Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The critics love M3GAN!

Many also predict M3GAN will become a queer camp classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 26, 2023 5:50 PM

I just saw this. This is actually a pretty legit Philip K Dick-esque science fiction movie in addition to being a great black comedy. It’s not a schlocky self-aware horror film like Child’s Play, which is kind of how it’s marketed. It has serious themes both of the science fiction and family drama variety, but it’s also aware of its black comedy potential and has fun with itself. I would say it’s sort of closer to something like Rosemary’s Baby (obviously never reaching Polanski’s artistic heights) than Child’s Play. I was very pleasantly surprised. The finalé is also a great throwback to one of the most famous android film scenes ever.

The coming attractions had three other Universal films (Cocaine Bear, Knock on the Cabin and Renfield) which could indicate a banger year for the studio and its new brand of horror.

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2023 1:05 AM

You lost me at 'queer'.

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2023 1:11 AM

R1, what's the ending?

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2023 1:41 AM

R3 there are like two AI films from the 80s that have very famous endings

It’s one of those

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2023 1:57 AM

Just saw it. Meh. I was ready for some campy fun. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 5January 8, 2023 9:26 PM

It was a fun diversion and nothing more. The CGI and practical effects for the doll are amazing, very expressive and creepy movement acting...it's worth seeing just for that alone. They use a lot of familiar tropes and they forecast the ending pretty early on but that's the only down point of the movie for me

by Anonymousreply 6January 8, 2023 11:19 PM

Williams' robotic acting is a down point.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2023 8:41 PM

The robotic doll was the most human acting of all the cast members - especially Williams.

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2023 7:08 PM

Was cocaine bear a success?

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2023 7:20 PM

I was heralding this film here repeatedly until i learned it was PG-13.

Just saw it-

What a BLAST! and the script was very, very clever- a very smart film. And the soundtrack and overall production was first rate.

I was actually very impressed!

Would love Part 2 to be rated R though!

A shocking 7/10 for me!

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2023 11:39 PM

I just finished watching it & give it a 9 out of 10.

The FX were top notch but the ending was predictable so I took 1 point off.

I still like the last half hour the best.

No sexy guys in it so don't get your hopes up.

by Anonymousreply 11February 25, 2023 7:20 AM

I wanna make a film with that white bitch and win a second Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 12February 25, 2023 7:30 AM

R11- wasn't it enjoyable? I was raving about it for 6 months before the premier, read it was PG-13, and said FUCK IT.

Watched it a few weeks ago and loved it. I want to see if the "unrated" version is really much better- I may actually buy this one.

The script was far better than I imagined- The film was pretty intelligent for what it was.

Cannot wait for the sequel!

by Anonymousreply 13February 25, 2023 12:25 PM

Okay I’ll have to see it since it’s getting good reviews on here. It looked very predictable from the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 14February 25, 2023 4:15 PM

Looks so camp

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2023 4:16 PM

R14- It IS predictable. But very very good. (And the trailer IS the film)

But there is one pretty damn good jump scare early on- You will know it the minute it happens. It was well done.

by Anonymousreply 16February 25, 2023 4:17 PM

R15- It not as campy as I suspected, but more intelligent. But its campy too.

by Anonymousreply 17February 25, 2023 4:18 PM

The unrated version is on Peacock now

by Anonymousreply 18February 25, 2023 4:18 PM

Watched it this afternoon while I folded laundry. Yeah, it was good.

by Anonymousreply 19February 25, 2023 9:56 PM

The unrated version was better- 3 deaths KILLED instead of being edited out. It was great!

R19- You sound sad! You should have had a glass of wine when you watched it. or 2?

Unrated was the way to go! The elevator scene especially. And the lawn spray had that extra OOMPH! A full skin peel is always better.

The film was clearly an R from the get-go.

by Anonymousreply 20February 25, 2023 11:14 PM

I’m not sad, I just felt guilty watching a movie in the middle of the afternoon so I felt the need to let you know I did something useful too.

by Anonymousreply 21February 26, 2023 4:33 PM

I saw this in the theatre - it was a lot of fun. I love that of all the gay themed releases over the last year, this was the film that all the gays railed being. I didn't know there was an uncut release. It's been on Amazon for a while, but the rental is 19.99. I'm not sure if that's the theatrical cut or not.

I'm excited for Megan 2.0.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 26, 2023 5:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!