Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone Watching the CNN Documentary about Dionne Warwick?

It focuses only on the high points of her career, no mention of the scattershot albums after her departure from the Bacharach/David duo. And what about the money that she took out of her AIDS charity? And that ogre Cissy Houston was interviewed as well. Why did I expect something more than a whitewashed puff piece?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258March 17, 2023 9:09 PM

Did it touch on her love affairs with Gianni Russo and Sacha Distel?

by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2023 2:38 AM

Haven’t seen it from the beginning, OP, but why isn’t she in the Rock and Roll HOF and Dolly Parton is? I love Dolly btw. And Snoop Dog, wtf?

by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2023 2:41 AM

People were paid to speak about her in glowing terms.

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2023 2:45 AM

I thought Dionne and Cissy didn’t get along. Cissy can be such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4January 2, 2023 2:50 AM

Total puff piece. I hope someone does a real documentary about her someday. Probably after she’s dead since she’s very scary.

by Anonymousreply 5January 2, 2023 2:59 AM

I met Dionne years ago. I was surprised at how short she is in person. I expected her to be tall. She was chatty, unpretentious and not a diva. I was no one important, but she was polite and accessible. There was nothing scary about her. Now when it comes to performing maybe she is a Diva and she's demanding, but I never saw it.

by Anonymousreply 6January 2, 2023 3:06 AM

They're trying to make Dionne into some kind of activist when she wasn't. There were/are activists who did a lot more. This was definitely a puff piece. And of course Whitney and Cissy featured. Not very much on Dionne's sister.

by Anonymousreply 7January 2, 2023 3:34 AM

I got your numbers hussies!

by Anonymousreply 8January 2, 2023 3:48 AM

On Celebrity Apprentice all the women were afraid of her. Maybe the editing made her seem scary and she isn’t. I wouldn’t mess with her though.

by Anonymousreply 9January 2, 2023 3:57 AM

Bitch wouldn’t even pay her damn taxes.

by Anonymousreply 10January 2, 2023 4:26 AM

[R6] If I'd known they'd ever make a documentary about that 2nd-rate, squeaky-voiced, bucktooth Jersey hoodrat, I'd have stayed alive for a few more years.

I've got some tales to tell, believe me!

by Anonymousreply 11January 2, 2023 4:40 AM

It was a good doc.

by Anonymousreply 12January 2, 2023 4:51 AM

Any mention of Carpenters? I know Richard and Warwick were close at one time (she even recorded a song on his 1987 solo album), but they seem to have had a falling out.

by Anonymousreply 13January 2, 2023 7:26 AM

I' sorry I missed this.

I'm having a colon cancer screening today and I was on the can all last night with the shits.

Perhaps some other time when my system can tolerate it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2023 12:29 PM

Don't know much about her and didn't learn much from show. But listening to the music was fantastic. I now have a new appreciation for the Barry Gibb produced "Heartbreaker."

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2023 1:21 PM

This is news? When did CNN turn into A&E?

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2023 1:28 PM

R15 I played the HEARTBREAKER cassette to death in the Navy. My shipmates called me Dionne. 😆

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2023 1:31 PM

They didn’t even MENTION Theme From The Valley Of The Dolls! I mean, WTF?

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2023 1:38 PM

Well, the photo used in the OP's link makes her look like Rev. Jim Jones, though the title 'Don't Make Me Over' should have clued viewers in that it wasn't going to be a vinegar valentine.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2023 1:47 PM

I guess it’s best to admire your heroes from a distance.

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2023 1:57 PM

Anyone know her relationship with Whitney? Did they get along?

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2023 2:53 PM

Was a whitewashing? Absolutely.

Did Dionne's industrial-strength crazy come through? Faintly, but enough to be clear.

That voice though.

by Anonymousreply 22January 2, 2023 2:58 PM

R21, I read somewhere a few years ago that Dionne's sister is a lesbian. I don't think anyone ever "got along" with Cissy for any extended period. She was always picking fights, finding offense, and generally difficult. As she got older and saw Whitney and Dionne become who they were, she was bitter because she always felt she should have been a bigger star. Definitely a diva who was jealous of her own daughter, and went for months and months not speaking to people. Vicious too.

by Anonymousreply 23January 2, 2023 3:03 PM

Do they discuss the Psychic Friends Network?

by Anonymousreply 24January 2, 2023 3:07 PM

What do you hope people will gain from the “Don’t Make Me Over” documentary?

I’m hoping that people will finally get to know me, and not think they know me. They’ll get to know Dionne. I’m as human as everybody else.

by Anonymousreply 25January 2, 2023 3:10 PM

R24 Dionne says in a NYT interview:

It was during a period of time when my recordings were not being played on radio as much. It was a way to earn a very, very comfortable living. It paid very well — had to keep my lights on, too. So that’s how that all began. I can’t nor would I ever think about taking it seriously. And anybody that does, you have to look at them with a jaundiced eye.

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2023 3:12 PM

[quote]People were paid to speak about her in glowing terms.

Dionne did the same for a cushy while-she-was-alive documentary of Dusty Springfield that didn't mention LOTS of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 27January 2, 2023 3:21 PM

R19 Dionne is no longer feminine looking. For the past several years she looks like Redd Fox (Fred Sanford).

by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2023 3:30 PM

Should have tried to get another Vegas residency. Psychic Friends ruined her brand and reputation.

by Anonymousreply 29January 2, 2023 4:06 PM

Her brand was cunt

by Anonymousreply 30January 2, 2023 5:48 PM

Her upper row of teeth in the beginning of her career were terrible…they were practically vertical coming out of her mouth!

by Anonymousreply 31January 2, 2023 6:10 PM

Dionne's older lesbian sister repeatedly molested and raped Whitney and her brother.

Very sad

by Anonymousreply 32January 2, 2023 6:22 PM

First time I ever saw her I thought she was a female impersonator with a fantastic voice.

by Anonymousreply 33January 2, 2023 6:22 PM

True, r23. Cissy has always been a nasty piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 34January 2, 2023 6:46 PM

Psychic Friends was a debacle, she must have been dead-ass broke to agree to do that garbage.

by Anonymousreply 35January 2, 2023 6:47 PM

The other two members of The Sweet Inspirations did not have nice words for Cissy either.

by Anonymousreply 36January 2, 2023 6:55 PM

Cissy is quite homophobic too, which is why Whitney couldn't truly be herself and live in her truth as a lesbian.

