Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Aftersun”- did any of you watch it?

I just finished watching this absolutely beautiful, poignant film, and I couldn’t help but wonder if any of you watched it. It’s a very quiet, slow movie, so if you are someone who needs fast shots and big things happening, this isn’t for you. Paul Mescal gives such a poignant, subtle, understated but beautiful performance.

It’s about an 11 year old girl who goes on a holiday to Turkey with her 30 year old father, who is turning 31. The film takes place 20 years later, with a now 31 year old Sophie remembering that Holiday she took with her father 20 years earlier, and the last time she saw him (from what I gathered). Sophie lives with her mother, as her father and mother divorced, and she has a very distant relationship with her father, who she wants to feel close to and he pretends to as much as he can but she can tell he’s going through his own personal struggles (financially and personally).

It’s such an interesting film with such a beautiful performance from Paul Mescal. While I doubt he will get nominated, I would love to see him get an Oscar nod for this. He didn’t get in at the Globes but he did the Critics Choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 31, 2023 1:52 AM

I did see this movie, it was interesting , I wish they had more context to what situation the father got into the night he got drunk and ended up naked in bed.

by Anonymousreply 1December 23, 2022 9:26 PM

R1 I don’t think there was any situation. That was the night he went up to bed early and his daughter didn’t wanna come. He fell asleep early and she was locked out.

Maybe he had some drinks but I don’t think there was much there to think of.

by Anonymousreply 2December 23, 2022 9:32 PM

And Mescal dong in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 3December 23, 2022 9:40 PM

R3 no.

by Anonymousreply 4December 23, 2022 9:50 PM

Any gay content or themes?

by Anonymousreply 5December 23, 2022 10:07 PM

the father is handsome and has a nice ass R5

by Anonymousreply 6December 23, 2022 10:10 PM

R5 no. Because the world doesn’t revolve around us. I said what the movies about. A father and daughter. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 7December 23, 2022 10:12 PM

So what are his personal struggles

by Anonymousreply 8December 23, 2022 10:13 PM

R8 wait… you think sexuality is the only struggle someone can have?

by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2022 10:15 PM

R8 men and women can have many issues in life that have nothing to do with sexuality. Maybe you should get off the internet and go out into the real world. Clearly the internet is doing you zero favors.

by Anonymousreply 10December 24, 2022 1:24 AM

Paul Mescal is lovely. I need to watch him in other projects.

by Anonymousreply 11December 24, 2022 7:59 PM

Such an odd film. There's a lot to respect in this - raw and creative cinematography, perfect acting, clever and observant script. But those detail describe a well crafted "small" film. Yet the film had such emotional power. The total way more than the sum of its parts.

by Anonymousreply 12December 26, 2022 12:13 AM

R12 the girl who plays the daughter was wonderful, but Paul Mescal really kept me interested. He was so good. I loved this small film. I didn’t expect to.

by Anonymousreply 13December 26, 2022 12:17 AM

Raw and creative cinematography, prefect acting, clear and observant script, such emotional power, and made me ravenous to lick Mescal's shitter.

by Anonymousreply 14December 26, 2022 12:35 AM

R 10 is spot on. Stating the obvious but nobody cares

by Anonymousreply 15December 26, 2022 12:35 AM

R10 you’re a jerk

by Anonymousreply 16December 26, 2022 1:05 AM

It's a beautiful film. Really moving.

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2022 1:16 PM

R16 It trolls a lot - block worthy

by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2022 1:19 PM

It was a beautiful film - I found it heartbreaking - even though it was so well done, I could never watch it again!

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2022 1:24 PM

Does he show his cock?

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2022 1:27 PM

R20 Already that failed attempt at R3.

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2022 1:30 PM

I do not, and r10 is still a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2022 1:38 PM

Why do I get the impression one of the posters on here hasn’t even watched it?

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2022 4:25 PM

Since I probably will never see it, could someone just provide spoilers:

Why is this trip the last time sophie sees Calum? Does he die or does he simply exit her life?

