Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Runaway Wheelchair! Eleanor Parker in Eye of the Cat

Isn’t this over the top runaway wheelchair scene with Eleanor Parker just absolutely delicious?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 4, 2023 11:29 PM

I love this scene! Anything sinister involving wheelchairs sets my camp sense tingling. George C. Scott being chased by an empty wheelchair in 'The Changeling had me rolling in the aisles.

by Anonymousreply 1January 1, 2023 1:00 AM

Wait, is that Eleanor Parker in the wheelchair? Or is she the blond in the window?

by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2023 1:01 AM

Eleanor never could drive a stick shift.

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2023 1:18 AM

What is that film????

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2023 1:27 AM

Was this the inspiration for the Toonces sketch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2023 1:47 AM

Is that the guy from They Shoot Horses?

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2023 2:13 AM

Very well filmed, suspenseful. Before they used CGI or special f/x.

by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2023 2:19 AM

Yes. 1969 was the Year of the Cat AND the Horse for Michael.

by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2023 2:19 AM

R4 Eye of the Cat

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2023 2:18 PM

How do I not know this film? But with thanks to OP, I'll try to remedy that.

by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2023 2:54 PM

Thanks for my first good laugh of the year. I’ll have to seek this movie out.

by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2023 2:56 PM

Thank you, OP

I'm watching "Eye of the Cat" now.

It's just as deliciously campy as you'd imagine.

by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2023 4:26 PM

She should have brought along her harmonica.

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2023 4:32 PM

According to Amazon, I just bought the last copy they had...

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2023 4:43 PM

Eleanor is a long way from Salzburg. Serves her right for trying to send those kids to boarding school. There was a missing scene of Rolf and Uncle Max, who are now in a passionate S&M relationship, tampering with the controls.

by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2023 4:54 PM

I just bought the Blu-ray. I’ve never seen the whole film before!

Apparently the original theatrical cut has a supernatural element with the cats and the television cut has more of a paranoia aspect. Interesting!

by Anonymousreply 16January 1, 2023 5:00 PM

It’s on YouTube in a pretty good transfer. Skipping through it Michael Sarazin had a shower scene and a bath tub scene. No actually nudity, but the bath scene is interesting as he’s having a conversation with his good looking friend perched on the side of the tub, who then dries his back as he stands in front of the mirror in the nude. Looking forward to watching the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 17January 1, 2023 5:01 PM

Excellent horror film.

by Anonymousreply 18January 1, 2023 5:10 PM

San Francisco was a better city then. Cats would never attack purple dressed ladies in wheelchairs now.

by Anonymousreply 19January 1, 2023 5:13 PM

R2 The blonde in the window is Gayle Hunnicut, who had more than a passing resemblance to Linda Gray, which is perhaps why she was cast as JR’s love interest in late season Dallas.

She was also the female lead (along with Pamela Franklin) in The Legend of Hell House, which seemed as it played on television nearly every Sunday during the 1970s.

In real life she was, for a time, Lady Jenkins. She even managed to rate a mention in one of Edina’s throwaway, namedroppy comments in AbFab.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 1, 2023 5:14 PM

Uh, why was the guy afraid of that gorgeous orange tabby? This scene is just beyond. I’m here for the tabby murdering multiple people.

by Anonymousreply 21January 1, 2023 5:17 PM

Mother, we have sinned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2023 5:18 PM

OP that was a romp! I must track down this film.

by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2023 5:21 PM

Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 24January 1, 2023 5:43 PM

[Quote]A man (Michael Sarrazin) afraid of cats plots with his girlfriend (Gayle Hunnicutt) to kill his rich invalid aunt (Eleanor Parker), whose house is full of cats.

by Anonymousreply 25January 1, 2023 6:01 PM

Full film. Thanks, r17.

