Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do Any of You Sleep Through New Year’s Eve Into New Year’s Day?

Do any of you just sleep through the countdown and ball drop?

by Anonymousreply 38January 2, 2023 2:38 PM

Yes. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2022 9:15 PM

No. I usually make to 10 at least when we're alone.

This year, we have guests and good champagne, so I guess I'm staying up till midnight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 31, 2022 9:18 PM

Well, if balls drop.

by Anonymousreply 3December 31, 2022 9:21 PM

Yes. Since I'm alone I don't give a damn. Tomorrow I will visit my parents.

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2022 9:24 PM

every year for at least 20 years now.

Tacky people being loud and drunk is not my thing.

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2022 9:45 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 6December 31, 2022 9:51 PM

The last time I watched the ball drop the Baja Men were performing their hit “Who Let The Dogs Out.”

by Anonymousreply 7December 31, 2022 9:56 PM

[quote]people having fun is not my thing

FTFY

by Anonymousreply 8December 31, 2022 9:59 PM

alone (this year) again, naturally.

don't care about watching the ball drop and no longer drink. i'm just going to get a few movies on Amazon prime, eat junk food and go to sleep whenever. tomorrow i'm baking some bread to go with some split pea soup i'll be making.

by Anonymousreply 9December 31, 2022 9:59 PM

Yes. I'm over NYE.

by Anonymousreply 10December 31, 2022 10:03 PM

I hate change so I would purposely fall asleep to avoid the new year. Don't care much about this holiday.

by Anonymousreply 11December 31, 2022 10:10 PM

Never been a big NYE fan. I usually watch the ball drop but tonight I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 12December 31, 2022 10:12 PM

I have a golden memory of spending New Year's Eve in Time Square on my first visit to NYC. I'm good with that.

by Anonymousreply 13December 31, 2022 10:13 PM

It's just an arbitrary point in the Earth's orbit that is used as an excuse to get wasted. I enjoyed it in my 20s, but since I hit my 40s I prefer a good night's sleep. Some years I get woken up by fireworks.

by Anonymousreply 14December 31, 2022 10:28 PM

When I was a kid, I was so excited to stay up until midnight. Now...meh...that's what I do many nights of the year. I figure that the year will be there for me when I wake up on the 1st. I definitely don't want to drive sharing the road with all those people who have been drinking.

by Anonymousreply 15December 31, 2022 11:19 PM

[quote] No. I usually make to 10 at least when we're alone.

So you usually sleep through it but not tonight.

by Anonymousreply 16December 31, 2022 11:25 PM

The new year started in March at one time. Let’s go back to that.

by Anonymousreply 17December 31, 2022 11:25 PM

R8 people can have fun without being total hogs.

by Anonymousreply 18January 1, 2023 12:35 AM

I'm grown up. I can get drunk in the comfort of my own home and have a bathroom. I'm watching Persuasion right now and don't care about all the shit on TV or the ball drop.

by Anonymousreply 19January 1, 2023 12:45 AM

I doubt I will be asleep at midnight as the fireworks have already started in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 20January 1, 2023 12:55 AM

So glad to have moved out of a neighborhood wherein the neighbors don't find it necessary to set off fireworks.

I've watching Dangerous Liaisons.

by Anonymousreply 21January 1, 2023 1:10 AM

^^I'm watching Dangerous Liaisons

While having my feet massaged and heated with a Christmas gift I received.

by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2023 1:12 AM

I watched the 9pm fireworks from my balcony, was asleep by 9:30, briefly woken up at midnight, rolled over and back to sleep in 5 minutes, woke up at 7:30 and was having my first surf of the year at 8am.

Just the way that I’d planned it.

by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2023 1:14 AM

I stay up. And, yes, text or call or Zoom with cousins and call my parent at midnight to exchange NY wishes. But I agree that I think it's a melancholy occasion for many: It reminds me that we're turning 1 additional year longer and farther away from any wonderful memories, former relationships, or deceased loved ones/relatives that we lost and left in our past. I get very sentimental...then by New Year's Day in the evening, I've ripped down and stowed away every fcuking Holidays decoration or reminder anywhere throughout my house! :D

by Anonymousreply 24January 2, 2023 12:55 AM

For the past 20 years or so, yes I've slept through it. Except last night I watched the 'Call the Midwives' Christmas special I DVRd last week, and it finished at 11:45 - so I figured I'd watch CNN for the last 15 minutes or so and watch the ball drop. What a mistake that was...

by Anonymousreply 25January 2, 2023 12:58 AM

[quote] I watched the 9pm fireworks from my balcony

9pm?

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2023 1:50 AM

No, I still have friends and live near people I like. I have a spouse too. We both love the holidays and enjoy socializing.

by Anonymousreply 27January 2, 2023 1:56 AM

I didn’t sleep through it but was busy cleaning the kitchen floor. I looked up and it was 12:10

by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2023 1:57 AM

R26 in Sydney there are two sets of NYE fireworks - 9pm targeted at families who just want to see the fireworks and get the kids home and midnight for everybody else. There are over a million people around the harbour for the main event so it makes sense to split it.

People camp out from early morning and spend the day in the mid-summer sun waiting, eating and drinking. There’s nothing that I would rather do less.

by Anonymousreply 29January 2, 2023 2:21 AM

^R29, best places to be are on the North side of the harbour to watch at Midnight. We're in Cremorne and just walk to the wharf. Yes there's plenty of people but it's easy to get out. We stopped doing the City side years ago. The old saying applies, when you've seen one, you've seen them all.

by Anonymousreply 30January 2, 2023 3:01 AM

I have never particularly cared for NYE because it has always seemed to be a forced celebration. You are SUPPOSED to have a wonderfully fun and simply marvelously great time. But so often, the night regularly disappoints and turns out to be just obnoxious people acting dreadfully while getting drunk or high — which most people hardly need an excuse to do.

This year I attended a few parties with friends, who I love dearly, but I could have just as easily stayed home.

Eh, maybe next year.

by Anonymousreply 31January 2, 2023 3:04 AM

I was on the toilet heard the turd drop and had a very relieving New Year’s Eve. It was a heated seat too.

by Anonymousreply 32January 2, 2023 4:00 AM

I go to bed even earlier on New Years eve.

by Anonymousreply 33January 2, 2023 4:48 AM

[quote] in Sydney there are two sets of NYE fireworks - 9pm targeted at families who just want to see the fireworks and get the kids home and midnight for everybody else.

Wow, that’s accommodating!

by Anonymousreply 34January 2, 2023 1:32 PM

At least you have an excuse for missing the ball drop, unlike Don Lemon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 2, 2023 2:02 PM

Not yet but I think I'm getting there. I've long since sworn of going out since bars are hellish for the hour running up to midnight, and the parties my friends host have a lot more of their kids running round than they used to.

by Anonymousreply 36January 2, 2023 2:15 PM

I'm in St. Louis.

The gunfire prevents it.

by Anonymousreply 37January 2, 2023 2:19 PM

Slept right through it.

With all the crazies out, NYE, drunk people, and violent nutbags do not make a good combination, so was definitely not going to go out into that mess.

by Anonymousreply 38January 2, 2023 2:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!