She may have birth to Whitney and trained her to be the greatest vocalist of my lifetime, but her reputation as a mean bitch is well-reported.

by Anonymousreply 37January 2, 2023 7:57 PM

I can look at Cissy’s face and tell she’s a cunt, well before she lost her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 38January 2, 2023 8:00 PM

It was a bigger whitewash than Michael Jackson’s face.

by Anonymousreply 39January 2, 2023 8:05 PM

Lots of Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder commentary, but nothing from Miss Ross.

by Anonymousreply 40January 2, 2023 8:06 PM

[quote]Her upper row of teeth in the beginning of her career were terrible

What you see now is a very white removable plate.

by Anonymousreply 41January 2, 2023 9:39 PM

Anyone Who Has a Heart is a good song.

by Anonymousreply 42January 2, 2023 9:54 PM

There were several remarkable songs. Alfie is a favorite of mine. It actually makes me tear up. Make it Easy On Yourself. Message to Michael.

by Anonymousreply 43January 2, 2023 10:17 PM

People rarely mention this one, but I love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 2, 2023 10:20 PM

You're Gonna Need Me should've been a big hit. One of her best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 2, 2023 11:23 PM

What a shit album cover r45

by Anonymousreply 46January 2, 2023 11:32 PM

I bet she’ll be nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame soon. Once there’s a reminding with a documentary, everyone suddenly recalls.

by Anonymousreply 47January 2, 2023 11:57 PM

Alfie had stupid lyrics

by Anonymousreply 48January 2, 2023 11:58 PM

Filthy troll at R48.

by Anonymousreply 49January 3, 2023 12:04 AM

Another triumph!

Hear that, Re?

Oh, that's right. You're dead, baby!

by Anonymousreply 50January 3, 2023 12:10 AM

R47 she was nominated last year and rejected

by Anonymousreply 51January 3, 2023 12:14 AM

This is from Wiki and may shed light on her adventure with the Psychic network: "Warwick declared Chapter 7 bankruptcy in New Jersey on March 21, 2013.[80] Due to the reported mismanagement of her business affairs, she listed liabilities that included nearly $7 million owed to the Internal Revenue Service for the years 1991 to 1999 and more than $3 million in business taxes owed to the state of California. Unable to work out an agreement with tax officials, she and her attorney decided that declaring bankruptcy would be the best course of action.[81]"

Of course nothing like this was mentioned in the "documentary."

by Anonymousreply 52January 3, 2023 12:24 AM

They talked about the bankruptcy in the doc.

by Anonymousreply 53January 3, 2023 12:29 AM

She blamed her accountant.

by Anonymousreply 54January 3, 2023 12:31 AM

I love Promises, Promises.

There would be no Whitney Houston without Dionne Warwick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 4, 2023 2:00 AM

Can’t believe she doesn’t have a Kennedy Center Honor or in the The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

This doc will remind people about her and she should get these in the next few years.

Heck, even LL Cool J has a Kennedy Center Honor.

by Anonymousreply 56January 4, 2023 3:10 AM

R56 everyone knows she’s a shady mean-ass bitch. That’s why she doesn’t get many accolades.

by Anonymousreply 57January 4, 2023 5:10 PM

[quote] Can’t believe she doesn’t have a Kennedy Center Honor or in the The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

There is controversy in her career -- psychic friends network, financial mismanagement of funds intended for AIDS charities, disparaging Marilyn McCoo for taking her "Solid Gold" gig, etc. I think the Kennedy Center tries to stay away from artists with that kind of baggage.

by Anonymousreply 58January 4, 2023 6:07 PM

[quote] Dionne's older lesbian sister repeatedly molested and raped Whitney and her brother.

Untrue. Dee Dee was the younger sister, she was a lesbian and she did NOT molest Whitney or her crackhead brother.

by Anonymousreply 59January 4, 2023 6:12 PM

By donating all the proceeds of the chart-topping song “That’s What Friends Are For,” you’ve helped raise millions for AIDS research. What led you to get involved with the cause and how does it feel to leave such a lasting impact?

We were losing performers, we were losing dancers, we were losing hair people, we were losing wardrobe people, cameramen, lighting people.

I’ve lost two people in my group of people around me: my hairdresser and my valet both contracted AIDS. So, now, that’s too close. Let me find out what this is about. And I proceeded to get involved with W.H.O., World Health Organization, and we went to all the health departments in different countries to get a handle on not only what they were doing, but why they were not acknowledging that it’s happening in the country. I was able to help them bring their heads out of the sand and face reality.

by Anonymousreply 60January 4, 2023 6:22 PM

R60 such a statement shows everyone how utterly stupid and clueless she was.

by Anonymousreply 61January 4, 2023 7:31 PM

There is nothing stupid or clueless about that statement. Dionne spoke up about AIDS when most celebrities were terrified of being associated with it.

by Anonymousreply 62January 4, 2023 7:34 PM

So what if Dionne isn't the nicest person? Many great singers have been unpleasant people. Frank Sinatra and Aretha Franklin were miserable cunts their whole lives. Dusty Springfield was batshit insane. It shouldn't influence your judgement of their talent.

by Anonymousreply 63January 4, 2023 7:41 PM

I love the music, OK? But on a personal level based on interviews, etc. I do not like Dionne Warwick. I just don't. She has an unpleasant personality IMO.

by Anonymousreply 64January 4, 2023 7:56 PM

I was surprised at how many hits she had.

by Anonymousreply 65January 4, 2023 7:58 PM

[quote] I love the music, OK? But on a personal level based on interviews, etc. I do not like Dionne Warwick. I just don't. She has an unpleasant personality IMO.

She's snarky. you'd think she'd be the DL mascot

by Anonymousreply 66January 4, 2023 7:59 PM

She is r66. Shed’s known on the DL as Corpse and old man.

by Anonymousreply 67January 4, 2023 8:15 PM

Dionne is a tough broad from a very tough neighborhood and upbringing. Newark doesn't produce pansies. So tell me how she is so "mean", in detail.

I didn't know she was with hotties like Gianni Russo and Distel. Tell me more, this wasn't mentioned in the docu. Gurl got some primo dick there.

She's an amazing performer, and should be honored as such. If Bono and his band of dolts can get a KC Honor, she should have one too (and she's American dammit!)....I loved everything she did with Bacharach and her later work with her "Dionne" comeback in '79/80. Deja Vu is a fantastic, sexy tune; I Know I'll Never Love this Way Again a very underrated unrequited love anthem.

by Anonymousreply 68January 4, 2023 8:42 PM

[quote]Dionne is a tough broad from a very tough neighborhood and upbringing.

