Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MENU

wtf did i just watch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 1, 2023 2:15 AM

It sucked hard.

by Anonymousreply 1January 3, 2023 7:58 PM

remind me a bit of

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 3, 2023 11:24 PM

The Asian actress is the best part, malevolent and perfect.

by Anonymousreply 3January 5, 2023 12:52 AM

I thought it was excellent. A horror film, served in successive courses of increasing tension, with the perfect amuse bouche at the end.

I sooo want to talk about specific remarkable moments in the film, but cannot risk spoiling it for those who have not yet seen it.

I agree, R3, she's one of the best parts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 5, 2023 12:56 AM

Judith Light, also very good. An excellent actor.

by Anonymousreply 5January 5, 2023 1:04 AM

I loved this movie. Had a similar reaction to the OP.

It is on HBO Max now for those who didn’t see it in theaters.

by Anonymousreply 6January 5, 2023 1:15 AM

Oh, gawd, that fish-eyed girl again. And she doesn't look like she eats, so I'm not sure why she was cast in this.

by Anonymousreply 7January 5, 2023 1:21 AM

[quote] with the perfect amuse bouche at the end

An "amuse bouche" is served at the beginning of a meal, not the end.

by Anonymousreply 8January 5, 2023 1:49 AM

Let me guess . . . It's about cannibalism?

by Anonymousreply 9January 5, 2023 1:53 AM

No. It isn't. I dislike this film but will not offer spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 10January 5, 2023 1:56 AM

I thought it was stupid but it was ok for some mindless entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 11January 5, 2023 2:22 AM

I once got downvoted to hell by all the earnest, easily-offended fraus on the Deuxmoi subreddit for saying Anya Taylor-Joy resembles a hammerhead shark, R7…

by Anonymousreply 12January 5, 2023 2:37 AM

Hong Chau is pretty homely and charmless.

by Anonymousreply 13January 5, 2023 2:38 AM

[quote]R8: An "amuse bouche" is served at the beginning of a meal, not the end.

While it's frequently offered at the beginning of a meal, when an 'amuse bouche' arrives is at the discretion of the chef. It can be between courses (i.e. in 'The Menu,' the small treat offered to Ted for being the last guest caught), or at the end of a meal (the unwashed warthog anus given to Anthony Bourdain in Namibia at the conclusion of the meal).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 5, 2023 2:39 AM

Is it a gross-out film?

by Anonymousreply 15January 5, 2023 2:44 AM

No. Pretentious, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 16January 5, 2023 2:49 AM

[quote]Is it a gross-out film?

Not especially, R15, although there are several scenes which shock or startle.

[quote]No. Pretentious, IMO.

R16, it's more a send-up of pretentiousness, especially that of haute cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 17January 5, 2023 2:51 AM

I hated it.

And it seems like this is the standard Ralph Fiennes performance these days. He's become an insufferable pompous bore in everything.

by Anonymousreply 18January 5, 2023 2:56 AM

I like Nicholas Hoult. I heard his character was pompous.

by Anonymousreply 19January 5, 2023 3:06 AM

I want to fuck Nicholas Hault.

by Anonymousreply 20January 5, 2023 3:09 AM

The characters aren't pompous.

by Anonymousreply 21January 5, 2023 3:19 AM

Nicholas Hoult is hot. I actually liked this movie. Although I had trouble understanding what the chef was aiming for, apart from the ends of all ends.

by Anonymousreply 22January 5, 2023 3:20 AM

[quote]R21: The characters aren't pompous.

I would say that several of them are, and it's kind of the point of this film. The trolls on this thread are just doing what they do for to new movies, shitting all over them, and character-assassinating the actors. But it's kind of odd, and one can tell they haven't actually watched the film, like R7 ("she doesn't look like she eats, so I'm not sure why she was cast in this"), when the character Anya Taylor-Joy plays is a girl who for the most part won't eat. R13 ("Hong Chau is pretty homely and charmless") doesn't get that it's the point of ℎ𝑒𝑟 character; the character is supposed to be severe and unlovely. R18 ("the standard Ralph Fiennes performance these days. He's become an insufferable pompous bore in everything") doesn't get that he's playing a send-up of an insufferably pompous chef who's the center of a cult of personality. They're attacking the film from impressions they picked up from the trailer, but none of them have really seen it. And I cannot comment on R19's remark without giving away something important about Nicholas Hoult's character.

by Anonymousreply 23January 5, 2023 3:34 AM

The average film is getting worse and worse, through no fault of the actors, who were great. I was pretty bored by this-- the "rich people on vacation/retreat getting punished for their gluttony" genre is getting played out. Love Anya Taylor Joy. Surprisingly, not about cannibalism.

by Anonymousreply 24January 5, 2023 1:49 PM

Hoult is an above attractive performer, he stands out because of his exceptional good looks.

