Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Old Timey Christmas Trees Sucked

It's like they didn't even care. Look at that mess. This family just went outside and picked up the first thing they found on the side of the road.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2022 3:01 AM

It looks pretty cool actually OP.

by Anonymousreply 1December 23, 2022 12:30 AM

The best example of this is wealthy widow Jane Wyman’s tree in All That Heaven Allows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 23, 2022 12:36 AM

It’s cloning and improvement to the varieties that are grown. The Fraser and Douglas Firs in particular have been improved and grown in 2/3rds of the time they used to.

by Anonymousreply 3December 23, 2022 12:37 AM

I agree, OP. It’s bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 4December 23, 2022 12:38 AM

What's bizarre R4?

These images are from a time before the mass production of plastic garbage which we are inundated with now.

by Anonymousreply 5December 23, 2022 12:41 AM

I grew up with plenty of Christmas trees like the one pictured. There were not a lot of options to choose from, you had to take what you could get. Since everyone had trees like this, there was no expectation of having a "perfect" tree.

It's funny that when I was young, I did not like hanging loose tinsel. I thought it was messy looking. Now I kind of like it ... nostalgia will do that to you.

by Anonymousreply 6December 23, 2022 12:43 AM

Why exactly was there a shortage of proper, full-looking Christmas trees back then? Had they not been cultivated into existence yet? I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 7December 23, 2022 12:46 AM

They're charmingly imperfect.

by Anonymousreply 8December 23, 2022 12:47 AM

I remember being a kid and my Mother fretting over picking the right tree. And even after we got it home, my Dad had to "even it out" before she started decorating it. It was a whole process.

by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2022 12:50 AM

I was a child in very rural Mississippi - my grandmother would send one of her sons to cut a tree down - it would be about 4 feet tall, I believe, and very straggly. Then she had a few ornaments - maybe some tinsel. It was much more about the ritual of having a live tree there by the fireplace and waking up to gifts and fruit - always oranges. I like that memory much more than the lavish trees my mother/other families had in the city. All about how pretty it could look - like who cares? Well, I didn't, anyway. Marie Condo would have approved.

by Anonymousreply 10December 23, 2022 12:54 AM

Isn’t that just a photo of a heavily bearded Gen-Z’er? A male or maybe even a female one??

by Anonymousreply 11December 23, 2022 12:55 AM

OP, you're a hick. With bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 12December 23, 2022 12:55 AM

[quote]This family just went outside and picked up the first thing they found on the side of the road.

Like yours did with you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 13December 23, 2022 12:57 AM

There was probably a lot of Bailey's Irish and love in that room, though.

by Anonymousreply 14December 23, 2022 12:58 AM

[quote]This family just went outside and picked up the first thing they found on the side of the road.

But, in time, they grew to love you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15December 23, 2022 1:01 AM

Roadkill Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 16December 23, 2022 1:16 AM

Old timey trees were a little sparse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 23, 2022 1:25 AM

This one is lovely. From the 1950s:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 23, 2022 1:41 AM

Those hideous fake silver trees, with a bunch of same-colored balls hanging down - that was the worst (1960s)

by Anonymousreply 19December 23, 2022 1:44 AM

R17: Thank you for that photo of Miss Jayne Mansfield.

Our parents would tie extra branches to fill in the skimpy areas of the tree.

by Anonymousreply 20December 23, 2022 1:46 AM

Turn on the lights, OP.

by Anonymousreply 21December 23, 2022 1:53 AM

[quote] Those hideous fake silver trees, with a bunch of same-colored balls hanging down - that was the worst

A lot of families in 60s suburbia seemed to consider them the latest and coolest in holiday decor and proudly displayed them in their massive picture windows.

One house on my town’s main street had a backlit rotating disc that morphed their silver tree’s hue from blue to red to green on a continuous loop. You could see it from a mile away. It was…a real eye catcher.

by Anonymousreply 22December 23, 2022 2:09 AM

Aluminum trees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 23, 2022 2:12 AM

^^ The couple on the left look absolutely surreal. They could have been the Coneheads’ neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 24December 23, 2022 2:16 AM

^Or the B-52's parents.^

by Anonymousreply 25December 23, 2022 2:42 AM

I wonder which of them sits in the tiny rocking chair?

by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2022 3:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!