I always found Michael Sarrazin sexy as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 1, 2023 6:49 PM

Michael Sarrazin was truly hot. More to the point, he had a very sexual energy that told you he was screaming good in bed.

by Anonymousreply 27January 1, 2023 6:52 PM

^ His lips!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 1, 2023 7:04 PM

Included in this mash...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 1, 2023 7:07 PM

Thanks for reminding me of this movie, OP. I was in 6th or 7th grade when we saw it in the theater. It was definitely more of a terror film than psychological thriller as someone mentioned above. The cat was very creepy in the film though he looks like a garden variety tabby in this clip. Michael Sarrazin was my first movie star crush.

by Anonymousreply 30January 1, 2023 7:18 PM

R1, Trish Van Devere is the one chased by the wheelchair in THE CHANGELING, not Scott.

EYE OF THE CAT is one of the films where Universal decided to tone down some of the material for TV - the scene where Hunnicutt first visits Sarrazin, he's in bed with a woman in the film, but the TV version cuts any visual of her; the final sequence in the theatrical film has a horde of cats, but the TV version only has one, which makes the whole thing laughable.

I love the title sequence in this film - one of the best parts of it.

Is it time for a remake with Madison Cawthorn?

by Anonymousreply 31January 1, 2023 7:24 PM

The cat is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 32January 1, 2023 8:13 PM

Greg Abbott needs to see this film (and so does anyone who might push his wheelchair)!

by Anonymousreply 33January 1, 2023 8:20 PM

If ya *really* wanna see the Baroness chewin' the scenery...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 1, 2023 10:03 PM

[quote]According to Amazon, I just bought the last copy they had...

It's certainly not an easy find on streaming services where I live. It's going to take some effort I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 35January 1, 2023 11:36 PM

I spoke too soon and too stupidly ar R35.

R26 has saved me -- many thanks!

by Anonymousreply 36January 1, 2023 11:38 PM

The full movie is available on You Tube in the U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 2, 2023 3:42 PM

This movie is great (started it too late to finish last night, will finish it today). The scheming hairdresser who roles in Sarazin is one cold woman, and Eleanor Parker’s Aunt Danny must have invented resting bitch face. Aunt Danny is so mean to young brother Luke, who’s adorable and happy to do chores shirtless around the house.

The boys are in a state of undress in several scenes, so I looked up to see if the director might have been gay. His IMDB bio doesn’t mention a wife or children, but I saw that he was married on another page. Not that means anything, and maybe the studio was pushing Sarazin as an ingenue at the time. He’s too skinny by today’s standards of course.

by Anonymousreply 38January 2, 2023 4:00 PM

This movie always looked to me like it would be terrifying. Never saw it, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 2, 2023 5:39 PM

Agree, R38...

In the initial scene with Salazar they film his nearly nude body from head to toe,

and repeatedly show Salazar and the other young male actor in various states of undress...

by Anonymousreply 40January 2, 2023 7:21 PM

r39 I saw this with my parents when it first came out when I was 8. What I recall: -Cornelia Sharpe's huge nipples -Jennifer O'Neill's wooden acting -Margot Kidder playing the typical cunt she played well -Debralee Scott in a small but warmly memorable role -I barely recall Sarrazin, but... -the standout for every gayling and gay is uncredited model Tony Stephano (featured on the poster). His body was off the hook and either naked or in a Speedo. Here he is naked from one of his frequent pictorials. You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 2, 2023 7:44 PM

If you watch 'Eye of the Cat' critically, you can tell that the character Michael Sarrazin was playing, Wylie, was supposed to have been a gay prostitute catfishing the older woman (Eleanor Parker) for money, but the studio wasn't brave enough to front a film with that storyline. So they made Wylie a heterosexual. A pity.

by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2023 6:06 AM

The fact that Judy Garland's 4th husband, Mark Herron, shows up briefly as Parker's hairdresser, Bellemondo, does help make up for that...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 4, 2023 6:36 AM

Parker was a stunning beauty.

by Anonymousreply 44January 4, 2023 8:22 AM

Why do I feel like there’s some implied incest between Luke and everyone?

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2023 3:35 AM

All the men were so slim in those days.

Today everyone is FAT or MUSCULAR or both.

I prefer the way men looked in ca. 1968.

by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2023 3:40 AM

Can we get Madison Cawthorn to re-enact this?

