Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Katie Couric

Am I alone in never understanding how she went from basically a puff piece morning show host to being fast tracked to becoming the next Cronkite? She always seemed incredibly dumb. It reminds me of James Corden. Like, wtf? How did these people get high profile jobs all of a sudden?

by Anonymousreply 74October 10, 2023 8:01 PM

She was. At CBS, she constantly had to have people tell her the most basic things about how government works, etc. it was embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2022 10:58 AM

Another story: Katie’s first Christmas in the CBS anchor chair coincided with the financial meltdown. Networks cancelled their holiday parties.

At NBC and ABC, the anchors picked up at least part of the tab to throw a party.

Not our Katie. She took another approach. There was no big party, but one day in her office, she threw a catered bash for her inner circle at lunch time, complete with champagne and gifts, while the little people watched from outside.

As one producer observed, other anchors have serious anchors “and we just have a cunt in a chair.”

by Anonymousreply 2December 31, 2022 11:17 AM

I never understood it either. She certainly didn't have the gravitas of a Cronkite or Pelley. I think it was that CBS wanted a woman in the anchor chair, she had a high Q score, and she'd been screwed by NBC.

by Anonymousreply 3December 31, 2022 11:47 AM

Perky, not too attractive being too pretty pisses women and incels off. The death of her husband is a soothing backstory for basic bitches who find this relatable.

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2022 11:52 AM

Being too smart, too educated and too accomplished also makes Americans feel badly about their life choices.

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2022 11:55 AM

[quote]Am I alone in never understanding how she went from basically a puff piece morning show host to being fast tracked to becoming the next Cronkite?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 31, 2022 12:01 PM

I had a friend who worked with her and said she was incredibly arrogant and quite stupid. Producers would prepare binders for her to read before interviews with politicians and she would never even open them.

by Anonymousreply 7December 31, 2022 12:36 PM

Her voice and face are grating. She is not soothing like Diane Sawyer or Jane Pauley, or even charming like Barbara Walters.

by Anonymousreply 8December 31, 2022 12:51 PM

The funniest part of the Palin-Couric interviews was that both parties were total morons who had risen far above where they should have actually landed due to having much more competent folks around to tell them what to do.

by Anonymousreply 9December 31, 2022 1:01 PM

[quote] Am I alone in never understanding how she went from basically a puff piece morning show host to being fast tracked to becoming the next Cronkite?

Katie had been a little more serious news-oriented early in her career. She was the backup Pentagon correspondent for NBC before she went to the Today show. But as the years went on, the Today show became less newsy and more light and fluffy.

When CBS brought her on board to anchor the evening news, I don't think they wanted her to be "the next Cronkite." They wanted to take the evening news in a new direction, and they thought she would attract a younger audience. Of course, it was a stupid move because young people will never watch the evening news. Instead, CBS simply pissed off its older, loyal viewers.

by Anonymousreply 10December 31, 2022 1:08 PM

Katie's initial scoop at CBS was getting pics of the newly born Suri Cruise. I can see Cronkite doing the same.

by Anonymousreply 11December 31, 2022 1:26 PM

According to an acquaintance who worked with Katie at NBC, she became increasingly arrogant and demanding as her star rose on the Today show - all as her designer heels got higher and higher. They learned to hide from Katie as they heard the click-clack of her tottering around 30 Rock in her expensive Manolo's.

This person said that Katie, became such a nightmare to deal with that she just stopped picking up the phone when Katie's name showed up on the caller ID.

by Anonymousreply 12December 31, 2022 1:36 PM

[quote]Katie's initial scoop at CBS was getting pics of the newly born Suri Cruise. I can see Cronkite doing the same.

Katie Couric (attempting to exude gravitas): The flash apparently official, Tom Cruise's new daughter Suri has been born at 1 p.m. Central Standard Time - 2 o'clock Eastern Standard Time - some 38 minutes ago.

by Anonymousreply 13December 31, 2022 1:46 PM

R11, this is sad. Who really needed to know that?

R2. That gesture confuses. Why throw a party in the office instead of taking your friends to a favorite restaurant? Very classless. Rude.

by Anonymousreply 14December 31, 2022 1:49 PM

R5 Did you learn "feel badly" from Judge Judy?

by Anonymousreply 15December 31, 2022 1:49 PM

At 30 Rock, when Katie came down the hall, everyone closed their doors.

by Anonymousreply 16December 31, 2022 1:50 PM

[quote]That gesture confuses. Why throw a party in the office instead of taking your friends to a favorite restaurant? Very classless. Rude.

