Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why hasn't Winona Ryder had a bigger comeback/

Yes, Stranger Things is popular, but she deserves better than playing a mom on a crappy teen show. That career path is usually followed by washed-up former teen stars from trashy teen shows like 90210. Winona was one of the biggest movie stars of all time. She should be starring in movies now, Julianne Moore type roles.

by Anonymousreply 60January 29, 2023 1:11 PM

She's a bug eyed no talent.

by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2023 12:54 AM

The shoplifting thing, where she actually went to trial and lost, was an indicator of something wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2023 12:54 AM

Everything Johnny Depp touched turns to shit.

by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2023 12:57 AM

R3 His ex Vanessa seems to be doing well.

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2023 1:02 AM

Perhaps she was all hype. The only thing I ever liked her in was "Heathers" and even then she was overshadowed by her costars as she tends to be. She was good in her teens but I can't think of a single performance as an adult that impressed me. Even Angelina Jolie stole some of her shine and Angie doesn't particularly impress me either. Some actors are hot for a awhile, star in a lot of hit films and then fall off. There are very few Julia Roberts types in Hollywood. Julia is the only person who immediately comes to mind as a movie star whose had consistent hits for decades.

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2023 1:14 AM

[quote]She should be starring in movies now, Julianne Moore type roles.

I know JM is considered a great actress and has won all sorts of awards, and has been in The Hunger Games, so she's known to younger audiences (she's 62), but I still don't think she's a real household name, or a movie superstar, like, say, Julia Roberts or Meryl Streep.

Winona is the top-billed star of the highest rated streaming show, Stranger Things. How is that bad? It's not a crappy teen show. I's not crappy, nor is it a teen show.

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2023 1:22 AM

*It's

by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2023 1:23 AM

She never unlearned the bad tricks she picked up as a child actress. That dooms most former child actors.

She's also hard to cast--she's a great beauty, but she's over fifty.

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2023 1:23 AM

She got on Miriam Margolyes' bad side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2023 1:27 AM

Crappy teen show? It’s a critically acclaimed pop culture phenomenon “crappy” TV show.

Julianne Moore does not have the notability or popularity Winona Ryder has had in the last 5 years.

TV Series >>>>> Movies

You sound like you’re not living in 2023.

Winona Ryder doing “Stranger Things” is literally what opened the doors for big Hollywood actors to do TV. They followed her.

So downplaying her is crazy.

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2023 1:28 AM

Calling her one of the biggest stars of all time is just a bit of a stretch

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2023 1:30 AM

[quote]Julia is the only person who immediately comes to mind as a movie star whose had consistent hits for decades.

Sandra Bullock would like a word with you.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2023 1:32 AM

I wouldn't say she was a child actress, at least not a famous one - her breakthrough was probably Beetlejuice, when she was 17.

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2023 1:32 AM

She's had chances. She just stopped being interesting or impressive.

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2023 1:32 AM

I think she’s pretty happy to have a fairly low-key, not too demanding role. She seems uncomfortable out in the public eye and social media world.

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2023 1:33 AM

She was in a lot of great movies but I think it was the movies (stories and visuals) that were the big draw, not her.

I don’t remember people saying “let’s go see the latest Winona Ryder movie” like they did with Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2023 1:35 AM

[QUOTE] I wouldn't say she was a child actress, at least not a famous one - her breakthrough was probably Beetlejuice, when she was 17.

Wasn’t “Lucas” her breakthrough?

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2023 1:38 AM

I can't tell how much her change in appearance since her 90s heyday is due to age and how much is due to surgery. She looks quite different to my eye. I think Alien Resurrection was her peak in terms of beauty

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2023 1:42 AM

She was awful in Jim Jarmusch's "Night on Earth." She played a sassy, gum-chewing, cigarette-smoking cab driver with Gena Rowlands as her passenger.

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2023 1:50 AM

She personified Gen X weariness, irony and ennui.

She was the IT girl of the Gen X generation - but that time passed. Hell, it was looking a little worn out with that film Reality Bites.

Then she took too long of a break, was overly choosy due to her early success and money and quickly offers dried up and she was forgotten.