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2023 12:04 AM

“I’m still fucking hungry”

You look like you live on Marlboro Lights and Diet Coke. Bad casting of Hollywood’s skinniest fashionista.

by Anonymousreply 26January 7, 2023 9:54 AM

R7 Fuck you. She's hot.

by Anonymousreply 27January 7, 2023 10:02 AM

And not hungry.

by Anonymousreply 28January 7, 2023 10:13 AM

R23, I saw it and it sucked. It wasn't anything impressive or original. Not everyone is a troll.

by Anonymousreply 29January 7, 2023 10:20 AM

I'm curious to see it but it's not available yet where I live.

by Anonymousreply 30January 7, 2023 10:27 AM

Ugh. What a waste of time. Even Glass Onion did this “I would be a better rich person than these capitalist fuckers!” thing better.

by Anonymousreply 31January 7, 2023 10:28 AM

It was entertaining satire, but ultimately lame.

by Anonymousreply 32January 7, 2023 12:49 PM

[quote]R26: “I’m still fucking hungry”

*** 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆: 𝐒𝐏𝐎𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃 ***

Based on what she'd seen inside Chef's house, she was picking the lock of this self-described 'monster's particular psychology. She gave him a straightforward assessment of his cooking and what had gone wrong with his whole approach. "I'm still fucking hungry" was the key that opened within him the need to see to it that she was served and if possible, satisfied. Having seen the photograph of him when he was happiest, she asked for a cheeseburger.

It was a very touching scene; I nearly wept when I saw what her request did for him. She gave him back - however briefly - his self-respect, the joy of cooking for others which he had long since lost, his pride in his work, cooking something he did best. Chef saw to the making and serving of the cheeseburger, a double meat with cheese with julienne fries, personally, and collected an appropriate fee ($9.95).

"𝑇ℎ𝑎𝑡 is a cheeseburger," Margot opined, savoring a big mouthful as Chef watched, appreciatively. "Unfortunately, I think my eyes were a little bigger than my stomach," she added. "Well, I understand," Chef replied.

"Can I get the rest to go?" she asked. There was a pause while Chef weighed whether what she had given back to him was worth allowing her to live. "One moment, please," said Chef, and rang the bell. "One cheeseburger to go. And a gift bag. Thank you for dining at Hawthorne."

Leaving, Margot paused at the entrance, looking uncertainly back at her fellow diners, trying to decide if she should try to intercede for them. Mrs. Leibrandt waved her out, silently mouthing, "Go, go, go!"

It really is an excellent film. I don't think the posters shitting on it actually watched it, or if they did, they failed to understand it.

by Anonymousreply 33January 7, 2023 3:39 PM

Passable, mindless entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 34January 7, 2023 4:03 PM

Saw it last night and found it really entertaining. By comparison I hated Glass Onion. Both films are pretty far-fetched.

by Anonymousreply 35January 7, 2023 4:13 PM

I watched it tonight, totally rapt, but am not sure what to make of this movie.

by Anonymousreply 36January 8, 2023 5:59 AM

R30, where do you live that HBO is not available?

by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2023 6:07 AM

I also watched it last night and I thought it was fine. I thought there were some funny moments (Hoult is very funny in it) and it was mildly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2023 7:49 AM

R33 Oh, we understood it.

by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2023 7:55 AM

I loved it. Maybe it won't hold up on repeated viewing, but it was an incredible send-up of pretentious dining.

A very mild spoiler in case anyone cares: I thought it was fascinating that Slowik calls the rich "eaters". Obviously that refers to their relationship to him, but it also evoked the term "useless eaters", which is more often used by the rich to describe the global poor. But it's those rich people in that restaurant who are useless eaters. The finance bros, in particular, only make the world worse with their existence.

by Anonymousreply 40January 8, 2023 8:23 AM

[quote]R39: Oh, we understood it.

There goes that "we" shit again.

Trolls who run a lot of socks like to speak of themselves in the plural, like they think they're a Borg collective.

by Anonymousreply 41January 8, 2023 8:33 AM

I said “we” in response to you saying “the posters” who didn’t like it didn’t understand it, Poison, that’s all. I’m not actually trying to feud with you!

by Anonymousreply 42January 8, 2023 8:38 AM

[quote]R42: I said “we” in response to you saying “the posters” who didn’t like it didn’t understand it, Poison, that’s all. I’m not actually trying to feud with you!

You still cannot claim to speak for what other posters think unless those accounts are actually you. It's quite evident that several detractors on this thread haven't seen the film. At R26, you were ridiculing a significant line from the film in order to make a personal attack on an actress's appearance, nothing deeper than that or otherwise indicative of comprehension of the film.

