Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Aftersun”- did any of you watch it?

I just finished watching this absolutely beautiful, poignant film, and I couldn’t help but wonder if any of you watched it. It’s a very quiet, slow movie, so if you are someone who needs fast shots and big things happening, this isn’t for you. Paul Mescal gives such a poignant, subtle, understated but beautiful performance.

It’s about an 11 year old girl who goes on a holiday to Turkey with her 30 year old father, who is turning 31. The film takes place 20 years later, with a now 31 year old Sophie remembering that Holiday she took with her father 20 years earlier, and the last time she saw him (from what I gathered). Sophie lives with her mother, as her father and mother divorced, and she has a very distant relationship with her father, who she wants to feel close to and he pretends to as much as he can but she can tell he’s going through his own personal struggles (financially and personally).

It’s such an interesting film with such a beautiful performance from Paul Mescal. While I doubt he will get nominated, I would love to see him get an Oscar nod for this. He didn’t get in at the Globes but he did the Critics Choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 22, 2023 12:40 AM

I did see this movie, it was interesting , I wish they had more context to what situation the father got into the night he got drunk and ended up naked in bed.

by Anonymousreply 1December 23, 2022 8:26 PM

R1 I don’t think there was any situation. That was the night he went up to bed early and his daughter didn’t wanna come. He fell asleep early and she was locked out.

Maybe he had some drinks but I don’t think there was much there to think of.

by Anonymousreply 2December 23, 2022 8:32 PM

And Mescal dong in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 3December 23, 2022 8:40 PM

R3 no.

by Anonymousreply 4December 23, 2022 8:50 PM

Any gay content or themes?

by Anonymousreply 5December 23, 2022 9:07 PM

the father is handsome and has a nice ass R5

by Anonymousreply 6December 23, 2022 9:10 PM

R5 no. Because the world doesn’t revolve around us. I said what the movies about. A father and daughter. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 7December 23, 2022 9:12 PM

So what are his personal struggles

by Anonymousreply 8December 23, 2022 9:13 PM

R8 wait… you think sexuality is the only struggle someone can have?

by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2022 9:15 PM

R8 men and women can have many issues in life that have nothing to do with sexuality. Maybe you should get off the internet and go out into the real world. Clearly the internet is doing you zero favors.

by Anonymousreply 10December 24, 2022 12:24 AM

Paul Mescal is lovely. I need to watch him in other projects.

by Anonymousreply 11December 24, 2022 6:59 PM

Such an odd film. There's a lot to respect in this - raw and creative cinematography, perfect acting, clever and observant script. But those detail describe a well crafted "small" film. Yet the film had such emotional power. The total way more than the sum of its parts.

by Anonymousreply 12December 25, 2022 11:13 PM

R12 the girl who plays the daughter was wonderful, but Paul Mescal really kept me interested. He was so good. I loved this small film. I didn’t expect to.

by Anonymousreply 13December 25, 2022 11:17 PM

Raw and creative cinematography, prefect acting, clear and observant script, such emotional power, and made me ravenous to lick Mescal's shitter.

by Anonymousreply 14December 25, 2022 11:35 PM

R 10 is spot on. Stating the obvious but nobody cares

by Anonymousreply 15December 25, 2022 11:35 PM

R10 you’re a jerk

by Anonymousreply 16December 26, 2022 12:05 AM

It's a beautiful film. Really moving.

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2022 12:16 PM

R16 It trolls a lot - block worthy

by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2022 12:19 PM

It was a beautiful film - I found it heartbreaking - even though it was so well done, I could never watch it again!

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2022 12:24 PM

Does he show his cock?

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2022 12:27 PM

R20 Already that failed attempt at R3.

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2022 12:30 PM

I do not, and r10 is still a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2022 12:38 PM

Why do I get the impression one of the posters on here hasn’t even watched it?

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2022 3:25 PM

Since I probably will never see it, could someone just provide spoilers:

Why is this trip the last time sophie sees Calum? Does he die or does he simply exit her life?

What is the significance of the rave scenes and the ending of his walking into the room with the rave?

What is the takeaway regarding theme?

by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2022 3:42 PM

Thank you for sharing this, OP! I love films like this - it's definitely on my 'must watch' list for the coming weeks.

by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2022 3:50 PM

Wasn't there stories of Mescal being a homophobic bully in drama school?

