Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Chili Recipe

I have two lbs of ground beef and need suggestions. Heat is fine. Yes, I did do a search.

Thanks to fat whores everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2023 10:01 PM

Two pounds? Are you feeding a dozen people?

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2023 4:07 PM

Two of these + two cans of your favorite beans and two cans of your favorite diced tomatoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2023 4:09 PM

Tex in this thread posts a decent recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2023 4:11 PM

Thanks, R3. Unfortunately, I have ground beef to work with, not short ribs but an interesting thread.

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2023 4:20 PM

OP, you could do a Cincinnati Chili and serve it over spaghetti:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2023 11:21 PM

Watch the "Mama's Family" chili episode and use Naomi's recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2023 12:54 AM

My partner decided to make his crappy recipe with sweet potatoes instead of beans and hunks of onion. I've never been able to tell him his cooking is awful.

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2023 11:25 PM

Too bad it wasn’t any good, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8January 8, 2023 12:47 AM

Paging the tiresome and boring nuisance with its lies and stolen recipes.

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote]OP / R7: My partner decided to make his crappy recipe with sweet potatoes instead of beans and hunks of onion. I've never been able to tell him his cooking is awful.

Post that recipe and let DL decide if it's crappy, or if there's potential.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2023 2:24 AM

My Mexican Grandmas recipe......Go get those dried Mexican chillies that are whole and come in a big bag from the grocery. Boil them in water till soft. Pull out the seeds and stems then throw them soaked and soft in with the meat and onions sautée it all together with some tomatoes and some fresh ground cumin and salt. Guallio Chillis have a Tutu fruity flavor Pasillas have a tobacco flavor. I like to mix them. I use about 5 big ones of each kind with a pound of meat. The longer you cook it the better it gets.

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2023 2:56 AM

I like Gebhardt's chili powder. At first, I didn't trust it because of the name. I also like Frontier brand "fiesta" chili powder.

You can add chocolate to your chili, as well. I've broken off pieces of chocolate bars and added it to my chili.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2023 3:02 AM

Favorite Chili Recipe is the secret Recipe served at Mel's Diner in Phoenix from 1976 - 85. Truckers from all over got off the highway to grab a bowl of chili and a cup o' coffee and pinch Flo's ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2023 3:15 AM

[quote]My partner decided to make his crappy recipe with sweet potatoes instead of beans and hunks of onion.

Gross.

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2023 12:10 PM

Update: Partner left the chili out all night after transferring it from crockpot to containers. He threw it all away. We begin again tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2023 6:42 PM

Let partner know that he can't cook for shit. Does he enjoy his own cooking?

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2023 6:54 PM

R15/OP - are you using chunks of meat this time, or ground?

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2023 5:44 PM

R13? Kiss my grits!

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2023 5:50 PM

R5 i’ve always wanted to try Cincinnati chili. Is it any good?

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2023 6:14 PM

R19, do you think cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and possibly nutmeg belong in chili? Then you might like the Cincinnati version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2023 6:27 PM

[quote]R19: i’ve always wanted to try Cincinnati chili. Is it any good?

I like it. R20 is correct that it has a couple of odd seasonings (no, nutmeg is not one that I would use), but the amounts are so tiny that it's not overwhelming. If someone tastes it and exclaims, 'Goddamn, that's got cloves in it,' then too much has been added.

Some of those seasonings are added by chefs and by ethnic cooks to regular chili, and many are simply unaware of their presence - cocoa powder, cinnamon, or allspice.

It's best to read a number of online recipes for Cincinnati Chili, and sort of collate what you think would be the best features, and try them out. In the final analysis, you will be the best judge of what you like and don't like in it.

by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2023 10:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!