Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dreaming of a White Christmas? 'Potential blockbuster' snowstorm is brewing

A major snowstorm may be brewing over the central and eastern U.S. in the days before Christmas with the potential to complicate holiday travel.

The likelihood of a "potential blockbuster system" hitting before Christmas is increasing, AccuWeather forecasters said, although high-confidence forecasts for Christmas Day are still several days away.

The storm is also expected to coincide with an outbreak of Arctic air forecast to drop temperatures to "bone-chilling levels," according to AccuWeather. The National Weather Service forecast below-average temperatures in the days before Christmas throughout most of the country, including the East Coast, South and Midwest, as the Arctic airmass heads toward the Midwest and Ohio.

From Dec. 22 to 24, snow may extend from the southern Plains to the Midwest, Northeast, and possibly interior Southeast states, according to AccuWeather. Snow, falling temperatures and strong winds may lead to slippery travel conditions from parts of the lower Mississippi Valley to the Midwest and Northeast states.

"This storm will likely become intense, feeding on the extremely sharp variation between the surging arctic air arriving from the Central states and relatively warm air across the Southeastern U.S.," AccuWeather Chief Meteorologist Jon Porter said.

Forecasters will have a clearer picture of the storm's path and where may receive the heaviest snow as Christmas approaches.

Meanwhile, a nor'easter may dump up to two feet of snow on parts of Maine on Saturday.

Winter weather warnings are in effect through Saturday in parts of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York, which may see dangerous travel conditions and scattered power outages, according to the National Weather Service.

The winter weather is part of a powerful storm system that has spanned a week. Friday, over 5 million people in the Northeast United States faced winter storm warnings while blizzard conditions slammed the upper Midwest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 19, 2022 3:31 AM

Time to call Rudolph!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2022 11:15 AM

Miss Champion must be having multiple orgasms over this impending storm.

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2022 11:19 AM

It snowed in parts of Australia last week. But it's summer. We're supposed to be worrying about bushfires!

Even our winter snow is nothing compared with what you're talking about, though, so hunker down and stay safe.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2022 11:23 AM

r3 thats what u get 4 letting big coal smashed over renewables

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2022 11:51 AM

R4

Damn you Americans and your plastic straws for getting us into this mess!

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2022 12:11 PM

I guess that I better stock up at the grocery store today, rather than waiting.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2022 12:19 PM

Where are you at, R6?

Midwest or Northeast?

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2022 12:25 PM

[QUOTE] I guess that I better stock up at the grocery store today, rather than waiting.

So three boxes of Ring Dings instead of two?

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2022 12:28 PM

It's not just the midwest and northeast that need to worry.

Here in Miami, the low on xmas eve is going to be 48 and the high will only reach 59.

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2022 12:32 PM

Do you have heaters in Miami, or do you rely solely on extra clothing and blankets?

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2022 12:34 PM

Central air which includes heat r10.

I use it maybe 3 times a year.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2022 12:36 PM

If you think about it, the term "white Christmas" is pretty offensive and conveys white privilege, which is so embedded in our culture. So I politely ask that we use a more neutral term. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2022 12:43 PM

[quote] I politely ask that we use a more neutral term

How about Mauve Xmas?

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2022 12:45 PM

Piss yellow xmas?

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2022 12:45 PM

R12, It’s White Christmas so that people can feel assured Santa will deliver presents to homes instead of robbing them

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2022 12:51 PM

[quote] It’s White Christmas so that people can feel assured Santa will deliver presents to homes instead of robbing them

Actually, a White Christmas is only for blond haired, blue eyed children of the Northern Latitudes, and not the olive skinned illiterates of the southern countries, the sneaky yellow people of the orient, the beige savages of the islands, or those terrifying inhabitants of the dark continent.

Now go to bed, children. And sweet dreams.

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2022 12:59 PM

Let me guess: The worst snowfall of the century!!

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2022 1:02 PM

According to the forecasters in Michigan, the models are not agreeing and Thursday may be a rain/snow mix which will keep snow totals down, but they're not committing to anything yet.

I'm supposed to drive out to my Sister's place on Christmas Eve, but if we get a big storm and the roads are bad, she agreed that I should stay home.

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2022 1:04 PM

Bring it

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2022 1:05 PM

[quote] I guess that I better stock up at the grocery store today, rather than waiting.

Do it!

Bread. Water. Toilet Paper. Liquor. Canned Soup.

Fill up a gasoline container if you have one. Get a generator.

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2022 9:22 PM

I’m dreaming of a white sheet cake, op.

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2022 9:23 PM

[quote] I’m dreaming of a white sheet cake, op.

I'm just dreaming of a white sheet.

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2022 9:27 PM

I can't wait to wash my hair in snow.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2022 9:30 PM

I love to make yellow snow

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2022 11:23 PM

Just rain in NYC Thursday and Friday. It’s going to be in the high 40s. Much colder Christmas Weekend but clear and sunny.

by Anonymousreply 25December 19, 2022 3:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!