Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Maurice (1987)

Let's discuss the film, Maurice. The film follows two prep school boys who fall madly in love with each other during the Edwardian era.

Directed by James Ivory

Produced by Ismail Merchant

Based on the novel by E.M. Forster

Written by James Ivory and Kit Hesketh-Harvey

Featuring the music of Gregorio Allegri, Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Johann Brahms, and Johann Bach. Arranged by Richard Robbins.

Starring James Wilby, Hugh Grant, Rupert Graves, Denholm Elliott, Billie Whitelaw, Simon Callow, Judy Parfitt, Barry Foster, Phoebe Nicholls, Patrick Godfrey, Julian Wadham, and BEN KINGSLEY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 8, 2023 3:24 AM

Love the novel, love the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2023 8:06 PM

Please don't say maw-REES.

by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2023 8:54 PM

Say Morris.

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2023 8:58 PM

Why is it pronounced different?

by Anonymousreply 4January 2, 2023 9:16 PM

It isn't. "Morris" is the proper way to pronounce "Maurice." But language changes over time and I think many people - more nowadays - use a literal translation of the letters in the name.

by Anonymousreply 5January 2, 2023 9:26 PM

MA-Ric is the French way. Morris is the English way, correct?

by Anonymousreply 6January 2, 2023 9:36 PM

MoREES is the French way. Morris is the English way. I'm half-French and suffer the indignity of having Maurice as one of my middle names.

by Anonymousreply 7January 2, 2023 9:41 PM

Love it

by Anonymousreply 8January 2, 2023 9:42 PM

Say however the fuck you want.

by Anonymousreply 9January 2, 2023 9:50 PM

Great hair styles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 2, 2023 9:54 PM

Floppy hair is always in style.

by Anonymousreply 11January 2, 2023 9:59 PM

I haven't seen the film in at least 10 years, but I recall thinking it was a good, not great M&I film. I remember feeling like the editing felt 'off' -- often quite disjointed. It felt second-tier to films like Remains of the Day, Howard's End and Room With a View. But, still, hats off to Hugh and Co for embracing the subject matter. I know this was before Hugh was a massive international movie star, but, still, it reflects well on him.

MINOR SPOILER AHEAD....

The very end of the film in which Hugh and his wife are in their bedroom and he's looking out onto the garden and seeing a vision of Maurice appear in his mind's eye as Richard Robbins' beautiful, yearning 'Clive & Ann' music is playing was a beautiful ending. You can see it from about 5:15 onward here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 2, 2023 10:10 PM

Say it in BROKEN ENGLISH!

by Anonymousreply 13January 2, 2023 10:11 PM

2018: James Wilby and Hugh Grant reminisce about Maurice and speak quite fondly and proudly of the experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2023 10:14 PM

I cry at this movie.

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2023 10:15 PM

More seriously...'Maurice' is arguably the most underrated of the Ivory/Merchant productions.

And none of the gay characters dies at the end. There is jail and a suicide, though.

And a beautiful scene at the end when Maurice has found love, and Clive closes the bedroom shutter, closing off his life with Maurice and what is probably his true nature, while his unconsidered wife looks on listlessly.

Go...

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2023 10:15 PM

When it was first released went to see it with my then high school " girlfriend" . When the boat house scene came up I lost it. Had to pretend to be choking on popcorn and fled to the lobby. It was a favorite film of my late partner's and he would always hand me the tissues when I started to sob. "We shan't never be parted!" and weren't for 24 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2023 10:20 PM

Still I think Samuel West as Leonard Bast in Howard's End is heartbreaking while all the characters in Maurice remain a bit clipped.

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2023 10:21 PM

It's pronounced Maury.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2023 10:22 PM

R18

You can only compare Scudder with Leonard Best. The rest of the characters in 'Maurice' were a different class, and that could account for what you sense as clipped.

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2023 10:26 PM

We did this movie last year.