She also had to deal with a ton of racial shit in the 50s and 60s. Black people from Dionne's era tend to be tough as nails.

by Anonymousreply 69January 4, 2023 8:53 PM

[quote] There is controversy in her career -- psychic friends network, financial mismanagement of funds intended for AIDS charities, disparaging Marilyn McCoo for taking her "Solid Gold" gig, etc. I think the Kennedy Center tries to stay away from artists with that kind of baggage.

Aren't many singers controversial and shady.

LL Cool J has a Kenney Center Honor

by Anonymousreply 70January 4, 2023 8:54 PM

Seeing the scene about the racism she and other such Black singers had to confront in their careers was shocking. We forget so quickly what Blacks endured, particularly but not soley in the South.

by Anonymousreply 71January 4, 2023 8:55 PM

R68 doesn’t get reality

by Anonymousreply 72January 4, 2023 9:46 PM

You felt very strongly about gangster rap, and set up an early meeting with Snoop Dogg, Suge Knight and others to encourage them to reconsider their lyrics. How did that conversation go?

I called a meeting with them, and I gave them a time to be at my home. I told them not one minute before and not one minute after 7 a.m., I want that doorbell to ring. And it did. We sat and talked for quite a few hours. I told them, “You think I’m part of the problem? Make me part of the solution. Tell me what it is.” I said, “I have no problem with you saying whatever you’re feeling; however, there’s a way to say it.”

Have you reached out to any other rap artists recently?

Chance the Rapper, that was a funny thing as well. Why would you have to put “rapper” in your name when we all know you rap? Duh.

He was more surprised that I even knew who he was, and as a result we’ve become friends. He has my phone number, I have his and we do talk. We recorded together, a wonderful song and not one curse word — a very, very positive message. So it’s not like they can’t do it, and if they need to be led a little bit, hey, that must be my job to do.

by Anonymousreply 73January 4, 2023 9:50 PM

Dionne is a tough broad from a very tough neighborhood and upbringing.

What was it like growing up in East Orange, N.J.?

It was virtually the United Nations. We had every race, color, creed and religion on our street. We were friends, we walked to school together, I had dinner at their homes, they had dinner at my home. We played at the playground together. We were just kids and hung out with friends.

by Anonymousreply 74January 4, 2023 9:52 PM

[quote]Seeing the scene about the racism she and other such Black singers had to confront in their careers was shocking. We forget so quickly what Blacks endured, particularly but not soley in the South.

I'm white, from the Northeast, and born long after segregation ended. When I see the archival footage of what blacks in the South had to endure under Jim Crow it's appalling to me.

by Anonymousreply 75January 4, 2023 10:08 PM

She bragged on Twitter that there might be a hit out on Lisa Rena after she hated on DW on The Apprentice. She holds grudges,

by Anonymousreply 76January 4, 2023 10:11 PM

Actually, it was nice seeing a real legend and talent such as Dionne Warwick take down talentless Housewives Lisa Rinna and Nene Leakes on Celebrity Apprentice.

by Anonymousreply 77January 4, 2023 10:59 PM

R77 it didn’t work to her benefit because Dionne came out looking like a petty bitch.

by Anonymousreply 78January 4, 2023 11:14 PM

What happened to the money from her AIDS organization?

by Anonymousreply 79January 4, 2023 11:51 PM

It paid for her new hairdresser and valet.

by Anonymousreply 80January 4, 2023 11:54 PM

Copied this from a post in a Prince web forum. The original article is gone, but this remains…read how she answered the reporter’s questions…amazing. So entitled and clueless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81January 5, 2023 1:05 AM

[Quote] What happened to the money from her AIDS organization?a

Profits went to AmFar

by Anonymousreply 82January 5, 2023 1:29 AM

Apparently Royalties from That’s What Friends Are For have been 10’s of millions of dollars—and all of that went to amFar

by Anonymousreply 83January 5, 2023 1:30 AM

[R58] If KCH stays away from such 'baggage' they would have never honored Diana Ross or Aretha Franklin. Both women had their share of controversy with other performers, and both women had their share of financial problems made very public.

Warwick's documentary covered the good and the bad - she didn't shy away from her financial problems (as she pointed out - even GM filed for bankruptcy to get their finances back on track) . It was very well-done, very open and honest with a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 84January 5, 2023 1:33 AM

56 charting hits is pretty incredible

by Anonymousreply 85January 5, 2023 1:49 AM

Wasn't her duet with Chance "That's What Motherfuckin' Friends are For"?

by Anonymousreply 86January 5, 2023 1:53 AM

How did Cher get on the soundtrack? Was this the point where Sonny was trying to push her as a chanteuse?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 5, 2023 6:39 AM

[quote]There would be no Whitney Houston without Dionne Warwick.

Um, no. There would be someone else. Whenever they say there would be no so-in-so without ____________, it's bullshit. Without Barbara Walters there would be no (any name here)? No, there would be someone else, there's always someone else.

R62, EVERYONE claims that. *Love* how so many pat themselves on the back, it's phony as hell.

by Anonymousreply 88January 5, 2023 2:39 PM

Hey, Cher R87, take a lesson:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 5, 2023 5:03 PM

I've noticed that Warwick's songs require other-worldly breath control. Try to sing through an entire song--It's tough to get through without panting for oxygen

by Anonymousreply 90January 5, 2023 5:17 PM

[quote] Both women had their share of controversy with other performers, and both women had their share of financial problems made very public.

No. Neither had any history of bankruptcy or charges of embezzlement from a charity when they were honored.

by Anonymousreply 91January 5, 2023 5:29 PM

Why would bankruptcy bee an obstacle for recognition. She had a terrible accountant.

by Anonymousreply 92January 5, 2023 5:55 PM

Had she written her songs (or even been given a writer's credit) she would have a much higher net worth.

Currently, the internet lists her as having only $500,000

by Anonymousreply 93January 5, 2023 5:57 PM

[quote]Why would bankruptcy bee an obstacle for recognition. She had a terrible accountant.

I never understood this either. Some of the biggest, most powerful companies in the world have declared bankruptcy many times during their existence, and they remain well-respected and powerful. Auto companies, department stores, restuarant chains (and there will be more as we see more Covid fallout) - you name it, part of our every day lives. They declare, get through it, and continue on - just like Warwick did.

by Anonymousreply 94January 5, 2023 5:59 PM

[quote] 56 charting hits is pretty incredible

But only two number-one hits, both with assistance from others.

Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 95January 5, 2023 6:18 PM

[R91] Maybe not bankruptcy or embezzlement, but Aretha Franklin was in trouble with the IRS since 1991 when they started putting liens on her home for non-payment of taxes. (She received the KCH in 1994, and her tax liens were not settled by then). She was later investigated for tax fraud (though no charges were brought against her), as she avoided paying taxes from 2010 - 17. Her family finally cleared everything up with the IRS in 2021.

Ross was in trouble in the mid-80s when she pledged to fund a playground named after her in Central Park. She said she would fund the park with 7.5% of the proceeds from her televised concert on the Great Lawn in Central Park which took place in the summer of 1983. By the summer of 1984, she still hadn't forked over one dime - and claimed there was a debt of $1.7M from the concert and said she would not fulfill her promise (which was actually a written contract with the City Parks Department). The city found her financial statements misleading, Mayor Koch publicly shamed her for not fulfilling her end of the bargain, and the city threatened to sue her. Ross finally settled with the city and parks department by funding the playground with her own personal money at the end of 1986. She was awarded the KCH in 2007.

by Anonymousreply 96January 5, 2023 6:21 PM

I walk by the Diana Ross Playground in Central Park often

by Anonymousreply 97January 5, 2023 6:28 PM

The truth is, Warwick hasn’t gotten those accolades mainly because she was forgotten as an artist.

This documentary will remind everyone and recognition will follow.

It’s mind boggling to me that Glady Knight only got a KC Honor this year…with George Clooney

by Anonymousreply 98January 5, 2023 6:31 PM

Ever since watching the documentary, I've been humming all Warwick's tunes.

by Anonymousreply 99January 5, 2023 7:21 PM

[quote]This documentary will remind everyone and recognition will follow.

Don't count on it.

by Anonymousreply 100January 5, 2023 7:56 PM

[R97] I have visited a few times over the past 35 years, usually in the summer. Every time I had visited, the playground was not in great shape - there was litter thrown around, and the grounds were rather unkempt. Maybe I visited on a few bad days, but it wasn't too inviting at all - especially not for kids. Last time I was there (maybe 15 years ago, the playground looked like it could use a nice renovation and update the playground equipment.

by Anonymousreply 101January 5, 2023 8:11 PM

I'm still riveted.

by Anonymousreply 102January 5, 2023 8:16 PM

[quote] Every time I had visited, the playground was not in great shape - there was litter thrown around, and the grounds were rather unkempt. Maybe I visited on a few bad days, but it wasn't too inviting at all - especially not for kids. Last time I was there (maybe 15 years ago, the playground looked like it could use a nice renovation and update the playground equipment.

Seems quite appropriate, considering who it's named after.

by Anonymousreply 103January 5, 2023 11:07 PM

R90, with those nostrils, she should have awesome breath control 😆

by Anonymousreply 104January 6, 2023 10:51 AM

I had never noticed her nostrils before until this documentary. It's like the cameraman was instructed to take the most unflattering angles of her. Her nostrils look like tunnels you can drive an 18 wheeler through.

by Anonymousreply 105January 6, 2023 1:13 PM

To her credit, she never bothered to cosmetically alter her nose. Dionne and Barbra have that in common.

by Anonymousreply 106January 6, 2023 4:53 PM

Both of their noses were responsible for their one in a million vocal abilities.

by Anonymousreply 107January 6, 2023 4:54 PM

Michael Jackson never altered his nose, either. Not even LaToya or Rebie.

by Anonymousreply 108January 6, 2023 5:10 PM

I asked my mom if she watched the doc the other night. She replied “fuck no”!

by Anonymousreply 109January 6, 2023 5:47 PM

I'm no fan of Dionne Warwick, whom I consider a very ordinary pop singer, but this duet with Frank Sinatra is quite lovely. Skip the talking part -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 6, 2023 6:23 PM

Warwick seems ordinary because she makes it sound easy.

Try to sing any of her songs all the way through. They’re tough!

by Anonymousreply 111January 6, 2023 6:32 PM

Here's a fun, forgotten hit he sang with Jeffrey Osborne: Love Power ... It Rules Us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 6, 2023 7:22 PM

My friend saw Dionne in concert and was disappointed how on the night the singer could not reach the high notes on "Walk On By" so she lowered them.

by Anonymousreply 113January 6, 2023 7:22 PM

R113, most older singers lower the keys when singing live.

Anyway, here's a very nice live rendition of Alfie.

I love watching Dionne's interviews, the way she talks is very interesting and low-key funny.

She has said that if she wants something, she buys it. That's probably why her reported net worth is so low and why she has to keep on working. She should swallow her pride and get some help with financial planning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 6, 2023 7:28 PM

R111, EVERYBODY sang her songs, or the Bacharach songs. Many fine - and some better - versions.

by Anonymousreply 115January 6, 2023 7:37 PM

R115, what are some examples of songs that others have sung better than Dionne?

Dionne's range is limited. But her timing and breath control and the emotion (understated) that she puts into a song are unique. She has je ne sais quois. Her voice has a unique tone or timbre, like Diana Ross has.

Dionne is not the most conventionally beautiful woman and people have criticized her looks. But she has stage presence and charisma, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 116January 6, 2023 7:45 PM

A zillion people have sung Alfie before Warwick did. Hers became the hit

by Anonymousreply 117January 6, 2023 7:46 PM

Diana Ross had a thin voice, but it was a very commercial voice. Her voice was made for pop songs.

by Anonymousreply 118January 6, 2023 7:52 PM

Dionne's version of Going Out Of My Head is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 6, 2023 7:52 PM

[Quote] Diana Ross had a thin voice, but it was a very commercial voice. Her voice was made for pop songs.

The weird thing is that her voice only records as thin. Live, it’s a full throated, velvety voice.

It’s weird that there’s such a difference

by Anonymousreply 120January 6, 2023 8:18 PM

It was quite a compliment to Dionne when they interviewed Barry Gibb. He told the story of how he and his brothers had gotten into producing albums for other people in the early 1980s. Clive Davis presented him a roster of all his brand new clients on his new Arista label and asked Gibb if there was anyone he wanted to produce (there were such artists as Carly Simon, Aretha Franklin, and Dionne Warwick on the list - along with newer artists.) Gibb said he saw Warwick's name on the list and he exclaimed, "Her! Dionne Warwick!" because Gibb felt Warwick was one of the greatest female vocalists of all time, and always wanted to work with her. SO he produced her 1982 best selling album, 'Heartbreaker'.