Having experienced endless strafing troll attacks on damn near every new film that comes out, one comes to recognize the patterns. It gets old.

by Anonymousreply 43January 8, 2023 8:57 AM

Poison, I didn’t like the movie. You did.

I did, however, watch it and understand it.

Let’s end it at that.

by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2023 9:19 AM

If you say so, R44.

But if you want to criticize the film, try to make it about something with more substance than petty shit. I'm open to that. I'm not a mindless defender of it.

by Anonymousreply 45January 8, 2023 9:36 AM

I hear you, r45. But I’m on DL for fun and to let off steam and won’t engage with critical discourse with MENU (or anything else) on a level I don’t want to because it doesn’t deserve my time; those hours watching it were enough.

All the best.

by Anonymousreply 46January 8, 2023 9:47 AM

I watched AJT in the recent "Emma" remake & she's a chilly one. Beautiful, but dead eyes and all the warmth of the corpse. That's not necessarily a bad thing and it works in some roles, but she's a very specific type

by Anonymousreply 47January 8, 2023 10:23 AM

[quote]although there are several scenes which shock or startle.

Really? I hadn't noticed though I didn't dislike it.

by Anonymousreply 48January 8, 2023 11:14 AM

I think the sous chef scene was startling.

I think that one inherent problems of a movie this is that most of the viewers will have never eaten at a restaurant with a chef’s tasting menu type set-up. So there’s no frame of reference that would cause the jokes to land or the class satire to stick.

My wife and I both really enjoyed the film, but we’ve both done tasting menus (including the ones where you don’t know what you are going to get) with wine pairings and I have a cousin who was a sous chef at Alinea. I don’t think me 30 years ago without that experience would have enjoyed the film at all.

by Anonymousreply 49January 8, 2023 11:39 AM

The sommelier was spot on, also.

by Anonymousreply 50January 8, 2023 12:02 PM

So, without having seen this movie but by reading this thread I gather that:

This film is a spoof of celebrity-chef cults, pretentiois haute cuisine, and those wealthy who partake of the above;

Fiennes plays a self-loathing chef de cuisine who seemingly would rather be a line cook;

The satire doesn't go quite as far as to be a reverse "A Modest Proposal," there being no cannibalism of the rich.

So if it isn't going to go not only not as far as "Bones and All," but not even as far as "Meat Loaf again?!" from "RHPS," what is the point, the theme, the raison d'etre if you will, of "The Menu"?

(P.S. Ralph was once the Golden Boy brilliant-actor counterpart to the saturnine Daniel Day-Lewis. Then he, Ralph, lost his hair.)

by Anonymousreply 51January 8, 2023 12:29 PM

It’s far in a different direction. Think performance art.

Totally agree R50. That was one of the little pleasures of the film.

by Anonymousreply 52January 8, 2023 12:36 PM

R51. Your assessment is accurate.

But as elderlez stated, I missed some of the references because I don't dine in very high end restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 53January 8, 2023 12:55 PM

R51 here. Meant "pretentious," of course.

by Anonymousreply 54January 8, 2023 1:03 PM

If you use a streaming device, the film is available for purchase on Fandango.

by Anonymousreply 55January 8, 2023 1:14 PM

So who is correct about moi at r51---r52 or r53?!

R52, What would be "far in a different direction"? Is it a meta-movie, mocking its own profession and not that of the ostensible subject? Is Fiennes expressing his real-life desires? Is the "thin actress" there precisely because she is her character, rather than merely portraying her character?

Is any attack on pretentiousness really being laid at the feet of cinema?

Performance art:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 8, 2023 1:16 PM

It is a matter of opinion, its not about being correct (although some opinions are better informed than others).

by Anonymousreply 57January 8, 2023 1:18 PM

IMHO

High end dining is its own form of performance art with everyone involved playing a role in the performance. And one of the common tropes is the deconstruction of a common beloved food item. And another trope is the recreation of a common beloved food item via alternate means. The Menu is the ultimate immersive concept in fine dining with the staff and the diners fully experiencing the meal. (Without cannibalism)

by Anonymousreply 58January 8, 2023 1:22 PM

It kind of reminded me of this too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 8, 2023 1:27 PM

I'm being argumentative here, now, r58, in suggesting that if there were no script, if this action of a couple hours were a one-off in a real restaurant, then wouldn't it be more of a genuine bit of performance art?

I know of which you speak, once having eaten a multi-course meal in a Michelin 3-Star restaurant in Brussels. Dots of caviar bordered one dish, I recall. Tiny shrimp comprised another. Throughout, the formally-dressed waiters (they weren't called "waitstaff" or "servers" yet) stood backs to wall, facing us to know when to present the next course. That watchfulness was a bit unnerving.

