Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Soldiers Girl” (2003) - this movie made me cry… and feel anger

I shouldn’t have watched this tonight. I am so angry and so heartbroken. It was so fucked up! And knowing this really happened (to many over the years) really made me angry.

Troy Garity and Lee Pace were both so wonderful in their roles, and Lee Pace made a surprisingly beautiful woman. Or not so surprising as he has some feminine facial features. Troy Garity was so charming and sweet as Barry.

This movie was made 20 years ago, before trans was “in”.

What a tragic love story. I loved their love story. Fuck that hateful motherfucker who did that to Barry.

I watched it on Crackle in HD but I see it’s on YouTube also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 7, 2023 10:49 AM

I also like this movie and thought it was well done. I know it probably wouldn't fly with some social circles these days.

by Anonymousreply 1January 7, 2023 2:49 AM

R1 why???

by Anonymousreply 2January 7, 2023 3:00 AM

R1 I don’t see why it wouldn’t fly. It’s based on a true story.

by Anonymousreply 3January 7, 2023 3:03 AM

R1 The Lee Pace casting probably wouldn't fly with some people.

by Anonymousreply 4January 7, 2023 3:10 AM

I did like the movie when I saw it back in the day.

Yes, it was very sad.

by Anonymousreply 5January 7, 2023 3:11 AM

Why didn't Troy Garity have a bigger career? He was excellent in this movie, and I seem to remember him being nominated during that year's award season.

by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2023 4:31 AM

R6 I have wondered about that as well. He's not a bad actor. Maybe, Jane pissed off certain people in the business and that kept Troy from getting roles.

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2023 6:02 AM

Such a good movie, both Lee and Troy were gorgeous in this. I admit to crying at the end.

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2023 6:56 AM

R6 unfortunately talent doesn’t equal success in Hollywood.

Also, playing gay wasn’t really career making in 2003. Brokeback Mountain was a unique vehicle.

They were nominated for numerous awards up to the Emmys, which snubbed them.

by Anonymousreply 9January 7, 2023 10:42 AM

This was by far Lee Pace’s best work. Really great right out of the gate. Unfortunately, he never lived up to this promise and his career has been off putting, closeted, semi autistic weirdness where he almost always reads as semi creepy. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 10January 7, 2023 10:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!