated for a best male R&B vocal Grammy back then, but he's only managed a couple of minor R&B hits since.

Music has changed so much in past decade, and on his newer stuff, he seems to be deliberately de-emphasizing his vocal chops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 9, 2023 11:11 PM

Zayn and Miguel are my favorites from the new school.

Im not into any of the guys that sound like Michael Jackson, ie The Weeknd. Miguel is amazing and underrated.

by Anonymousreply 46January 9, 2023 11:16 PM

LOL at seeing Harry Styles mentioned in this thread

by Anonymousreply 47January 9, 2023 11:20 PM

John Barrowman was a great singer; you heard it during high school State performances.

I enjoy Parson James, but heā€™s still new. Great range.

Patrick Stump is always good.

by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2023 1:45 AM

It was going to be Mika - could still happen.

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2023 2:05 AM

Poor Zayn. So much potential. And he was willing to make druggy "exploratory" music. But globally he has bad taste. And he's not a live artist, really. Is he still an addict on some drug or another?

by Anonymousreply 50January 10, 2023 2:27 AM

I don't think he deserves much sympathy given he's taken no action to sort his problems out, and instead has actually surrounded himself with enablers.

by Anonymousreply 51January 10, 2023 2:40 AM

This might be more folksy than you want, but I'm a fan of Jack Johnson's music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 10, 2023 2:50 AM

So happy to see the criminally underrated Luke James mentioned here. Thank you, R45! Apparently, he seems happy with his burgeoning Broadway career (currently in a play, but he does sing in it a bit). I thought for sure when he first appeared and toured as BeyoncĆ©ā€™s opening act, no less, he would become much more popular than he is given his vocal talent, beautiful face and ripped bod. But, ā€˜twas not meant to be, apparentlyā€¦ at least not yet.

That said, Adam Lambert owns this thread. Hateful nasty dl queens be damned! Cher herself somehow shed a tear through her plastic mask before leading the standing ovation for his incredible ā€œBelieveā€ tribute at the Kennedy Center. Compare that with how Barbra ā€œreceivedā€ Beyā€™s ā€œThe Way We Wereā€ in a very similar situationā€¦

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 10, 2023 3:11 AM

[quote]any great voices amongst the newer generation

"great voice"? Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 16, 2023 7:59 PM

Jack Johnson is *not* a great singer. Most of his songs are maybe 3 notes. He's attractive, yes.

by Anonymousreply 55January 16, 2023 8:47 PM

Don't know if HE'S great, but this is:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 4, 2023 4:17 AM

Adam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 4, 2023 6:57 AM

R14 The Weekend CANNOT sing.

by Anonymousreply 58February 4, 2023 7:08 AM

Although he's no longer contemporary, I would say Tom Jones. Even though he is not known for singling blues, he is fantastic as a blues singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 4, 2023 7:25 AM

Remember me?

by Anonymousreply 60February 4, 2023 7:28 AM

Well, r60, since you rarely sing, and definitely no longer record.....

However, CLAY, I for one will be in your audience this Spring!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 4, 2023 7:44 AM

Patrick Fiori has a great range and an impressive voice. He mainly sings in French though.

by Anonymousreply 62February 4, 2023 7:47 AM

This writer makes some valid points - Mick Jagger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 4, 2023 8:07 AM

Other than Josh Groban, the only male singer I swoon to is Michael Ball. Not only does he look like a cherub, he sings like one too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 6, 2023 2:42 AM

R64, Have you seen him lately?

by Anonymousreply 65February 6, 2023 7:13 AM

How about Tom Ball, R64?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 6, 2023 12:07 PM

[quote] Are there any great male singers in contemporary music.

[quote]1. Oh, dear.

Oh, dear, what?

by Anonymousreply 67February 6, 2023 12:25 PM

Contemporary music is just awful. Iā€™m sick to death of pop and R&B crap. Bring back rock already.

by Anonymousreply 68February 6, 2023 12:26 PM

R67, End punctuation.

by Anonymousreply 69February 7, 2023 1:34 AM

I think that The Weeknd has a beautiful voice. I annoy my kids by saying "he has the voice of an angel!"

by Anonymousreply 70February 7, 2023 4:05 AM

Blind, autistic Kodi Lee can outsing most on this list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 7, 2023 7:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!