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2023 10:26 PM

Before I get an "Oh, dear!", the response above should read "none...die" not "none...dies."

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 22January 2, 2023 10:31 PM

I fell in love with Rupert Graves watching this film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 2, 2023 10:39 PM

Yeah, it's "Morris".

A great film.

by Anonymousreply 24January 2, 2023 10:40 PM

Very great.

by Anonymousreply 25January 2, 2023 10:42 PM

OP, they're undergraduates at Cambridge, not pupils at prep school (which in the UK, ends at around age 11).

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote] while all the characters in Maurice remain a bit clipped.

Wot about Scoo'ers?

He could barely speak the English language without GLOTTAL STOPS on every second word.

by Anonymousreply 27January 2, 2023 10:47 PM

Who DIDN'T fall in love with Rupert Graves watching this film?

Much preferred him over Hugh and James and sad that he never really became a leading man of the British cinema. Or even the BBC.

by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2023 10:47 PM

R28, I fell in love with Judy Parfitt in this....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 2, 2023 10:55 PM

R12

Thank you for posting that beautiful scene. Apologies - I hadn't seen your post before I posted my comment about that same scene.

Great minds and all that.

by Anonymousreply 30January 2, 2023 11:07 PM

r30 - quite alright. You did a far better job of describing the scene than I did anyway.

by Anonymousreply 31January 2, 2023 11:16 PM

I must watch this again. I haven't watched it for 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 32January 2, 2023 11:18 PM

R32 you can purchase the Blu Ray or watch on Kanopy.

by Anonymousreply 33January 2, 2023 11:19 PM

Thanks and good to know R33. Someone gave me the DVD for a gift several years ago so I will go dig it out. It still has the plastic wrap on it. Will watch it today.

by Anonymousreply 34January 2, 2023 11:27 PM

R34 Please do. Nothing like a glass of wine and a Merchant-Ivory film

by Anonymousreply 35January 2, 2023 11:28 PM

I saw this on the A&E network, when it was a highfalutin' culture channel and I was 13.

Oh my God, I thought it was the most romantic thing I would ever see in my life.

When Rupert Graves got out of bed nude, I almost spontaneously ejaculated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 2, 2023 11:30 PM

I need to see this again. I saw it when I was young and in the closet—was so afraid to be found out that couldn’t enjoy it

by Anonymousreply 37January 2, 2023 11:50 PM

Saw it for the first time when I was 13. Probably not exaggerating to say it changed my life

by Anonymousreply 38January 3, 2023 12:49 AM

I fell in love with Rupert Graves already in "A Room with a View" with that amazing hair flopping around. "Maurice" is probably my favorite film of all time - definitely my desert island movie.

by Anonymousreply 39January 3, 2023 1:17 AM

Denholm Elliott was bisexual and died of AIDS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 3, 2023 1:19 AM

I didn't know that R40.

by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2023 1:41 AM

R41 sarcasm or serious?

by Anonymousreply 42January 3, 2023 1:54 AM

I saw it when it first came out. I was maybe 19? I finally understood why people thought movies could be romantic. I had shoulder length hair at the time. Immediately got a floppy Maurice haircut, from my first real boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 43January 3, 2023 1:56 AM

R39. Don't forget Rupert's flopping dick in the skinny dipping scene.

by Anonymousreply 44January 3, 2023 2:09 AM

As a deeply in-the-closet teenage gayling with conservative parents in the homophobic 80’s, Maurice opened a whole new world to me and gave me hope. I haven’t watched it now for a few decades, but I will be forever grateful to M&I (and EM Forster) for the life changing experience.

by Anonymousreply 45January 3, 2023 6:38 AM

DL fav Miss Nicolas Fairford would be fabulous in 'Maurice' He has the perfect foppish look.