She's had a fine career - most people have about 5 good years at their peak.

by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2023 1:56 AM

R17 Lucas was her first movie. She was 15. I just read on a few sites that Beetlejuice was her "breakthrough role". To be honest, I did see Lucas when it came out, and I remember her, slightly, but I never saw Beetlejuice, so I'm just quoting other sources.

by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2023 2:04 AM

[quote]Winona Ryder doing “Stranger Things” is literally what opened the doors for big Hollywood actors to do TV. They followed her.

Um, I'm not sure I'd give her that much credit there. I'm fairly sure it was Glenn Close doing Damages that opened the door to movie stars doing TV series. It seemed pretty shocking and uncharacteristic for a movie star to be on a television show when she did that. And I bet even M (of Big Little Lies) would agree with that.

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2023 2:10 AM

Wasn't Lucille Ball the first movie star to do a TV series?

by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2023 2:24 AM

[quote]Winona was one of the biggest movie stars of all time.

She was? When?

by Anonymousreply 24January 4, 2023 2:33 AM

R22 No.

“Damages” is of the old TV era.

“Stranger Things” was on Netflix and Winona was one of (if not the first) prominent movie stars to join a TV series on a streaming service.

“Stranger Things” became the first original popular streaming service TV show. It changed the game.

by Anonymousreply 25January 4, 2023 2:57 AM

I’m sorry “Orange is the New Black” was the first popular streaming show. But “Stranger Things” followed.

by Anonymousreply 26January 4, 2023 2:59 AM

"Take me away from all this....death"

by Anonymousreply 27January 4, 2023 3:02 AM

R26 I thought it was House Of Cards.

by Anonymousreply 28January 4, 2023 4:32 AM

Glenn Close was in the main cast of The Shield (for one season) even before Damages.

by Anonymousreply 29January 4, 2023 5:01 AM

Wow, Glenn’s career has been in the shitter for longer than I thought.

by Anonymousreply 30January 4, 2023 10:15 AM

The makers of The Shield gloated endlessly about attracting Forrest Whittaker and Glenn Close to the cast.

by Anonymousreply 31January 4, 2023 11:48 AM

When I think "biggest movie stars of all time", I think Ingrid Bergman, Samuel L. Jackson, Humphrey Bogart, Brigitte Bardot, Winona Ryder, Bette Davis, and Tom Cruise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 4, 2023 12:16 PM

I enjoy Miriam Margolyes’ schtick and she was very good in The Age Of Innocence but Winona Ryder was expertly directly - and full credit to her, she didn’t put a foot wrong - into a performance that is the most memorable of the film.

by Anonymousreply 33January 4, 2023 12:24 PM

Agree that she was great in The Age of Innocence, r33, though in my view not the most memorable.

If you think of the actresses who were her competitors at the time (paltrow, uma thurman, even jolie), none is doing great right now (roberts and bullock excepted). They reached a difficult age where they are usually too old to play ingenues and too odd/plastified looking to play older motherly roles.

by Anonymousreply 34January 4, 2023 1:00 PM

why are bullock and roberts doing so much better than the others? better plastic surgery or less of it?

by Anonymousreply 35January 4, 2023 2:35 PM

Oh god Bullock has a mummified face, way too much plastic surgery. She's done better because 1) good actress (in her genres) and 2) very very likable. Roberts simply has the precious "it" factor. Star aura. Always has had it.

by Anonymousreply 36January 4, 2023 2:38 PM

Bullock and Roberts are girl next doors for Middle American hausfraus. Winona was that waifish Goth/alternative girl that the cheerleaders and homecoming queens made fun of. She's not meant to be relatable.

by Anonymousreply 37January 4, 2023 2:38 PM

Given the loopy way she acts, I wonder if she's been deemed "difficult" or "high maintenance" in Hollywood. If nothing else, you'd think that her former Gen X co-stars Ethan Hawke might cast her in one of his endeavors, but that doesn't really seem to be the case.

by Anonymousreply 38January 4, 2023 6:56 PM

[quote]Why hasn't Winona Ryder had a bigger comeback/

Because she can't act, perhaps/ (sic)

by Anonymousreply 39January 4, 2023 6:59 PM

And she's nuts.

by Anonymousreply 40January 4, 2023 7:00 PM

[quote] Winona was that waifish Goth/alternative girl that the cheerleaders and homecoming queens made fun of.

