Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Happened to Whoopi Goldberg?

She always seemed like such a fun person in the 80s and 90s. Someone you’d enjoy being around. Now she’s…well, she’s the opposite of that. Am I confusing the actress with her characters and she’s always been this way?

by Anonymousreply 31January 5, 2023 1:49 AM

[quote] Am I confusing the actress with her characters and she’s always been this way?

I think so. I get the impression Whoopi is one of those people whose public persona doesn't match her true self.

by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2023 1:31 AM

I love her '80s films -- Burglar, Jumpin' Jack Flash, and even Fatal Beauty. I don't think she gets enough credit for breaking new ground with those films as a black female comedy action star. She could have had a career revival a la Travolta in "Pulp Fiction" but for whatever reason, it just didn't happen. Then "The View" transformed her from actress to talk show host in the public mind. It's too bad, really, because she is one-of-a-kind and fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2023 1:40 AM

She's always been self-righteous and stubborn.

She has indulged those qualities more and more as she gets older, as many older people do.

by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2023 1:40 AM

Karin was just doing a shtick all those years, as most performers do.

Turns out, she's just a grumpy old woman who likes to fart and pop-off on all manner of topics she may not fully understand.

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2023 1:45 AM

She's always been a raging thunder cunt but Theodore Rex ruined whatever reputation she had as an actress and she's been bitter ever since.

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2023 1:45 AM

[quote]She always seemed like such a fun person in the 80s and 90s.

I hung out with her a couple of times back then.

The person she is on The View doesn't jive with that person.

Then I remember that was a long time ago, I was much younger too, and I think she just got older and colder.

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2023 2:12 AM

Remember her relationship with Ted Danson?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2023 2:39 AM

and Timothy Dalton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2023 2:42 AM

[quote] Remember her relationship with Ted Danson?

What was he on back then? Crack? At any rate, I remember her getting roasted by The Friar's Club and Danson did a bit where....well, here's a recap of it:

Actor Ted Danson showed up in minstrel blackface and peppered his jokes with racial epithets at the Friars Club roast of his lover, comedian Whoopi Goldberg.

The former ″Cheers″ star offended Mayor David Dinkins, talk show host Montel Williams and others who said his performance was over the line, even for a function where the highest compliment is a crude, brutal insult.

Danson, appearing in a top hat and blackface with big white painted lips, used the word ″ni**er″ more than a dozen times as he joked about his and Goldberg’s sex life and other topics.

Goldberg sat on the dais and occasionally grinned during Danson’s performance in her honor.

She began her rebuttal by saying, ″Ni**er, ni**er, ni**er, whitey, whitey, whitey. It takes a whole lot of (courage) to come out in blackface ... I don’t care if you don’t like it. I do.″

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2023 2:49 AM

Looks like I need to put some Shug Avery pee in every one of your Lemon Drops.

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2023 3:18 AM

She's an idiot. Always was. She's still saying the Holoaust was not about race because the Nazis and Jews were both whiteys.

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2023 3:34 AM

She doesn't seem very intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2023 3:45 AM

She got wealthy and famous.

And let it go to her head.

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2023 3:50 AM

She loved white dick.

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2023 4:22 AM

Her best movie. Full movie in link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2023 4:23 AM

[quote] She loved white dick.

I don't think white dick loved her.

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2023 4:25 AM

“The vie en vie thing….”

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2023 5:24 AM

I always thought Timothy Dalton was gay.

And didn't she also date Frank Langella? Now THERE'S a sexually ambiguous man...

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2023 5:28 AM

[quote]The person she is on The View doesn't jive with that person.

Jibe, please

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2023 3:19 PM

I liked her in Sister Act too.

by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2023 4:19 PM

She's a great actress. Ghost, the Color Purple, Sister Act, these are films that hold up after decades and she's central to them.

But she's not a very intelligent person, and she's not necessarily a decent person, either. She's deeply flawed.

by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2023 4:27 PM

I remember the Ted Danson in blackface as a minor scandal. A head scratcher.

Now it seems really shocking.

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2023 5:52 PM

[quote] Now it seems really shocking.

If anybody today did what Ted Danson did, even at a Friar's roast, he would immediately be cancelled. Same with Goldberg for defending it and liking it.

by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2023 7:12 PM

I would hope Danson and Goldberg both know better today. That doesn't excuse them not knowing 30 years ago, though.

by Anonymousreply 24January 4, 2023 7:23 PM

[quote]I hung out with her a couple of times back then.The person she is on The View doesn't jive with that person.

Bitch, you don't know her. And she sure as hell don't know your ass!

by Anonymousreply 25January 4, 2023 7:25 PM

Whoopi, you in danger girl!

by Anonymousreply 26January 4, 2023 7:46 PM

She was wacky and whimsical as the Center Square on the revamped Hollywood Squares. What happened to that funny lady? I miss the sassy black maid quality she brought to her stand up. Trying to make her Barbara Walters was a career mistake for her.

by Anonymousreply 27January 4, 2023 7:52 PM

Her "white cock" lovers were either gay (TImothy Dalton, Frank Langella, Brent Spiner) or mentally addled (Ted Danson).

by Anonymousreply 28January 5, 2023 12:30 AM

I dated a guy in the original Broadway cast of "Thoroughly Modern Millie." True story: They never even saw Whoopi - who was billed was a "producer" -- ever, ever. Not in rehearsals, not at the opening, not ever...

Until Tony night when she appeared on stage to collect the Tony, and then stood up at the party and made a huge speech where she took all the credit for their wins. I think that is the T in her EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 29January 5, 2023 12:45 AM

R29 You can’t spell egotist without EGOT

by Anonymousreply 30January 5, 2023 12:50 AM

All a producer needs to do is sign the checks.

by Anonymousreply 31January 5, 2023 1:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!