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2022 3:59 PM

R24 One of its virtues is not supplying easy answers. None of your questions have clear answers,

I just assumed he committed suicide, but that was not shown in the least. Like great poetry, it's not what you make of the film, but rather what the film makes of you.

by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2022 5:15 PM

R27 is right. We can only assume what might have happened. But we will never know. We only know that he is severely depressed, hurting and broke, and he has made many mistakes. We also know that he adores his daughter. We see him crying at one point. He runs away one night and looks like he might have died that night (I know that he comes back to the room but....we never see him getting out of the water on a very dark, windy night). And that, whatever happened to her father, she might never get over what happened. It is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2022 5:24 PM

He saw her off at the airport so we know he was still alive then.

by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2022 5:29 PM

Yes, but did you realize how strange the background was when he finished filming? Also, since it deals with her memory (even though there are recordings, they are still memories) we are never sure what is what or when is when. It is a puzzle that is missing too may pieces for ours to solve.

by Anonymousreply 30December 27, 2022 5:35 PM

Spoiler alert (or rather, interpretation alert):

R28 R29 The scenes were not chronologically arranged always. Cuts back and forth in time. The scene of his walking off into the dark tide was presented as his "lost night" where he left her locked out of the room... but I took it to be what happened after he left her at the airport. He went back to the resort. The darkness overwhelmed him.

by Anonymousreply 31December 27, 2022 5:39 PM

One of the few times I’m happy to see spoilers.

The trailer didn’t get me interested in seeing this film but I thought I might check it out on streaming but after reading about it here I’m definitely not going to watch.

by Anonymousreply 32December 27, 2022 5:44 PM

R27 there isn’t an ounce of implication he committed suicide. He just cut ties with her and her mom.

by Anonymousreply 33December 27, 2022 6:42 PM

[quote]Interspersed throughout the film are strobe-lit dance rave sequences featuring a crowd of dancing people, Calum in a stupor dancing, and a confused adult Sophie watching the rave unfold from afar. She attempts multiple times to close the distance between herself and Calum but fails, and an adult Sophie appears and angrily pushes her father over when she reaches him.

[quote]Later, Calum and Sophie are at the airport, signalling the end of their holiday and the last moment they spend in each other’s presence. He, waving goodbye, sends her off on her flight back home to her mother. Calum then turns around and walks down the hallway to the room of the dance rave.

Any interpretations of the importances of the raves?

Also, how does the title, Aftersun, fit in?

by Anonymousreply 34December 27, 2022 6:59 PM

R33 the man is depressed. When his daughter sings happy birthday, he is very uncomfortable, and he cries when he is alone. I am not saying that he has committed suicide, but it is not out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 35December 27, 2022 7:00 PM

He is happy when he isn’t with her. He feels no connection to her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 36December 27, 2022 7:01 PM

I think it's rather heavily implied he kills himself.

by Anonymousreply 37December 27, 2022 8:10 PM

I think it’s heavily implied he said goodbye and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 38December 27, 2022 8:39 PM

The young actress playing Sophie deserves an Oscar for this.

by Anonymousreply 39December 27, 2022 9:37 PM

Good lord OP. I actually followed this thread and watched the film a few minutes ago. This one made me cry. If you ever possibly had a single parent or a

parent die when you were young, I think this film will have special meaning.. There are alot of times now where I think about my mother/father and how they

dealt with certain things, and even wanted to wake up in the morning.. (and I have far more respect for them now as I get into my forties)

This was an outstanding film.

There are a lot signs and some really beautiful symbolism, etc..

There is pretty much no doubt for me what happened to the dad.

I even just checked out the WIkI page, and I think it explains the film as good as anyone can.

That one scene toward the end of the dad alone really got me, as well as the very subtle shot of the meditation books, etc..

One of the best films I have seen in years.

by Anonymousreply 40December 28, 2022 11:21 PM

Mescal on Graham Norton alluded to his character as having mental problems.

by Anonymousreply 41January 4, 2023 7:15 PM

Mescal was spotted out with Angelina

by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2023 7:18 PM

Interesting but lethargic film that is nowhere near the MASTERPIECE it's been touted to be since Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 43January 4, 2023 7:42 PM

This person thinks Mescal’s character may have been queer. But don’t all gay men assume that with everyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2023 1:38 AM

“In an ideal world, best actor would be between Paul Mescal and Colin Farrell this awards season”

Agreed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 8, 2023 1:41 AM

“Lee Byung-hun in I Saw the Devil Paul Mescal in Aftersun Two internalized performances that set up an emotional trap on you, and then release it so, so powerfully.”

