Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Let's try and make Paul Mescal a star" sez idiots running Hollywood

Jesus Christ even Armie Hammer was more of a movie star than this guy. He looks like he should be playing the best friend in a low-tier Woody Allen movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 2, 2023 1:29 AM

[quote]Jesus Christ even Armie Hammer was more of a movie star than this guy.

Did it occur to you that they're more concerned about being a good actor than being a movie star? He was supposed to be excellent in After Sun. Perhaps they want someone who can act.

Daniel Day Lewis is hardly a "movie start" but is definitely among the best living actors.

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2023 7:37 PM

Definitely more likely to be a Daniel Day Lewis than a hammy Hammer.

He was brilliant in After Sun

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2023 7:41 PM

It’s so funny to me when someone involuntarily reveals that their only measure of someone’s worth in regard to analyzing that persons aptitude at their job is how they look. Says a lot about you OP x. And you’re so sassy while doing it 😭😭😭

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2023 7:42 PM

Paul Mescal is dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2023 8:02 PM

He’s hot and super talented—check out Normal People, The Lost Daughter, God’s Creatures, and Aftersun. He earned this.

by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2023 8:08 PM

Is this a Nepo Baby?

by Anonymousreply 6January 6, 2023 8:36 PM

Extremely sexy.

by Anonymousreply 7January 6, 2023 8:56 PM

Well, at least we know OP isn’t a shill.

by Anonymousreply 8January 6, 2023 9:05 PM

Paul was kind enough to give us MULTIPLE chances to ogle his ginger-haired Irish dong in Normal People, so I won't hear a word against him.

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2023 11:11 PM

Sorry you can't get cast after 100s of auditions, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2023 11:14 PM

Maybe it’s because he shows peen and doesn’t care.

by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2023 11:22 PM

I’m neutral on Mescal, but do we really need a Gladiator sequel?

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2023 11:28 PM

[quote]I’m neutral on Mescal, but do we really need a Gladiator sequel?

We don’t have any original ideas.

by Anonymousreply 13January 6, 2023 11:35 PM

He may be a good actor, but pretending like the media weren't trying to push him as some huge heartthrob is just denying reality.

by Anonymousreply 14January 6, 2023 11:36 PM

OP has a beef with Paul Mescal and has stated her boundaries.

I, on the other hand, enjoy Paul Mescal's beef and hope to see more of it in the future.

by Anonymousreply 15January 6, 2023 11:47 PM

His performance in Aftersun will be remembered forever.

by Anonymousreply 16January 6, 2023 11:50 PM

I searched Google Images and tried to find a picture where he and his hair don't look sort of goofy. And then I found this article, and now I'm going to shut the fuck up about his looks.

[quote] Queer British director Andrew Haigh is lining up Paul Mescal and Andrew Scott to play lovers in an adaptation of Strangers, the award-winning 1987 novel by Japanese author, Taichi Yamada.

IMDB says the film is in post production. Mescal has 7 current projects listed on IMDB, so everyone appears to want him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 7, 2023 12:03 AM

They really do think this guy will happen on a big level.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2023 4:51 AM

His performance in Aftersun is OK but the role doesn't require an enormous output of acting ability. It fits in more with the kind of part Patricia Arquette inexplicably won an Oscar for where all she had to do is make coffee and serve donuts for the family in that movie that took 10 years to shoot. As far as his looks are concerned, he has a great ass in one shot in the movie but his face is average at best. You may of course find that incredibly hot.

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2023 4:59 AM

Mescal won’t be replacing Crowe’s Maximus, whose character met his end in the original film, but instead he will be playing Lucius, the son of Lucilla (Connie Nielsen), who now is a grown man as the story takes place years after the first film ended. Lucius also was the nephew of Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix), the son of Roman leader Marcus Aurelius, who murdered his father seized the throne.

by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2023 5:03 AM

Sometime a Datalounger really nails a description of someone. And OP you nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2023 5:32 AM

R1, Daniel Day Lewis is certainly a movie star for his iconic brand is that of excellent acting and strong masculine characters. A handful of his films have made a ton of money. And his two most iconic roles, There will be Blood, Lincoln are considered among the best films of the 21st century, and not in s "critical" snobbery way, but also recognized as such by the general public.

by Anonymousreply 22January 10, 2023 5:35 AM

Andrew Scott is a fine actor but I am never not distracted by his massive forehead.

by Anonymousreply 23January 10, 2023 7:10 AM

Is that his real last name or did he choose to name himself after a smokey tequila?

by Anonymousreply 24January 10, 2023 7:18 AM

Is Paul Mescal someone who needs to be made by the "idiots" running Hollywood? Or is he the real thing?

Reviews for his performance in the London production of Streetcar Named desire just came in.

[quote] NYT: Paul Mescal Electrifies in a Revelatory ‘Streetcar’

[quote] Hollywood Reporter: Paul Mescal Makes an Explosive Stanley Kowalski in a Brutal Revival

[quote] The Times: Magnetic Paul Mescal is no normal leading man. Mescal is tremendous: he makes the latent violence of Stanley Kowalski into something easy, tangible, vibrant yet unactorly.

And on and on and on.

So you decide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2023 3:50 AM

They really are trying to make this guy happen.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2023 8:05 AM

Newsflash - Show Biz Suits Gets It Right This Time

He's young, ambitious, educated, talented, physically strong, and nice to look at. Of course everyone wants to make him happen. Where is the problem?

We need a fresh Irish hunk.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2023 10:04 AM

I assume OP is Timothee's agent.

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2023 11:31 AM

Not many young actors have the legs to pull off a tunac. Mescal does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2023 11:38 AM

Tinynip. Toss him back into the sea!

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2023 11:40 AM

Sequels to hit movies decades later usually doesn't equal the original...

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2023 12:04 PM

Well thanks to Top Gun everyone is going to try one now

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2023 12:09 PM

jesus, that VPL. droooool

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2023 12:09 PM

He certainly seems to be having a moment.

Friends in the Dublin theatre scene tell me he really just does the one thing. But I’m sure they’re also terribly jealous. Certainly could use a better haircut.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2023 12:11 PM

Sexy sexy guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2023 12:15 PM

You can just imagine the conversation the suits at his agency had with him when convincing him to take the Gladiator sequel: “Paul, now is your time.”

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2023 12:16 PM

Is the sequel going to be called “Baby Gladiator”?

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2023 12:17 PM

What is "the one thing" Paul does?

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2023 12:27 PM

Will Joaquin Phoenix be back? If not I’ll pass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2023 12:36 PM

[quote] You can just imagine the conversation the suits at his agency had with him when convincing him to take the Gladiator sequel...

I'm sure it was much easier than that to get Mescal to participate. "Paul, this is your chance to work with the great Ridley Scott before he dies."

Scott is 85.

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2023 4:37 PM

He's happening again.

He just got an Olivier Award nomination for his performance in Streetcar Named Desire. (Patsy Ferran, who played Blanche, also was nominated.)

Google say: "The Olivier Awards are considered equivalent to Broadway's Tony Awards and France's Molière Award."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 2, 2023 1:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!