Well, I'm more intrigued to view "The Menu" now than I was when I figured it for some lame MAD magazine take on haute cuisine, so I just bought it from Amazon!

by Anonymousreply 60January 8, 2023 1:38 PM

Let us know what you think after watching R60. I don’t want to spoil it for you.

by Anonymousreply 61January 8, 2023 9:32 PM

[quote]I think the sous chef scene was startling.

Maybe I'm jaded but the minute the table cloth was laid down, I saw it a mile away.

by Anonymousreply 62January 8, 2023 10:27 PM

R49

I've only very rarely eaten a tasting menu and only very rarely experienced extremely pretentious food, such as the foam trend or the "snowfall" the movie referenced. (I don't even know if the latter is a thing or was made up for the movie.)

I still understood what was going on in the restaurant and many of the references since I pay attention to food trends and occasionally cook elaborate meals, although I don't own a Pacojet. I would think even a viewer who watches a lot of cooking shows could get it well enough to go along with it. (If I remember correctly, at one point Slowik calls someone a "donkey".)

It is geared more to wealthier and better educated audiences, but that's the case for arthouse features in general.

by Anonymousreply 63January 8, 2023 11:50 PM

[quote]R63: (If I remember correctly, at one point Slowik calls someone a "donkey".)

That would be the Leibrandts who, although having dined at Hawthorns some eleven times over the years, were unable to recall the name of a single dish they'd ever had there.

[quote]It wasn't cod, you donkey. It was halibut.

by Anonymousreply 64January 9, 2023 3:22 AM

The movie made perfect sense to me. It's the ultimate revenge fantasy for anyone who's ever worked in the food industry. There's not one outrageous thing in this movie that I've never dreamed about.

by Anonymousreply 65January 9, 2023 5:19 AM

[quote] I don't think the posters shitting on it actually watched it, or if they did, they failed to understand it.

People too stupid to understand the wit of a satire often project their own stupidity onto it. Don’t get too frustrated by it, just be glad you got it and enjoyed the fun.

ATJ is a delight. She’s extremely talented and gorgeous. Because she doesn’t look like an off-the-shelf Hollywood cupcake, she doesn’t compute to some. Again, a shame.

by Anonymousreply 66January 9, 2023 5:29 AM

Wtf? People have different tastes and interests dude. Stupid?

by Anonymousreply 67January 9, 2023 5:51 AM

What did the chef care if a wealthy patron could not recall the type of fish consumed during 1 of this patrons many visits?

Arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 68January 9, 2023 5:54 AM

Wtf and dude = point proven.

by Anonymousreply 69January 9, 2023 6:13 AM

The block function works.

by Anonymousreply 70January 9, 2023 6:14 AM

Generally, I was more interested in this discussion rather than the film until some overly emotional weirdo wandered in.

by Anonymousreply 71January 9, 2023 6:17 AM

The sous chef Jeremy was hot. Too bad he didn't last long.

by Anonymousreply 72January 9, 2023 7:05 AM

Hong Chau was fantastic in this and stole the movie for me. She’s being touted this awards season for her performance in “The Whale” (in which she was also excellent), however I would love a surprise nomination for her Elsa in “The Menu.”

“You’ve been a nuisance ever since you arrived.”

by Anonymousreply 73January 9, 2023 1:23 PM

I thought it was fantastic and one of the best films of last year. Great satire of pretentious restaurants and foodie culture.

by Anonymousreply 74January 9, 2023 2:42 PM

Was the fact that none of the food actually looked appetizing a plot point?

by Anonymousreply 75January 9, 2023 4:43 PM

NO BREAD FOR YOU!

by Anonymousreply 76January 9, 2023 4:44 PM

Noma is closing next year. Have any of you ever been? (I have not)

by Anonymousreply 77January 9, 2023 4:47 PM

The scallop actually looked delicious to me, R75.

by Anonymousreply 78January 9, 2023 5:32 PM

I have been to Noma twice in the new space, and once in the old space (where Barr now is). Not one of my favorite restaurants. In Copenhagen I have had a better time/meal at Alchemist and Jordnaer. The last time I was at Noma (last year for the Ocean menu) I noticed that the place was full of Bros like the investors in the "Menu."

by Anonymousreply 79January 10, 2023 7:20 AM

Thanks R79

by Anonymousreply 80January 10, 2023 9:44 AM

Where is Noma?

by Anonymousreply 81January 10, 2023 1:41 PM

Copenhagen R81.

by Anonymousreply 82January 10, 2023 1:50 PM

Same, R36. Still wondering about it days later, so it's a thumbs up from me. It's been a while since I've seen anything that wasn't immediately forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 83January 10, 2023 1:59 PM