Has anyone watched I Saw The Devil? Was it good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 8, 2023 1:46 AM

I would love Mescal to at least get nominated.

For whatever reason this film gets into your bones- and he really had a charisma of a star in this film.

by Anonymousreply 47January 8, 2023 2:54 AM

R44 — aha !

R5 and r8

by Anonymousreply 48January 8, 2023 3:23 AM

Paul Mescal for James Bond?

by Anonymousreply 49January 9, 2023 5:16 PM

R49 that’s a rumor.

by Anonymousreply 50January 9, 2023 6:55 PM

Months ago the director, Charlotte Wells, posted a picture of her and her dad when they were on vacation in Turkey. He was about 31 years old and she was about 11 years old. The characters in the movie are a fair approximation of the real characters in this picture. The picture is posted at link, but you may have to click into it to see the entire picture(s).

I can't find anything where she states clearly what happened to her father, but she seems to refer to him in the past tense in interviews and press junkets for the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2023 6:05 AM

Here's the source for the information on the real picture of her and her father. From Charlotte:

[quote] This film is unmistakably fiction, but within it is a truth that is mine; a love that is mine. Photos, videos—records of different types—are enclosed in the film and so it felt appropriate to enclose one here. A photograph of my dad and of me—the starting point for this project—each a single shot because photos of us both are in short supply in that pre-selfie era. I am 10 or 11, Sophie’s age in the film. My Dad is 31 or 32, a little younger than I am now. We happen to be in Turkey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2023 6:07 AM

Adult Sophie is a lesbian with a partner and child so there's some gay content.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2023 4:51 PM

I got teary eyed when I saw Paul received that Oscar nom. Much deserved for such a beautiful, poignant, understated performance. He was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2023 8:13 PM

R54- I am thrilled for him-

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2023 12:45 AM

The linked video compares the Aftersun script to the last 6 minutes of the movie.

IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE MOVIE YET, don’t watch the video and skip this post. You’ll never get the impact of the scene without seeing what comes before it in the film.

IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE, you may be interested in this presentation of the end of the film with the script comparison. It reveals a couple of interesting things:

The script makes it clearer what adult Sophie is doing while dancing with the memory of her father. It’s sometimes hard to make out her reactions in the strobe lights of the rave.

Also, the script doesn’t end with the last scene used in the movie. The script includes two small scenes that were to follow the movie’s last scene, but they were eventually discarded. They apparently decided it was too hard to add anything to the final scene in the movie where Calum walks down the airport hallway, opens the double doors, and enters his daughter’s everlasting memory. The audience is left alone in that cold, florescent lit hallway, staring at the strobe-light flashes leaking behind the double doors. THE END.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 29, 2023 3:22 AM

What a beautiful, heart-wrenching movie. I adored it, and it will stick with me.

by Anonymousreply 57January 31, 2023 12:43 AM

R57 I loved it too. And I just happened to stumble across it. I never heard of it and saw a photo of it and read what it was about, so I looked it up and rented it on iTunes. I loved it and it really struck a chord with me, and that’s when I made the thread to recommend it to you all. It was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 58January 31, 2023 12:52 AM

I liked it. It bothers me a little that I didn’t have the same reaction as most of the comments I’ve read. Not sure if I’m getting less sympathetic and more empathic as I get older. I was expecting full-on waterworks, but they never came.

There were several obvious signs that Menscal’s character committed suicide. Through the mundane--yet informative-- conversations with his daughter, we find out A LOT of shit, and if you’re not paying attention, you'll miss it ALL He’s had several failed relationships--personal and business--and is still “working on something with Keith” confirming he’s THAT guy and why he keeps getting dumped. He’s a loser. A good-looking, kind-hearted loser.

The comment about the singing lessons and the “Money that he doesn’t have” and his reaction was a gut punch cause his misfortunes were confirmed through his daughter. Her singing “Losing My Religion” confirms the timeline AND neatly fits into the narrative. His suddenly wearing all Black walking into the ocean, the soulful crying, and the telltale, “Under Pressure” which I always thought is about suicide. I mean…there were so MANY suicide movie tropes that you’re kinda dodging them. Plus her reaction to his death is more in line with that than to his simply dying of natural causes. I assumed that was her lover--not her mother--that she was living with because they were subtle clues about her sexuality.