What is the significance of the rave scenes and the ending of his walking into the room with the rave?

What is the takeaway regarding theme?

by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2022 4:42 PM

Thank you for sharing this, OP! I love films like this - it's definitely on my 'must watch' list for the coming weeks.

by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2022 4:50 PM

Wasn't there stories of Mescal being a homophobic bully in drama school?

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2022 4:59 PM

R24 One of its virtues is not supplying easy answers. None of your questions have clear answers,

I just assumed he committed suicide, but that was not shown in the least. Like great poetry, it's not what you make of the film, but rather what the film makes of you.

by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2022 6:15 PM

R27 is right. We can only assume what might have happened. But we will never know. We only know that he is severely depressed, hurting and broke, and he has made many mistakes. We also know that he adores his daughter. We see him crying at one point. He runs away one night and looks like he might have died that night (I know that he comes back to the room but....we never see him getting out of the water on a very dark, windy night). And that, whatever happened to her father, she might never get over what happened. It is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2022 6:24 PM

He saw her off at the airport so we know he was still alive then.

by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2022 6:29 PM

Yes, but did you realize how strange the background was when he finished filming? Also, since it deals with her memory (even though there are recordings, they are still memories) we are never sure what is what or when is when. It is a puzzle that is missing too may pieces for ours to solve.

by Anonymousreply 30December 27, 2022 6:35 PM

Spoiler alert (or rather, interpretation alert):

R28 R29 The scenes were not chronologically arranged always. Cuts back and forth in time. The scene of his walking off into the dark tide was presented as his "lost night" where he left her locked out of the room... but I took it to be what happened after he left her at the airport. He went back to the resort. The darkness overwhelmed him.

by Anonymousreply 31December 27, 2022 6:39 PM

One of the few times I’m happy to see spoilers.

The trailer didn’t get me interested in seeing this film but I thought I might check it out on streaming but after reading about it here I’m definitely not going to watch.

by Anonymousreply 32December 27, 2022 6:44 PM

R27 there isn’t an ounce of implication he committed suicide. He just cut ties with her and her mom.

by Anonymousreply 33December 27, 2022 7:42 PM

[quote]Interspersed throughout the film are strobe-lit dance rave sequences featuring a crowd of dancing people, Calum in a stupor dancing, and a confused adult Sophie watching the rave unfold from afar. She attempts multiple times to close the distance between herself and Calum but fails, and an adult Sophie appears and angrily pushes her father over when she reaches him.

[quote]Later, Calum and Sophie are at the airport, signalling the end of their holiday and the last moment they spend in each other’s presence. He, waving goodbye, sends her off on her flight back home to her mother. Calum then turns around and walks down the hallway to the room of the dance rave.

Any interpretations of the importances of the raves?

Also, how does the title, Aftersun, fit in?

by Anonymousreply 34December 27, 2022 7:59 PM

R33 the man is depressed. When his daughter sings happy birthday, he is very uncomfortable, and he cries when he is alone. I am not saying that he has committed suicide, but it is not out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 35December 27, 2022 8:00 PM

He is happy when he isn’t with her. He feels no connection to her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 36December 27, 2022 8:01 PM

I think it's rather heavily implied he kills himself.

by Anonymousreply 37December 27, 2022 9:10 PM

I think it’s heavily implied he said goodbye and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 38December 27, 2022 9:39 PM

The young actress playing Sophie deserves an Oscar for this.

by Anonymousreply 39December 27, 2022 10:37 PM

Good lord OP. I actually followed this thread and watched the film a few minutes ago. This one made me cry. If you ever possibly had a single parent or a

parent die when you were young, I think this film will have special meaning.. There are alot of times now where I think about my mother/father and how they

dealt with certain things, and even wanted to wake up in the morning.. (and I have far more respect for them now as I get into my forties)

This was an outstanding film.

There are a lot signs and some really beautiful symbolism, etc..

There is pretty much no doubt for me what happened to the dad.

I even just checked out the WIkI page, and I think it explains the film as good as anyone can.