R73 "It's TOR TEEE YAAA"

by Anonymousreply 84January 10, 2023 2:07 PM

Holy crap. And here I thought the inspiration for Ralph Fiennes' character was the vapid, overrated Jean-Georges.

by Anonymousreply 85January 10, 2023 4:27 PM

Highly enjoyable for me. Whatever predictable plot points there were, some expert direction and very skillful acting made it a joy.

by Anonymousreply 86January 10, 2023 4:38 PM

R78

I also thought The Mess looked good.

by Anonymousreply 87January 11, 2023 1:32 AM

Judith Light, also very good. An excellent actor.

by Anonymousreply 88January 11, 2023 2:03 AM

it seemed like a stage play adapted to the screen due to the cheap feeling of the sets. overall a disappointment, i’m glad i didn’t pay to see it in the theatres. too many characters that weren’t drawn out.

by Anonymousreply 89January 11, 2023 5:48 PM

Poor writing. No capitalization, R89.

by Anonymousreply 90January 11, 2023 7:52 PM

Well, severed fingers seem to be a current motif!

by Anonymousreply 91January 16, 2023 3:58 PM

Nicholas Houllt is a very boring performer. Not sure why he is getting cast in anything, but all the young actors seen bad to me including Timothee (except CMBYN).

It was okay. Like Glass Onion, it’s another “punish the rich” film.

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2023 4:07 PM

“Triangle of Sadness” was another punish the rich film.

by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2023 4:11 PM

Not finished yet, but I think now it is the tone not of Swift but of Pope in "An Essay on Criticism," specifically Lines 9-12:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2023 4:33 PM

As far as satire goes, I think it was better than anything Jordan Peele has done.

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2023 6:13 PM

R60 back, with more to say than you can imagine. I'll put that last part in another post.

~~~So, the movie. As I noted, it seems "An Essay on Criticism" served with a side of "A Modest Proposal" but minus the condiment of cannibalism (irony!) so trendy today [Note: I thought for sure that the cheeseburger was one of the deceased, most likely the murderous "maitresse d'."], all encased, like a cinematic Boeuf en Croute, in "Ten Little Indians" with the pitiableness in "The Whale," the showmanship in "Elvis," and the feckin' comity-turned-enmity in "The Banshees of Inisherin," complete with the isolated island of Inisherin, "Lord of the Flies," and "The Most Dangerous Game."

And that's my multi-course Tasting Review! 😉 🍽 🍷

~~~I wish, though, that Chef's reasons for all the invitations had been revealed. I mean, the restaurant reviewer and the pretentious foodie are obvious, and Chef was ticked he wasted his day off on the actor's lousy movie (wait; did Chef just reveal himself to be a....bad critic?! Because didn't he later mock himself for it with his fake "Coast Guard" who "loved" the movie?).

That is to say, we learn that "Margot"/Erin is a prostitute with whom Chef feels Working-Class affinity [Movie Error? If Margot's presence was unplanned, then why establish a "personal business" connection between her and 9-Finger Richard?], but why was the Foodie's initial date invited to be killed? Were the three obnoxious Wall Street (?) bros condemned because of their financial shenanigans?

~~~The...Menu. It is a legit example of a 3️⃣✴ restaurant's menu degustation, except for the finale!

~~~S'mores. I've never partaken of other than "deconstructed," haha! But though that penultimate scene is brilliant and rousing in a sick "burning the heretics" kind of way, why S'mores? Was everyone there a former Girl Scout?! Seriously, as a final image of everything wrong with OTC "industrial" food products according to Chef, as well as (what the screenwriter viewed as) the quintessential edible from innocent childhood corrupted, wherefore art thou, S'mores?

~~~The Cast. //Ralph 🤪 👨‍🍳 was superb. He does "on and over the brink of madness" maybe better than any others. //Anya 👱‍♀️ 🚬 was impossibly big-eyed, straight off a Margaret Keane canvas [Note: "Big Eyes" is a tour de force for Christopher Waltz and Amy Adams.], which makes the contrast between her innocent face and how she gets paid for it here so striking. //Nicholas Hoult 😋 🍖 (the new James Marsden) was perfectly insufferable as the obsequious Foodie. //I thought Judith Light 👸 should have played the Restaurant Reviewer; she does trenchant well. //Have always loved John Leguizamo 😎 (saw his first one-man Broadway show); he never disappoints [I should name him in the "Actors You Will Always Watch" thread!].

Symbolism:

~~~Fire. 🔥 Transforming, purifying, consuming.

~~~Water. 💧 Vivifying, purifying, swallowing.

~~~Earth. 🌍 Nurturing, harrowing, decaying.

by Anonymousreply 96January 16, 2023 6:36 PM

Have you considered a writing course for beginners?