Wow, before I type that I wasn’t feeling Menscal’s nomination BUT now I get it. He said so much without saying anything.

by Anonymousreply 59February 3, 2023 10:37 AM

FUCK, sorry about how long that is. I just watched it last night and it' s on my mind.

by Anonymousreply 60February 3, 2023 10:37 AM

FUCK p2. Mescal!! Goddam spellcheck

by Anonymousreply 61February 3, 2023 10:49 AM

R59 why would you have feelings about his Oscar without seeing the film? That seems immature.

Also, no one on here labeled it a tear-jerker.

by Anonymousreply 62February 3, 2023 2:11 PM

It was an absolutely note perfect film. Shockingly poignant, original and ultimately heartbreaking. Mescal should win *all* the awards.

by Anonymousreply 63February 3, 2023 2:14 PM

And he obviously committed suicide. Egads some of you are dense.

by Anonymousreply 64February 3, 2023 2:16 PM

[quote]why would you have feelings about his Oscar without seeing the film? That seems immature.

R59 wasn't saying he had thoughts about the Oscar nod without seeing the film. He was saying that he wasn't feeling it immediately after seeing the film, but upon further reflection and typing out his thoughts, he now is feeling it.

[quote]Also, no one on here labeled it a tear-jerker.

Well, I cried.

by Anonymousreply 65February 3, 2023 2:19 PM

R64 it isn’t obvious. You can keep saying it but that doesn’t make it a fact.

by Anonymousreply 66February 3, 2023 2:24 PM

It is implied several times that he took his own life, but it is never discussed or shown.

by Anonymousreply 67February 3, 2023 2:58 PM

R65 Thanks. Crazy how people see something that's just not there. BTW R62 I read a gazillion comments--not reviews-- on various websites including YouTube, IDMB, etc. before watching the film and the consensus is that it's the saddest movie of recent.

R66 You've REALLY got to be a booger-eating moron--OR a contrarian in your case--to not realize that he killed himself. Seriously. The entire movie is built around HER memories especially the rave at the end where she's CLEARLY trying to save him...FROM HIMSELF.

Not to mention two well-known songs about suicide. That's pretty heavy foreshadowing.

by Anonymousreply 68February 3, 2023 4:14 PM

R68 why did you just reply to yourself?

by Anonymousreply 69February 3, 2023 4:15 PM

R69 Because I didn't?

by Anonymousreply 70February 5, 2023 9:54 AM

I agree, R53. Total slogfest. And yes, he commits suicide. How could anyone come away from the movie not knowing that?

by Anonymousreply 71February 5, 2023 10:02 AM

One man's slogfest is another man's thoughtful rumination.

by Anonymousreply 72February 5, 2023 12:55 PM

Imagine continuously replying to yourself

by Anonymousreply 73February 5, 2023 1:40 PM

Thanks to R56 for labeling your post.

Unfortunately others did not and now I may as well not fucking watch it.

by Anonymousreply 74February 5, 2023 1:44 PM

But based on your posting history you have watched it

by Anonymousreply 75February 5, 2023 2:31 PM

I’m watching it now, but I’m distracted because Mescal looks too young to be the dad of a 11 year old. Maybe because I last saw him in Normal People were he was a college student.

by Anonymousreply 76February 15, 2023 1:30 AM

The film acknowledges that he looks too young to be her father by having some of the hotel guests mistake him for her brother. And unlike that mistake being made everyday in the world of Datalounge, it doesn't actually make him feel good to not be seen as her father. Paul is 27 and he's playing 31.

by Anonymousreply 77February 15, 2023 1:37 AM

I thought he looked a bit young in the film to be playing 31 as well.

by Anonymousreply 78February 15, 2023 2:04 AM

He’s 26.

by Anonymousreply 79February 15, 2023 9:56 PM

I never thought I'd see a post on DL complaining about an actor being too young.

by Anonymousreply 80February 15, 2023 10:01 PM

He was playing a 31 YO. But even if he was playing a 26 year old (his real life age when this was released) he could still be the father of an 11 YO. Teenage parents are real, and in a way it would make his disconnect with her even sadder.

by Anonymousreply 81February 15, 2023 10:07 PM

What language are they speaking?

by Anonymousreply 82February 15, 2023 10:10 PM

I think we get that, R81. Nonetheless, he did not look 31. I thought the film was just ok, typical artsy fair that thinks it could get away with lack of plot because, well, it’s artsy.