That's our Katie, clueless and rude.

As she became successful, she changed everything that had made her relatable -

Got oversized caps to cover her gummy smile Threw out her Dress Barn wardrobe to wear designer originals Lost her normal mom figure to become nearly anorexic Went from mousy brown to expensive blonde highlights and lowlights

by Anonymousreply 17December 31, 2022 1:54 PM

This reminds me of my former managers who got all dressed up to have a holiday dinner at a fabled, high-end restaurant. The lower level staff, like myself weren't invited. They looked proud to exclude us.

It irritated me to be excluded, but I managed to keep my sarcastic comments to myself.

This fabled restaurant was infamous for being overrun with rats, the rat infestation made the local news a few years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 18December 31, 2022 1:54 PM

And after all that mess, r17 no one hears about her or Bryan Gumball who also has a reputation for being a c word.

We have short attention spans.

by Anonymousreply 19December 31, 2022 1:58 PM

[quote]This reminds me of my former managers who got all dressed up to have a holiday dinner at a fabled, high-end restaurant. The lower level staff, like myself weren't invited. They looked proud to exclude us.

At an office where I once worked, they would all show up dressed to the nines for their expensive Christmas lunch.

At around 11 am, we'd see them troop up to the executive floor, where they'd enjoy a pre-lunch Christmas party, complete with hors d'oeuvres. Then they'd go to lunch at an expensive restaurant, get completely plastered, and none of them would return to the office.

About 3 or 4 hours later, their executive administrative assistants would bring down their picked-over party hors d'oeuvres and quite generously encourage us to "enjoy this holiday feast".

They'd put out the used hors d'oeuvres on a table near our rotation schedule for working through the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 20December 31, 2022 2:07 PM

No wonder so many people hate the holiday season, r20. It can be ugly.

by Anonymousreply 21December 31, 2022 2:11 PM

Katie's not dumb. She was a smart DC reporter and could do the work. But once NBC had her on Today and put her in the more "emotionally relatable" role she lost that edge.

She probably let her ego get in the way and I could see her ignoring help and support from others. But she's not stupid.

She was terribly miscast at CBS, but to be honest she was a damn sight better than Whorah O'Donnell, who is all of the things Katie was there minus even a semblance of warmth or curiosity.

I'm not a fan but I find her low key fascinating. Read her book and I think she's a closeted dyke.

by Anonymousreply 22December 31, 2022 2:20 PM

In her book "Going There" she explains how she chose the CBS job because of feminism! And this being a win for women! First lady in the anchor chair! Blah blah blah. She wasn't interested in the job itself. She just wanted to go down in history for women! Feminism!

by Anonymousreply 23December 31, 2022 2:28 PM

Un huh. You are reading the news from a teleprompter. Badly. You are not reporting. Reporting is work. Reading from the teleprompter is less work. There is a huge story involving a fake Republican congressional candidate, even his name is fake. News media is barely covering this but the public needs to know all about intimate details of Hunter Bidens personal life?

These news readers are paid too much money to do nothing.

by Anonymousreply 24December 31, 2022 2:36 PM

The fake congressman is a continuing story about the erosion of American democracy brought to you by the J6 terrorists. The news media is not interested in American democracy. They are interested in Tom Cruise and his baby mama?

We are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 25December 31, 2022 2:46 PM

Katie Couric and Paula Zahn; Irk!

by Anonymousreply 26December 31, 2022 2:52 PM

Ann Curry. Ha. She openly stated 9/11 spurred her interest in real reporting.

by Anonymousreply 27December 31, 2022 2:56 PM

Katie’s short lived talk show was a veritable shit show.

by Anonymousreply 28December 31, 2022 3:15 PM

DL will enjoy this one. Maybe 15 years ago she picked up a (way too) young guy in the Hamptons, who said she liked eating his ass! (The guy was a friend of a friend.)

by Anonymousreply 29December 31, 2022 3:18 PM

I liked Katie so you all can fuck off. I liked perky on the today show. It worked for years and years and years at the #1 spot. So there must have been something to the combination of she and Matt and poor old Al.

by Anonymousreply 30December 31, 2022 3:22 PM

She is petty, arrogant and cruel…. Which made her memoir one of the best ever! She attacks everyone! Her nanny! Her dead husband! Ex boyfriends! Scores of underlings! Matt Lauer! Everyone attached to 60 Minutes!

by Anonymousreply 31December 31, 2022 3:31 PM

^ I like corned beef and cabbage, but it gives me the shits.

by Anonymousreply 32December 31, 2022 3:32 PM

Les Moonves is to blame for Katie at CBS. He and Julie Chen wined and dined her, It speaks volumes as to what CBS had become at the time. Larry Tisch had his crush on Diane Sawyer, mostly because she wore pearls and exuded class, Katie seemed very food court to me.