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2023 6:40 PM

R96/r60 here, The Personal Connections:

1.) I held my last dinner party here on November 5, 2019. Since then I've invited no-one, for, as with Chef, "I haven't desired to cook for someone in ages, and one does miss that feeling." I've said this to myself almost verbatim. The thrill is gone.

2.) Chef's mother's story. As a teen I once returned home from a happy swimming day to find my drunk father lying down, after having smashed a china cabinet and hit my mother. I took not kitchen scissors but a knife to stab him, but unlike Lady Macbeth who forwent only because King Duncan merely resembled her father, I stopped short because he WAS my father.

TMI? Sorry, but the movie's tale hit home. (My mother, to her credit, did not turn to drink.)

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2023 6:47 PM

Excellent review R96.

As for s’mores, I’ve found IRL with the classic campground preparation there’s always an element of danger and being burned that was fitting.

by Anonymousreply 99January 16, 2023 6:56 PM

Anyone notice Taylor-Joy is starting to resemble the characters in Avatar?

by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2023 6:58 PM

I watched it on streaming . I’d be pissed if I’d gone to the movie theatre to see that shit

by Anonymousreply 101January 16, 2023 7:00 PM

I was certainly entertained, but inconsistently so. Many of the set pieces did not quite land as expected; the ending was an incoherent mess.

By no means was this an “excellent” film.

by Anonymousreply 102January 16, 2023 7:03 PM

The “guests” (apart from ATJ) were like lambs to the slaughter and incapable of defending themselves, which I suppose was part of the point.

by Anonymousreply 103January 16, 2023 7:06 PM

Some of you haters of this film have never spent decades in the service industry and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 104January 16, 2023 7:10 PM

No, r97. Have you considered "Stand-Up Comedy For Dummies"?

by Anonymousreply 105January 16, 2023 7:15 PM

[Quote] Some of you haters of this film have never spent decades in the service industry and it shows.

Why would anyone want to do that?

by Anonymousreply 106January 16, 2023 7:18 PM

The course in which they all go outside and Chef is accused of sexual harassment is a mess. And the men all given the chance to escape makes it even more incoherent.

by Anonymousreply 107January 16, 2023 11:16 PM

It's a metaphor for men being able to quit the food industry at any time, but being unable to because of power.

by Anonymousreply 108January 17, 2023 1:00 AM

I'll watch this just because Nic Hoult is too adorable.

by Anonymousreply 109January 17, 2023 1:03 AM

And a lousy fucking actor.

by Anonymousreply 110January 17, 2023 1:08 AM

Spoiler question:

I never really got Nicholas Hoult’s character and behavior. Just an uninformed foodie Whore writ large?

by Anonymousreply 111January 17, 2023 1:18 AM

His character is just a fanboi with a small functioning brain, r111

by Anonymousreply 112January 17, 2023 2:34 AM

Yes, I think so, r111. Then shamed in his pretentiousness.

by Anonymousreply 113January 17, 2023 3:09 AM

[quote] It's a metaphor for men being able to quit the food industry at any time, but being unable to because of power.

Oh for fuck’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 114January 17, 2023 12:37 PM

Anya Taylor-Joy’s face is so bizarre it’s distracting. Every time the camera cuts to her, it’s like going from a normal live-action film to Avatar minus the blue skin.

by Anonymousreply 115January 17, 2023 2:26 PM

I love her weird alien face. At least she's not another basic bitch.

by Anonymousreply 116January 17, 2023 7:44 PM

Wide set eyes are a unique beauty trait. But this girl stopped eating food a few years ago and has starved her good looks away.

by Anonymousreply 117January 17, 2023 7:46 PM

[quote]R111: I never really got Nicholas Hoult’s character and behavior.

Earlier, what I wanted to say about Hoult's character but couldn't (R23), was that as terrible a monster as Chef is, Tyler is worse.

by Anonymousreply 118January 18, 2023 1:47 AM

Available for rent on utube, 4 bucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 18, 2023 7:47 AM

I watched this and I don't even remember what happened at the end. I remember lots of killing, but not how it ended.

That was an hour & 15 minutes I'll never get back from my life.

by Anonymousreply 120January 18, 2023 7:58 AM

R120, You'd better get an MRI and a CT scan if you forget THAT ending! 🔥 😱

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 18, 2023 9:45 AM

R119, it's free on some streaming service. Netflix? HBO Max? Can't remember. Not worth paying for.

by Anonymousreply 122January 18, 2023 7:41 PM

R45 Where do you get off telling someone how they should criticize a film, you pompous twat? Then you have the gall to take your stubby, webbed fingers and post what YOU think is wrong with THEIR opinions.