This was after he produced Streisand's #1 mega album 'Guilty' in 1980. I wonder what Barbra thought about his comment in the documentary (and I'm sure she watched this.)

by Anonymousreply 121January 6, 2023 8:26 PM

I wouldn't describe Dionne's voice as "ordinary" or "limited." I think she had a great range. But the way Burt Bacharach's songs are structured, it doesn't leave much room for a singer to improvise. These weren't simple little pop melodies like the ones that her cousin Whitney used to sing.

This is one of her greatest performances ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 6, 2023 8:35 PM

Youtubers have been making better documentaries than legacy media institutions for years and years.

by Anonymousreply 123January 6, 2023 8:37 PM

IIRC, Barbra sought out Barry Gibb, not vice-versa. Barry said that Barbra was scary and could get angry.

by Anonymousreply 124January 6, 2023 8:40 PM

Barbra did seek out Barry (I think he and his brothers had put word out through the grapevine that they were interested in producing other artists in 1980). However, I never heard him say one word against Streisand - in the many interviews I've heard and read, he gushed all over Streisand. Same with Warwick, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton.

Diana Ross, on the other hand, was a different story - he does not hide his dislike and frustration about her.

by Anonymousreply 125January 6, 2023 8:46 PM

Ironically, Dionne did NOT like the "Heartbreaker" LP. She was vocal about not liking it. Then it became the biggest international seller of her career. Clive Davis wanted Gibb to produce her follow-up but Gibb declined.

by Anonymousreply 126January 6, 2023 8:49 PM

I definitely saw at least one, if not two, interviews where Barry said that working with Barbra was scary.

by Anonymousreply 127January 6, 2023 8:50 PM

Around 6:15, Barry Gibb talks about Barbra being scary, happy and angry, etc.

This is actually a good interview, overall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 6, 2023 9:04 PM

[quote]Clive Davis wanted Gibb to produce her follow-up but Gibb declined.

That's too bad, since her next album produced by Luter Vandross was just awful ('How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye').

Yes, so he then turned to Barry Manilow (who produced her come-back 'Dionne' in 1979) to try and repeat his magic. The result was "Finder of Lost Loves" (aka 'Without Your Love' outside the USA) which wasn't a bad album at all, but was one of her biggest flops on Arista. And that was the end of Manilow working with her.

The next album 'Friends' was a winner.

by Anonymousreply 129January 6, 2023 9:42 PM

R116 have you listed to Sarah Vaughan's Alfie in R89?

by Anonymousreply 130January 6, 2023 10:18 PM

I agree with Barry Gibb that Dionne Warwick is one of the greatest female vocalists of all time.

by Anonymousreply 131January 6, 2023 10:35 PM

R114 it’s funny because of how fucking stupid she is.

by Anonymousreply 132January 6, 2023 10:55 PM

R120 it’s call PERCEPTION

by Anonymousreply 133January 6, 2023 10:57 PM

The Dionne Warwick fan has been very busy on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 134January 6, 2023 11:13 PM

R131 I agree with Barry Gibb that Dionne Warwick is one of the ugliest female vocalists of all time.

by Anonymousreply 135January 6, 2023 11:15 PM

I had high hopes for her Vandross-produced album but it was a disappointment. He did such good stuff for Aretha and Cheryl Lynn. FRIENDS was okay; my favorite song from that was WHISPER IN THE DARK. But that was the last consistent thing she made. I wonder if her ego gets in the way of letting producers work their magic.

by Anonymousreply 136January 7, 2023 12:26 AM

OP, you've never had a make-up over?

by Anonymousreply 137January 7, 2023 1:12 AM

Err, make-over.

by Anonymousreply 138January 7, 2023 1:13 AM

Pretty amazing how the BeeGees were able to pivot to producing once their songs fell out of style. They had huge success as producers.

by Anonymousreply 139January 7, 2023 1:26 PM

The documentary doesn’t talk about her stint as a host on Solid Gold

by Anonymousreply 140January 7, 2023 1:27 PM

I forgot her stint on 'Solid Gold'.

by Anonymousreply 141January 7, 2023 1:35 PM

She also sang the theme song.

by Anonymousreply 142January 7, 2023 4:09 PM

She also sang the theme songs to "Love Boat" and "FInder of Lost Loves" - both by Aaron Spelling, both on ABC. Unfortunately, she never sang the theme songs to "Alice" or "One Day At A Time".

by Anonymousreply 143January 7, 2023 8:35 PM

[quote] FRIENDS was okay; my favorite song from that was WHISPER IN THE DARK.

I love "Whisper In The Dark." One of my favorites from her Arista years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 7, 2023 8:58 PM

They didn't cover the whole sordid Brazil episode. Or Damont. Or Nippy.

by Anonymousreply 145January 7, 2023 9:00 PM

[quote]She said she would fund the park with 7.5% of the proceeds from her televised concert on the Great Lawn in Central Park which took place in the summer of 1983...and claimed there was a debt of $1.7M from the concert and said she would not fulfill her promise...

Were you even alive back then? The concert was interrupted then cancelled when a huge rainstorm rolled in. She appeared the next night without incident, but they didn't expect twice the expense.

by Anonymousreply 146January 7, 2023 11:19 PM

What about Damont? Asking r145.

by Anonymousreply 147January 7, 2023 11:31 PM

Next we should see a show about Roberta Flack. She’s a great singer who’s been largely forgotten too

by Anonymousreply 148January 8, 2023 12:12 AM

^ we already have. She has ALS.

by Anonymousreply 149January 8, 2023 1:14 PM

I wonder if one of her sons is gay...

by Anonymousreply 150January 8, 2023 9:35 PM

R149 Corpse Warwick is insufferable like you.

by Anonymousreply 151January 8, 2023 10:06 PM

Dionne still smokes. She's fucking 82 years old and she's still sucking down the Virginia Slims Menthols. That's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 152January 8, 2023 10:19 PM

Does it cover her personal life?

The male ego is a fragile thing. It's hard when the woman is the breadwinner. All my life, the only man who ever took care of me financially was my father. I have always taken care of myself.

by Anonymousreply 153January 9, 2023 12:34 AM

For anybody thinking of going to see her live, here's a taste of what you'll be getting: this is a recent performance from last month in San Diego.