In an effort to show she wanted to showcase women reporters, Katie showed Lara Logan a lot - initially; then she got jealous when big wigs started talking Logan up and suddenly she was seen less.

by Anonymousreply 33December 31, 2022 3:43 PM

CUNT

by Anonymousreply 34December 31, 2022 3:45 PM

She was going on Letterman in the midst of the mortgage crisis and needed people to give her notes on what a mortgage is, I kid you not.

Lazy, unpleasant, petty and unkind.

by Anonymousreply 35December 31, 2022 3:59 PM

Couric started as a desk assistant at CNN

Then reported on drug crime in Miami for 3 years

Then reported on crime in Washington for three years

Then became Deputy Pentagon correspondent for NBC News for a year

Then spent six months in Kuwait reporting on Desert Storm

and you are calling that experience "Puff journalism"?

by Anonymousreply 36December 31, 2022 4:02 PM

R33, Katie revealed in her autobiography that Les Moonves has very bad breath.

by Anonymousreply 37December 31, 2022 4:06 PM

R33, William Paley had a major crush on Diane Sawyer.

by Anonymousreply 38December 31, 2022 4:08 PM

[quote]Katie revealed in her autobiography that Les Moonves has very bad breath.

You think his breath is bad...you should smell his ass.

by Anonymousreply 39December 31, 2022 4:12 PM

R37 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 31, 2022 4:13 PM

[quote] As one producer observed, other anchors have serious anchors “and we just have a cunt in a chair.”

They always say that about women news anchors, and the language there is telling.

I have yet to hear any woman nightly news anchor for any of the major networks praised for genuine talent, professionalism, and/or intelligence. That cannot be coincidental.

by Anonymousreply 41December 31, 2022 4:13 PM

R41, that was uttered by a woman, so nice try!

Katie is a terrible, entitled person who worked hard early in her career then became lazy

by Anonymousreply 42December 31, 2022 4:30 PM

Katie Couric is a serious journalist like Kathie Lee Gifford.

by Anonymousreply 43December 31, 2022 4:31 PM

[quote] [R41], that was uttered by a woman, so nice try!

So? Women can be misogynistic just as men can be.

Feeble try on your part.

by Anonymousreply 44December 31, 2022 4:32 PM

Katie scored some choice dick after Jay died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 31, 2022 4:34 PM

R44 Yeah and women can be misandrist, homophobic cunts. Be a gay man who doesn’t play the little faggot court jester role in the workplace and you’ll get it 10x worse than any woman ever has. Oh and it’ll be the women who are the absolute worst to you.

by Anonymousreply 46December 31, 2022 4:36 PM

A sawed-off, gummy smile, stank breath, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 47December 31, 2022 4:37 PM

She showed her colon to the world.

by Anonymousreply 48December 31, 2022 4:38 PM

R44 no one gives a fuck about the “misogyny” label anymore, except women who want to pull the gender card to escape any criticism. Lots of women seem to have some weird notion that they should never be criticized. We criticize tons of men and rip them apart on DL and in society, but you all seem to forget that as soon as any woman is critiqued.

by Anonymousreply 49December 31, 2022 4:39 PM

Game recognizes game. Her scoop with Sarah Palin was just that.

by Anonymousreply 50December 31, 2022 4:44 PM

Her scoop with Pailin was accidental. She didn’t even realize what she got. (The questions were written for her, by the way.)

by Anonymousreply 51December 31, 2022 5:13 PM

R36, and then sold her soul and bonafides to do puff bullshit on TODAY. When she wanted to be taken seriously again, it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 52January 1, 2023 1:17 AM

She a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 53January 1, 2023 3:25 AM

I loved that nanny's response to being bitched about in KC's book: she revealed that KC would pick her nose throughout the night and line up the boogers on her pillow!