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2023 3:44 AM

I can confirm the Blu-ray has the edited for TV version with new scenes film. However, it looks like a copy of a copy of a VHS tape.

by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2023 5:22 AM

This is actually a fascinating film, but I feel sorry for Eleanor Parker. Just four years before she had been playing the Baroness in "The Sound of Music," and here she was doing this silly horror film.

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2023 5:26 AM

Given Parker's WTF performance as a raging bitch in the 1966 An American Dream, I'd say that a silly horror film was right up her alley. She always tended to overact.

by Anonymousreply 50January 10, 2023 7:27 PM

Michael Sarazin was incredibly hot and I think he did a bathtub scene in "For Pete's Sake" with Babs

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2023 11:59 PM

[R51] Wonder if he and Babs got it on.

by Anonymousreply 52January 22, 2023 4:41 PM

I recall seeing it when the movie was first released and it scared the shit outta me and turned me off cats for the rest of my life. There were dozens of cats in that mansion on Fillmore Street, and when it was finally shown on NBC on Saturday Night At The Movies, it had been edited down to one frickin' kitty. That scene with Sarazzin on the ladder is ludicrous with only a single pussy terrorizing him, but when it was lots of pussies, it was a lot scarier. I've never been able to find the original cut. They chopped it to shreds for tv, and the original was never seen again. And, btw, Sarazzin and Christopher Jones were my prime jerk-off fantasies back then.

by Anonymousreply 53January 22, 2023 4:53 PM

Looks cheesy, but I was wrapped up in the suspense of that scene, anyway! Like Pearl White, in a serial, tied to the railroad tracks. Film is the only art or craft where this could be done. Not in a book, or on the stage.

I kind of forgot EP was in The Sound Of Music.. She was past her major stardom at that point. She was somewhat older than Christopher Plummer. A lot of other people could have played her role. I wonder if she was cast by the original director, William Wyler, or by Robert Wise (they both had worked with her in previous films).

by Anonymousreply 54January 22, 2023 5:03 PM

Parker was supposed to have appeared in a production of "Pal Joey" about 40+ years ago on Broadway with Edward Villella, but she walked, then Villella walked, and they were replaced with Joan Copeland and Christopher Chadham. A tortuous mess, but Dixie Carter doing "Zip" was well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 55January 22, 2023 5:16 PM

I didn't realize Joan Copeland could sing.

by Anonymousreply 56January 22, 2023 6:18 PM

R56-Honey, she couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2023 3:52 AM

R57 Could Eleanor Parker sing? The only time I remember her singing was in the TV movie of Hans Brinker, when I was a kid. I don't remember what she sounded like.

by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2023 4:49 AM

R20 How curious! You seem to know a lot about Gayle and that is very exciting to me. She is my father's cousin and will be delighted to hear that there was an online forum discussing her in 2023.

by Anonymousreply 59February 9, 2023 12:41 AM

Are there any pics out there before Gayle had her nose bobbed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 9, 2023 8:07 AM

R60 I haven't seen any. Possibly in her yearbook, Paschal High School in Fort Worth, class of ca. 1961. She had it done very soon after moving to LA, I believe. Many Hunnicutts have a prominent nose.

by Anonymousreply 61February 10, 2023 12:00 AM

Just finished this. A couple of questions:

Is the implication that Danny drowned the kittens? If so, I wish they had killed her.

Also, is there an implication that she sexually abused the nephews? And/or that the boys’ father left their mother for Danny?

by Anonymousreply 62February 11, 2023 9:41 PM

[quote]R53: I've never been able to find the original cut. They chopped it to shreds for tv, and the original was never seen again.

It can still be found, if you're sufficiently motivated. Try torrents.

by Anonymousreply 63February 12, 2023 3:20 AM

R53, the Blu-ray has the restored original cut.