Only in Hollywood movies is WR an outsider. In real life, she's very conventionally pretty and better-looking than any cheerleader. Even if, in real life, she decided to be an outsider, her good looks would insulate her from derision.

by Anonymousreply 41January 4, 2023 7:03 PM

Angelina now has the Maleficent movies and endless sequels. She has a lifestyle to support.

Julia Roberts & Bullock have tons of frau fans.

by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2023 7:04 PM

Wasn't Winona beat up in high school because she looked like a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 43January 4, 2023 7:09 PM

Winona is definitely beautiful but she really blossomed around Heathers and Edward Scissorhands. As a young kid and teen with blonde hair, she was androgynous looking and awkward. The black hair, eyeliner and gothic/alt fashion enhanced her looks and made her unique.

by Anonymousreply 44January 4, 2023 7:55 PM

Winona is a prettier version of Joan Cusack.

by Anonymousreply 45January 4, 2023 8:11 PM

Is she still lifting?

by Anonymousreply 46January 4, 2023 8:17 PM

If Noni gained some weight she could play Gretchen Whitmer in a movie or miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 47January 4, 2023 9:08 PM

Winona is no great beauty and never was, she's at best cute, or pretty. But she's great on Stranger Things, at least I think so. So many things she captured about that character. I think she's way better than she ever was before. I was reluctant to see the show originally because of her. I thought, "Boring, one-note Winona Ryder." I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 48January 5, 2023 2:24 PM

She's had mental problems for years. There's a reason that you don't see her out in public much, socially, as a part of the Hollywood scene.

Though I can't say I blame her. That scene is crazy and would make anyone nuts.

by Anonymousreply 49January 5, 2023 2:59 PM

R49 What type of mental problems?

by Anonymousreply 50January 5, 2023 4:02 PM

Well, kleptomania, to start. Compulsive shoplifting, at least - although that could have been symptomatic of wider anxiety or depression issues.

by Anonymousreply 51January 5, 2023 4:36 PM

On WWHL, it seemed like Christina Ricci implied that Winona was on drugs when she had that weird moment at the Oscars with her Stranger Things costar.

by Anonymousreply 52January 5, 2023 4:37 PM

Winona was and is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 53January 5, 2023 5:46 PM

Christina Ricci seemed to be her successor of sorts though a stronger actress. I always felt her role in Sleepy Hollow was intended for Winona.

by Anonymousreply 54January 28, 2023 8:29 PM

Op is stupid

by Anonymousreply 55January 28, 2023 9:25 PM

I found her insufferable on Stranger Things. Whiny and shrill. The poster who said she was the Gen X it girl was right.

by Anonymousreply 56January 28, 2023 10:02 PM

Not that great of an actress, tbh.

by Anonymousreply 57January 28, 2023 10:11 PM

R56 She should have poured herself a cup of and English Breakfast tea let her son go missing, ignoring it with dignity and taste, in a nice wool suit.

by Anonymousreply 58January 28, 2023 11:33 PM

Ageism---same reason most her age don't have a bigger comeback.

by Anonymousreply 59January 29, 2023 5:47 AM

Definitely the Gen X it girl. I never warmed up to her or liked her acting even though I’m Gen X at least not until she was much older. And while I do think she was always pretty, the nose job she got really improved her looks. Without it, she would not have been considered such a great beauty, I don’t think.

I’m surprised by the compliments she has gotten on this thread for “Age of Innocence.” She was well directed and did the job, but her performance rarely worked for me in that movie. Flashes here and there, but overall no. I think it was in part her voice? Also, I’ve said this before, it’s hard to portray that true WASP type if you have not been a part of that culture. The behavior is subtle, but the energy is intense. Winona was raised by Jewish hippies. She wouldn’t understand it at all. She said as much in an interview. She was confused as to why Scorsese kept telling her to pull back.

by Anonymousreply 60January 29, 2023 1:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!