Don't fuck with the nanny!

by Anonymousreply 54January 1, 2023 1:22 PM

Because actually oP she is very smart and my guess is that you know squat about her career, or else you are the dumb one or both!

by Anonymousreply 55January 1, 2023 1:45 PM

R54, And, Katie would turn her used underwear inside out and wear it again rather than put on a fresh pair of panties.

by Anonymousreply 56January 1, 2023 1:48 PM

Yuck

by Anonymousreply 57January 1, 2023 2:33 PM

Very smart? No one who has worked with her could listen to that with a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 58January 1, 2023 2:52 PM

Hi Katie/r55!

by Anonymousreply 59January 1, 2023 3:33 PM

[quote]Her voice and face are grating. She is not soothing like Diane Sawyer or Jane Pauley

Why should a woman anchor be soothing? Is this a mommy thing?

by Anonymousreply 60January 1, 2023 5:09 PM

I borrowed her audio book from the library. I'm skipping chapters. She's insufferable. The introduction has an anecdote about running into a fan in a department store. Fan gushed over how Katie was even better-looking in person and how Katie's skin was so very nice.

When Katie was 30, she had dinner (went on a date?) with Larry King. They went back to his apartment, sat on his couch, and Larry made his move. Katie said: I'm looking for someone more my age. Larry took it well, said something like: I know what I like when I see it!

I'll report back with anecdotes that haven't been talked about very much.

by Anonymousreply 61January 1, 2023 6:07 PM

R61, 30 is too old to go back to someone's house after dinner if you're not interested.

She sounded disgusting r54. Wasn't there something about her skipping showers some days?

And people came out of the woodwork about how she'd go into dress shops and bully the salespeople into giving her outfits for free or at a cut-price rate. In a country like the US where service employees need to be tipped, that seems particularly greedy.

by Anonymousreply 62January 1, 2023 10:42 PM

Amazing how many celebs pull that shit.

Friend of a friend owned a shop in LA where Sharon Stone allegedly brought $2k+ of home furnishings to the register and was shocked and outraged when the shop owner insisted on CHARGING her for the items. She told him it would help his business to be able to say that Sharon was a client, apparently. He didn’t budge.

Suddenly, she wasn’t so interested in the merchandise and turned heel and left.

That’s what I was told.

by Anonymousreply 63January 1, 2023 10:52 PM

The madness of that, r63, is how would he communicate to other customers that SS shopped there? And even if he flat out dropped her name all the time, who would be swayed?

by Anonymousreply 64January 1, 2023 11:04 PM

I think that Sharon wanted a nice discount and didn't get it. C'mon, nobody expects to pay nothing. My MIL(a pushy broad) used to ask "what's the discount?", not "can I have a discount?" She always assumed. And, she always got one (usually).

by Anonymousreply 65January 1, 2023 11:09 PM

I understand wanting a change and especially not waking up so early, but she really should have stayed at Today. She was really good in that role, had a ton of influence, and got to interview more people than in the anchor role.

by Anonymousreply 66January 2, 2023 3:49 AM

R10 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 67January 2, 2023 4:24 AM

I realize Katie being a cunt when she Sasser Bey about her name coming first on their one on one. This was around the baby gate era when people were saying Bey wasn't really pregnant. She made it seem like a joke, but was dead ass.

by Anonymousreply 68January 2, 2023 4:30 AM

I couldn't get through her book. She's insufferable, thinks really highly of herself.

The only thing I can add is that she had pretty good things to say about Bryant Gumbel.

by Anonymousreply 69January 3, 2023 3:35 AM

What was up with the boogers detail at R54? Why would Katie pick her boogers in bed at night and line them up on the pillow to save for the morning? Was that her hobby? Does Katie have a booger fetish? Did she enjoy collecting them, counting them, saving them, comparing the size and shape and colors? Did she put them directly on the pillow or on a tissue on the pillow? Where they a trophy of sorts for the maid to find? Was Katie proving something to the maid or nanny by leaving them boogers to find? Or were the boogers a way to replace her spouse, something to take up space in the bed beside her, to prove she existed and mattered?

by Anonymousreply 70January 3, 2023 8:16 AM

Okay now we have a booger troll and I have truly seen it all.

She probably was just too lazy to get up and properly dispose of it, Booger Troll. So she deposited it on her pillow.

by Anonymousreply 71January 3, 2023 8:48 AM

No tissue, r70. Straight on the pillow. Maybe she had OCD.

by Anonymousreply 72January 3, 2023 9:57 AM

That little trollerette is nas-tay!

Probably blows her nose on her sheets.

by Anonymousreply 73January 3, 2023 10:13 AM

Lovely Katie Couric eulogy - starting at 7:26 - given today on behalf of a friend (& former CNN producer colleague) of over 40 years. Do not watch if easily triggered by lecherous Irving R. Levine stories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 10, 2023 8:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!