That one scene toward the end of the dad alone really got me, as well as the very subtle shot of the meditation books, etc..

One of the best films I have seen in years.

by Anonymousreply 40December 29, 2022 12:21 AM

Mescal on Graham Norton alluded to his character as having mental problems.

by Anonymousreply 41January 4, 2023 8:15 PM

Mescal was spotted out with Angelina

by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2023 8:18 PM

Interesting but lethargic film that is nowhere near the MASTERPIECE it's been touted to be since Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 43January 4, 2023 8:42 PM

This person thinks Mescal’s character may have been queer. But don’t all gay men assume that with everyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2023 2:38 AM

“In an ideal world, best actor would be between Paul Mescal and Colin Farrell this awards season”

Agreed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 8, 2023 2:41 AM

“Lee Byung-hun in I Saw the Devil Paul Mescal in Aftersun Two internalized performances that set up an emotional trap on you, and then release it so, so powerfully.”

Has anyone watched I Saw The Devil? Was it good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 8, 2023 2:46 AM

I would love Mescal to at least get nominated.

For whatever reason this film gets into your bones- and he really had a charisma of a star in this film.

by Anonymousreply 47January 8, 2023 3:54 AM

R44 — aha !

R5 and r8

by Anonymousreply 48January 8, 2023 4:23 AM

Paul Mescal for James Bond?

by Anonymousreply 49January 9, 2023 6:16 PM

R49 that’s a rumor.

by Anonymousreply 50January 9, 2023 7:55 PM

Months ago the director, Charlotte Wells, posted a picture of her and her dad when they were on vacation in Turkey. He was about 31 years old and she was about 11 years old. The characters in the movie are a fair approximation of the real characters in this picture. The picture is posted at link, but you may have to click into it to see the entire picture(s).

I can't find anything where she states clearly what happened to her father, but she seems to refer to him in the past tense in interviews and press junkets for the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2023 7:05 AM

Here's the source for the information on the real picture of her and her father. From Charlotte:

[quote] This film is unmistakably fiction, but within it is a truth that is mine; a love that is mine. Photos, videos—records of different types—are enclosed in the film and so it felt appropriate to enclose one here. A photograph of my dad and of me—the starting point for this project—each a single shot because photos of us both are in short supply in that pre-selfie era. I am 10 or 11, Sophie’s age in the film. My Dad is 31 or 32, a little younger than I am now. We happen to be in Turkey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2023 7:07 AM

Adult Sophie is a lesbian with a partner and child so there's some gay content.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2023 5:51 PM

I got teary eyed when I saw Paul received that Oscar nom. Much deserved for such a beautiful, poignant, understated performance. He was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2023 9:13 PM

R54- I am thrilled for him-

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2023 1:45 AM

The linked video compares the Aftersun script to the last 6 minutes of the movie.

IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE MOVIE YET, don’t watch the video and skip this post. You’ll never get the impact of the scene without seeing what comes before it in the film.

IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE, you may be interested in this presentation of the end of the film with the script comparison. It reveals a couple of interesting things:

The script makes it clearer what adult Sophie is doing while dancing with the memory of her father. It’s sometimes hard to make out her reactions in the strobe lights of the rave.

Also, the script doesn’t end with the last scene used in the movie. The script includes two small scenes that were to follow the movie’s last scene, but they were eventually discarded. They apparently decided it was too hard to add anything to the final scene in the movie where Calum walks down the airport hallway, opens the double doors, and enters his daughter’s everlasting memory. The audience is left alone in that cold, florescent lit hallway, staring at the strobe-light flashes leaking behind the double doors. THE END.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 29, 2023 4:22 AM

What a beautiful, heart-wrenching movie. I adored it, and it will stick with me.

by Anonymousreply 57January 31, 2023 1:43 AM

R57 I loved it too. And I just happened to stumble across it. I never heard of it and saw a photo of it and read what it was about, so I looked it up and rented it on iTunes. I loved it and it really struck a chord with me, and that’s when I made the thread to recommend it to you all. It was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 58January 31, 2023 1:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!