GTFOH

by Anonymousreply 123January 18, 2023 8:07 PM

▲ The trolling persists.

by Anonymousreply 124January 18, 2023 9:26 PM

Nah. Reacting to your bullying doesn't make me a troll, sorry Mary Martyr.

by Anonymousreply 125January 19, 2023 12:21 PM

[quote]R125: Nah. Reacting to your bullying doesn't make me a troll, sorry Mary Martyr.

No, babe - that would be 𝑦𝑜𝑢, crying that you've been bullied. Look, it's not too much to ask that you actually 𝑤𝑎𝑡𝑐ℎ a film before strafing the thread with posts attacking it.

And you've failed here. The preponderance of DL responses on this thread 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 the film. No potatoes for you.

I actually thought it was funny that you were so timid at R123 that you used a near-virgin sock (no history to speak of) to reply to me. Socking and shitposting are what makes you a troll.

by Anonymousreply 126January 19, 2023 12:35 PM

Like someone mentioned above, it was written like a play. I enjoyed it, and I hate plays.

(I fell asleep at The Seagull)

by Anonymousreply 127January 22, 2023 8:22 PM

R126 You really are a pretentious cunt. In every thread you join.

by Anonymousreply 128January 22, 2023 8:50 PM

[quote] The preponderance of DL responses on this thread 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 the film.

Bitch, you ARE the preponderance of responses on this thread.

I am not the poster you are talking to, but I’M telling you, this moving was far from the masterpiece you’re claiming it is. It was barely entertaining.

You are also extremely annoying and pretentious. Do you act like this in real life? If so, I guarantee that you are the exhausting person anyone in your sphere knows.

by Anonymousreply 129January 23, 2023 12:15 AM

[quote]R129: Bitch, you ARE the preponderance of responses on this thread.

Nope. Only the ones signed 'PoisonedDragon.' There's not that many posts.

[quote]I am not the poster you are talking to...

You're a sock of the poster that takes issue with me, just like R128. No matter how many socks you send at me, what you all have in common is the complete inability to brush aside my opinion and get on with your life. It's never really about the film in question. You're pursuing a personal grudge from thread to thread. You have a very limited vocabulary of insults; "pretentious" is one to which you too often repair.

If I was really as terrible as you claim, one would think you'd put me on ignore. But none of the socks you run ever do. Since I'm so exhausting, you must always be way too tuckered out from reading me to ever do it. ;)

by Anonymousreply 130January 23, 2023 12:53 AM

R130 Sock puppets?

by Anonymousreply 131January 23, 2023 1:05 AM

[quote]You're a sock of the poster that takes issue with me

Honey, you are paranoid and deluded. I assure you that I am not the only person here who thinks you are a pseudo-intellectual blowhard. I guarantee it.

by Anonymousreply 132January 23, 2023 1:52 AM

I watched it this morning and generally enjoyed it. I agree with R89. I could totally see this being done as a play, well with the exception of the ending to some extent (not sure how they could pull that off on stage), since it mostly all takes place in the main dining room of the restaurant.

I kind of dragged my feet on this initially because the movie poster looked too corny imo, and I was almost certain this was going to have some predictable "surprise" about cannibalism (it doesn't, thankfully).

Without being too spoilery, the guests "outfits" at the end were quite funny. Some people have referred to this as a horror flick, but I would say it falls more under dark satire/dark comedy thriller for me.

by Anonymousreply 133January 29, 2023 2:38 PM

...oh and if you've ever seen the move Cheap Thrills (which is fantastic btw), there is once scene in particular that definitely reminded me of it - it's practically verbatim from it.

by Anonymousreply 134January 29, 2023 2:39 PM

The movie is readily available, so it's beyond worrying about "spoilers."

by Anonymousreply 135January 31, 2023 1:53 AM

There’s a restaurant by me that is doing a “The Menu” theme dinner tonight. The FB comments on the menu are interesting.

by Anonymousreply 136February 1, 2023 9:45 PM

hmmm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 1, 2023 9:52 PM

So jealous, ElderLez! I would go to that in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 138February 1, 2023 9:53 PM

I’m jealous of the people going as well! I just saw the notification about it and I am stuffed from going out to lunch today so wouldn’t be up to going even if it wasn’t a fasting day for my wife.

by Anonymousreply 139February 1, 2023 9:58 PM

I mean...it was pretty predictable and a complete WASTE of Judith Light who should've been the food reviewer instead of the cheated-on wife. It was okay. Anna-Taylor Joy had A LOT of fucking hair and a tiny face. I laughed once--at the student loan, Brown comment.

by Anonymousreply 140February 2, 2023 10:31 AM

ATJ joins Demi Moore as the premier poster children for why not to have buccal fat removal.