by Anonymousreply 46January 3, 2023 7:02 AM

The passion between Maurice and Scudder is undeniable… Absolutely gorgeous movie…It’s apart of my collection 👍

by Anonymousreply 47January 3, 2023 7:17 AM

R46 Nicolas would have to play a working class lad, which is what he is. Not a fop. He's a poor fake fop. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 48January 3, 2023 7:22 AM

It has been on Tubi for a while now.

by Anonymousreply 49January 3, 2023 11:04 AM

I was so in love with Rupert Graves, on my first trip to London in the late 1990s, I went to see him in a West End revival of the David Rabe play Hurly Burly. Playing a skeezy heterosexual, he didn't do it for me at all (no floppy hair!) and the entire production was just awful. I remember seeing Ian McKellan in the audience after the show chatting up his young companion about "whatever will we ever say to dear Rupert?" afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 50January 3, 2023 12:58 PM

It will become a classic because it is so ageless. Could have been made yesterday. A beautiful movie that captures a love story perfectly in its time to inform and entertain. Cannot ask much more of a film.

Merchant and Ivory’s films are all very much like this. Great filmmakers.

by Anonymousreply 51January 3, 2023 1:15 PM

Hugh Grant was gorgeous back then.

I loved the movie and found it heartbreaking. I even bought it on DVD. However, I find I can rarely rewatch it. I think I've seen it twice since the first time I watched it.

by Anonymousreply 52January 3, 2023 1:18 PM

[quote] It has been on Tubi for a while now.

Is it anywhere without 400 commercials?

by Anonymousreply 53January 3, 2023 3:11 PM

R53 Kanopy. Get a public library card and you can log in with Kanopy. They have a ton of stuff

by Anonymousreply 54January 3, 2023 7:52 PM

If you liked the movie, you should absolutely read the book. It's written so beautifully and so many profound things are expressed that just cannot be translated well into moving pictures. I love the movie, but the book adds another dimension. One of my favourite scenes is when Scudder complains that his boss (the old lady) didn't even remember his name, despite him standing there every day. He is truly invisible to her, reduced to a function.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 3, 2023 8:19 PM

Hugh Grant looked unbelievably beautiful in this film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 3, 2023 8:22 PM

Truculently Pretty Oxford Party Boy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 3, 2023 8:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 3, 2023 8:34 PM

This one captures his weird eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 3, 2023 8:36 PM

R57 There's another of those Oxford party pictures in his bio where a fellow student is wearing a cute little g-string,

by Anonymousreply 60January 3, 2023 8:41 PM

The link at R55 was Spanish, but it costs about 2 USD for Kindle or as an e-book.

by Anonymousreply 61January 3, 2023 8:52 PM

WAtch it here and ignore the subtitles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 3, 2023 9:04 PM

[quote] It has been on Tubi for a while now.

I loathe the name of this site so much I avoid watching movies on it.

by Anonymousreply 63January 4, 2023 2:54 PM

I watched it on Amazon Prime a year or so ago.

by Anonymousreply 64January 4, 2023 3:13 PM

I don’t think James Wilby was the first choice for the lead. He was originally cast in a supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 65January 8, 2023 2:47 AM

Julian Sands, who had played the male lead in Merchant Ivory's A Room with a View, was originally cast in the title role, but backed out at the last minute.

James Wilby had auditioned for the role of Clive Durham's brother-in-law. When Sands left the project, Ivory considered two unknown actors for the role of Maurice: James Wilby and Julian Wadham. Since he had already cast the dark-haired Hugh Grant as Clive, Ivory decided on the blond James Wilby over the dark-haired Julian Wadham, who was given a role as one of Maurice's stockbroker friends.

by Anonymousreply 66January 8, 2023 2:55 AM

Julian Sands was the first choice

by Anonymousreply 67January 8, 2023 2:56 AM

^ Sands would have been too sharp and intense.

The character of the vague, fumbling Maurice was more suited to the prettier Wilby.

by Anonymousreply 68January 8, 2023 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!