by Anonymousreply 83February 16, 2023 9:45 PM

The film wasn’t artsy at all…

by Anonymousreply 84February 16, 2023 10:47 PM

I mean...he looks every bit of 31 IMO. I had no idea that he's still in his twenties. His being a young father definitely adds to the character's disregard of consequences.

by Anonymousreply 85February 17, 2023 10:30 AM

I thought this movie promised more than it delivered. It was a good premise poorly executed.

by Anonymousreply 86February 17, 2023 11:32 AM

Sounds like a lovely and honest and thought-provoking work. As a daughter of an emotionally-distant father, though, I can’t bring myself to watch it. It will just trigger my depression, as the kids say.

by Anonymousreply 87February 17, 2023 12:02 PM

Yes, I did. But basically because the young dad looked hot in the trailer. He was OK, one of those people who look great and then 10 seconds later look like a troll depending on the angle.

Oh, and the movie was boring as shit. Millennial navel-gazing.

by Anonymousreply 88February 17, 2023 12:04 PM

If I was his son I’d be presenting hole and sucking daddy dick every day. Incest is a unique part of gay sexuality and I don’t like str8 an intruding into that space. Dad son sex is a sacred act of male communion.

by Anonymousreply 89February 17, 2023 12:25 PM

Nice but over hyped. I felt similarly about Boyhood. Critics are too adoring of somber and realistic coming of age tales.

by Anonymousreply 90February 17, 2023 12:26 PM

Dear God. He keeps commenting over and over as if his negative comments are going to keep GROWN ASS ADULTS from seeing it. This isn’t middle school, and it seems this film was not for someone like you, someone with no job who lives on DL trolling.

by Anonymousreply 91February 17, 2023 1:59 PM

R91 has trouble with dissenting opinions, it would seem. Are you talking to anyone in particular?

by Anonymousreply 92February 17, 2023 10:29 PM

R92 no, I encourage opinions. I don’t encourage a looney unemployed freak commenting over and over from different accounts that lead to the same location.

by Anonymousreply 93February 17, 2023 10:59 PM

[quote] has trouble with dissenting opinions, it would seem. Are you talking to anyone in particular?

I’m wondering if there is a publicist on this thread or they started it. People see movies and have varying opinions. They should go look at Rotten Tomatoes. Very weird comment at R91.

by Anonymousreply 94February 17, 2023 11:51 PM

R94 I think R91 believes that he's successfully discovered a perp through some trolldar method posters use to "catch" people.

by Anonymousreply 95February 18, 2023 10:49 AM

Charlotte Wells, the director of Aftersun, just won a directors guild award tonight for "Outstanding Directorial Achievement of a First-Time Feature Film Director."

Now on to BAFTA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 19, 2023 4:38 AM

R96 she won the BAFTA tonight. Much deserved. And I loved her speech. She seems so cool and chill.

by Anonymousreply 97February 19, 2023 10:09 PM

It was a beautiful film.

It went in directions I wasn't expecting.

At first, it was sort of creeping me out. With the implication that they had to share a bed (later revealed to be false) and all the smearing of lotion, I was getting a creepy incest foreshadowing.

And then when she goes looking for her father and spies on two men making out in an alcove, I thought one of them was going to be revealed to be her father. It wasn't, but I still wondered if that was in there to tell us something about him.

The problem I had with the movie was with the crucial rave scenes. With the constant strobing, it was very difficult to make out what was going on. I didn't get that it was the adult daughter at first. Because he looked the same age, I assumed that this was a more recent memory. I thought maybe he was meeting his wife.

by Anonymousreply 98March 2, 2023 1:06 PM

[quote] Incest is a unique part of gay sexuality and I don’t like str8 an intruding into that space. Dad son sex is a sacred act of male communion.

Too much porn + too little mental health = comments like this, even in jest

by Anonymousreply 99March 2, 2023 1:58 PM

R98 he was the same age because the rave scenes represent her memories of him and he was the same age in those moments as he was when she was a kid because that was the last time she saw him, so that is what he looks like in all her thoughts of him. She remembers him in the final moment she ever saw him (as most of us would) and he lives in her memory as the same 31 year old man, 20 years later.

by Anonymousreply 100March 2, 2023 1:59 PM

If the movie is her memory of him, why do we see her waving at the airport? Wouldn’t the memory be from her perspective, ie, the image of him waving or at least the image of him reacting to her waving? Isn’t that how memory works?