She's lowered the key on the song and altered the melody (Bacharach would have a shit fit if he heard this version), slowed it way down so she has time to breathe, and has one of her male musicians do about 50% of the singing, if not more.

When she does actually sing, she still sounds like Dionne, with that familiar tone and phrasing, but she's pitchy as fuck in places.

Yet somehow it's not terrible. Not sure I'd pay to see her at this point. But not sure that I wouldn't, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 9, 2023 1:31 AM

[R154] I think she's fine in that clip - especially at 82, and singing the same set list for 60 years.

by Anonymousreply 155January 9, 2023 2:48 AM

What song is she singing???

by Anonymousreply 156January 9, 2023 3:37 AM

Smoking those cigarettes for decades did a number on her voice. She no longer has any range. The musicality is still there, but the clarity and register are gone.

by Anonymousreply 157January 9, 2023 3:44 AM

If you see me walking down the street

And I'm smoking Virginia Slims each time we meet.

by Anonymousreply 158January 9, 2023 9:20 AM

Do celebrity participants in these documentary biographies get paid for their appearance? Is that correct. For example would Barry Gibb or Stevie Wonder have been paid for their time being interviewed for this program.

I thought famous people did this for free, as a favor to their famous friends/colleagues with the expectation the favor would be returned down the road.

by Anonymousreply 159January 9, 2023 2:37 PM

Obligatory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160January 9, 2023 6:29 PM

News organizations say they don’t pay— but this is a film so maybe it’s different

by Anonymousreply 161January 9, 2023 11:46 PM

R160, cute little otters!

by Anonymousreply 162January 9, 2023 11:47 PM

Dionne's image back in the day was ladylike, classy, controlled. She was a star. I knew her from guest spots and specials, tv shows of my teens, and radio hits. Her appearance on The Apprentice was an eye opener. Somewhat coarse, a bitchy diva, lazy and a back stabber.

by Anonymousreply 163January 9, 2023 11:56 PM

Old dumbass bitch

by Anonymousreply 164January 10, 2023 12:02 AM

Dionne and Marlee Matlin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165January 10, 2023 12:07 AM

[quote]Her appearance on The Apprentice was an eye opener. Somewhat coarse, a bitchy diva, lazy and a back stabber.

She joined DL in-between and picked up a few pointers.

by Anonymousreply 166January 10, 2023 12:17 AM

Dionne was such a fucking bitch on The Apprentice.

"I got your number HUSSY!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 10, 2023 12:39 AM

A few years ago, when Trump was in the middle of his term, Warwick was interviewed for an album she released but the questions went to her time on 'The Apprentice' a few years back. Warwick said that she only did the show because Trump personally asked her to, and she accepted because he always booked her for his casinos (when she needed the work in the 90s) and was always courteous and professional to her. She didn't forget this, and she returned the favor to him when he asked her to take a spot on the show (some other celebrity had canceled last minute). She also wanted to raise money for her AIDS charity if she won.

She also made it clear the Trump she knew back in the 90s and on the show was NOT the same person who was sitting in the White House. (And she made it clear she has always been a staunch Democrat all her life).

by Anonymousreply 168January 10, 2023 1:07 AM

Whitney sings a Warwick medley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 10, 2023 2:35 PM

Luthor sings an AMAZING "A House is not a home"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 10, 2023 2:40 PM

Very funny, R168.

by Anonymousreply 171January 10, 2023 11:20 PM

She shops for piss pads at DG.

by Anonymousreply 172January 11, 2023 12:07 AM

I hate that AWF Troll's harassment stopped DL's Miss Warwick from posting. Those threads were some of the funniest shit ever.

by Anonymousreply 173January 11, 2023 12:09 AM

I love Dionne, but wouldn't pay much to see her performing as she is at R154. The crowd got excited when her band member sings.

Here she is at the Java Jazz Festival in 2018. Singing, at around the 14:30 mark, Say a Little Prayer. Not great, but not as bad as at R154.

I think the songs lose a lot of the punch from slowing down the tempo so much. The songs Dionne sings (Promises, Promises) have a lot of those fast, percussion-like phrases. You lose that quality when you slow it down so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174January 11, 2023 1:14 AM

R174 that is painful to see and hear.

by Anonymousreply 175January 11, 2023 1:19 AM

[quote] I hate that AWF Troll's harassment stopped DL's Miss Warwick from posting. Those threads were some of the funniest shit ever.

Sometimes it was not funny just coarse and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 176January 11, 2023 1:22 AM

r130, Warwick remains the gold standard. The vast majority of singers are not surpassing Dionne Warwick singing Bacharach.

Least of all Alfie. It took Dionne Warwick to make that song a hit. Nobody can pull it off the way she does. Warwick, Bacharach and David were the Triangle Marriage for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 177January 11, 2023 12:26 PM

I’d rather hear Dionne at her worst than Jennifer Lopez at her best.

by Anonymousreply 178January 11, 2023 4:50 PM

[quote] [R116] have you listed to Sarah Vaughan's Alfie in [R89]?

Just noticed this comment.

Yes, I listened to Sarah Vaughan's Alfie at R89. Agree with R177 that Dionne's is the gold standard. The emotion conveyed and cadence in Dionne's is just superior, IMO. Vaughan's version does not bring a tear to my eye, but Dionne's definitely does. Yes, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 179January 11, 2023 6:03 PM

She killed this cover of the classic Fifth Dimension song…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180January 11, 2023 6:29 PM

The above link, like Warwick's music, is stinky.

by Anonymousreply 181January 11, 2023 8:46 PM

Patti, you are just pressed because Celine Dion's cover of IF YOU ASKED ME TO is just as good, if not better, than your version. White girl gave your ass a run for your money, hussy

by Anonymousreply 182January 11, 2023 11:00 PM

Patti is still richer than you, Warwitch. You had more hits and sold more records, but Patti has more money.