And R62, incest is implied between Danny and the brothers as well as the brothers themselves. At least my take on it.

by Anonymousreply 64February 12, 2023 7:23 AM

You can watch the original version here. The site is safe. We've watched films here a few years now without any problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 12, 2023 8:23 AM

Wonder if it inspired this zany scene from Naked Gun 2 1/2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 12, 2023 9:19 AM

Scenery chewing at its finest. She was giving off strong Faye Dunaway vibes.

by Anonymousreply 67February 12, 2023 10:07 AM

This is great, but my all time favorite wheelchair scene in a movie involves Richard Widmark as a bad guy in a ghoulishly over acted performance. It was a Noir movie and I cannot remember the name of it.

by Anonymousreply 68February 12, 2023 10:26 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 12, 2023 10:41 AM

That's Danielle Steel's mansion on the right.

by Anonymousreply 70February 12, 2023 10:57 AM

Thanks, R69!!!

by Anonymousreply 71February 12, 2023 11:09 AM

There was another movie, an ET ripoff, where a kid in a wheelchair went flying over a cliff into a lake. It was posted here a few years ago and I chuckled all day after seeing it. Does anyone have any idea what the name of the movie is?

by Anonymousreply 72February 12, 2023 6:51 PM

For you, R72:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 13, 2023 5:58 AM

R73, thank you for this….lol

by Anonymousreply 74February 13, 2023 12:34 PM

Favorite wheelchair movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 13, 2023 2:19 PM

[quote]Could Eleanor Parker sing?

She was Bacall lite, r58.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 13, 2023 4:34 PM

the used wheelchair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 13, 2023 4:39 PM

I read that Parker sung full voice to the playbacks (of Eileen Farrell) in Interrupted Melody (1955) - the biog. of Marjorie Lawrence (great Australian opera star stricken with polio). So she must have been able to sing, somewhat. I think she sang two solo numbers in the 1969 TV movie, Hans Brinker (as the mother).

by Anonymousreply 78February 13, 2023 5:22 PM

I think it’s time to watch this again.

by Anonymousreply 79July 11, 2023 12:19 AM

Reincarnation of Peter Proud featured Margot Kidder masturbating at the memory of husband Tony Stefano raping her. Of course, she killed him after he tells her he raped her because she bores him.

by Anonymousreply 80July 11, 2023 12:29 AM

Oh, my. This looks awful, even for Michael Sarrazin.

by Anonymousreply 81August 18, 2023 12:25 AM

This clip, which I saw first here on DL, NEVER gets old.

by Anonymousreply 82August 18, 2023 12:29 AM

I got halfway through this last night. It's fun.

No idea why Gayle Hunnicutt didn't become a bigger star. Great looks, great voice, definite screen presence. She reminds me of a cross between Sharon Tate and Nancy Kovack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 20, 2023 3:32 AM

This looks like an abomination. I must watch it immediately.

by Anonymousreply 84August 22, 2023 3:19 AM

I watched it this weekend. It was pretty well done for what it was. It kept my interest. Parker really reminds me of latter era Faye Dunaway in this one. I had never noticed the resemeblance before. Sarrazin was the best part of the whole movie. A little strange looking ala Malcolm McDowell, and therefore very much of that era. I can see why he, like McDowell didn't maintain his status as film changed in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 85August 22, 2023 4:06 AM

Whatever you do DO NOT criticize Eleanor Parker's wardrobe in The Sound of Music here.

Back in the 20th Century I just got on the internet and found DataLounge.

I happened to say I thought the Baroness' gowns were all a bit tight and had dumb flounces on the hip. I was castigated here by at least 25 posters and almost run out of town on a rail.

by Anonymousreply 86August 22, 2023 2:43 PM

Baroness Shrader’s flounces inspired Carrie Bradshaw’s flower brooches.

by Anonymousreply 87August 23, 2023 11:33 AM

How did Eleanor Parker take this role away from Joan Crawford?

Can you imagine how wonderful Joan would've been in this part?

by Anonymousreply 88August 23, 2023 11:43 AM

Didn't Joan already play this part in Baby Jane...though Blanche had to pretend to be a bit more noble and less bitchy than Parker's character

by Anonymousreply 89August 24, 2023 4:19 AM

Kassia is really dead now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 4, 2023 11:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!