This movie was merely “Meh” for me, dawg, and that lead guy ain’t all that

by Anonymousreply 101March 2, 2023 3:36 PM

R101 it’s a movie. Not a fucking documentary where a girl recorded her vacation with her father. We are gonna see both of them.

The rave scene didn’t actually happen.

by Anonymousreply 102March 2, 2023 3:39 PM

R101, the uneducated BROKE mofo with no job who lives on DL didn’t even watch the movie. As if a movie like this would hold the attention of someone so uneducated and bottom-tier.

by Anonymousreply 103March 2, 2023 3:40 PM

[quote]If the movie is her memory of him, why do we see her waving at the airport? Wouldn’t the memory be from her perspective, ie, the image of him waving or at least the image of him reacting to her waving? Isn’t that how memory works?

Isn't she watching the video that her father took at the airport on her TV? So it will be from HIS perspective.

I assume she recovered the camera after he died.

by Anonymousreply 104March 2, 2023 3:43 PM

We don’t even know that he died lmao. The movie leaves it very open.

by Anonymousreply 105March 2, 2023 3:44 PM

R105 Some of us don't need to see someone swinging from a rope to know that they died.

We don't need everything beat over our heads to get it.

by Anonymousreply 106March 2, 2023 3:46 PM

[quote]The movie leaves it very open.

Media literacy is in the toilet. He died.

by Anonymousreply 107March 2, 2023 3:56 PM

[quote] We don’t even know that he died lmao. The movie leaves it very open.

The movie does leave it open a bit, but when you put the pieces together the viewer is left with the impression that the worst happened to him.

I've seen several interviews with the director, and someone in the audience finally asked her about her father. She didn't want to talk about it in any detail, but she did say her father died, and that he died soon after their vacation together. That's all she would say.

by Anonymousreply 108March 2, 2023 3:57 PM

Her father looks gay in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 109March 2, 2023 4:37 PM

I said it up thread but there is a TON of foreshadowing. There are two pretty big songs associated with suicide in the film.

ALSO? The entire movie is based on her memories as she's sadly watching videos. Would she be doing that if he were still alive?

I mean...it's NOT neuroscience.

by Anonymousreply 110March 4, 2023 10:31 AM

The most unforgettable parts of this film was the subtle ways the film implied the father was in the midst of a depression. I honestly thought when we walked towards the ocean at night, he wasn’t coming back. It’s pretty obvious to me he committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 111March 4, 2023 11:33 AM

R110 have you thought that he possibly… abandoned her???? Death isn’t the only way to lose contact with someone. You can’t possibly be that dense…

Abandonment was foreshadowed in a much larger scale than death.

by Anonymousreply 112March 6, 2023 2:09 AM

R111 we know. You’ve said the same thing over and over again on more than one account. I would slow that down before Muriel catches wind and red tags them all.

by Anonymousreply 113March 6, 2023 2:10 AM

This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 6, 2023 2:10 AM

R113 Are you the same poster who thinks that people are logging into different accounts to post in this thread? You need to chill. Fuck is wrong with you?

R112 Nah. Abandonment never crossed my mind because there’s really no sign of that being the reason she’s grieving as an adult. Dude, if we watched the same film, you saw that she was a precocious child and knew that her father was a loser. She knew what was up. She didn’t OUTWARDLY appear to suffer from him not being present in her life. Not saying that wasn’t a factor in her grief, as I imagine it would be, BUT they practically dropped an anvil on your head that it was suicide.

You’re being argumentative--which is fine--if you actually had something to contribute.

by Anonymousreply 115March 6, 2023 12:48 PM

R115 what don’t you get at this point??? We know anytime you post. Get it.

by Anonymousreply 116March 6, 2023 1:12 PM

The way this brilliant film re-contextualized the song “Under Pressure” is incredible. Now anytime I hear that song I think of Callum.

PS, the “club” scenes represent adult Sophie finally seeing and understanding her fathers dark parts and depression now that she is an adult. She didn’t understand it at the time but now, as she replays that final vacation with him in her head, she sees it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 22, 2023 12:03 AM

Who does the lesbian actress play?

by Anonymousreply 118March 22, 2023 12:21 AM

This young man who is studying film at UCF loved it. Like myself upthread in the OP, he said Mescal should be nominated for an Oscar but most likely won’t. Happy we were both proven wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 22, 2023 12:31 AM

This young woman says this film has the most accurate portrayal of depressions she’s seen in a film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 22, 2023 12:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!