That must hurt your soul, doesn't it? As we used to say in Detroit, "Too bad, too sad. Scratch ya ass and get glad."

by Anonymousreply 183January 12, 2023 12:16 AM

Anita, shut your dwarf ass up! Ain't nobody asked your evil Jerry's Kids ass a damn thing!

by Anonymousreply 184January 12, 2023 12:22 AM

R183 🔥 🔥 🔥

by Anonymousreply 185January 12, 2023 12:44 AM

It’s sad that Warwick still has to perform now to make an income. She’s not wealthy at all

by Anonymousreply 186January 12, 2023 2:12 AM

She should be very wealthy. As has been said, Patti Labelle didn't have nearly as many hits as Dionne or sell as many records but she's very well off. WTF happened with Dionne's finances?

by Anonymousreply 187January 12, 2023 3:07 AM

Patti bakes for $

by Anonymousreply 188January 12, 2023 12:59 PM

Patti saw how many black entertainers were financially ignorant and how much money they squandered or were robbed of by shady business managers. She was smart. Patti kept her same house in Philadelphia for ages; not sure if she sold it or not. She’s only extravagant onstage.

by Anonymousreply 189January 12, 2023 1:39 PM

Apparently Dionne did have a form of bone disease in her gums that required surgery. Bone was removed from her hip and placed in her mouth. Her bite definitely changed dramatically over time.

by Anonymousreply 190January 13, 2023 1:30 PM

my favorite takeaway was this very simple Paris rooftop video that I'd never seen before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191January 13, 2023 8:34 PM

Sorry Miss Dionne, you stomp on Cilla Black, but it's still Dusty's voice that I hear on Anyone Who Had A Heart.

by Anonymousreply 192January 13, 2023 8:43 PM

I really like the early 80's period Dionne, the "Dionne" album and the one following, she had several hit singles. I almost forgot about this one, written by Will Jennings & Richard Kerr who also wrote "I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again". Great vocals, romantic lyrics, lush orchestration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193January 14, 2023 2:49 AM

Here she is doing "No Night So Long" on the Tonight Show, sometime in the 1980s or maybe early 90s. Did everyone famous dress like this when performing on television? She looks like my Aunt Sarah when she went to church on the weekend. That dress could have been from Dress Barn.

She's maybe in her 40s in the clip but seems much older, which I guess was in keeping with the times. People looked middle-aged much sooner. Her hands are beautiful though, here, beautifully manicured. I always liked the way she used them when performing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194January 14, 2023 4:02 AM

I've never forgiven her for adding an extra "love" to "Love, exciting and new".

by Anonymousreply 195January 14, 2023 4:22 AM

And they cover the "Warwicke" years, which took place on the advice of her psychic WAY before she did Psychic Friends' Network. She's desperately trying to rewrite history when it comes to her Psychic Friends' debacle.

by Anonymousreply 196January 14, 2023 4:24 AM

She must've been totally flat broke and desperate for cash to get involved in that Psychic Friends shit. It was so low-rent for a star of her stature.

by Anonymousreply 197January 14, 2023 4:40 AM

Didn't Cher do infomercials at the time too?

by Anonymousreply 198January 14, 2023 4:43 AM

Cher did the Lori Davis infomercial because she was a personal friend of Lori Davis and just did it as a favor. She thought the infomercial would run late at night on one channel for a month or so and that would be it. It actually ran on multiple channels several times a night for months and months. Cher was totally embarrassed that it got so much exposure.

by Anonymousreply 199January 14, 2023 4:46 AM

R199 Not too embarrassed to very soon thereafter come out with Cher's Aquasentials Skin Care line, and produce just as many late night infomercials for the product line.

I happen to think she was a great salesperson, and she looked marvelous.

by Anonymousreply 200January 14, 2023 7:05 AM

[Quote] She looks like my Aunt Sarah when she went to church on the weekend. That dress could have been from Dress Barn

She was broke

by Anonymousreply 201January 14, 2023 1:30 PM

Didn’t sh have a really wealthy boyfriend at one time?

by Anonymousreply 202January 14, 2023 6:14 PM

r192, well it should be noted Dusty was a devotee of Dionne. She saw Dionne as a great singer.

by Anonymousreply 203January 15, 2023 5:31 AM

Couldn't the show have given her a more jazzy dress or do they just accept whatever you are wearing when you attend?

by Anonymousreply 204January 15, 2023 5:48 AM

I am very weary of this Dionne lovefest. Give it a rest, Dionne.

by Anonymousreply 205January 15, 2023 12:55 PM

R203 Granted, but on this particular song I think Dusty excels, while Dionne sounds a bit shrill.

by Anonymousreply 206January 15, 2023 9:07 PM

If he's speedily charged and convicted of campaign finance violations, he can be removed right? That's what happened to the congressman from San Diego who blamed everything on his wife. Unlikely on an accelerated schedule, but still possible.

by Anonymousreply 207January 16, 2023 2:09 AM

George Santos IS Dionne Warwick!

by Anonymousreply 208January 16, 2023 2:14 AM

Says he, R208 (scraping your filth off the sole of my sneaker).

by Anonymousreply 209January 16, 2023 2:16 AM

Humblest apologies. Got my threads crossed.

by Anonymousreply 210January 16, 2023 2:20 AM

Dionne was never shrill of Bacharach David material. That was Cilla Black's job.

by Anonymousreply 211January 16, 2023 11:33 AM

Dionne Warwick: Elvis Presley did me a big favor in Las Vegas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212January 16, 2023 6:57 PM

Why was Cilla so popular?

by Anonymousreply 213January 17, 2023 12:13 AM

^ She benefitted from being the only female star in the Beatles' orbit, and rose to popularity as part of the "Merseybeat" scene, when Liverpool suddenly became the epicenter of the music business.

She was the coat check girl at the Cavern Club, where the seeds of Beatlemania first started to sprout. She was friends with them. Her not being a great beauty probably helped her, in that the legions of female Beatles fans didn't see her as much of a threat. Lennon and McCartney wrote songs for her to sing. Brian Epstein managed her. George Martin produced her. She had a thick Scouse accent, at a time when that was THE accent to have if you wanted to make it in England.

And, even though she didn't have the greatest voice in the world, she could more or less (Miss Warwick would say less) carry a tune.

In other words, right place, right time, she knew the right people, and she wasn't without talent and charisma. Credit to her for lasting far beyond the initial Merseyside invasion, unlike the majority of the other Liverpool acts.

by Anonymousreply 214January 17, 2023 5:00 AM

Cilla

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 17, 2023 5:09 AM

She’s okay, but her version of this lacks vocal nuance and shading.

by Anonymousreply 216January 17, 2023 3:56 PM

PS almost like Ethel Merman.

by Anonymousreply 217January 17, 2023 3:58 PM

In one of the at-home clips from the 1970s, she had plastic on her furniture!

by Anonymousreply 218February 6, 2023 12:07 PM

[Quote] I thought Dionne and Cissy didn’t get along.