by Anonymousreply 141February 2, 2023 11:11 AM

[Digression, and an annoying one at that, but...r141, it seems to me that Austin Butler has had that procedure, when one compares youth to now.]

by Anonymousreply 142February 2, 2023 3:03 PM

That was the one time I laughed too, r140!

by Anonymousreply 143February 2, 2023 4:53 PM

Where's the "Did we NEED this movie?" troll, I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 144February 3, 2023 10:10 AM

R144 We REALLY didn't tho.

by Anonymousreply 145February 3, 2023 10:41 AM

R145, With the exception of "Judgment at Nuremberg," it's doubtful we needed any movie, if that's the criterion for art.

by Anonymousreply 146February 3, 2023 10:03 PM

Late to the party, but happy to have seen it. Very funny exploration of cults and how they self-destruct.

Even Redzepi has distanced himself from the cult worship he once fostered by closing Noma, calling it unsustainable, and is now weathering the fallout from his exploitative operation.

by Anonymousreply 147February 23, 2023 1:07 PM

I may have said this already, but I've worked in fine dining as a chef and I don't think this film accurately reflects how we feel about what we do or how we interact with our clientele.

The weird psychopath kid who is obsessed with the minutia of kitchens would be friends with all of the cooks in real life. It's not common, but there are fans who don't cook but love gourmet food. They're perfectly welcome. The Packet joke was great though.

Forcing him to cook is also not the right punishment for him- they should have punished him in some way for bringing the hooker with him. Not for autistically loving food.

THE RESTAURANT CRITIC should have been forced to cook! That is exactly what they deserve 😈 I would have been laughing my ass off.

by Anonymousreply 148February 23, 2023 1:54 PM

Pacojet*

Also, I think the psycho kid only makes sense in relation to Hollywood. He's an insane Marvel or Star Wars fan.

by Anonymousreply 149February 23, 2023 1:55 PM

Very late to this, but just watched it this weekend. In addition to the movies mentioned, the themes kind of reminded me of an old Vincent Price horror flick called "Theatre of Blood."

I thought it was mildly entertaining, particularly once the men are on the run & the women are inside, slugging down wine & trying to talk to the sous chef, only to realize that this whole performance was her idea. When she's looking at the old pictures & the you see the shot of young beautiful Ralph (harkening back to his best performance, Schindler's List), it made me think of "back when he was a famous chef at a concentration camp!"

by Anonymousreply 150April 3, 2023 10:58 AM

I love Taylor-Joy's face! She looks like an alien.

by Anonymousreply 151April 3, 2023 11:06 AM

Question: when the Hoult character confesses that he knew they'd be killed so he brought the AJT/a prostitute with him, why did he know what was happening & the others didn't? Is it because he's a fanboi & wanted to die along side his idol?

by Anonymousreply 152April 3, 2023 11:09 AM

Reminded me a bit of this film..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 3, 2023 12:37 PM

Stream if free here..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 3, 2023 12:38 PM

I finally watched this and is a very entertaining movie. That said, the message is completely convoluted, all over the place. There is no deep serious meaning, though that is ok. It works as a A horror movie.

Another failure is that you can’t suspend disbelief. Why would some kitchen help accept this. The movie doesn’t explain and Fiennes has no sufficient charisma to pull it through.

The death of Nicholas Hoult is a mystery (to me). As with the kitchen staff, why would he accept this.

But, as said, very mindless enjoyment and better than Glass Onion which was terrible overall. Judith Light was great giving a much needed humanity. The end was truly gruesome.

by Anonymousreply 155April 25, 2023 3:08 AM

The cult of the Foodies?

by Anonymousreply 156April 25, 2023 2:20 PM

I could see Judith Light playing the Janet McTeer character.

by Anonymousreply 157April 25, 2023 3:40 PM

WaPo article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 30, 2023 8:35 PM

I watched this movie last night, regrettably. I can see a person pitching the story idea and saying the only problem is that he hadn't figured out how to end it. Eventually the producers and writer just agreed to go without an ending and meaninglessly kill almost every one to at least have the appearance of an ending. On the other hand, maybe the movie is intentionally playing with the audience the same as the chef did with the patrons when he did not serve them bread. Instead of no bread, we get no real ending and only the accompaniments.

by Anonymousreply 159September 30, 2023 8:48 PM

My thoughts exactly, OP.

by Anonymousreply 160September 30, 2023 8:59 PM

I wish Hoult's ass was on the menu. Just laid out over the table

by Anonymousreply 161September 30, 2023 9:23 PM

Waste of time, I can’t believe these actors accepted this.

by Anonymousreply 162October 1, 2023 12:40 AM

I thought it was so good

by Anonymousreply 163October 1, 2023 2:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!