Cissy tried to "take" Alfie from Dionne but...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219February 6, 2023 12:10 PM

NYT: doing justice to a six-decade career in 95 minutes proves challenging. Overall, “Don’t Make Me Over” gets the job done, albeit in a formulaic, straightforward fashion. But there’s pure joy in just seeing Warwick radiate the kind of charisma and grit you’d hope for from a living legend who has always stayed true to herself. In this ordinary film about her extraordinary life, it’s clear she’s not stopping now.

by Anonymousreply 220February 6, 2023 12:13 PM

Aretha: "Let me speak to The Millionairess..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221February 6, 2023 12:14 PM

Noted, all Dionne's hit songs written by white songwriters.

by Anonymousreply 222February 6, 2023 12:20 PM

Not all. "Then Came You" was written by two black men, Sherman Marshall and Phillip Pugh. Isaac Hayes wrote "Deja Vu."

by Anonymousreply 223February 6, 2023 12:30 PM

R194 That performance gave me chills. Amazing. Imagine watching a talk show and seeing a great performance like that. Now we’re just served stale.garbage.

by Anonymousreply 224February 6, 2023 12:36 PM

Old gal still got IT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225February 6, 2023 12:39 PM

R219 so glad that Cissy got her face broke by someone. She’s a bully and an ogress. I would have loved to have seen her face when Burt gave her that demo back.

by Anonymousreply 226February 6, 2023 2:40 PM

Nevertheless, Bacharach used Cissy to sing "One Less Bell to Answer" on one of his albums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227February 6, 2023 5:25 PM

I always liked this gem from 1982!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228February 7, 2023 12:21 AM

[quote]That's too bad, since her next album produced by Luter Vandross was just awful ('How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye').

BS, the album was great and the title track among the truely amazing and musically sophisticated ballads/duets Luther produced during his career. It's an absolute classic the same way his duet with Cheryl Lynn, If This World Were Mine, is a forever classic.

by Anonymousreply 229February 7, 2023 3:08 AM

Cissy was a great, great singer, but she had zero interpretive skills. All those skills went to Whitney who had it in spades.

There is a reason Cissy stayed a background vocalist all her life. She didn't know what to do with a melody.

by Anonymousreply 230February 7, 2023 3:15 AM

"Sophisticated." Translation: Old Fogey.

by Anonymousreply 231February 7, 2023 8:31 AM

"If This World Were Mine" isn't a very good song. Nice vocals can't save an indifferent piece of writing.

by Anonymousreply 232February 7, 2023 8:31 AM

This is probably my fave Cissy track.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233February 7, 2023 8:33 AM

I also like her remake of a song originally released by Jean Wells.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234February 7, 2023 8:34 AM

You're a moron R232!

by Anonymousreply 235February 7, 2023 8:58 AM

Perfect example for why Cissy Houston was only good for oohs and ahhs at R233.

by Anonymousreply 236February 7, 2023 9:03 AM

[Quote] You're a moron [R232]!

There's a reason Motown made it a b-side, dear...

by Anonymousreply 237February 7, 2023 9:40 AM

The soprano part on "Ain't No Way" is much more than an shoop-shoop...

by Anonymousreply 238February 7, 2023 9:41 AM

Cissy had a good disco hit with "Think It Over." Though, like Whitney, she smoked her voice away prematurely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239February 7, 2023 9:42 AM

Cissy couldn't connect well with the camera. I presume she was the same way on stage. Dee Dee Warwick was the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240February 7, 2023 9:43 AM

It's still not singing a song R238. Cissy was as stiff as a board with a melody, with how to actually fit into a song as a singer and interpreter.

Somebody from Clive Davis' inner circle at Arista once said Cissy was jealous of Whitney. Probably quite a bit of truth to that, bc Whitney was a brilliant and unique interpreter. She could feel a song, it's emotions and meaning. That's why she was so good at connecting with an audience.

by Anonymousreply 241February 7, 2023 10:25 AM

Whitney wasn't a first class interpreter. Beautiful sounds but not a lot of depth there.

by Anonymousreply 242February 7, 2023 11:12 AM

Cissy was at her best with The Sweet Inspirations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243February 7, 2023 11:18 AM

Whitney must’ve gotten her beauty from her dad’s side of the family. Cissy has Marty Feldman eyes.

by Anonymousreply 244February 7, 2023 3:11 PM

[quote] Anita, shut your dwarf ass up! Ain't nobody asked your evil Jerry's Kids ass a damn thing!

Just because you look like Samuel L. Jackson in Django Unchained these days doesn't mean you have to speak like him, Warwitch.

by Anonymousreply 245February 7, 2023 5:35 PM

R242 please elaborate.

by Anonymousreply 246February 8, 2023 12:36 PM

This documentary was only soso. No revelations here.

by Anonymousreply 247February 8, 2023 1:22 PM

I thought it was well done - though it does sort of gloss over later years and the fact she really hasn't had a hit for a long time.

I was surprised to see mentions of the psychic business as well as her bankruptcies.

Still, there was a lot I didn't know about her early years and she deserves the accolades. I liked most of the docu until the last 10-15 minutes where they just start repeating shit, kissing ass and basically call her the second coming of Christ. (A problem in lots of documentaries when they pad out the time)

by Anonymousreply 248February 19, 2023 6:12 PM

Dionne deserves a Kennedy Center Honor.

So did Burt but for some reason they never did it.

by Anonymousreply 249February 19, 2023 6:13 PM

This is one of my favorite Whitney live performances (no lip sync). All the Man I Need from the Welcome Home Heroes (post Persian Gulf War) concert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250February 19, 2023 6:32 PM

This montage/collage really cracks me up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251March 15, 2023 8:00 AM

[quote] Anyone Watching the CNN Documentary about Dionne Warwick?

Nah. I walked on by.

by Anonymousreply 252March 15, 2023 8:21 AM

R252, why do you have to be a heartbreaker?

by Anonymousreply 253March 17, 2023 2:02 PM

But I have all the love in the world

by Anonymousreply 254March 17, 2023 4:32 PM

It makes no difference now…

by Anonymousreply 255March 17, 2023 4:48 PM

I wasn’t a fan of that FRIENDS IN LOVE album produced by Jay Graydon. He did great with Al Jarreau and even Sheena Easton. But he made Dionne sound metallic and artificial, something her voice definitely isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 256March 17, 2023 5:11 PM

R93 get new lenses. She’s only worth $5,000

by Anonymousreply 257March 17, 2023 9:08 PM

She hid all her money in Brasil.

by Anonymousreply 258March 17, 2023 9:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!